Habs UFA and RFA Signings

Who's to say that A. Kosty won't become that sniper?

I'm not saying he won't, but if everyone on the opposing team is covering a guy like Mats who thrives in those situations, would create a lot more room for A.Kosty to become a lethal sniper quicker. That alone would be worth having Sundin around.

So you'd risk losing Higgins and Komi next year?

You never can tell what's going to happen next year. Maybe Higgins will blow chunks again next year. We might get knocked out in the first round because Higgins misses a million open nets again and we won't want to sign him. Komi might have a career ending injury. My point was we'll clear the deck and worry about those signings when the time comes.

Next year we might let Tanguay and Kovalev walk, trade Laps and Higgns and bring in Pax and Chips. You don't know what we'll need next year , but this year we need Mats Sundin........... now.

Kapeesh?

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We NEED A SNIPER.

We WANT a sniper. I don't know if you can argue that the team that finished with the best overall offense in the league last year NEEDS more scoring. Especially when that team has already added Tanguay.

No matter how you twist things around about Sundin or Hossa. We NEED A SNIPER. We have been lacking that for years. There is enough young talent on this team to survive a decent season and make the play-offs but a player that all opposing teams would mark and cover would really open up the ice for our kids and that's what we need badly. I'd match Vancouver's price and roll on with the season. 2 friggin years is nothing. Who else are we going to get? There is no-one. All guys that would make a difference are tied up for years. Go for it Bob!!!!! We can open up cap space next summer and only worry about that then.

I don't think the Habs can match 10M per

We WANT a sniper. I don't know if you can argue that the team that finished with the best overall offense in the league last year NEEDS more scoring. Especially when that team has already added Tanguay.

true enough TruthMonger. It's funny, I keep forgetting that. Even though we scored the most goals I feel we still had trouble scoring. Especially during the Philly series when it mattered most. It was our powerplay that inflated those numbers. I would rather end in the top 10 on the powerplay, #1 in goals against and have a solid 5 on 5 goals for stat. I think Mats would help that stat and our goals wouldn't seem so hard to come by, even though we scored a lot last year.

tough to say without the halak, O'Byrne and gorges contracts signed, but they'd almost certainly need to get rid of either Dandenault or Bouillon.

You are probably right. Let's match it anyway and then clean up with trades or waive guys. A lot of teams are in cap trouble so now is the safest time to waive players to make room. I think Gainey could figure it out and not hurt the team's future.

We don't need another sniper - we have plenty (Kovy, A Kost, S Kost, now Tanguay...).

We need a horse who drives to the net, parks there, whacks at loose pucks / rebounds and smashes the f**k out of d-men.

Or a mammoth ctr who does some of the above.

Edited by tokyohabs

We don't need another sniper - we have plenty (Kovy, A Kost, S Kost, now Tanguay...).

We need a horse who drives to the net, parks there, whacks at loose pucks / rebounds and smashes the f**k out of d-men.

Sign Sundin, tell Latendresse what his job really is, bring in Pax, get rid of Dandy, get rid of Kostopolous. That would be a good start.

Bertuzzi?

Would he fill you need for a knucklehead to block the goalie and get garbage goals?

Who said knucklehead? Umberger sure looked like a knuckehead against us while we were dancing along the boards, floating in shots against Biron.

Holstrom and Franzen, knuckeheads? Morrow? Staal?

Bertuzzi, no thanks. He is a bona fide knuckehead.

I agree with you Saks, Latendresse needs way more edge. Higgins could do better in tight spots as well, thinks too much for his talent level. Who knows yet about Pacioretty, maybe the real thing.

By snipers, I meant more precision players when listing Tanguay. Though SK is maybe potentially a sniper-shooter.

NO they can't. Right now the Hasb have 45.8 million on the payroll. We still have to sign O'Byrne, Halak, Gorges and Grabovsky. These 4 will cost us at least 2.5 million$ The habs would have about 8.4 million$ left under the cap. UNless we buy out Dandy(at 1.1 million$) we would have an extra 600,000$ left to spend on sundin, which would mean we would have 9 million$ left to spend.

I'm not saying he won't, but if everyone on the opposing team is covering a guy like Mats who thrives in those situations, would create a lot more room for A.Kosty to become a lethal sniper quicker. That alone would be worth having Sundin around.

Obviously having Sundin on this team will make everyone better. What I'm saying is that we don't NEED him.

My point was we'll clear the deck and worry about those signings when the time comes.

That is a recipe for disaster. I don't believe Higgins had a bad year last year. HE did score 27 goals and for a 24 year old, i think that is good. There's a good chance he'll score 30 next year, and I want him signed to a medium to long term deal ASAP. As far as Komisarek getting a career ending injury, you can't think like that. IN his 4 years in Montreal, he has shown us that he's not injury prone, there's no reason to beleive he will get injured. Obviously, a really unlucky hit cold injure him seriously, but if we were to start thinking like that, we would never give long term contracts to players.

The guy has shown us that he is a MONSTER and that we need his size and grit on this team.

Kapeesh?

There's no need to be a condescending ass! :rolleyes:

Edited by Habsfan

Sign Sundin, tell Latendresse what his job really is, bring in Pax, get rid of Dandy, get rid of Kostopolous. That would be a good start.

Hey...

Leave the Greek alone..

With all this money flying around we are gonna need as many minimum wage lunch box toting workers as we can get.

It's tough to replace this guys heart.... :wub:

Yea, they need to get tougher, as the playoffs showed them

Pacioretti was compared to Cole, but i saw him play alot last year, he is more like a young Ryan Smythe. He will definatley be a good player. Real good size, great speed, kills penalties and on the top PP at Michigan. He doesn't look like a natural goal scorer, he plays down low on the boards, in front of the net, gets alot of rebound "garbage" goals. He is actually a pretty good passer, good hockey sense.

Get rid of Kosto? He was the only Habs basically to get into a fight. He only won 1 or 2 but atleast he showed up/ I think Stewart's fight was the only convincing fight win all year.

Teams need players like Kosto and Begin. The do alot.

Pacioretti was compared to Cole, but i saw him play alot last year, he is more like a young Ryan Smythe. He will definatley be a good player. Real good size, great speed, kills penalties and on the top PP at Michigan. He doesn't look like a natural goal scorer, he plays down low on the boards, in front of the net, gets alot of rebound "garbage" goals. He is actually a pretty good passer, good hockey sense.

You are probably right, but i still don't think Pacciorety is ready for the NHL.

On a different note, i've been reading many articles in the different Montreal papers and almost all reporters/journalists/Bloggers agree that Bob did well not to join the crazy dance started by the other GM's across the league. He did good by not dishing out huge amounts of money for UFA's.

THey also all agree that Kostitsyn ad 9.75$ for 3 years is a bargain.

Edited by Habsfan

Everybody keeps forgetting that young players get better. I think that between Lats, both Kostytins, Higgins and perhaps Pleks, we have a clutch of players who have not yet discovered their ceiling. Any concern over our "lack of scoring" (!) needs to bear that in mind.

Next year might be big for Lats...if he can step it up a notch, the team's last real need up front (a big top-6 forward) could be addressed from within.

Get rid of Kostopolous :lol::lol::lol: Talk about UFA day insanity, that's right up there.

Everybody keeps forgetting that young players get better. I think that between Lats, both Kostytins, Higgins and perhaps Pleks, we have a clutch of players who have not yet discovered their ceiling. Any concern over our "lack of scoring" (!) needs to bear that in mind.

Agreed! :clap::clap::clap:

Get rid of Kostopolous :lol::lol::lol: Talk about UFA day insanity, that's right up there.

I wouldn't go that far. Inasanity? If you need cap room those are guys you clear first. Not an easy thing but he tops the list. Players like him are a dime a dozen when you need an extra million dollars. Your acting like he's Malkin and only being paid 1.5 million. Plus he doesn't bring all the players potatoes during the season.

Latendress will score at least 25 goals next year.

Depending on his linemates, I could see it. I would love to see him get an extended run on a top line

with a substantial amount of powerplay minutes.

No matter how you twist things around about Sundin or Hossa. We NEED A SNIPER. We have been lacking that for years. There is enough young talent on this team to survive a decent season and make the play-offs but a player that all opposing teams would mark and cover would really open up the ice for our kids and that's what we need badly.

*coughKovalevcough*

Anybody think that the floor off the cap is causing these outrageous contracts?

I haven't looked to see if any of the teams responsible for some of the bad contracts were under the floor

*coughKovalevcough*

Sure, but I just don't trust the guy. He blew me away last year. The year before he might as well have been benched all season. Which Kovy shows up this year? Plus he is easy to cover. Just hit him and if he doesn't disappear he becomes half the talent he usually can be.

With a guy like Mats you can't stop him even if you throw 5 guys on him. Big difference when you want to *coughcreateroomcough*

Take what I said with a grain of salt. I love Kovy, but Mats is more difficult to handle because he uses his skill and size together, not so much for Kovy, it's pretty much just skill with him.