Habs UFA and RFA Signings

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody think that the floor off the cap is causing these outrageous contracts?

I haven't looked to see if any of the teams responsible for some of the bad contracts were under the floor

I haven't and maybe I should because I just don't get how some of these teams seem to be loaded with multiple 8 million dollar players, while we struggle, yet we have one guy just over five as our highest paid player.I'm so pissed at the Nucks right now. Hopefully Mats realizes how shite they will be and takes less to play with us.

yet we have one guy just over five as our highest paid player.I'm so pissed at the Nucks right now.

Correction, we have 3 players who make more than 5 million$ per year(Tanguay, Markov, Hamrlik), and Two more who make over 4.5 million$ per year! (Koivu and kovalev)

If you need cap room those are guys you clear first. Not an easy thing but he tops the list.

I'd buy out Dandy before Kostopoulos!

Edited by Habsfan

We need Mats bigtime now! or our 100th birthday cup is in serious jeopardy.

What on earth makes you say that? Seriously. Another year of growth, experience, and improvement from our many young players. Tanguay replacing Streit and Chipchura replacing Smolinski. Two improvements there. The only question is the PP blueliner to go with Markov. Frankly, I have no doubt that Hamrlik, Kovalev, or maybe ever Sergei can play there and do well. We won the East last year and ran out of gas. The bitterness of defeat will make our guys work even harder this offseason so they won't tire during the playoffs again. We have no reason to think we can't play for the Cup next season, with or without another free agent. Stanley Cups are won in June, not July.

We need Mats bigtime now! or our 100th birthday cup is in serious jeopardy.

With Hossa joining the wings that is.

That signing was a shock. Wow, I thought he would take the money for sure.

Makes you wonder why he didn't re-up with the Pens for 1 year

Captain_Stealth might get annoyed at this but here goes...

Vancouver strikes again. $10 million for Sundin? What is this about, public relations or making Naslund happy?

Thanks for driving up the price. I have yet to bump into anyone of my friends or workmates who find this move remotely logical. I have no quam with him not going to Montreal. That's not the point. It's just generally annoying. Is Gillis reacting to Calgary and Edmonton making improvements?

Anyway, Sundin HAD BETTER sign there now. :angry:

Why in the world did Hossa accept a 1 year deal????

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242261&amp...s=topStory_main

I really don't get this move by Hossa. I can understand why he would take less money(7.4 million$) to play with the Red Wings, but why only 1 year???

The good thing about this deal is that the Wings won't be able to make an offer to Sundin.

Edited by Habsfan

What on earth makes you say that? Seriously. Another year of growth, experience, and improvement from our many young players. Tanguay replacing Streit and Chipchura replacing Smolinski. Two improvements there. The only question is the PP blueliner to go with Markov. Frankly, I have no doubt that Hamrlik, Kovalev, or maybe ever Sergei can play there and do well. We won the East last year and ran out of gas. The bitterness of defeat will make our guys work even harder this offseason so they won't tire during the playoffs again. We have no reason to think we can't play for the Cup next season, with or without another free agent. Stanley Cups are won in June, not July.

I'm very hopeful with our young team, no doubt, but a strong Detroit just got a whole lot stronger. I feel we need to keep pace at this point. Mats would help this team leaps and bounds and I want that as a fan. I'm not going to kill myself if it doesn't happen but would seriously be more confident in reaching a possible Detroit-Montreal final with him on our side than not. That's all.

I really don't get this move by Hossa. I can understand why he would take less money(7.4 million$) to play with the Red Wings, but why only 1 year???

The good thing about this deal is that the Wings won't be able to make an offer to Sundin.

What type of cap room do they have left? That must knock them out of the Sundin sweepstakes.

That leaves the Rangers with 11M to sign 7 players.

Montreal could still end up with the big prize

Edited by Wamsley01

I think it's great news. Shows that there are players out there willing to take lesser $$$ in order to have a legit shot at a Cup. Good on him and on the Wings. Means that Vancouver's $10M /year to Sundin isn't the be all and end all.

What type of cap room do they have left? That must knock them out of the Sundin sweepstakes.

The Wings have 52.6M committed to 20 players.

What? They only need to sign 3 players. 2 forwards and a backup for Henrik. They're still very much after Sundin and/or Jagr.

The Wings have 52.6M committed to 20 players.

I think Bob is going to wait it out and if Sundin says no will keep the cap space and shore up weaknesses

with short term deals.

Well, that is my hope :)

What? They only need to sign 3 players. 2 forwards and a backup for Henrik. They're still very much after Sundin and/or Jagr.

I just went off info from nhl numbers

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?tea...amp;season=0809

It says 15 players signed

With Roszival and Redden inked, the Rangers might be out of the Sundin sweeps. That is unless Jagr is finished in New York. Basically, we are in the same cap situation as the Rangers. The signing of Kostitsyn leaves us with $10.881 million in unused cap space and BOb still has to negotiate with restricted free agents Mikhail Grabovski, Ryan O'Byrne, Josh Gorges and Jaroslav Halak.

As far as Mats goes, is it about the money or is it about the desire to win? Can Gillis make further improvements to woo him roster wise? Does or will Mats feel that the roster is strong enough as is?

The only way BOb gets him now is to go par with Vancouver. :( If Montreal goes over cap, they can still commit to roughly $14.5 million in salaries to secure Mikhail Grabovski, Ryan O'Byrne, Josh Gorges and Jaroslav Halak and a top tier UFA. The problem is that BOb will have to get us down to $55 million by October by dumping dead weight.

Wishful thinking.

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

With Roszival and Redden inked, the Rangers might be out of the Sundin sweeps. That is unless Jagr is finished in New York. Basically, we are in the same cap situation as the Rangers. The signing of Kostitsyn leaves us with $10.881 million in unused cap space and BOb still has to negotiate with restricted free agents Mikhail Grabovski, Ryan O'Byrne, Josh Gorges and Jaroslav Halak.

As far as Mats goes, is it about the money or is it about the desire to win? Can Gillis make further improvements to woo him roster wise? Does or will Mats feel that the roster is strong enough as is?

The only way BOb gets him now is to go par with Vancouver. :( If Montreal goes over cap, they can still commit to roughly $14.5 million in salaries to secure Mikhail Grabovski, Ryan O'Byrne, Josh Gorges and Jaroslav Halak and a top tier UFA. The problem is that BOb will have to get us down to $55 million by October by dumping dead weight.

Wishful thinking.

I don't think it's wishful thinking at all...in fact, I think it's pretty easy to dump the dead weight. It's just whether they want to commit the $$$ to Sundin for 2 years. Frankly, it will be overpaying for an older player BUT it really doesn't matter to me what he's paid. If they can put out a fantastic team at the cap or a good team at $10M under the cap then, as a fan, I'll take the fantastic team every time...

The concern for deadline room is overrated IMHO...they can always dump guys in trades, or drop them to the AHL if they clear waivers. Cap room can be had at the deadline if they need it.

The only way BOb gets him now is to go par with Vancouver. :(

If Hossa can take almost two million less to play with a contender, then surely Sundin - who would ONLY be playing for a Cup (or the Leafs), would do the same. Vancouver may have offered a ton, but they have a pretty weak club out there.

If Hossa can take almost two million less to play with a contender, then surely Sundin - who would ONLY be playing for a Cup (or the Leafs), would do the same. Vancouver may have offered a ton, but they have a pretty weak club out there.

Agreed, I think if Sundin ever does make up his mind, he would be willing to play in Montreal for 8 million instead of the 10 million offered by Vancouver(a non-playoff team)!

With Roszival and Redden inked, the Rangers might be out of the Sundin sweeps. That is unless Jagr is finished in New York.

It all depends on what they do with Jagr.

I think Bob is going to wait it out and if Sundin says no will keep the cap space and shore up weaknesses

with short term deals.

This might be a good strategy by Bob. Wait it out(for SUndin), and the more time goes by, the more teams offer huge contracts to other players and can no longer afford Sundin. (ie: Detroit with Hossa, and hopefully NYR with Jagr) This will improve our chances with Sundin.

Edited by Habsfan

Agreed, I think if Sundin ever does make up his mind, he would be willing to play in Montreal for 8 million instead of the 10 million offered by Vancouver(a non-playoff team)!

It all depends on what they do with Jagr.

This might be a good strategy by Bob. Wait it out(for SUndin), and the more time goes by, the more teams offer huge contracts to other players and can no longer afford Sundin. (ie: Detroit with Hossa, and hopefully NYR with Jagr) This will improve our chances with Sundin.

Free Agents also come cheaper when you don't have deranged idiots throwing millions at them escalating the cost.

The great deals will get done later in the signing period

I really don't see how we can afford 8 million for Sundin unless we can dump Dandenault's salary. Currently we have 11 forwards, 4 D, 1 goalie, and Dandy signed for 44.9 million. O'Byrne and Gorges should both sign for under a million, I'll say 1.7 for the two of them. That makes 46.6 million. Say Grabovski is back for 800k, we're up to 47.4 million. That gives us a full compliment of forwards and defenseman, with Dandy as a spare player. Add in Sundin at 8 million and we're at 55.4 million with two spare players. Halak still needs to be signed, and he's a wildcard. I think he's gonna want more than a million, and that will put us right on top of the cap. That makes it very difficult to make any moves at the trade deadline and to bring up minor leaguers to fill in for non long term injuries that don't qualify for cap relief.

I'd love for BG to push for Jagr if Rags let him go.

Tanguay Koivu Jagr

Kovalev Plex Kosty

Higgins Kosty Lats

Begin Laps Kosto

That is feared firepower right there!

We may just be lacking a bit of toughness?

I really don't see how we can afford 8 million for Sundin unless we can dump Dandenault's salary. Currently we have 11 forwards, 4 D, 1 goalie, and Dandy signed for 44.9 million. O'Byrne and Gorges should both sign for under a million, I'll say 1.7 for the two of them. That makes 46.6 million. Say Grabovski is back for 800k, we're up to 47.4 million. That gives us a full compliment of forwards and defenseman, with Dandy as a spare player. Add in Sundin at 8 million and we're at 55.4 million with two spare players. Halak still needs to be signed, and he's a wildcard. I think he's gonna want more than a million, and that will put us right on top of the cap. That makes it very difficult to make any moves at the trade deadline and to bring up minor leaguers to fill in for non long term injuries that don't qualify for cap relief.

Well, one has to think that a guy like Dandenault will get moved. I would not be shocked to see Begin get moved, considering the ascendancy of Lapierre and Chipchura, although the cap savings from losing Begin would be relatively minimal.

Well, one has to think that a guy like Dandenault will get moved. I would not be shocked to see Begin get moved, considering the ascendancy of Lapierre and Chipchura, although the cap savings from losing Begin would be relatively minimal.

Yeah Steve barley makes over a million and he is injured all the time, Dandenault will want out sooner or later when he is not playing and in the press box night after night.