Habs UFA and RFA Signings

So we're paying a total of $1.6M for the Price-Halak tandem. Chicago is paying $12.3M for Khabibulin and Huet. And I'd rather have our two young kids in goal.

This is bloody impressive!

Actually, Price's bonus of $1.35 million counts against the cap too, so it's $2.975 million for the pair. Still a bargain, at any rate!

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad Halak is re-signed, but given that he's a former 9th round pick (not that it means much) with under 30 games NHL experience, I don't think he was going to get a ton of money elsewhere. $1.55M over 2 years seems like a reasonable and fair amount to pay. While Halak has shown he has the potential to be a good goalie, as a backup, he shouldn't be getting "paid for potential" as is the current trend in the NHL.

Gorges and O'Byrne to go. And a couple of AHLers (Locke, and someone else...I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment)

So who's left? O'Byrne , Gorges, and that's it?

Actually, Price's bonus of $1.35 million counts against the cap too, so it's $2.975 million for the pair. Still a bargain, at any rate!

Good thing I finished reading the page before responding, you beat me to it.

I'm glad Halak is re-signed, but given that he's a former 9th round pick (not that it means much) with under 30 games NHL experience, I don't think he was going to get a ton of money elsewhere. $1.55M over 2 years seems like a reasonable and fair amount to pay. While Halak has shown he has the potential to be a good goalie, as a backup, he shouldn't be getting "paid for potential" as is the current trend in the NHL.

Gorges and O'Byrne to go. And a couple of AHLers (Locke, and someone else...I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment)

you are absolutely correct sir imo.i have no idea why we would have paid more good signing bob

While Halak has shown he has the potential to be a good goalie, as a backup, he shouldn't be getting "paid for potential" as is the current trend in the NHL.

Likely a backup ... but both Price and Halak are still in the "potential" category -- Price, too, still has to prove that he can fulfill all the expectations that have been placed on him.

Hopefully the two will spur each other to better performances yet. May the best goalie win. ^_^

Wow, Halak for 1.5 over 2 and AK46 for 3.5 per are steals!

BG must be very good with words or something.

Let's say Gorges at 850k per, and O'byrne at 600k per, that leaves us with about 7 million left to spend.

Good offseason to say the least :clap:

Let's say Gorges at 850k per, and O'byrne at 600k per, that leaves us with about 7 million left to spend.

I'm starting to wonder if the Habs management didn't want to bench Ryan O'Byrne in the playoffs to be able to resign him for cheap; If O'Byrne had emerge in the playoffs like he did the previous year with Hamilton, he would have earned himself quite a few extra 100Ks. ;)

I'm just kidding... although I still find it strange that Carbonneau broke up a team that was playing so well - and with such good chemistry - in favor of Brisebois or especially Dandeneault. I still feel we should have given that great opportunity to O'Byrne so that at least he would grow with the experience, especially since he was playing with great confidence by the end of the season and considering the style of hockey the Bruins played.

They had alot of youth playiong, with O'Byrne playing especially against the flyers the Habs D core is pretty clow over all. Brisbois is a better skater and puck mover the O'Byrne. He'll progress.

Once Bouillon is out and McDonagh takes his spot the speed will certainly increased on the back end.

They had alot of youth playiong, with O'Byrne playing especially against the flyers the Habs D core is pretty clow over all. Brisbois is a better skater and puck mover the O'Byrne. He'll progress.

Once Bouillon is out and McDonagh takes his spot the speed will certainly increased on the back end.

Actually I would find it interesting to compare O'Byrne skating and puck moving abilities against Brisebois'. Because of experience, Brisebois is probably a better puck mover at this point of time, but I wouldn't be surprised if O'Byrne beat Brisebois in the skatind department.

Anyways, it doesn't really matter, and most likely would not have made much a difference (good or bad). However, I just think the Habs missed a great opportunity to give Ryan O'Byrne and Kyle Chipchura the opportunity to grow through playoff experience, but instead prefered two veterans were obviously not in the plans, and who really didn't bring much to the table in the first place (especially Dandeneault who's been useless all season long).

Actually I would find it interesting to compare O'Byrne skating and puck moving abilities against Brisebois'. Because of experience, Brisebois is probably a better puck mover at this point of time, but I wouldn't be surprised if O'Byrne beat Brisebois in the skatind department.

Anyways, it doesn't really matter, and most likely would not have made much a difference (good or bad). However, I just think the Habs missed a great opportunity to give Ryan O'Byrne and Kyle Chipchura the opportunity to grow through playoff experience, but instead prefered two veterans were obviously not in the plans, and who really didn't bring much to the table in the first place (especially Dandeneault who's been useless all season long).

Who would Chips have replaced? Smoke was very good in the playoff and the Begin, Lapierre, Bomb line

were great against the Bruins.

The youth got plenty of experience and if you remove Breezer against the Bruins maybe they get bounced in the first

round. Maybe that puts the seeds of choke in the kids mind, maybe it creates self doubt etc etc.

I am fine with the decision and the vets proved their value in the playoffs. I understand the mentality that you aren't going

to win anyway, why not see what the kids are made of, but I think they needed to win that first round.

Who would Chips have replaced? Smoke was very good in the playoff and the Begin, Lapierre, Bomb line

were great against the Bruins.

The youth got plenty of experience and if you remove Breezer against the Bruins maybe they get bounced in the first

round. Maybe that puts the seeds of choke in the kids mind, maybe it creates self doubt etc etc.

I am fine with the decision and the vets proved their value in the playoffs. I understand the mentality that you aren't going

to win anyway, why not see what the kids are made of, but I think they needed to win that first round.

Personally, I would have recalled Chipchura before the end of the season, and played him instead of Mathieu Dandeneault, who is just completely useless. The series is where he should shine, and he was playing great near the end for the Bulldogs.

Smolinski however did bring something to the table, an experienced centre who's had success in the NHL. There was no reason for him not to play, and indeed he was very effective against the Bruins.

As for Breezer, I would have liked to see O'Byrne, but I can respect that decision, especially since Streit wasn't 100% for the beginnining of the playoffs. I don't think he's made that much of a difference overall, although he was pretty good in the first couple of games. After that, he wasn't nearly as good as his stats indicated.

Personally, I would have recalled Chipchura before the end of the season, and played him instead of Mathieu Dandeneault, who is just completely useless. The series is where he should shine, and he was playing great near the end for the Bulldogs.

Smolinski however did bring something to the table, an experienced centre who's had success in the NHL. There was no reason for him not to play, and indeed he was very effective against the Bruins.

As for Breezer, I would have liked to see O'Byrne, but I can respect that decision, especially since Streit wasn't 100% for the beginnining of the playoffs. I don't think he's made that much of a difference overall, although he was pretty good in the first couple of games. After that, he wasn't nearly as good as his stats indicated.

He did have a GWG and I would criticize him for his defensive zone turnovers but the team was getting killed

on the forecheck and all the D were commiting them. Markov was less than spectacular and Hamrlik wore down

badly as the series wore on as well. Breezer is always going to commit that massive blunder, he did it in his prime.

But I don't really recall one breaking their back in the Bs series. The Philly series, different story.

If you ranked D-Men overall on their ability and expected contribution in the playoffs I think Breezer would have been in the top half.

Maybe that is because of injuries, but Markov and Komisarek were sub standard. Gorges gave it everything he had but was getting

killed night in and night out against the Bruins. Frankie B was what he always is.

Carbo and Gainey did not know what they were going to get from the youth, but knew the veterans could come through.

Most of them rewarded their faith with solid performances.

I felt Dandenault was invisible but removing him would have resulted in playing somebody out of position to get Chips in the lineup.

I like you can live with what they did. In hindsight, I would have liked to see how the kids dealt with the pressure. But they got as far

as they were going to with that team. Their flaws were ultimately exposed just like Philly's were in the next round.

It's a fine line between winning and getting your youth experience. So while O'Byrne and Chichura didn't get any experience alot of other youth did and that will definatley help this years team. Plus adding team toughness helped emensly, The Laraque interview pretty much said it like it was, they were soft and never fought back.

With Laraque, at least Gorges and Sk won't have to stick up there team mates anymore. :rolleyes:

:clap:

God I love how we got Gorges and Max for Rivet, and the Sharks got two 2nds only a year and a half later. Makes me smile inside.

According to RDS.ca it's 3.3 million$ for 3 years or 1.1 million per year.

This is excellent news!