Habs UFA and RFA Signings

I don't think the Habs would do that. That would be a classless move that a team like the Leaves or the Flyers would make. They might buy Dandy out, but I don't think they'd send him to the minors!

it's not a matter of class, it's part of a CBA that every player signed. if dandy is deemed to expensive to his team, he can be sent down to save salary, he still gets paid in full..he just rides the bus thats all.

buyouts count against the cap. the reason to send MD down is to save cap space.

I'm pretty sure the time for buy-outs has passed. That being said, I think Bob would trade Dandy before dumping him in the minors.

perhaps nobody wants hiom at his salary. unless a team thats struggles to reach the cap floor like NYI and ATL or L.A.

That's right, there are no more buy outs. My guess is that if we don't sign Brisebois, Dandenault will serve as our 7th defenceman - but if we do, then he'll be shopped around for whatever we can get.

teams will be allowed to buyout once again in august if i'm not mistaking.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's not a matter of class, it's part of a CBA that every player signed. if dandy is deemed to expensive to his team, he can be sent down to save salary, he still gets paid in full..he just rides the bus thats all.

buyouts count against the cap. the reason to send MD down is to save cap space.

perhaps nobody wants hiom at his salary. unless a team thats struggles to reach the cap floor like NYI and ATL or L.A.

teams will be allowed to buyout once again in august if i'm not mistaking.

We have 6.8 million left. If we want to create some more room to bring in Sundin, Gainey will have to do something. Dandy, Begin and Boullion will be the first sacrificed I think. I'm sure Gainey will try to trade them but if he can't they will be sent down. It is a business move that the players will have to understand.

It's not like we didn't give Dandeneault every opportunity to find a new niche on our roster, or to regain some trade value. Heck, he even got a few opportunities to play as a forward on the Koivu line, a chance that Andrei Kostsitsyn never got and not even Alex Perezhogin the year before.

Also, it's not like Dandeneault is a great NHL veteran with a brilliant career behind him, and that it should be considered a lack of respect to send him down to the minors. He's a marginal player who's very lucky to have a signed such a long contract with the Canadiens. There are plenty of guys like him in the AHL.

My guess is that we probably tried to shop him last year as well as recently, but nobody wants a marginal player making 1.75 million. Like Marc Denis, it might actually be the best thing for him to play in the minors, plus I think we're still short one regular defenseman for the the Bulldogs (Carle, Valentenko, Belle, Henry, Weber, and ???).

Another possibility could perhaps be to "buy" some cap room to a team like Los Angeles by trading them Dandeneault and a 2nd rounder (for example) for a 9th rounder or some marginal AHLer. However, why make that sacrifice while we can simply

It's not like we didn't give Dandeneault every opportunity to find a new niche on our roster, or to regain some trade value. Heck, he even got a few opportunities to play as a forward on the Koivu line, a chance that Andrei Kostsitsyn never got and not even Alex Perezhogin the year before.

Also, it's not like Dandeneault is a great NHL veteran with a brilliant career behind him, and that it should be considered a lack of respect to send him down to the minors. He's a marginal player who's very lucky to have a signed such a long contract with the Canadiens. There are plenty of guys like him in the AHL.

My guess is that we probably tried to shop him last year as well as recently, but nobody wants a marginal player making 1.75 million. Like Marc Denis, it might actually be the best thing for him to play in the minors, plus I think we're still short one regular defenseman for the the Bulldogs (Carle, Valentenko, Belle, Henry, Weber, and ???).

Another possibility could perhaps be to "buy" some cap room to a team like Los Angeles by trading them Dandeneault and a 2nd rounder (for example) for a 9th rounder or some marginal AHLer. However, why make that sacrifice while we can simply

Include a secnd rounder with dandy for nothing???

Last I checked LA was in tough to make the floor and we'd be doing them a favor, so they should send the draft pick.

That's right, there are no more buy outs. My guess is that if we don't sign Brisebois, Dandenault will serve as our 7th defenceman - but if we do, then he'll be shopped around for whatever we can get.

There's a "second look" buyout period after arbitration hearings are done, when you get a "second look" at your roster and decide if you want to make changes again. I don't know if having no players go to arbitration means you can't use this.

Boston will likely use a second look buyout on Glen Murray, because Wideman will probably push them over the cap.

We have 6.8 million left. If we want to create some more room to bring in Sundin, Gainey will have to do something. Dandy, Begin and Boullion will be the first sacrificed I think. I'm sure Gainey will try to trade them but if he can't they will be sent down. It is a business move that the players will have to understand.

Don't forget, it's more like $7.7m left, as Chipchura will be in the AHL if Sundin is on the team.

They still might want to make a roster move for more wiggle room.

BG won't buy Dandy or anyone else out. He already has done 2 and you only get 3 in 6 or 7 year period (i can't remember the exact length for buyouts)

Remember if Sundin is signed, Chipchura is almost a mill so he will moved to the AHL.

Teams like the kings or others who need to add space aren't going to add salary just to add it, the want a player who can help the team, Dandy is a back up on most teams.

BG won't buy Dandy or anyone else out. He already has done 2 and you only get 3 in 6 or 7 year period (i can't remember the exact length for buyouts)

Remember if Sundin is signed, Chipchura is almost a mill so he will moved to the AHL.

Teams like the kings or others who need to add space aren't going to add salary just to add it, the want a player who can help the team, Dandy is a back up on most teams.

The CBA has confused a lot of people about buyouts... apparently it is false that you only get 3 buyouts in total. There is no limit on "regular course" buyouts, but there is a cap on this second look buyout period/arbitration walk away.

It's somewhat bizarre.

And LA did pick up Denis Gauthier from the Philadelphia Phantoms and his over $2m cap hit this offseason, so I'm not convinced they wouldn't just add salary for the sake of adding salary.

This is an excellent signing by the Habs!!

CANADIENS ANNOUNCE THE SIGNING OF

MAX PACIORETTY TO A THREE-YEAR CONTRACT

MONTREAL (July 17, 2008) – Montreal Canadiens General Manager Bob Gainey announced today the signing of forward Max Pacioretty to a three-year contract (2008-09 to 2010-11). As per club policy, financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?service...rticleid=368613

I'm surprised nobody mentionned this:

Habs sign RW Mike Glumac

Canadiens GM Bob Gainey announced Wednesday the signing of free agent right-winger Mike Glumac to a one-year, two-way contract (2008-09). As per club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?service...rticleid=368484

Include a secnd rounder with dandy for nothing???

Last I checked LA was in tough to make the floor and we'd be doing them a favor, so they should send the draft pick.

That was just an example. The idea - if we can't make a legitimate trade and Gainey doesn't want to send Dandeneault to the minors - would be to buy cap room space like the Devils did 2 years ago. If I remeber correctly, they gave the Sharks a 1st round pick to relieve them of Vladimir Malakhov's contract.

However, Malakhov was over 35, and even in the minors his salary would count against the cap. We have that luxury, and it's not like we're talking about sending Saku Koivu to the minors; if players like Mogilny, Nedved, Gauthier, and others have been sent down, there's no reason we shouldn't do te same for Dandeneault.

He's been a burden for the last couple years, and we can't keep affecting the development of our young players just to please him (ex. Chipchura last season), or in this case risk not signing Mats Sundin.

This is an excellent signing by the Habs!!

CANADIENS ANNOUNCE THE SIGNING OF

MAX PACIORETTY TO A THREE-YEAR CONTRACT

MONTREAL (July 17, 2008) – Montreal Canadiens General Manager Bob Gainey announced today the signing of forward Max Pacioretty to a three-year contract (2008-09 to 2010-11). As per club policy, financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?service...rticleid=368613

He really must be head and shoulders above the rest as mentioned by timmins.... when was the last time we saw someone get signed so fast? and what I dont get is whats the difference with Guillaume Lats? wasnt he signed and had to either go to the big club or back to the minors? So how could he be playing in Hamilton?

Edited by CoRvInA

He really must be head and shoulders above the rest as mentioned by timmins.... when was the last time we saw someone get signed so fast? and what I dont get is whats the difference with Guillaume Lats? wasnt he signed and had to either go to the big club or back to the minors? So how could he be playing in Hamilton?

There's a agreement betweem the AHL and the CHL so that junior players under 20 cannot play in the minors; this ensures that WHL, OHL, and QMJHL keep most of their top young talents. For those prospects, it's either the NHL or the juniors.

There is no such agreement with the NCAA. Therefore, the Habs are free to send Pacioretty to Hamilton.

Edited by CerebusClone

There's a agreement betweem the AHL and the CHL so that junior players under 20 cannot play in the minors; this ensures that WHL, OHL, and QMJHL keep most of their top young talents. For those prospects, it's either the NHL or the juniors.

There is no such agreement with the NCAA. Therefore, the Habs are free to send Pacioretty to Hamilton.

i thought it had to be bc of agreements with the CHL... Another reason why its better to draft younglings from south the border!

Thanks Cerebus for the info.... btw is ur nick anyway related to the EVE online game?

Edited by CoRvInA

i thought it had to be bc of agreements with the CHL... Another reason why its better to draft younglings from south the border!Thanks Cerebus for the info.... btw is ur nick anyway related to the EVE online game?

The only problem with that logic is that the CHL is the best developmental league in the world for players in that age group.

The only problem with that logic is that the CHL is the best developmental league in the world for players in that age group.

Yes true true I miswrote that.. wanting to say another reason why the Habs take to signing south of the border the benefit of getting someone that could sooner than later become part of the system, if a prospect is AHL ready... I would think... Risk of burning aside that the AHl should be a good place to develop if the player is that ready.. I could See LAts benefiting immensely from an AHL season a year ago

Thanks Cerebus for the info.... btw is ur nick anyway related to the EVE online game?

It's based on the mythical Greek creature Kerberos (or Cerberus in English), the guardian of the gates of Hell... I basically mispelled it the first time I used it, althought I've seen "Cerebus" in a places and places...

Yes, Dandy became a backup here, but keep in mind we were the top team in the East. You put Dandy on most other teams and he'll be in the lineup on a nightly basis.

I'm not sure the CHL is still a better developmental league than the NCAA, or if they are, the difference is now slim. The level in college hockey has increased dramatically in the last decade, and their game is much closer to the NHL than the CHL's. Also, NCAA players play against older, physically stronger players than CHL players do while many CHL players require some time in the minors to learn basic things like how to use your body to protect the puck.

Most importantly, I really like the fact that college players get high quality educatation, and are generally more mature and cultured; there's a world of difference between an interview with a Komisarek, Higgins or O'Byrne as opposed to say, Begin or Ryder.

The NCAA route offers so many advantages ans options to players (like a diploma from a top US school in case things don't work out in pro hockey) while offering a very high level of competition that if I were a parent faced with that decision for my kid, the choice would be easy.

For NHL teams, at the very least, it is much better to draft late-round "projects" from the NCAA than from the CHL.