Bye Bye Ryder

simonus

You know, I'm bias here, I like the guy, but a lot of people here are so hateful.

He was the leading scorer on our team for a couple of years when goals were hard to come by, and gets shit on because of one bad year, which he wasn't the only one (see: higgins), and yet people are lusting over keeping Higgins, for whatever reason.

Why does everything have to be so negative? It cannot be, "see ya Mike, you don't fit in with our team anymore", it seems like you have to justify him not being resigned by us, by hating on the guy.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I'm bias here, I like the guy, but a lot of people here are so hateful.

He was the leading scorer on our team for a couple of years when goals were hard to come by, and gets shit on because of one bad year, which he wasn't the only one (see: higgins), and yet people are lusting over keeping Higgins, for whatever reason.

Why does everything have to be so negative? It cannot be, "see ya Mike, you don't fit in with our team anymore", it seems like you have to justify him not being resigned by us, by hating on the guy.

We are criticizing Ryder. There's no need for you to take it personally! ;)

Nice shot, hard worker, nothing else. Great moments in Le Comeback v. Rags.

Wow, Bruins desperate to reach the cap floor???

Bruins doing their best to stay under the cap ceiling.

By egregiously overpaying Ryder???

Only in Bawstuhn.

There's not a ton of guys who can score 30 goals in this league. For sure it's somewhat high, but nowhere near the worst contract we've seen in the last 24 hours.

New habskillers - Ryder in Boston and Samsonov in Carolina?

When did Samsonov kill the Habs? :blink:

Ah yes, I remember now, when he was playing for us.......

Maybe it's because I've seen my share of 30 goals scorers who could also do other things AND show up in the playoffs, so I place the bar a bit higher.

Not in Montreal, though. Ryder, Zednik, and Recchi are the only Habs to score 30 goals in the last 10 years. Until this year, the Habs were a team that couldn't score. Without the contributions of those guys, we might not have even made the playoffs in 2002, 2004, or 2007. I realize we didn't win the Cup any of those years, but once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen.

I am 100% confident that Ryder will burn badly us at least once this season. He is certainly a serious candidate to repeat as a 30-goal scorer playing with Marc Savard (although whether Savard is that much of an upgrade on Koivu as a playmaker is an open question that should lead us to be cautious about predicting 40+ for Mike). But I do find it interesting Higgins got 27 goals last season and nobody talks about him as a 'natural goal scorer' - despite the fact that he basically matched Ryder's career peak.

That contrast might be instructive. However much we fear this signing biting us on the ass, we have players - Kosty, Higgins - who have goal scoring totals basically equivalent to Ryder's and who are vastly better than him in every other area of the game. In short, we're simply too good a team now for Michael Ryder. The Bruins, with a significantly weaker lineup, will put him to good use; but he may simply not be the kind of player that really good teams carry.

I don't think Micheal Ryder lacked desire or hard work, he was just overrated by people in Montreal who had forgotten what a true quality winger looks like, and were ready to worship any average joe lucky enough to play with Saku Koivu, and get quality ice time.

It really isn't that hard scoring 25-30 goals in the NHL when you're getting first line duties, and lots of powerplay time; Ryder was a half decent shooter who got to complete opportunities from centers like Koivu and Ribeiro (I never liked him, and still don't care about his trade, however he does make superb passes every once in a while, and when on his game, has Thornton-like playmaking abilities).

After all, even Czerkawski and Berezin managed to score 35 and 37 goals respectively in the right context. Actually, you could probable get Steve Begin to score 30 goals in one career season if playing top minutes with great linemates. However, that wouldn't make him a quality offensive player, and doesn't mean he's really helping the team.

At last, Ryder is gone (he filled a hole for a while, but he was becoming a burden that prevented us from playing better young players like A.Kostsitsyn and Latendresse) and with the acquisition of Tanguay, Chris Higgins can finally go back to 3rd line duties, where he can be a great asset for us (he's not however a quality offensive winger).

Just for the record, nobody here is saying we regret losing him. We're just thanking him for bringing some goals and a willingness to shoot to a team that was horrible at those things during his first three seasons here. There's no need to defend or attack him here.

Ryder is a solid player that has his uses. He is, however, a one-dimensional player. Attack and, primarily, shot. On a team such as the Canadiens (run and gun offense where the attackers are required to be speedy to get back when needed) he really has no place. Comparing him to Higgins is a non-starter, at least for me. Higgsy scores at about the same rate (all things being equal) but can do so much more - he's a rounded player. Ryder will continue to find success in this league, but he'll need to be insulated. With better options already on hand that require infinitely less insulation, Montreal made a wise decision in allowing him to go.

Will he score on the Habs? You betcha. He'll be extra motivated and will have his best games in all likelihood. Is he the next John Leclair? Well, 10 year ago or so, I might say yes, but this is a different, faster NHL, and I'm not convinced Ryder can keep up over the long haul. He'll still get his goals, but his deficiencies will always be exposed. Leclair had the ability to clutch and grab far more to make up for his lack of speed and defensive skill.

Still, as an example of what someone can do with a lot of hard work and determination, Ryder is right up there in my books. He had every reason to believe he'd never be anything other than a two-bit ECHLer, but he battled back to the NHL because of a second-to-none work ethic (which he lost playing beside Ribeiro).

Comparing him to Higgins is a non-starter, at least for me. Higgsy scores at about the same rate (all things being equal) but can do so much more - he's a rounded player. Ryder will continue to find success in this league, but he'll need to be insulated. With better options already on hand that require infinitely less insulation, Montreal made a wise decision in allowing him to go.

I agree, that's why I mentionned that Higgins can be a great asset on the 3rd line. There, he can concentrate on his great two-way game while producing perhaps 40-45 points, which is excellent for a third liner with limited power play time. However, we were asking too much of him lasr season, especially considering that Carbonneau wanted him to play like a 6'2" 225lbs power forward... which he just cannot do.

With Kovalev, Tanguay, and the Kostsitsyn brothers, Higgins won't have to fill that role anymore. I see him giving us a high quality thirs paired with Latendresse and either Koivu, Plekanec, Chipchura or perhaps Sergei Kostsitsyn (if we sign Hossa or Naslund), all depending on who we sign/acquire this summer (if anyone).

Guess I get to see him in a preseason game here when the Habs s play the bruins in September.

Wearing the wrong colors though.

I wish wish him good luck, but I would never wish that on a Booin.

One last post for the avatar, Salute Mike

Glad to see him gone, was one-trick pony and Goalies figured him out - I am really suprised they paid $3 million for him.

They overpaid, plus the biggy is hes defensive liability -25 even when he scored 30 goals.

the best thing about ryder was, he is a great team mate, he didnt talk shit, he play ever role he was ask and never ran to the media and shot his mouth off about, his ice time and pp min. hats off to ryder for not being a bitch, like most over paid player in the nhl..

Edited by KEEP26

Glad to see him gone, was one-trick pony and Goalies figured him out - I am really suprised they paid $3 million for him.

They overpaid, plus the biggy is hes defensive liability -25 even when he scored 30 goals.

4 millions

New habskillers - Ryder in Boston and Samsonov in Carolina?

Stillman is now a Panther too. But I doubt he will get the chance to meet the Habs in the playoffs in Florida. :lol:

Bye Ryder! I'm sure he will light it up again being reunited with the coach in which he always light it up with. Julien definitely knows how to get Ryder to produce. Ryder has always been Juliens prodigy.

the best thing about ryder was, he is a great team mate, he didnt talk shit, he play ever role he was ask and never ran to the media and shot his mouth off about, his ice time and pp min. hats off to ryder for not being a bitch, like most over paid player in the nhl..

that part is very true even when Ribs that teammate of all teammates was slagging him say that he (ribs) would have a lot more points if Ryder could score. I have a lot of respect for mike ryder but 4 mill is way too much.

Because I've become greater than Zednik. He's the one who should change his name.

Lol. Touché :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with all you guys, but why would Carbo go and light a fire under his butt with a statement like this.

Ryder will suck next year except when he plays us. Hurtin for the certain!

One contract that must have surprised Carbonneau was the three-year, $12-million contract Canadiens' free agent Michael Ryder signed with Boston.

"He better share that with Claude," Carbonneau said, referring to Bruins head coach Claude Julien, who also coached Ryder in junior and at the start of his NHL career with the Habs.

Edited by SAKS-AVENUE

Agree with all you guys, but why would Carbo go and light a fire under his butt with a statement like this.

Ryder will suck next year except when he plays us. Hurtin for the certain!

One contract that must have surprised Carbonneau was the three-year, $12-million contract Canadiens' free agent Michael Ryder signed with Boston.

"He better share that with Claude," Carbonneau said, referring to Bruins head coach Claude Julien, who also coached Ryder in junior and at the start of his NHL career with the Habs.

I don't see the big deal with Carbo's statement. He's basically saying that Ryder got his chance in teh NHL thanks to Claude Julien(which is true)!

I don't see the big deal with Carbo's statement. He's basically saying that Ryder got his chance in teh NHL thanks to Claude Julien(which is true)!

I think he meant more than that... and he didn't say anything like that when Mike Ribeiro signed his contract, who could probably share his salary not only with Claude Julien but also Brendan Morrow who curiously now makes less than Ribeiro...