Gainey: Genius?

ForumGhost

Kovalev, Tanguay, Hamrlik, Gorges, Laraque, Kostopoulos, Begin and Dandenault are the current Habs roster players that Gainey has acquired through what ever means possible.

I like these players :clap::clap::clap:

As far as prospect moves go and BOb fleecing another GM; Doug Wilson immediately comes to mind acquiring Rivet. BOb won that trade with Pacioretty being part of the Gorges return. :clap: The Latendresse pick was orchestrated by trading our 55/56 to the Rangers to get down to 45th - Gui :clap:

Little by little. Subtle Gainey is starting to become more of a problem for those ABC fans out there. I hope it wrenches in their collective guts :lol: because this GM we have isn't finished yet. We could go on about his failures. Samsonov, Ribeiro-Niinimaa, Price instead of Kopitar and blah blah blah. I can't think of any others, can you? Blah blah

We're in excellent hands. He's no genius. He's an excellent guy who is one of the best in NHL management. On NHL ice he was Legend!

Genius no, Legend yes. :hlogo:

TRUST! :hlogo:

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kovalev, Tanguay, Hamrlik, Gorges, Laraque, Kostopoulos, Begin and Dandenault are the current Habs roster players that Gainey has acquired through what ever means possible.

I like these players :clap::clap::clap:

As far as prospect moves go and BOb fleecing another GM; Doug Wilson immediately comes to mind acquiring Rivet. BOb won that trade with Pacioretty being part of the Gorges return. :clap: The Latendresse pick was orchestrated by trading our 55/56 to the Rangers to get down to 45th - Gui :clap:

Little by little. Subtle Gainey is starting to become more of a problem for those ABC fans out there. I hope it wrenches in their collective guts :lol: because this GM we have isn't finished yet. We could go on about his failures. Samsonov, Ribeiro-Niinimaa, Price instead of Kopitar and blah blah blah. I can't think of any others, can you? Blah blah

We're in excellent hands. He's no genius. He's an excellent guy who is one of the best in NHL management. On NHL ice he was Legend!

Genius no, Legend yes. :hlogo:

TRUST! :hlogo:

Can't believe i just read the words Price and failures in the same sentence. But i don't think that you think it is a failure anyway. Everyone on this board is/should be happy about this pick, and I know you are.

GO :hlogo: GO GO Gainey GO !

Can't believe i just read the words Price and failures in the same sentence. But i don't think that you think it is a failure anyway. Everyone on this board is/should be happy about this pick, and I know you are.

GO :hlogo: GO GO Gainey GO !

I'll reserve judgment on that pick until the end of this season. So far, Price has an insufficient body of work to be judging the pick a success or a failure compared to Kopitar. I will say this: IF Price is a legit top ten in the league goalie...it won't even be close.

Can't believe i just read the words Price and failures in the same sentence.

Neither can I. To say that Price is a failure is a bit premature to me. The Kid did well last year (in his first NHL season), and I think it's safe to say he'll be better this year.

Edited by Habsfan

Neither can I. To say that Price is a failure is a bit premature to me. The Kid did well last year (in his first NHL season), and I think it's safe to say he'll be better this year.

He did well? Carey Price finished the season with 24 wins ans only 12 losses, with an average of 2.56 and a great save percentage of .920. Moreover, he was actually dominant after being recalled from Hamilton - not only for a rookie, but even compared to established goaltenders in the NHL - and posted numbers worthy of the Vezina trophy with 15 wins, 5 losses, a GAA of 2.26 and a whooping save percentage of .931.

During the playoffs, he was sometimes brilliant against the Bruins (although he had some downs, he was a 20yo rookie after all), and without him we may actually have been eliminated by the Bruins. After that, he had a tough series against Philly, although he didn't have much support from his teammates... big deal... even his Highness Patrick Roy has had his share of tough moments during the playoffs.

Anze Kopitar has the potential of becoming of very good offensive number 1 centre in the NHL, not a franchise centre but very good nonetheless. However, Price has the potantiel of becoming an elite goaltender in the NHL, perhaps even the best. Either way, it would have been a good pick, but Price looks like he might be even better...

He did well?

Yes, he did well. He wasn't excellent, he wasn't awesome. He was good ( I include the playoffs in my assessment of his season).

Once again, i'm not saying this as if it's a bad thing. The kid was 20 years old. He made mistakes and seemed to run out of gas towards the end of the playoffs. But that's all right. Considering that he played hockey for almost 2 years non stop, i kinda expected him to run out of gas towards the end. Hopefully with a good 4 months of rest, he will be refreshed and revitalised come next season!

Once again, Carey will be one of the better goalies in the league ( no doubt about it), but he will have to improve over last year if the Habs want to get further in the playoffs!

But i don't think that you think it is a failure anyway.
No, I don't believe Price was a bad move over Kopitar. I just threw those names in the "failure" portion of my post because I have heard others go on about this as a mistake. I suppose we can throw Beauchemin in there too but add up the good and subtract the bad moves and it's clear that the sum of everything considered comes out in the positive, not the negative.

JoeLassister for Premier Ministre

Yes, he did well. He wasn't excellent, he wasn't awesome. He was good ( I include the playoffs in my assessment of his season).

Once again, i'm not saying this as if it's a bad thing. The kid was 20 years old. He made mistakes and seemed to run out of gas towards the end of the playoffs. But that's all right. Considering that he played hockey for almost 2 years non stop, i kinda expected him to run out of gas towards the end. Hopefully with a good 4 months of rest, he will be refreshed and revitalised come next season!

Once again, Carey will be one of the better goalies in the league ( no doubt about it), but he will have to improve over last year if the Habs want to get further in the playoffs!

Figures it would be a Price conversation that would pull me from my summer vacation.

If what Price did was only "well" or "good". Please find me ten 20 year old goalies that played anywhere near that level post expansion.

Barrasso.....Roy.......and?

Go check his numbers against Luongo, Brodeur, Hasek, Belfour, Joseph etc etc at the age of 20 years old.

Amazing that a kid who wins a series, gets 2 shutouts in the playoffs and dominates down the stretch is being taken for granted all ready.

The kid had to win the Cup for people to rate his season as excellent? Unbelievable. :wacko:

Edited by Wamsley01

Figures it would be a Price conversation that would pull me from my summer vacation.

If what Price did was only "well" or "good". Please find me ten 20 year old goalies that played anywhere near that level post expansion.

Barrasso.....Roy.......and?

Go check his numbers against Luongo, Brodeur, Hasek, Belfour, Joseph etc etc at the age of 20 years old.

Amazing that a kid who wins a series, gets 2 shutouts in the playoffs and dominates down the stretch is being taken for granted all ready.

The kid had to win the Cup for people to rate his season as excellent? Unbelievable. :wacko:

That's what I've been saying all season. Carey Price had to live up to the image of the Roy-God, something even Patrick Roy himself didn't live up to. Some people would have been satisfied with nothing less than a Stanley Cup... and still...

That's what I've been saying all season. Carey Price had to live up to the image of the Roy-God, something even Patrick Roy himself didn't live up to. Some people would have been satisfied with nothing less than a Stanley Cup... and still...

what will they say when he wins his first in the very near future? He doesn't have 2 or 3 or 4.............................? it does make you wonder, some people have to blame someone and they chose Carey. Sad really that they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. :hlogo:

Geez...you'd think I was on a leaf forum talking to leaf fans! :nono: No need to get your panties in a bunch ladies! Just because I said Price was GOOD, people are saying I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground. I think a few of you didn't really take the time to read my entire post, and just enjoy ganging up on someone who has a SLIGHTLY different opinion!

Forgive me for reserving my final judgement on the kid until he has more than 30 games experience in the NHL! I'm not gonna start calling him the "next one" before he's proven anything! I'm not a leaf fan! :rolleyes:

I will not get all wet just because the kid played well for 30 games. It'll take more than that to get me really excited. I'm not expecting him to bring us the cup right away, but at some point in his career, it would be nice.

I will not get all wet just because the kid played well for 30 games. It'll take more than that to get me really excited. I'm not expecting him to bring us the cup right away, but at some point in his career, it would be nice.

I agree with you that 30-40 games don't make a career, there's no denying that. For all we know, Price could still become one of the worst 1st picks in the Canadiens history (although it doesn't seem likely at this point).

All I was saying is that Carey Price did better than "well", he did better than we should be expected from a 20 year-old rookie goaltender. He stepped up big time as a number 1 goaltender once we traded Huet - not to mention for the Canadiens where the pressure is extremely high and where every single play is over analyzed by the media and the fans - while posting numbers worthy of the Vezina trophy. Above the statistics, he looked as good as any veteran goaltender out there, and was solid.

He's also one of the main factors for us eliminatinf the Bruins, even though we did not deserve that series; the team was simply mediocre in front of him. Unfirtunately, he was not able to do the same against the Flyers, also having his share of problems... well he's not the first the have a bas series, even Roy, Brodeur, Hasek, and others have been there.

In other words, Carey Price had an excellent rookie season, and could hardly have done better.

Geez...you'd think I was on a leaf forum talking to leaf fans! :nono: No need to get your panties in a bunch ladies! Just because I said Price was GOOD, people are saying I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground. I think a few of you didn't really take the time to read my entire post, and just enjoy ganging up on someone who has a SLIGHTLY different opinion!

Forgive me for reserving my final judgement on the kid until he has more than 30 games experience in the NHL! I'm not gonna start calling him the "next one" before he's proven anything! I'm not a leaf fan! :rolleyes:

I am not making FINAL judgements on his career. I am judging what he did LAST SEASON.

You are viewing it as good or ok. Go look at his stats and compare him to his peers at 20 years of age.

He just had one of the best seasons for a 20 year old goalie in the last 50 years.

Roy was mediocre during the 86 regular season, greats like Dryden, Esposito, Belfour, Nabakov, Hasek were all in their mid to late 20s when they entered the league.

Brodeur was in Utica at 20, Luongo struggling on Long Island etc etc etc.

The expectations hoisted on him are ridiculous, and they are the reason that you come up with observations of good to ok.

If a 12 year old boy ran a 10.5 second 100m dash you would not judge him slow because he did not break 10 second barrier like the greats of the sport.

You would be amazed and then you would go back and look at what the greats ran at 12 years old to judge where he is.

Carey Price HAD A FANTASTIC SEASON.

Judging him against Luongo (29 yrs), Brodeur (36 yrs), Nabakov (33), Lundqvist (26) last year is ridiculous.

Edited by Wamsley01

I don't know how this topic can really even be debated. It's too early for anyone to make any kind of prediction. Price showed me last year that he has the potential to be the best goalie in the league for 10-12 years, but he also showed me he can be really, really bad for the next 10-15 years. Both sides of the fence can be directly related to his age and experience. Let's hope he becomes the best, that would be great for us Habs fans. I still remain in the chair I've been sitting in for a long while and feel that there will be a time during this season where Halak will be the go to guy and this forum will be calling for Gainey to trade the number 5 pick for a bag of pucks. Hey Walmsley! go back to your vacation and save your energy for the season. You are probably going to develop carpal tunnel from all the typing you will be doing in defense of our young netminder.

We should actually refrain from opinions on Price for two seasons because it's going to get out of control.

New rule. If you even mention Carey Price this season you will be banned until his career is over. :D Now can we get back to attcking Saku please? It's been a while. * as I duck under the table*

Saks, You forgot to mention not only will his age be a factor in how he does but the D zone coverage in front of him.

Last year was much better defensively but i still wouldn't call the habs a top flight defensive team in there own end. Thye still need to improve winning some battles and clearing the puck more effeciently.

I am not making FINAL judgements on his career. I am judging what he did LAST SEASON.

You are viewing it as good or ok. Go look at his stats and compare him to his peers at 20 years of age.

He just had one of the best seasons for a 20 year old goalie in the last 50 years.

Roy was mediocre during the 86 regular season, greats like Dryden, Esposito, Belfour, Nabakov, Hasek were all in their mid to late 20s when they entered the league.

The expectations hoisted on him are ridiculous, and they are the reason that you come up with observations of good to ok.

If a 12 year old boy ran a 10.5 second 100m dash you would not judge him slow because he did not break 10 second barrier like the greats of the sport.

You would be amazed and then you would go back and look at what the greats ran at 12 years old to judge where he is.

Judging him against Luongo (29 yrs), Brodeur (36 yrs), Nabakov (33), Lundqvist (26) last year is ridiculous.

:clap:

Disagree. What Habsfan said may be slightly understated, but it's about right. I don't really care about his age. Next year, do we only compare him to 21 year olds from years past? Bottom line is, Price is an NHL goalie, and he should be compared against other NHL goalies.

That said, his stats stack up very well. However, he had a bit of a tough time for awhile, leading him to be sent to the minors, and he had a rough go in the Philly series. It happens. I can understand his age being used to explain these struggles, but not to say he can't be compared to any other goalies, period.

Your 12 year old boy analogy doesn't really fit, either. Price is not physically or mentally immature. In the future, he may do better, but there's a real chance he may do worse (Steve Penney was pretty good for a little while).

Disagree. What Habsfan said may be slightly understated, but it's about right. I don't really care about his age. Next year, do we only compare him to 21 year olds from years past? Bottom line is, Price is an NHL goalie, and he should be compared against other NHL goalies.

That said, his stats stack up very well. However, he had a bit of a tough time for awhile, leading him to be sent to the minors, and he had a rough go in the Philly series. It happens. I can understand his age being used to explain these struggles, but not to say he can't be compared to any other goalies, period.

Your 12 year old boy analogy doesn't really fit, either. Price is not physically or mentally immature. In the future, he may do better, but there's a real chance he may do worse (Steve Penney was pretty good for a little while).

Thank you!

Don't care about his age? That is the whole point. He is way ahead of the curve and so far ahead that you are comparing him to guys 5-15 years older than him.

You are placing expectations on him of veteran NHL goalies, All-Stars, Award winners and Stanley Cup winnners. He was a 20 year old ROOKIE!

Instead of being in awe of a performance that few in NHL history have under their belt some want to look for negatives.

Bringing up Steve Penney? Come on, a 23 year old who achieved very little before or after his miracle run has absolutely nothing in common with Carey Price outside of the CH.

So if you think my analagy/comparison is off, take a look at your own. Jim Carey would have been a much better example.

But once again, I do not care what he accomplishes next year in the context of this conversation. I am referring to what HAS happened last year and comparing it to what HAS happened in the past.

The point is that history has shown that EVERY 20 year old goalie suffers from inconsistency, EVERY 20 year old goalie shows flashes of brilliance and 90% of 20 year old goalies DO NOT MAKE THE LEAGUE!

The expectation that Price should have performed better than he did is ridiculous. Where have you guys plucked this standard from to compare him?

Please somebody go and find me more than 3-4 goalies in the last 50 years who accomplished what he did last season at 20 or less. THEY DO NOT EXIST.

Expecting him to compare with guys with 5-10 years experience and Vezina/Stanley Cup wins is insane. It is unrealistic expectation and a standard that NOBODY, not even Patrick Roy attained.

Over 50 years there has been less than 1% of NHL goalies meeting your make believe standard, and this makes sense how?

And SAKS, I take your post with a wink and a smile ;) , but I am not defending Price. Just a simple analysis of what he achieved last season and the unrealistic expectations that have been placed upon him.

Edited by Wamsley01

Don't care about his age? That is the whole point. He is way ahead of the curve and so far ahead that you are comparing him to guys 5-15 years older than him.

Instead of being in awe of a performance that few in NHL history have under their belt some want to look for negatives. Bringing up Steve Penney? Come on, a 24 year old who achieved very little before

or after his miracle run has absolutely nothing in common with Carey Price. So if you think my analagy is off, take a look at your own

The point is that EVERY 20 year old goalie suffers from inconsistency, EVERY 20 year old goalie shows flashes of brilliance and 90% of 20 year old goalies DO NOT MAKE THE LEAGUE!

The expectation that Price should have performed better than he did is ridiculous. Please somebody go and find me more than 3-4 goalies in the last 50 years who accomplished what he did last season at 20 or less.

THEY DO NOT EXIST.

Expecting him to compare with guys with 5-10 years experience and Vezina/Stanley Cup wins is insane. It is unrealistic expectation and a standard that NOBODY, not even Patrick Roy attained.

And SAKS, I take your post with a wink and a smile ;) , but I am not defending Price. Just a simple analysis of what he achieved last season.

I guess we'll agree to disagree then.

IMO, age comparisons are interesting when they're younger, like a 12-year old Gretzky playing against 17 year olds (or whatever it was he did). In the NHL, players of all ages suffer from inconsistency, can show flashes of brilliance, etc. A legend like Hasek gets benched. Age doesn't matter - only performance. Saying a 'good' or 'very good' season from any other goalie is an 'excellent' season because the goalie happens to be 20, doesn't make the season any better.

For the record, I do like Price, and think he will be a fine goalie for the Canadiens for many years.

I guess we'll agree to disagree then.

IMO, age comparisons are interesting when they're younger, like a 12-year old Gretzky playing against 17 year olds (or whatever it was he did). In the NHL, players of all ages suffer from inconsistency, can show flashes of brilliance, etc. A legend like Hasek gets benched. Age doesn't matter - only performance. Saying a 'good' or 'very good' season from any other goalie is an 'excellent' season because the goalie happens to be 20, doesn't make the season any better.

For the record, I do like Price, and think he will be a fine goalie for the Canadiens for many years.

It is about expectation.

Expecting Price to play at an All-Star level as a 20 year old has been accomplished ONCE in the last 40 years. So you having that expectation makes

no sense to me. Comparing him to players that history indicates he was NEVER going to match also makes no sense to me.

Edited by Wamsley01

Expecting Price to play at an All-Star level as a 20 year old has been accomplished ONCE in the last 40 years. So you having that expectation makes

no sense to me. Comparing him to players that history indicates he was NEVER going to match also makes no sense to me.

I expected a good season, and I got one that was somewhat better than I expected. I didn't expect him to be an All-Star or to be as good as the greatest goalies in hockey, and he wasn't. He met or slightly exceeded my expectations.

Nobody is dissing Price here. Your arguments are all about the fact that he's 20. Clearly that's important to you. It's not to me. Gainey decided that he is an NHL-calibre goalie, so Price will be treated like a big boy and have his performance critically evaluated as such.

I expected a good season, and I got one that was somewhat better than I expected. I didn't expect him to be an All-Star or to be as good as the greatest goalies in hockey, and he wasn't. He met or slightly exceeded my expectations.

Nobody is dissing Price here. Your arguments are all about the fact that he's 20. Clearly that's important to you. It's not to me. Gainey decided that he is an NHL-calibre goalie, so Price will be treated like a big boy and have his performance critically evaluated as such.

My argument is about expectation, not age. To say that he had a good season when historically it is one of the best season's turned in by a goalie

of that age in a position where goalie's are expected to not make the NHL before 23-24 confounds me.

You are free to disagree. But your perspective makes no sense to me. So what

I am not taking it as dissing Price. He did what he did. Some appreciate it for what it was, some feel he underachieved.

I think his season was more than good and have provided the reasons why I feel so. Nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by Wamsley01

The age and experience level should be considered, just like it is for forwards and defesenmen. As a rookie, Sidney Crosby did score more than 100 points - which made his rookie season absolutely fantastic - but would he have been a disappointment if he had scored 80 points? I don't think so, and we would still be talking about an excellent rookie season.

However, we today expect more of Crosby because he's older and more experienced. If he gets 80 points over a full season in 2008-09, we'll be talking about a somewhat ordinary season

Similarly, I think Carey Price exceeded all realistic expectations last season, which to me makes his season worthy of the term "excellent" (at least better than just "good"). He became the number 1 goaltender of the very conservative Montreal Canadiens (although that role was somewhat handed to him), and was very solid in that role leading the team to the first place in the Eastern conference (not saying that Huet didn't previously help, nor that he may not have done the same). Moreover, his statistics since being recalled from Hamilton were as good any anyone else's, and superior to what most Vezina recipients needed to win the prestigious trophy.

When Don Cherry says that a member of the Montreal Canadiens was robbed out of winning a trophy like the Vezina, you know that player was great ;-)

Edited by CerebusClone