Official PS3 Thread

Colin

As per the 'nothing to do with anything thread'...

Grid is amazing, and quite frankly at this point I prefer one person games in the racing genre because if I get hooked on online stuff, I'll never have time to do anything. The wide variety of racing styles and cars is quite impressive and I love the fact that damage really matters. Last racing game I played you could still win with half a car.

I didn't download any upgrades because I'm not net connected. I guess there are upgrades included with some of the games, though, because twice I upgraded and now I'm up to 2.3 or something like that. I suspect I'll just continue to upgrade that way until I find extra time to connect to the net and play.

Motorstorm is one I'm looking at, though I played it briefly in an EB and wasn't horribly impressed. I wish I could find the name of the game I saw in Best Buy, though, because I'll probably be getting that one soon enough.

Going to be hosting my first Guitar Hero drink-a-thon this weekend, I think. Nothing like whaling on an axe whilst incapable of seeing the TV correctly...

Edited by Colin

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forget the website(s) that you prefer to research on, Jets. Can you list them here please?

Could we also get something for the X360 thread?.. :D

Could we also get something for the X360 thread?.. :D

Yeah Jets. HURRY UP! Sheesh, no more of this offline nonsense. :P

Where the hell is Jets! What, is this the ONE WEEK IN HISTORY he isn't online once in a 24-hour period???

:lol:

You started this topic right as I left for vacation, great timing.

I'll get links and crap tomorrow, I spent most of today on the road. v_v

I'll get a PS3 when they successfully implement the "Trophies" thing. I suppose it's included in the new firmware update considering the game I'm currently testing is slotted to have the PS3 "Achievements" aka Trophies. I'm such an Achievement whore, lol.

You and your damn achievements. I hope you can at least admit they're totally useless.

(Yes, this new update includes the trophies feature)

I actually saw your post about the update and connected the PS3 to download it (I never connect the thing) and all I got was the 2.36 version.

In hindsight, it looks like a good thing (If what you say is true)

Yeah, Sony dropped 2.4 after all the problems were being reported. They're going to try launching it again on Wednesday.

Almost forgot about this. Quick rundown of what I use for video-gaming information...

www.kotaku.com

www.gamerankings.com

www.ign.com

www.gamefaqs.com

www.gamespot.com

www.1up.com

www.gameinformer.com

www.gametrailers.com

www.eurogamer.net

www.gamespy.com

www.screwattack.com

www.vgchartz.com

www.nintendojo.com

www.xbox365.com

www.psinext.com

www.penny-arcade.com

www.vgcats.com

www.pvponline.com

The last 3 are web-comics so you probably wouldn't like those. Of the three, Penny Arcade is probably the most helpful in terms of actual video game information. They hold their own video game conference (PAX) which looks like it's becoming the "new E3" since the actual E3 shut itself off from the public a couple years ago. The 3 before that are all specialty websites obviously so you'd probably only be interested in psinext.

I also have a few subscriptions to some magazines out there. I've been getting Nintendo Power since 1999, EGM since 2002 and Game Informer since 2005. I had a short subscription to GMR as well which was a magazine funded by EB Games but it was discontinued after Gamestop absorbed EB. It was a decent little magainze though. I'll also periodically check out Tips & Tricks, Official XBOX Magazine and Official Playstation Magazine. Depending on the demo disc or cover stories, I'll buy them as well. I'm also part of Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft's official gaming fanclubs or whatever you want to call them and get e-mail notifications every now and then from them.

• 5 months later...

So my wife got Civilization Revolutions for Christmas (she loves that series) and I got a gift certificate. I'm looking at F1, but I'm wondering about other games as well. I worry about FPS's because I really don't like the controls - give me a keyboard and mouse and I rule the roost, but with the controller, I suck raw bean stock.

Any ideas?

Ok, screw it, you take too long Colin. Heres just a random ass list of suggestions

LittleBigPlanet

Resistance 2

Dead Space

Fallout 3

Uncharted

Valkyria Chronicles

Burnout Paradise

Ratchet and Clank Future

NHL 09 (Don't kid yourself if you don't want to play an NHL game. It's getting GOTY attention)

Only get Metal Gear Solid IV if you've played I-III otherwise it's just going to be lost on you. If you don't want an FPS then I'd take a look at LittleBigPlanet, Dead Space or Uncharted. Of those three, I probably had the most fun with Uncharted. The sequel is due out in 2009.

Ok, screw it, you take too long Colin. Heres just a random ass list of suggestions

LittleBigPlanet

Resistance 2

Dead Space

Fallout 3

Uncharted

Valkyria Chronicles

Burnout Paradise

Ratchet and Clank Future

NHL 09 (Don't kid yourself if you don't want to play an NHL game. It's getting GOTY attention)

Only get Metal Gear Solid IV if you've played I-III otherwise it's just going to be lost on you. If you don't want an FPS then I'd take a look at LittleBigPlanet, Dead Space or Uncharted. Of those three, I probably had the most fun with Uncharted. The sequel is due out in 2009.

Thanks for the list. I did a little research and came up with many of the same games, which I guess is a good thing. Ratchet and NHL are out, out, out, however. I get too bored with NHL-type games, to be honest. And Ratchet just isn't my style. LittleBig is one that I keep hearing good things about and MGS4 is also apparently interesting, but yeah, haven't played a single other. Dead Space and Uncharted. I'll take a longer look at those as well. I'll pick up one of the three either tomorrow or a little later this week.

I just watched " Wanted " and " Dark Night " (Blu Ray DVD's) on a 42' 1080p LCD HDTV, on my PS3. :blink: (the TV is my brother's, lol)

The PS3 is just one of the top 3, if not the best, Blu-Ray player. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Edited by rafikz

I just watched " Wanted " and " Dark Night " on a 42' 1080p LCD HDTV, on my PS3. :blink: (the TV is my brother's, lol)

The PS3 is just one of the top 3, if not the best, Blu-Ray player. :bow: :bow: :bow:

It's considered by most to be far and away the best Blu-Ray player out there. Mostly because it's more then a Blu-Ray player obviously but ask any technogeek which Blu-Ray player they prefer and most are gonna say PS3 since the standalones are just as expensive.

It's considered by most to be far and away the best Blu-Ray player out there. Mostly because it's more then a Blu-Ray player obviously but ask any technogeek which Blu-Ray player they prefer and most are gonna say PS3 since the standalones are just as expensive.

Well, you get the best gaming system (hey, no " Red Ring of Death " here), AND the top notch Blu-Ray player.

2 great machines for the price of 1.

The fact that Blu-Ray was invented by Sony and that the PS3 carries an IBM Winrunner Microprocessor helps a lot

Well, you get the best gaming system (hey, no " Red Ring of Death " here), AND the top notch Blu-Ray player.

2 great machines for the price of 1.

The fact that Blu-Ray was invented by Sony and that the PS3 carries an IBM Winrunner Microprocessor helps a lot

Precisely.

I just got my first experience of Blu-Ray at Christmas, I got The Dark knight and Iron Man on Blu-Ray. I love it and I love the potential in BD Live. I'm hoping studios really expand on it in 2009.

Precisely.

I just got my first experience of Blu-Ray at Christmas, I got The Dark knight and Iron Man on Blu-Ray. I love it and I love the potential in BD Live. I'm hoping studios really expand on it in 2009.

Yeah, what is the BD Live?

I saw it in the " Wanted " main menu, but did,'t check it out.

Yeah, what is the BD Live?

I saw it in the " Wanted " main menu, but did,'t check it out.

Downloadable add-ons for the movie. The Dark Knights is where you record your own commentary I think and for Iron Man, it was Iron Man trivia questions that pop up while you watch the movie.

Downloadable add-ons for the movie. The Dark Knights is where you record your own commentary I think and for Iron Man, it was Iron Man trivia questions that pop up while you watch the movie.

I see; cool stuff.

Thanks