Official PS3 Thread

Colin

Anyone know where I can get a good deal on a PS3 bundle? (ex: Best Buy is packaging PS3 + Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 + Troy Blu-ray for $399)

you wont get cheaper haha, i work at bestbuy the cost is more expensive then the price we sell it at lmao

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since Mods are ignoring Jets and I:

Colin:

Haven't picked up a game yet, I've been doing research on a bunch. Resistance 2 is one that I'm considering, however. I think, though, I might go with one of the two highest rated games that I've found: MGS4 (yes, even though I haven't played the others) or GTAIV.

But then again, I won't get anywhere near an EB until the weekend, so I could change my mind before then. Also on my shortlist are (in no specific order): Deadspace, Bioshock 2, Valkyria Chronicles, Call of Duty WaW, Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Elder Scrolls 4, and of course Formula 1 - but I think I'll wait until the new one comes out. From what I understand, the company that took over production of the F1 game is particularly good and should release a stunning product. And if I don't like it, I'll just buy the old one when the price drops. I'll vaguely consider NHL09, but only because my brother-in-law has it and wants to play online with me. I'm not really into that, but it's good family bonding I guess.

Jetsniper:

Resistance 2 - I was going to suggest this but you said no FPS. I got it for Christmas though and it was a lot of fun. I beat solo on New Year's but my PS3 isn't hooked up to the net so I haven't played multi yet but apparently it's very good as well.

MGS4 - No no no no no. Half of the game is cutscenes with storytelling where you absolutely must know what went on in the other 3 games. Some are as long as 20-30 minutes, theres a reason people refer to it as an interactive movie. Despite the high scores, you'll regret buying this game until you play 1-3. No no no. Bad Colin, bad.

GTAIV - Eh. It was certainly fun but it got old pretty quickly. Probably the most overrated game of 2008 though with all the perfect scores it got. It didn't even make my year end top 10 list.

Deadspace - This was a hell of a game. I can't decide what the best new IP was, Dead Space or LittleBigPlanet but Dead Space was really awesome. Solid choice.

Bioshock 2 - lol, 2 comes out this year, it's just a port of the 360 version. I forgot it was out on the PS3 though, also a very good choice. One of the best games from 2007 and some of the best story telling I've ever seen in a game.

Valkyria Chronicles - Still on my to buy list but I have heard very, very good things about it. I got a gift certificate for EB from my sister, I can't decide between Valkyria or Chrono Trigger on the DS.

Call of Duty WaW - Man, this game was really dissapointing. Mostly because it went back to Treyarch instead of Infinity Ward who made the INFINITELY better Call of Duty 4. If you want a CoD game, get 4, it's the best in the series. Infinity Ward is back too making a sequel to 4, due out this year. Can't wait to see what they do with it, Call of Duty 4 was awesome.

Fallout 3 - Another good choice. I certainly didn't think it was as good as some of the critics out there since it's getting most of the GOTY awards. It was the best game on the 360 for sure but the PS3 had some exclusives which I thought were better. I think it's still in my top 5 for '08 so you're still not going wrong here.

Far Cry 2 - NOOOOOOOOOO...This game got great reviews and no one can figure out why. The FPS enthusiasts hate it, it has to be one of the most boring FPS's ever made. A jeep driving simulator is more like it. Far Cry 2 was AWFUL, I hated it.

Elder Scrolls 4 - A really good game but the PS3 is probably the least ideal console to get it on since it's got really bad framerate issues and you get jaggies like...a lot. If your PC can handle it and you really want to play it, go that route.

Colin:

Can someone with super special powers move this last bit into the PS3 thread? Pretty please with a puck-moving defenseman on top?

Jetsniper:

It's like no one cares about us going off-topic Colin.

Colin:

Maybe we're on all the ignore lists.

Jetsniper:

So we can say anything we want?

Colin:

I think so.

GO LEAFS GO.

Jetsniper:

The PS3 is the best system by a country mile. I'm going to sell off my pathetic X-Box and my juvenile Wii and concentrate on the class of the systems.

Colin:

Can't say that I blame you one bit. Now, in terms of ignoring us, what do you have to say to people?

Jetsniper:

Trizz smells. Like really bad. Horse poop rolled in puke is the best way to describe it. Poor fella. Oh, and I'm a Habs fan now, just to be clear to everyone. I have come to hate Alberta and everything it stands for.

Colin:

Sounds like a young Jets is finally growing up. And I agree: emanations from Trizz? Rancid.

Jetsniper:

It's nice to grow up finally. PS3 and the Habs. Oh, and I hate the New York Jets. Go Steelers! Go Miami!

Colin:

You go boy! Now take it home...

Jetsniper:

Go PS3! Just to get back on topic. PS3 is the BEST!

Colin:

What he said.

You know, I was a Steelers fan before I was a Jets fan. My favourite player was Kordell Stewart. I've liked the Panthers longer then the Jets too. I bet if you used a loose definition for "favourite team", I'd have like 5 favourite teams in the NFL. Jets are still #1 though, Eagles are #2. Panthers are #3

Weird that thats my only thought after reading all of that though.

You know, I was a Steelers fan before I was a Jets fan. My favourite player was Kordell Stewart. I've liked the Panthers longer then the Jets too. I bet if you used a loose definition for "favourite team", I'd have like 5 favourite teams in the NFL. Jets are still #1 though, Eagles are #2. Panthers are #3

Weird that thats my only thought after reading all of that though.

And now you're hijacking the PS3 thread! With talk of Slash!

Repeat after me: PS3 rules.

Feel better? ;)

I meant to tell you, theres a Dead Space demo on Playstation Network if you want to try before you buy. Guess I was too late though, haha.

I only realized last night that I actually have Playstation Home so I took it for a spin. Maybe it's cause I was playing at like, 4 am but it comes across as weird and shady. I can see it going the way of Second Life where it's just dominated by perverts and freaks.

I meant to tell you, theres a Dead Space demo on Playstation Network if you want to try before you buy. Guess I was too late though, haha.

I only realized last night that I actually have Playstation Home so I took it for a spin. Maybe it's cause I was playing at like, 4 am but it comes across as weird and shady. I can see it going the way of Second Life where it's just dominated by perverts and freaks.

:lol:

So, like, we're having the whole PS3/Xbox talk at work (we do every week)... and we're all pretty confident that PS3 is going to jump out on top real soon. Most of us 360 owners are going to be getting PS3s over the next couple months in preperation.

The PS3 is by far the superior system, not only is it the best Blu-Ray Player (the only one I know of that has firmware/software upgrades and will be Web 2.0 ready in March) but the controller layout is better, games are cleaner, and of course Gran Turismo, if it ever gets released.

I've also owned a 360 but that lasted for a month. And i bought a Wii for the wife (Wii Fit...ya i know) its fun for parties.

So, like, we're having the whole PS3/Xbox talk at work (we do every week)... and we're all pretty confident that PS3 is going to jump out on top real soon. Most of us 360 owners are going to be getting PS3s over the next couple months in preperation.

Well it depends, if Microsoft can convince Japanese owners that they aren't the devil then they should take it pretty handily. The 360 is still the #1 console for actual gamers in North America and thats not going to change soon. In Europe, things are extremely even and with the price cuts, PS3 could probably come out on top there very soon. Sony is still playing catch up though in a lot of areas however and it's still going to take time, they had a few exclusives that didn't perform as well as they thought in the sales department which set them back a bit. Sony was hinging a lot on Final Fantasy XIII as well but since the 360 nabbed it too, a lot of PS3 sales went with it. No dates are released on anything yet but they do have the advantage in exclusives with games like God of War 3, Uncharted 2, inFamous, Heavy Rain. God of War 3 could prove to be crucial for the system, if it's sales are down like LittleBigPlanet's then I'd say thats it for Sony. LittleBigPlanet was huge dissapointment. Sony is trying to smooth it over at CES right now but they wanted Sackboy to be their Mario and the sales just weren't there at all.

I want Sony to have some kind of success but I'm pessimistic at this point. Late 2007 we were having this saaaame talk of how the PS3 is going to have better exclusives this year, this is the year PSN catches up to Xbox Live, this is the year our sales take off. Well it's been a year and it's the same song and dance. Theres still work that needs to be done if Sony wants to have a better machine then Microsoft.

There Colin, my real thoughts. ;)

Well it depends, if Microsoft can convince Japanese owners that they aren't the devil then they should take it pretty handily.

Fail. They are the Devil incarnate.

I mean, it's in how the spell their names!

Micro$oft.

Our main reason to get PS3 is because a) it will get better and b) it also does Blu-Ray and we all plan on getting some sweet TV screens... :D

Hell yeah, I'm only asking for one thing for my birthday, a nice 25-30" HDTV. Watching The Dark Knight will be that much sweeter.

Looking at the games out this year though for PS3, if it doesn't have a turnaround this year then it never will. God of War is Sony's big franchise so if it doesn't help sell systems then nothing will. I'm pretty excited for it, God of War II was one of the best games I played in 2007.

I'm planning on getting a nice HDTV soon.

I already have the PS3,

I just got an HD-DVR (hey it's on sale, so why not)?

Actually, it's my 1st ever DVR; wow recording is great, I had it with plugging-unpluuging my VCR, buying tapes, etc. Plus, that "live pause" function is awesome; I had to do something during the 1st period of Bruins-Games, pause during 15 minutes, then back to the game baby!

It's time now.......... :B)

• 4 weeks later...

http://g4tv.com/thepile/videos/36553/Sessl...ne-Mailbag.html

Adam Sessler put fanboys in their place after the flame wars started over Killzone 2, great video. :lol: When he's not being forced to do really lame jokes on X-Play, the guy knows his shit. Plus he gets to work with Morgan Webb every day who I wish was my wife (pretend I never said that, I could get in trouble. >_>).

Basically Sessler is pretty awesome.

http://g4tv.com/thepile/videos/36553/Sessl...ne-Mailbag.html

Adam Sessler put fanboys in their place after the flame wars started over Killzone 2, great video. :lol: When he's not being forced to do really lame jokes on X-Play, the guy knows his shit. Plus he gets to work with Morgan Webb every day who I wish was my wife (pretend I never said that, I could get in trouble. >_>).

Basically Sessler is pretty awesome.

Hey all, i used to own an xbox 360, actually created the xbox 360 thread here, but got the Rrod, got a Ps3 instead, havent regretted it yet, if any of you want to challange me at either nhl09 or cod4 add me up darthtd is the name, also planning on getting cod world at war

Hey all, i used to own an xbox 360, actually created the xbox 360 thread here, but got the Rrod, got a Ps3 instead, havent regretted it yet, if any of you want to challange me at either nhl09 or cod4 add me up darthtd is the name, also planning on getting cod world at war

If you got the RROD, why didn't you just send it to Microsoft? Then you could have a 360 and a PS3!

If you got the RROD, why didn't you just send it to Microsoft? Then you could have a 360 and a PS3!

well the garantee was over so it would come to about 120$ to get it fixed...i sold all my xbox stuff, i was always a sony fan boy anyways lol

i had gotten the xbox for gears of war

no i am really happy with my Ps3 metal gear 4 was amazing, now i just got a kick ass tv, going to replay the whole thing in 1080p :bow:

and watched 4 movies so far (got the tv this weekend) Nightmare before xmax, the dark knight, hellboy one and 2 amazing eye candy heheh!

Microsoft extended the warranty on the RROD. Even if you bought it the day it came out, you'd still have 2 years left on the warranty. My old one had the Unreadable error so I did the towel trick and forced it to red ring. Got it fixed for free and then sold it to my buddy for half price.

Microsoft extended the warranty on the RROD. Even if you bought it the day it came out, you'd still have 2 years left on the warranty. My old one had the Unreadable error so I did the towel trick and forced it to red ring. Got it fixed for free and then sold it to my buddy for half price.

my friend bought it the same time as me at same place, and charged him 120$ to repair the rrod

I have been thinking about getting a PS3 for a while now. I remember when the console first came out there was some issue regarding the display resolution. If I understand the PS3 could only display in either 1080p or 480i. Is this true?

My TV is 720p or 1080i so if true it would suck. My HDMI slot is used up (I have an older LCD) so does the PS3 come with component cables? Will that affect the resolution?

Thanks!

my friend bought it the same time as me at same place, and charged him 120$ to repair the rrod

Then it's his fault for getting the store to repair it. Should've gotten Microsoft to do it directly, would've been free.

I have been thinking about getting a PS3 for a while now. I remember when the console first came out there was some issue regarding the display resolution. If I understand the PS3 could only display in either 1080p or 480i. Is this true?

My TV is 720p or 1080i so if true it would suck. My HDMI slot is used up (I have an older LCD) so does the PS3 come with component cables? Will that affect the resolution?

Thanks!

It's not 480i OR 1080p, those are just the ends of the scale. It can display anything inbetween as well. It doesn't come with component cables. I don't think it will affect the resolution but I'm not sure on that one.

It's not 480i OR 1080p, those are just the ends of the scale. It can display anything inbetween as well. It doesn't come with component cables. I don't think it will affect the resolution but I'm not sure on that one.

Composite cables = 480i

Component cables = 480p/720p/1080i

HDMI cable = 480p/720p/1080i/1080p

Pretty certain on this - something I needed to know for my job (to test all possible resolutions, etc)