Radulov pulls a Jagr

JoeLassister

french link http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/255459.html

english link : http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=243143&amp...s=topStory_main

He might not be allowed to play for the Salavat Yulaev Ufa due to the recent agreement signed by Russia and the NHL, but he claims that he signed his contract before the signing.

what a fool !

Edited by JoeLassister

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has now been addressed by the IIHF president. Mr. Fasel said Radulov will have to honor the last year of his contract as agreed upon by the NHL and KHL.

Edit: radulov is now at home with no intention of coming back....Nashville and the NHL are likely to sue

Edited by Habitforming

So, heres a thought, lets never draft another Russian again. And I mean all 30 teams in the league, if this is the kind of crap teams are going to have to put up with.

Seriously.

(also, Radulov is a little bitch)

This was bound to happen one day ... basically the tables are turning a little ... I would assume that the Russian team would have to negotiate a buy out on Radulov's Nashville contract if he wants to play in Russia next season ... Just like Malkin and other Russian players the NHL took from the Russian league.

Although I think Radulov should have waited and fullfilled his contract for next season then left ( if that's really what he wants to do ) ... but it's his life ... I hope he realizes that if Nashville contests and the IIHF agrees that he needs to fullfill his contract with the Preds that he'll be out of hockey for a year if he doesn't play in Nashville.

I wonder if the NHL will consider adjusting the entry-level contract for the next CBA. Although it seemed fair and logical up to this point, many young Europeans - and perhaps eventually a few North Americains - might prefer making garanteed good money right away instead of making 500-800K for three years.

If the KHL really wants to start with a huge bang, they should concentrate on convincing John Tavares to sign with one of their teams; the guy did everything he could to make the NHL change its rule so that he could be drafted and play in the NHL this year.

Between a 2 million salary (that's just an exemple) and all the "luxury" the OHL has to offer, it might not be such a tough decision...

I'm just going to wait and see how many of these ex-NHLers realize that even with the larger salaries the "standard of living" over there may not be what they are accustomed to when they were in the NHL. (and their girlfriends/wives..........)

And what's to say they (teams/management) will honor the terms of a contract they offer a player? If they're "poaching" current players under contract (even when they didn't have an agreement) what's to stop them from releasing/turfing out a player when he's not having a good year.

At least in the NHL they players union will stand up for the players, what guarentee do they have playing over there?

I think we're about to not see anymore long term contracts be given to Russian players.

Why? If anything, we'll see more. Under the new agreements teams can't poach players under contract, so teams will try to keep guys under contract.

Why? If anything, we'll see more. Under the new agreements teams can't poach players under contract, so teams will try to keep guys under contract.

I mean : I think the Russian players will tend to be looking for shorter contracts now (more 3-4 years than a 9 years lenght for example).

Not that want to complain about the tiltle of this thread but Radulov didn't pull a jagr at all.

1- Nobody wanted Jagr except for edmonton or perhaps pittsburgh

2- Radulov was under contract, Jagr was UFA

3-Jagr is passed his prime while A R is coming into his

4- Radulov was in Nashville, I mean' who wouldn't want to go home ??!!

5- Jagr was offered ridicul money, radulov was offered a fair amount of cash but the Nhl could've match easily.

Not that want to complain about the tiltle of this thread but Radulov didn't pull a jagr at all.

5- Jagr was offered ridicul money, radulov was offered a fair amount of cash but the Nhl could've match easily.

I'ma just pull a David B. :rolleyes:

It's kind of funny how everyone assumes that the standard of living in Russia is so crappy compared to the grand " Be all end all Canada and the mighty U.S.A ". Most likely people who have never been outside their own home town and watch too much T.V. People!!!!! there is a whole world out there that is growing and might be a lot better than the shell you live in.

I mean the president of the United States, Mr. George Bush had never left the borders of the U.SA until he was elected president. LOSER!

Also" Marky and Komi" statement number 4 just proves how people on these forums can just throw out complete nonsense and uneducated bullcrap based on fan attendance reports they read on TSN. Nashville is a beautiful place with a lot of great people that just aren't as into hockey as the God Like Fans Montrealers think everyone should be. But you should come to a Titans game and see the support they get. It's a whole different beast, or even college basketball.

I don't need to remind you that Wasaga beach born Jason Arnott and your very own J.P Dumont picked Nashville over Montreal a few years back. That alone kind of turns the tables on your number four statement and puts the pile of crap right in your own backyard.

Radulov wants to go home because he was born there, He likes it better than America, be close to his Mom and Dad....family, etc....and it seems like he can make a lot more money there than here.

Too much guys.....too much

Hmmm....MUCH more money and you get to be close to friends and family. He'd be crazy not to do it. The NHL is going to have to re-think the entry-level contract, or there are going to be a lot of young European players opting to play in the new Russian league.

It's kind of funny how everyone assumes that the standard of living in Russia is so crappy compared to the grand " Be all end all Canada and the mighty U.S.A ". Most likely people who have never been outside their own home town and watch too much T.V. People!!!!! there is a whole world out there that is growing and might be a lot better than the shell you live in.

I mean the president of the United States, Mr. George Bush had never left the borders of the U.SA until he was elected president. LOSER!

Also" Marky and Komi" statement number 4 just proves how people on these forums can just throw out complete nonsense and uneducated bullcrap based on fan attendance reports they read on TSN. Nashville is a beautiful place with a lot of great people that just aren't as into hockey as the God Like Fans Montrealers think everyone should be. But you should come to a Titans game and see the support they get. It's a whole different beast, or even college basketball.

I don't need to remind you that Wasaga beach born Jason Arnott and your very own J.P Dumont picked Nashville over Montreal a few years back. That alone kind of turns the tables on your number four statement and puts the pile of crap right in your own backyard.

Radulov wants to go home because he was born there, He likes it better than America, be close to his Mom and Dad....family, etc....and it seems like he can make a lot more money there than here.

Nonsense? you would live in Nashville ?? Personnaly, I would NEVER live there, SPECIALLY as a hockey lover. Comon' would you like to be drafted by Juneau, Alaska as a soccer player ?

Edited by JoeLassister

I wonder if the NHL will consider adjusting the entry-level contract for the next CBA. Although it seemed fair and logical up to this point, many young Europeans - and perhaps eventually a few North Americains - might prefer making garanteed good money right away instead of making 500-800K for three years.

If the KHL really wants to start with a huge bang, they should concentrate on convincing John Tavares to sign with one of their teams; the guy did everything he could to make the NHL change its rule so that he could be drafted and play in the NHL this year.

Between a 2 million salary (that's just an exemple) and all the "luxury" the OHL has to offer, it might not be such a tough decision...

That's 500-800K is only base salary. The bonus clauses are where the real money is. Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, they signed the same entry-level deals, but with bonuses, they all made $3-$4 million their rookie years in the league. Don't kid yourself into thinking that Radulov had to make do with $800K last season, I'd be willing to bet he made $1.5 - $2 million lasts season after bonuses. I'd bet we'll see him back in the NHL in three years. He signed the deal with Ufa, never anticipating that there would be an agreement between the NHL and the KHL. It was a way to get out of Nashville, kind of, as Nashville would retain his rights as a defected player.

1. Somebody would have signed Jagr.

2. True

3. True

4. What's wrong with Nashville?

5. The report is that Radulov was offered 4.3 million a year, tax free. That's gotta be comparable to what, 5.5 million salary over here? NO way Radulov gets that much.

Nashville is known more for its love of country music than its love of hockey. It's hardly a place you would associate with ice hockey. Imagine, for a kid from Russia, how bizarre the city's customs must seem. I mean, honky-tonk? What?

As an aside, Nashville's having a hard time getting stable owners who aren't snake oil salesmen such as Boots Del Biaggio.

But yeah, it's silly that he's not honouring his contract and attempting to jump ship. Still, Nashville isn't exactly a hockey hotbed.

Do you have any idea how much hockey has grown in Tennessee because of the Preds? Tons of youth and high school hockey programs have popped up since hockey came to Nashville. That's a whole generation of kids who now have the chance to grow up with hockey. Hockey isn't a sport that just automatically succeeds in a market, in many places it must grow first. After the way the team was ripped apart last season, it's amazing that the team still was able to average close to 15,000 fans a game. That tells me hockey is latching on in Nashville.

Do you have any idea how much hockey has grown in Tennessee because of the Preds? Tons of youth and high school hockey programs have popped up since hockey came to Nashville. That's a whole generation of kids who now have the chance to grow up with hockey. Hockey isn't a sport that just automatically succeeds in a market, in many places it must grow first. After the way the team was ripped apart last season, it's amazing that the team still was able to average close to 15,000 fans a game. That tells me hockey is latching on in Nashville.

I generally agree, but you have to be worried about the reports that an unsustainably large proportion of those tickets are unpaid.

This point isn't really true - Dumont approached the Habs saying he would accept less money for a chance to play for us but we didn't have room for him on the roster at that time so Gainey turned him down. You are right about Arnott though, he was one of the guys we wanted most from that market but he took the offer that paid him the most money.

Nonsense? you would live in Nashville ?? Personnaly, I would NEVER live there, SPECIALLY as a hockey lover. Comon' would you like to be drafted by Juneau, Alaska as a soccer player ?

I was born in Toronto, lived there until I was 26. Moved to Los Angeles for ten years and have now moved to and been living in Nashville for 4 years. I love it here. I could never see myself back in T.O .....maybe L.A....... but Nashville is amazing. It is a perfect middle ground I compare to L.A and Toronto. You really shouldn't knock it, without knowing what it's about.

I've been a hardcore habs fan my entire life and in the recent years I've been really bummed at the fact we couldn't attract any UFA's because they simply didn't want to play in Montreal. Then I find they pick Nashville(forsbeg,Dumont, Arnott, Kariya etc...) or Tampa(Vinny) as they're hockey city. So the last part of your statement ....yes...... is complete nonsense. Proof is in the pudding.

The hockey world does not revolve around Montreal or Toronto as much as some of you think.

Being a hardcore hockey fan in Nashville is pretty cool actually. When the Habs were here I paid $100.00 bucks which included two hot dogs and two big ass beers. By the second period I made it down to the glass behind Halak and watched the rest of the game, overtime and shoot-out without anyone saying a word to me. Try that at the Bell. You'll get kicked out so fast you won't even know what happend.

There is a pretty cool indie scene here to ...if you are into music. Not Country by the way.

:lol: I really didn't think making a little joke would create such a debate !!

I was born in Toronto, lived there until I was 26. Moved to Los Angeles for ten years and have now moved to and been living in Nashville for 4 years. I love it here. I could never see myself back in T.O .....maybe L.A....... but Nashville is amazing. It is a perfect middle ground I compare to L.A and Toronto. You really shouldn't knock it, without knowing what it's about.

I've been a hardcore habs fan my entire life and in the recent years I've been really bummed at the fact we couldn't attract any UFA's because they simply didn't want to play in Montreal. Then I find they pick Nashville(forsbeg,Dumont, Arnott, Kariya etc...) or Tampa(Vinny) as they're hockey city. So the last part of your statement ....yes...... is complete nonsense. Proof is in the pudding.

The hockey world does not revolve around Montreal or Toronto as much as some of you think.

Being a hardcore hockey fan in Nashville is pretty cool actually. When the Habs were here I paid $100.00 bucks which included two hot dogs and two big ass beers. By the second period I made it down to the glass behind Halak and watched the rest of the game, overtime and shoot-out without anyone saying a word to me. Try that at the Bell. You'll get kicked out so fast you won't even know what happend.

There is a pretty cool indie scene here to ...if you are into music. Not Country by the way.

the only thing it tells me : a total LACK of security !

Once again, we turned Dumont down, he specifically wanted to come here and would have accepted less money to play here instead of in Nashville. And Forsberg was traded to the Preds, I doubt the Habs even made an offer for them. That decision had little to do about the city: Forsberg wanted a shot with a Cup-contending team and the Predators were an option. As for Kariya, he has always preferred to play in small hockey markets with very little pressure, he's always avoided the media attention. I doubt it had much to do with the city itself, he chose Nashville for the same reason that most players would avoid Nashville. A good example would be how happy Mike Johnson was to escape Phoenix and come to a real market. Arnott is the only one that got serious offers from both teams and picked Nashville over us - I would suspect he was following the money and didn't really care about how nice the city was.