Niedermayer isn't worth 9 million

Markov79

I'm sorry but if Scott Niedermayer thinks he's worth close to 10 million a year and should be considered as good as Pronger/Blake/Lidstrom he's got to be smoking something good.

As much as I love his style of play and everyone knows I respect the Devils, he has had ONE great year. That does not make him one of the game's most dominating players.

He's a 40 point defenseman that had a good year. Yes he's an amazing skater and during the playoffs he plays with great patience and all that, but 9 million a year?

Is he the guy you first think of if you're starting a team from scratch?

I don't think Lamoriello will overpay for Niedermayer, just like when he didn't overpay for Holik after he had a great year. Add to that the fact that guys like Recchi and Hull are getting 2-3 million a year and the new CBA...

He did win the Norris, but it was only his 1st ever year that he was amongst the best d-men.

I agree, I like the guy as a player and all, but that money is a bit much.

I'll say the same i did about Pronger. To make 9/10 million dollars each year, as a defencemen, I would expect you to be winning the Norris 5 years in a row or something. lol.

Niedermayer has NJ by the balls since Stevens is gone... to his credit he proved his worth by taking the team on his shoulders all year long, leadership-wise and on the ice.

It's not always about how good the players are comparatively, sometimes it's more about how important that player is to his team... and in that sense he's worth as much to NJ as Pronger is to STL, IMO.

My problem is not with Niedermayer wanting to make as much as Pronger or Lidstrom, my problem is that no D man is worth 10M... a few idiot owners have given outrageous contracts and that's forcing the more responsible owners to overpay their players.

That's why just about every player so far has won their arbitration cases. It just takes one idiot owner, and then the rest will be forced to overpay come arbitration time.

Niedermayer does have NJ by the balls and good too.

At some point in July rumours were going around that Niedermayer's days in NJ are numbered. Supposebly he enjoyed playing with his brother Rob this winter that they're both contemplating joining Vancouver together.

Same rumours flew around for Paul Kariya but I doubt either 3 players will join the Canucks.