2009 Draft To Be In Montreal

Fanpuck33

Making official something we all kinda knew would happen, the 2009 draft will be held in Montreal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-n...p&type=lgns

Personally, I think it'd be nice to hold it in the Forum.

sadly it's an empty movie theater now

Really? I thought they still held events like concerts there when the Bell Centre had other engagements.

Excellent news! but naw it's the AMC now :( did they move the seats out yet?

Really? I thought they still held events like concerts there when the Bell Centre had other engagements.

nope. AMC bought the building, gutted it, and not they have a movie theater that nobody goes to, a restaurant that closed down, a commercial Italian restaurant, a future shop and a comedy club. The only remnants of the forum is that there are a few old seats scattered around the building. Its a disgrace what happened there.

nah markie's right it's a mall and cineplex. But they did install an atrium around the old location of center ice, which is indicated on the floor and has a few old forum seats surrounding as well. So visitors can stand on an historic place, that's about it ~ no room to hold the draft.

yeah i nearly cried when i saw what they'd done to the forum. i saw a few hockey games and concerts there when i lived in montreal generally the city is very good at preserving historic locations but they lapsed at Ste Catherine and Atwater.

Yeahh, i heard they were moving the seats out though?

They moved the seats out years ago. I'd be lying if I said I knew the exact date but at least twelve years ago my girlfriend at the time bought a chair for me for my birthday. I still have it. They were sold off for 100-175 dollars a chair. A friend told me he has seen them go on Ebay for $600.00. That was a bunch of years ago too.

Anyways, I suppose it's exciting to have the draft. Too bad they didn't have the outdoor game in Montreal this year, as a celebration that would have been fitting.

Ironically we will probably get to watch the Leafs draft first as they try to start the big re-build with a blast.

Traveres a Leaf?......... :puke:

you can count me there next year !!

as for the old forum, I used to live minutes from the building, what a heart break the first time I saw it.

I'm gonna do everything I can to get tickets for the draft.

BY the way, they sold off most of the seats in the old Forum. True that when it first opened the AMC theatres struggled alot. So did a few restaurants in there, but things are going better now. They now have gym and a Future Shop and many other restaurants and entertainement venues.

However I agree with most of you, it's a shame what they did to the venerable old building. it should have been preserved.

The Leafs are going to greatly overachieve next year under Wilson and some great goaltending from Toskala. We may even see another late playoff push from them.

If Tavares or Hedman is wearing Blue it'll be either of the baby variety or a darker shade associated with an early 20th century song.

The Leafs are going to greatly overachieve next year under Wilson and some great goaltending from Toskala. We may even see another late playoff push from them.

If Tavares or Hedman is wearing Blue it'll be either of the baby variety or a darker shade associated with an early 20th century song.

I agree the Leafs will be a lot better than people think. The departure of Mats Sundin should force the rest of the team to rally together, and play as a team instead of relying so heavily on Sundin. This team will finally get a much-needed infusion of young dynamic talent, lead by the likes of Tlusty, Grabovski, Kulemin, Stralman, and a few others.

If current regulars like Steen, Antropov, Bell, and Blake do well with increased responsibilities, Toronto could put together three decent lines. As for the defense, their top 3 of McCabe, Kaberle, and Kubina can be dominant on any given night while Finger, Stralman, Colaiacovo, and Kronwall give them good options to complete the top 6.

Toronto lacks proven talent to be considered a playoff team, but I also have the impression that the Leafs will look pretty good this year, enough to seriously challenge for a playoff spot.

Edited by CerebusClone

I agree the Leafs will be a lot better than people think. The departure of Mats Sundin should force the rest of the team to rally together, and play as a team instead of relying so heavily on Sundin. This team will finally get a much-needed infusion of young dynamic talent, lead by the likes of Tlusty, Grabovski, Kulemin, Stralman, and a few others.

If current regulars like Steen, Antropov, Bell, and Blake do well with increased responsibilities, Toronto could put together three decent lines. As for the defense, their top 3 of McCabe, Kaberle, and Kubina can be dominant on any given night while Finger, Stralman, Colaiacovo, and Kronwall give them good options to complete the top 6.

Toronto lacks proven talent to be considered a playoff team, but I also have the impression that the Leafs will look pretty good this year, enough to seriously challenge for a playoff spot.

the best scenario : out of the playoffs and out of the lottery ! ha ha !

And i will definitely try to buy tickets for the draft !

If/when anyone finds out about tickets for the draft in Montreal are being sold please PM me asap with the info.

I realize this is a long way off, but I'm just putting it out there.

If/when anyone finds out about tickets for the draft in Montreal are being sold please PM me asap with the info.

forget about the PM, start a thread !!!

Tavares will be Jacket unless they lose the lottery.

Don't see it. They'll miss Foote for the full season, but Tyutin will help quite a bit in that regard. Filatov, Huselius, Umberger and Torres should help negate the loss of Zherdev and Fritsche.

Leclaire has to nearly duplicate the year he had in order for Columbus to entertain playoff thoughts, plus hope for a couple of really disasterous seasons out of some teams expected to make it, but they're definitely better than St. Louis, IMO.

Here's my Western Conference breakdown based on last year's finish:

Detroit - holds

San Jose - holds

Dallas - holds

Anaheim - holds

Minnesota - at best holds, likely worse

Colorado - worse

Calgary - at best holds, likely worse

Nashville - holds

Chicago - improves

Vancouver - holds

Edmonton - improves

Phoenix - improves

Columbus - could improve, likely holds

St. Louis - at best holds

Los Angeles - gradual improvement

Not a lot of movement, but Minny, Colorado, Calgary and even Nashville could drop out of the top 8 with Chicago, Edmonton, and Phoenix the most likely to move into the playoff mix. Columbus has an outside shot, but more than likely won't be able to improve enough to push any of those guys out. Really, Vancouver has a better shot than Columbus at this point, and any team that is in the playoffs has a better shot than them as well, except maybe Colorado who could be a disaster.

If its like Ottawa, tickets for general public will be given on terms of first arrived first served. 4 max/pers.

should it work like ottawa, people with season tickets plan( come in me, jmmr too I think) will get pre-sail and maybe extra tickets!! I know my four will be used but should I get more I could be able to accomodate few people.

If its like Ottawa, tickets for general public will be given on terms of first arrived first served. 4 max/pers.

Unless you kow somebody who works for GEG!!!hehehe!! ;):D

Ugh, and an AMC no less. I despise AMC, their prices are ridiculous. They charge twice as much as I pay to see a movie. No wonder it failed.

That theatre charges 10$ for a movie which is the same as any other decent movie theatres around here. I like it, they play movies that you wouldn't find at Guzzo or at the Colisée.

They'll be the equivalent to the New York Islanders of last season. I can't see them making a playoff spot with that team, I'd see them doing about as well as they did last season, 13th-10th in the East. They just haven't got the talent or an all-star goalie to save their ass like the Habs did with Theodore when they were in a similar messy spot of their rebuild.

Unless you kow somebody who works for GEG!!!hehehe!! ;):D

then you get tickets for all your HW buddies !!