Pedneault To Be Replaced By Brunet

BTH

This is from a couple of days ago and I was surprised that no one posted it. Yvon Pedneault's contract has expired and he won't be back - Benoit Brunet will be back. I've always loved the Houde/Pedneault tandem that RDS had - especially Houde - so this is sad news but I like Brunet on the RDS panel and I think he's the best possible man to take the job.

This is from a couple of days ago and I was surprised that no one posted it. Yvon Pedneault's contract has expired and he won't be back - Benoit Brunet will be back. I've always loved the Houde/Pedneault tandem that RDS had - especially Houde - so this is sad news but I like Brunet on the RDS panel and I think he's the best possible man to take the job.

I wondered that my self but this is the english speaking side so i would suggest that maybe there are not to many people who listen to them or care. I know I have listened to them but my french is not that good so it doesn't really mean much to me.

;)http://forums.habsworld.net/index.php?showtopic=15999

Pedneault will be back shortly.. just a matter of time be4 Brunet hits da DL with a dislocated tongue.

:?-

Pedneault will be back shortly.. just a matter of time be4 Brunet hits da DL with a dislocated tongue.

I've heard the hospitals in the San Fernando Valley are making remarkable progress in treating dislocated tongues.

I'm sure they could have done better, considering Brunet has the charisma of a hockey puck; I have no doubt about his knowledge of the game, but he's a long way from Jeremy Roenick. Hopefully for RDS he'll get better over time, but some things you just can't learn....

But what was the problem with Pedneault? I used to enjoy his attacks of laughter and his slightly goofy-looking countenance. My guess is this was the result of an internal power struggle at RDS - as most of these decisions actually are - or was it a desire to keep things "fresh," or did a substantial constituency view Pedneault as inept, or what? Compared to the Cole/Harry Neale combo that dominated CBC for years, Houde and Pedneault seemed darned competent.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

i am SOOOO happy to see Pednault gone. That guy's vocabulary plain old sucks. He's supposed to be a reporter/journalist and his most illustrious adjective is 'completely'. 'He completely missed his shot', 'They are completely dominated', etc, etc.

Both Houde and Pednault are such partisans that it gets in the way of their role. Houde cries and whines like a baby when things don't go the Habs' way or when we start getting stupid penalties. Pednault acts like he's got Godly insight into the minds of the players and just flip flops his nit-picking all the time. And his tone of voice insinuating that he's observations are the most obvious thing in the world gets on my nerves.

It's good to have fans on the broadcast side, but they are just getting really old and annoying. And they chit-chat too much when they should be following the game.

We need to get Houde's brother in here...the goalie from Les Boys. Hearing him talk is much easier on the ears than his crybaby brother.

i am SOOOO happy to see Pednault gone. That guy's vocabulary plain old sucks. He's supposed to be a reporter/journalist and his most illustrious adjective is 'completely'. 'He completely missed his shot', 'They are completely dominated', etc, etc.

If Yvon Pedneault got on your nerves because od his vocabulary, you might be be disappointed with Benoit Brunet. However, I'm sure it is quite hard to find a sports analyst (especially an ex-player) with a good handle of the French language...

The main problem of Pednault is his incapacity to even see the game. I mean, how often it went like this watching the game with my friends :

Yvon Pednault on tv : "Oh what a shot by Markov, who scores his 5th of the season. "

Me and my friends : "Shut up Pednault, this one was clearly deflected by Plekanec in the slot. How is this possible that a 1 foot high shot gets in in the top corner"

Yvon Pednault on the replay : " Oh wait maybe Plekanec touched the puck in front of the net, or maybe it was on Kubina's stick".

Me and my friends : " SHUT UP Pednault, it was even 3X most clear on the replay that this is Plex's goal ! "

Yvon Pednault on the 2nd replay : " Oh, I think that Kubina deflected it in his own net ! Exactly what happened last year in that game when Habs won it in overtime."

Me and my friends : "Oh my god, did he just came with an anecdote based on a mistake by himself? What a jerk!"

Yvon Pednault : "That would mean the goal would be allowed to Markov. Anyway (yes he use to say "de toute façon" all the time on tv), the Canadien are now back in a game where they've been outplayed dramatically."

Me and my friends : " WHAT ?!?! It is 2-1 and shots are 29-28 in OUR favour, Habs hit 2 post as well !!!"

And trust me, this use to happens in almost every games.

2nd problem with Pednault : always speaking for the players/coachs/refs. " Carbo is telling Latendresse and Lapierre to calm this down in order to not get anymore penalty" SHUT UP YOU'RE NOT ON THE BENCH, you don't hear what he just said !

3rd problmen with him : always use the words " you have to" like he knows everything about the game, like he ever played in the NHL, like he would always have done the good thing on ice.

Good to see him gone. EDIT : By the way the "anti Pierre et Yvon" group on facebook has now 13,233 members.... mostly because of Yvon...

Edited by JoeLassister

The main problem of Pednault is his incapacity to even see the game. I mean, how often it went like this watching the game with my friends :

Yvon Pednault on tv : "Oh what a shot by Markov, who scores his 5th of the season. "

Me and my friends : "Shut up Pednault, this one was clearly deflected by Plekanec in the slot. How is this possible that a 1 foot high shot gets in in the top corner"

Yvon Pednault on the replay : " Oh wait maybe Plekanec touched the puck in front of the net, or maybe it was on Kubina's stick".

Me and my friends : " SHUT UP Pednault, it was even 3X most clear on the replay that this is Plex's goal ! "

Yvon Pednault on the 2nd replay : " Oh, I think that Kubina deflected it in his own net ! Exactly what happened last year in that game when Habs won it in overtime."

Me and my friends : "Oh my god, did he just came with an anecdote based on a mistake by himself? What a jerk!"

Yvon Pednault : "That would mean the goal would be allowed to Markov. Anyway (yes he use to say "de toute façon" all the time on tv), the Canadien are now back in a game where they've been outplayed dramatically."

Me and my friends : " WHAT ?!?! It is 2-1 and shots are 29-28 in OUR favour, Habs hit 2 post as well !!!"

2nd problem with Pednault : always speaking for the players/coachs/refs. " Carbo is telling Latendresse and Lapierre to calm this down in order to not get anymore penalty" SHUT UP YOU'RE NOT ON THE BENCH, you don't hear what he just said !

3rd problmen with him : always use the words " you have to" like he knows everything about the game, like he ever played in the NHL, like he would always have done the good thing on ice.

Good to see him gone. EDIT : By the way the "anti Pierre et Yvon" group on facebook has now 13,233 members.... mostly because of Yvon...

Exactly!

Yvon would be too busy changing eye-glasses between reading his notes and watching the game then the Replay on his monitor he would be too close to! it was a disaster ! Im sad to see him go in a way but its good that younger peeps get their chances

I even made a thread about the antics of these two somewhere before...

I only listen to RDS. Aside from CBC which is only on Saturdays it seems, there are no english broadcasts.

if you want english, you can always mute the TV and turn on CJAD. If you are outside Montreal and have a DVR, you can pause the habs game by about 30secs-1minute and flip on the english commentary via cjad.com

Unfortunately, if you have nhl.tv and want to listen to CJAD instead of the idiotic TV commentators from the opposing team, you cannot delay broadcast and flip on the CJAD.com. nhl.tv is like 20-30 seconds off and cjad (counterintuitively) is about 10-20 seconds slower.

One of my concerns with RDS broadcasting was their lack of general knowkedge about anything outside this province. If a player wasn't a household name, born in Quebec, or involved in a famous/infamous incident, then he was pretty much considered a no-name to them. I'm pretty sure they had to lookup names like Scottie Upshall and Scott Hartnell last year when they were involved in Flyers activities.

It is also the same when it comes to the entry draft, as far as RDS was concerned Trevor Timmins drafted complete unknowns in Carey Price, Ryan McDonagh, David Fischer, or Max Pacioretty even though all these guys were considered first-round materail (Fischer maybe a little less than the others)... but they had a lot to say about Olivier Fortier and other QJMHL "projects" like Paquette, Cormier, ...

Of course, specializing about what's happening in this province is a muist for RDS, and I'm sure a big reason why people watch their shows, however I wish they had a minimum of knowledge about what's happening elsewhere. Comparing their entry draft broadcast to TSN's with the likes of McGuire, Dreger, and McKenzie is just ridiculous.

-----------------------

My other concern is that they put too much emphasis on commentary as opposed to the microphones inside the arena. Watching a game on RDS makes you feel like everyone is asleep in the arena - you can't hear a thing... but then when you switch to another channel (ex. CBC), you can hear the crowd, players crashing the boards, and you almost feel like you're there.

My other concern is that they put too much emphasis on commentary as opposed to the microphones inside the arena. Watching a game on RDS makes you feel like everyone is asleep in the arena - you can't hear a thing... but then when you switch to another channel (ex. CBC), you can hear the crowd, players crashing the boards, and you almost feel like you're there.

Funny, i find it to be the complete opposite. I never wathc games on CBC cause the sounds sucks, whereas the RDS feed is excellent(sound and quality of picture).

Yeah, he is blind, he always misses deflections and things like that even after a couple of replays have made it obvious.

Actually, I remember the CBC strike, when they went with NO broadcasters, just crowd noise and the sounds on the ice. It arguably made for a better viewing experience - less mediated, more like actually being there. Sad to say, very few colour commentators really enhance our knowledge of what's going on on the ice anyway, and in my view the announcer is there less to provide useful information than to, first, reassure the viewer that their impressions of the game are indeed correct ("yeah, that WAS Markov who took that shot - well spotted, viewer!"), and second, to maginify the emotions involved: so it's more thrilling to hear "HE SCOOOOORES!!!" than just to see the player score. These are pretty lame functions, really.

Sorry, off topic. Carry on.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Actually, I remember the CBC strike, when they went with NO broadcasters, just crowd noise and the sounds on the ice. It arguably made for a better viewing experience - less mediated, more like actually being there. Sad to say, very few colour commentators really enhance our knowledge of what's going on on the ice anyway, and in my view the announcer is there less to provide useful information than to, first, reassure the viewer that their impressions of the game are indeed correct ("yeah, that WAS Markov who took that shot - well spotted, viewer!"), and second, to maginify the emotions involved: so it's more thrilling to hear "HE SCOOOOORES!!!" than just to see the player score. These are pretty lame functions, really.

Sorry, off topic. Carry on.

:lol: I think you're right at a certain point concerning the usefulness of this job. Play by play, IMO, is useless since I know the game, but might be different for others.

But what i would like , is a guy who can show me something on the replay that i didn't see first. Something Pedneault was not able to do.

A good example of this is Pierre Vercheval for the CFL Alouettes coverage. He always comes with something else, a nice block we missed watching the running back closely or an holding penalty, etc.

Yvon Pedneault just talked about momentum and goalies lateral moves saying "you have to make your lateral move earlier to block that shot" WE KNOW ######ER, WE JUST LOST IN OT !!! :wall:

:lol: I think you're right at a certain point concerning the usefulness of this job. Play by play, IMO, is useless since I know the game, but might be different for others.

I find PbP very helpful. Aside from a few players per team, I have no idea who is who on other teams. Plus I can't always tell what number I'm seeing on my own team, depending on the angle.

I find PbP very helpful. Aside from a few players per team, I have no idea who is who on other teams. Plus I can't always tell what number I'm seeing on my own team, depending on the angle.

ok maybe for identification purposes, but i think that soccer play by play is the best. They do not feel that they ALWAYS have to say something.

What I wish is that radio and TV signals could arrive at the same time. I almost always prefer radio announcers over TV announcers.

I generally agree. At least if the TV signal is coming in faster (often not the case) you can adjust with a DVR. I hope in the future as secondary audio feeds become more commonplace, we will be allowed to select between home, away, radio home, and radio away. I know that on the red sox 2004 and 2007 commemorative DVDs this is available.

I generally agree. At least if the TV signal is coming in faster (often not the case) you can adjust with a DVR. I hope in the future as secondary audio feeds become more commonplace, we will be allowed to select between home, away, radio home, and radio away. I know that on the red sox 2004 and 2007 commemorative DVDs this is available.

I too wish I had a choice. Living in Nashville my habs and hockey feeds come from centre ice. 8 out of 10 Habs games feed comes from the team they are playing. I don't need to tell you that most announcers around the league blow chunks. Real amateur and unprofessional compared to Canadian. feeds.

Anyways, this one game last season the announcers were cut off for pretty much the entire second period, but the mics in the arena were still on. You could hear everything except the play by play. I tell you I really enjoyed it, entirely different world. I wish we had a choice on turning play by play on or off just like ESPN.