Habs World - Need Your Advice

Greetings from Las Vegas. This is my first post here and I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone.

First, I'll introduce myself. As you can probably tell from my handle I'm a Sharks fan. But I am above all a fan of the great game of hockey. I was born and raised in Chicago and followed the Hawks when I was a kid, back in the Original 6 days. After moving to Northern California to pursue a career in music I became a Sharks fan when they came into the league in 1991. As a subscriber to the Centre Ice package (gotta see my Sharks play) I regularly watch as many games from around the league as possible. I especially enjoy watching Habs games and even though I don't speak French, I've even watched some of the French language broadcasts. There is something very special about watching Canadiens games from Montreal.

Which brings me to my second point.

I'm in the early stages of planning a trip back east to see the Sharks play in Detroit, Ottawa and Montreal in late February 2009. It may just be a solo venture or I might be bringing a few other Sharks fans with me. Having never been to Montreal before, I'd be interested in any information you would like to share. I'd be particularly interested in hotel, local transportation and things to see and do kind of advice. Most of all, I'd like to explore anything related to hockey history and of course information on how to score tickets for the greatest venue in the NHL.

I have lived and worked in the entertainment industry in Las Vegas for 10 years so if anyone here needs inside advice on Las Vegas, I'd be happy to help.

Merci,

Vegas

Edit: I'd like to also extend an invitation for you to visit my regular board http://www.letsgosharks.com/forums/

It's the best "unofficial" Sharks board around. Don't be put off by how sparse the membership looks. The board has been up for over four years now but we just recently upgraded to the IP 2.2 forum software and lost our entire database in the process.

Edited by vegas_shark

always nice to have a Chicagoan visit the board. I am an expat Canadian and adopted Chicagoan, so I appreciate it.

OK - you are coming offseason and February in Montreal is a higher level of cold and snow than what you got in Chicago and obviously anything you deal with down south. That doesn't mean you won't be seeing scantily clad french girls -they will just wear leggings until they get into the club.

obviously you should try to see a habs game if they are in town. I've been to more than my share of arenas in the NHL and the Bell Centre is a cut above. The building itself is fine enough (big as anything), but the fans really bring the atmosphere to the next level. You'll have problems getting a ticket at face value if you don't buy in quickly when they go on sale, but the scalp isn't all that terrible for a non-special game. $100CDN should get you in (I haven't been back in a bit, so my numbers might be a bit off) - really good seats will cost more, weekends cost more, rivals (think Bruins, Leafs) cost more, obviously.

The metro is pretty good as far as transportation. I'd say it is faster and cleaner than the L and about as extensive.

The cool clubs change frequently enough that I can't really recommend anything. As far as restaurants, I really like the Orchidée de Chine (fancy chinese). A lot of people like Gibby's for steaks, I'm still a Moishe's fan even though there is absolutely nothing cool about either place, especially Moishe's (whose clientele looks like there was retirement home day pass). I hear good things about Queue de Cheval, but I have no personal experience. Others can give you a much better idea of the cool spots right now.

In the winter I like St. Paul Street, although it can get touristy and I wouldn't bother with it in the summer. Your lack of french skills shouldn't be that big of an issue, most people can speak english (much more so than the rest of QC) and as an american you will only take a low-to-moderate amount of shit at most. Crescent Street is the standard english club area, frequented by tourists, McGill students and some of the less easterly inclined english community. It's not horrible, I guess, but IMO if you are coming to a different country and want to really experience the culture, get over to St. Denis or at least St. Laurent (the traditional border between english and french).

This is very partial and possibly erroneous as I haven't been back in a few years and I am either forgetting things, misremembering, or things have changed. Others will fill in the gaps and give you much better info.

Welcome to HW!

Obviously you should try to see a habs game if they are in town.

Yup, and Habs are home Feb 21 (OTT), 24 (VAN) and 26 (SJ),

Check, but appears they're on the road before and after.

Wow, impressive guys! I'm an outsider making my first post and I get replies back in less than 60 minutes . . . from two mods no less!

Thanks for the info about the city. I've always heard that Montreal is one of the great cities of the world and I've always wanted to visit. The primary reason for my visit is to attend the Sharks-Habs game on February 28th so I'll definitely be at Bell Centre that night.

I'll probably spend a couple of days in Montreal and be on a tight budget so I'll focus on using the Metro to get around while I'm in town. Anybody know what date the single-game tickets go on sale? I'm sure that will be my best shot at getting a good seat at face value. Really could use some good local tips on a decent, moderately priced hotel near Bell Centre.

Welcome to the boards ;)

Just a heads up about downtown Montreal like many pointed out, people speak English so no need to worry about not speaking French.

There are several hotels located near the Bell Centre, you can't miss the Marriott for example.

I remember getting an email a while back from the Habs saying they had a promotion with the Marriott for people who were going to attend a Habs game and sleep at the hotel, maybe that's still going on.

Welcome to the boards ;)

Just a heads up about downtown Montreal like many pointed out, people speak English so no need to worry about not speaking French.

There are several hotels located near the Bell Centre, you can't miss the Marriott for example.

I remember getting an email a while back from the Habs saying they had a promotion with the Marriott for people who were going to attend a Habs game and sleep at the hotel, maybe that's still going on.

Thanks much Tony. This is exactly the kind of info I need. You guys have been really great helping me out on this. When I get to Montreal, I owe you a beverage or two!

Thanks much Tony. This is exactly the kind of info I need. You guys have been really great helping me out on this. When I get to Montreal, I owe you a beverage or two!

If assistance is all you require, I have two words for you that will change your life.................

Chez Paré :D

Edited by Habitforming

there are a few foods you should try when in Montreal:

bagels

french fries

smoked meat

cheesecake

I'll let those who still live there recommend spots for these but you can do fine without going very far from the Bell Centre.

there are a few foods you should try when in Montreal:

bagels

french fries

smoked meat

cheesecake

I'll let those who still live there recommend spots for these but you can do fine without going very far from the Bell Centre.

how do you make this list without poutine? Blasphemer!

If assistance is all you require, I have two words for you that will change your life.................

Chez Paris :D

nice try. But it is "Chez Paré".<

Edit : just noticed i'm in the 3000 club.

Edited by JoeLassister

nice try. But it is "Chez Paré".<

Edit : just noticed i'm in the 3000 club.

Hey now, I was hammered and put in a cab that was told by others to take me there....be glad I remembered that much :D

fixed all the same

Hey now, I was hammered and put in a cab that was told by others to take me there....be glad I remembered that much :D

fixed all the same

:lol:

Chez Paré :D

Chez Paré has to be the classiest place I've seen been to mtl.

Welcome! :) hmm i know good strip clubs in montreal if that helps? :D

are you an "entertainer" ?? :lol:

you already do have the name for it.

(suave voice)Ladies and Gents put your hands together for the young and talented ba-lazzzzzzze !!

I am truly awed by the response! Not only the multiple responses, but from HabsWorld Hall of Famers no less!! :bow:

Yes, a big serving of poutine will be at the top of my list of local cuisine, the strip club will be on the schedule and I hope to be poured into a cab at the end of the evening. Keep the suggestions coming.

Curious about hockey related stuff. I know the Forum is a mall now but I'll stop by the place just to bow down where the greats once played. Any Habs alumni with bars/restaurants full of memorabilia or other historic hockey places to visit?

Curious about hockey related stuff. I know the Forum is a mall now but I'll stop by the place just to bow down where the greats once played. Any Habs alumni with bars/restaurants full of memorabilia or other historic hockey places to visit?

theres a restaurant just by bell centre called cage aux sports, there maybe stuff there but I dont remember. you should try local pubs as well. there are tons of them near the bell.

edit: I just thought about Champs...they have tons of stuff. its on St laurent st. not a bad place to hang out after a game.

I f you stay downtown, you wont have to use a cab so you can make her/him( whatever floats your boat!!) dance a couple of songs more :lol:

the old forum is a movie theatre now but I know they kept stuff there.

Maybe I can help. Simonus' initial response was great, and as one of the few Montrealers on this board, maybe I can add my two cents.

If you are looking for a hotel, there are tons of them within a walking distance from the Bell Centre. Here are a few of them!

Sheraton

http://specialoffers.starwoodhotels.com/le...l_072506_NAD_FM

Marriott Residences Inn

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/yulr...treal-downtown/

Marriott Chateau Champlain

http://www.montrealmarriottchateauchamplain.com/

Hotel de la Montagne

http://www.hoteldelamontagne.com/index2.php?lang=fr

As far as restaurants go, the ones Simonus mentionned are all excellent restaurants, although they are on the expensive side(40-50$ per plate)

If you are looking for some good food at an affordable price, I recommend you try Schwartz's Delicatessen. The best place to try an authetic Smoked Meet Sandwich. It's located on St-Laurent Blvd.

http://www.schwartzsdeli.com/index2.html

Another one of my favourite restaurants downtown is Boccacino's. They have a wide variety of different things and it's not too expensive. It,s located on McGill College Avenue.

http://www.boccacinos.com/bbeta/fre/locations_mcgill.html

Then there's always la Cage Aux Sports (sports Bar) and they are located everywhere, including one in the Bell Centre.

http://www.cage.ca/index_en.aspx

ANother sports bar that is pretty damn good is Champs Sports Bar, Located at 3956 St-Laurent blvd. (514) 987-6444.

AS far as nightlife is concerned, you won't be disapointed! Like some people already mentionned, most tourists end up on Crescent street. It's OK, but it's very "touristy". If you are looking for something better, I recommend St-Laurent Blvd. Now depending on your tastes, there are all kinds of bar, dance clubs, Lounges etc.etc.etc. My favorites are;

Rouge

7 Prince-Arthur West (Corner St-Laurent) - 514.282.9944

Radio Lounge

3553 St-Laurent - 514.281.6913

Tokyo

3709 St-Laurent - 514.842.6838

Casa Del Popolo

4873 St-Laurent - 514.284.3804

http://www.casadelpopolo.com/

If you are looking for somewhere a little less noisy or a bit more easy going, I strongly recommend you try Hurley's Irish Pub. It has a great atmosphere, you can order food and it's located within walking distance from the bell Centre.

Hurley's Irish Pub

1225 Crescent street - 514.861.4111

Oh yeah, i almost forgot! If you wanna check out some really nice girls, i recommend Kamasutra. Located at 3580 St-Dominique street. 514.842.4892 It's not too big, it's cozy and the Women are simply un-freakin-beleivable!!!

http://www.kamasutramtl.com/en/index.html

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions, don't hesitate! Who know's, maybe we'll ending having a beer together!

Edited by Habsfan

maybe I should cheer for my former employer by saying that there's no better place than the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth hotel...5 minutes walk from the Bell. low season in febuary so cheap chea pprices !!

Man (and everyone near Montreal), if you like meat, then this is your place :

Milsa

Address: 1445 Bishop (@ de Maisonneuve)

Phone: 514.985.0777

Hours: 5:30pm–midnight daily

Best features: ultra-fresh grilled meats

Alcohol: Yes

Vegetarian friendly: No

Credit cards: Yes

Wheelchair access: Yes

Price: $24.95/person before tax, drinks or tip

here is a nice review http://www.montrealmirror.com/ARCHIVES/200...1702/resto.html

Basically, the thing to do here is the $24.95 all you can eat mixed grill.

There are almost 10 different meats to sample, from thinly sliced sirloin to juicy pork to simple, tender lamb. The filet mignon comes in chunks, the pink interior sealed by the heat. The turkey wrapped in bacon is cooked so that the two elements are almost fused together. The sausages, stacked one on top of the other, are jam-packed with flavour, salty and slightly spicy. There's also roast beef, delicately sliced from the rare side or carved away in dense pieces on the well done side. And did I mention the chicken legs with a faint taste of honey to them? It's all good, and you can douse selected items with a spicy salsa if you like. The waiters looked genuinely disappointed when we started to turn them away, trying to force just one more chunk of beef on us before giving up.

For dessert, don't miss the grilled pineapple, covered in a sugar and cinnamon coating that melts into the fruit as it's roasted. Served warm, the taste and texture will just about kill you. Get it with a cup of coffee that will give you the little energy burst you'll need to be able to get out of your seat.

I am truly awed by the response! Not only the multiple responses, but from HabsWorld Hall of Famers no less!! :bow:

Yes, a big serving of poutine will be at the top of my list of local cuisine, the strip club will be on the schedule and I hope to be poured into a cab at the end of the evening. Keep the suggestions coming.

I paid the head bouncer $10 when I first went in to make sure a cab takes me back to my hotel when I was ready (or ejected :D ) in case I had a hard time remembering or couldn't talk.

Not only does that make sure you get home, but if you are "ejected" they do it nicely and thank you on the way to your cab. (if you are not a rowdy person that is.......if you are rowdy, may god help you! )

Edited by Habitforming

Man (and everyone near Montreal), if you like meat, then this is your place :

Milsa

Address: 1445 Bishop (@ de Maisonneuve)

Phone: 514.985.0777

Hours: 5:30pm–midnight daily

Best features: ultra-fresh grilled meats

Alcohol: Yes

Vegetarian friendly: No

Credit cards: Yes

Wheelchair access: Yes

Price: $24.95/person before tax, drinks or tip

here is a nice review http://www.montrealmirror.com/ARCHIVES/200...1702/resto.html

Damn! I can't beleive I forgot to mention Milsa. The food is really good there.

Also, if you wanna try the best poutine in the city, go the La Frite Dorée. It's located on St-Laurent blvd.

I just checked out the Habs 08-09 schedule, and the Sharks are in town on a Saturday night...oh baby are you gonna have a good time! ;):D:clap:

Edited by Habsfan

Damn! I can't beleive I forgot to mention Milsa. The food is really good there.

Also, if you wanna try the best poutine in the city, go the La Frite Dorée. It's located on St-Laurent blvd.

I just checked out the Habs 08-09 schedule, and the Sharks are in town on a Saturday night...oh baby are you gonna have a good time! ;):D:clap:

don't trust this guy. for the best poutine, go to La Banquise on Rachel.

don't trust this guy. for the best poutine, go to La Banquise on Rachel.

I'm sorry but is there really such a thing as bad poutine?

Come on now fellas.

Thank you all very, very much. This info is going to make my visit so much better.

I'll be doing three games on the Sharks roadie, Detroit (yeech), Ottawa and then to Montreal. As of now, I've finished the planning for Detroit and I'm working on Ottawa. I'm saving the best for last, staying in Montreal for a few days so keep the suggestions coming.

Once I get the basics laid out, I'll try to recruit some of my buddies from SJ to make the trip. It would be great to have a get together with some of you that weekend.

Merci,

Vegas