Jimmy Bonneau a Sabre

HABZRULE

I had high hopes for this guy but since it seems he had no future here, all the best to him. Hope he's smart enough to be in the minors when we play Buffalo......let Peters eat fists.

Easy to have high hopes......Odjick(end of his career)....Enrico Chiconne(see Odjick)....Bloiun....Morrisette.....Vandermeer.....Garth Murray.....Downey.....PJ Stock.....Reid Simpson....Gordie Dwyer....Darren Langdon...............shall I go on. The last guy we had was Raitis Ivanans and we lost him to the Kings for nothing. Since most "goons" are there to fight, who cares if he can shoot or score(that is a bonus). I want a guy that WINS fights.

Easy to have high hopes......Odjick(end of his career)....Enrico Chiconne(see Odjick)....Bloiun....Morrisette.....Vandermeer.....Garth Murray.....Downey.....PJ Stock.....Reid Simpson....Gordie Dwyer....Darren Langdon...............shall I go on. The last guy we had was Raitis Ivanans and we lost him to the Kings for nothing. Since most "goons" are there to fight, who cares if he can shoot or score(that is a bonus). I want a guy that WINS fights.

oh i see, high hopes as a goon. Morissette was cool. I remember when he knocked out Bob Probert. Darren Langdon was hell of a tough guy too.

Broski........Moose DID beat Probert. Blouin DID beat Rob Ray.....all of the guys I mentionned WERE tough at some point. We just had most of them on the down swing of there careers. Dwyer and Murray were by far the worst. Here's a question~ What do we do if Big Georges gets hurt?

Broski........Moose DID beat Probert. Blouin DID beat Rob Ray.....all of the guys I mentionned WERE tough at some point. We just had most of them on the down swing of there careers. Dwyer and Murray were by far the worst. Here's a question~ What do we do if Big Georges gets hurt?

well, i guess we could clinch the East... Seriously, O'Byrne, Kostopoulos and Komisarek will have to drop more often, just like last season. There is no way to be afraid of a Georges injury, IMO.

Are you kidding....in my opinion, if Georges is gone for an extended period of time we may have isssues. Just remember last year how many times our goalies were run into....do you think they were accidents or was it that we had NO ONE to scrap(and please refrain from Kosto,Komi and and other so called large guy~ they aren't fighters)

Are you kidding....in my opinion, if Georges is gone for an extended period of time we may have isssues. Just remember last year how many times our goalies were run into....do you think they were accidents or was it that we had NO ONE to scrap(and please refrain from Kosto,Komi and and other so called large guy~ they aren't fighters)

Are YOU kidding ? Yes I remember other teams running into our goalies, do you remember how we killed them with the PPs who resulted ? Do you think guys like Lapierre and Bégin are not able to do the same ?? Running into a goalie has never been a factor last year and I don't see why i would become one this season, unless Price get injured. Otherwise, the only other problem is a goalie who goes out of his mind (point at Ray Emery) and Carey is not that guy.

You mean UNTIL price gets injured. How many hockey games have you played in? When the team with a fighter meets a team without one.....well, something has to give. We aren't a big team and we only have 1 certified fighter(again, please don't pull Komi or Kosto into this) so if he's not around trouble will come. We were pushed around last year and pretty much for 5 yrs before that. This year is different, again only if Big Geo is in the lineup. Heck, I'd even play him when we meet the "weaker teams".

You mean UNTIL price gets injured. How many hockey games have you played in? When the team with a fighter meets a team without one.....well, something has to give. We aren't a big team and we only have 1 certified fighter(again, please don't pull Komi or Kosto into this) so if he's not around trouble will come. We were pushed around last year and pretty much for 5 yrs before that. This year is different, again only if Big Geo is in the lineup. Heck, I'd even play him when we meet the "weaker teams".

I've play over 10 years and all the games i've play were won by the team with the most goals on the board. Habs clinched the East without any freakin fighter, Detroit won the cup with only 22 fights INCLUDING postseason. Don't come here and try to convince me that Georges Laraque is the name of the game from now. Don't get me wrong here, I'm happy, even very happy, to see Georges on the team, but it is because O'Byrne and Komisarek will have the chance to not get involved in useless scrap and then avoid useless injuries (O'Byrne last year).

If guys like Sergei and Lapierre can put their game up knowing that Laraque is behind : FINE ! But if he wouldn't be there, I don't think it would ba THAT important, as you seem to think.

Ryan Flinn and Alex Henry are scrapper options if Laraque goes down. And they are way better options than a guy who can barely play hockey at the lower professional level like Jimmy Bonneau.

The Flyers have been crashing the net durint the entire playoffs, it was part of their agressive physical strategy, and it worked quite well for them. They did so against Montreal, and also against the Capitals and the Penguins despite the presence of top goons such as Brashear and Laraque.

Do you really think a guy like Scott Hartnell will stop crashing the net (and thus helping his team) simply because he might be on the ice 10 minutes later with Laraque, who may want to fight him? I don't think so...

To me in today's NHL, having a guy who can really fight is only a bonus, and that guy must first and foremost be a hockey player (and Laraque is, so this is a godd signing). However, I think Montreal's problem was an overall lack of grit and physical play, and that's something the entire team as a whole will have the fix (this is also why I was hoping that Chipchura and O'Byrne would play from Day 1 of the playoffs)... one tough guy on the forth line playing 6-10 minutes won't change much.

Edited by CerebusClone

Do you really think a guy like Scott Hartnell will stop crashing the net (and thus helping his team) simply because he might be on the ice 10 minutes later with Laraque, who may want to fight him? I don't think so...

Well, that is exactly what Lapierre said recently; other players fear Laraque and will be more cautious when playing against the habs. I quite agree with that opinion. If a player chashes the net too much he WILL be on the ice with George later if Carbo decides so.

Bonneau can't play at an NHL level. He was not even called up last year when we had no enforcer... I think that bob would have let him go anyways, Laraque or not.

Bonneau can't play at an NHL level. He was not even called up last year when we had no enforcer... I think that bob would have let him go anyways, Laraque or not.

That's exactly what he did, as Bonneau was non-tendered (did not get a QO), well before Laraque signed. Considering that he couldn't crack the Bulldogs regularly when they were as bad as they were, there's no real point in worrying that he could come back and haunt us (or the Bulldogs for that matter.) As has already been mentioned, Flinn and Henry could be suitable goon replacements should it be determined that a replacement enforcer is required if Laraque goes down.

That's exactly what he did, as Bonneau was non-tendered (did not get a QO), well before Laraque signed. Considering that he couldn't crack the Bulldogs regularly when they were as bad as they were, there's no real point in worrying that he could come back and haunt us (or the Bulldogs for that matter.) As has already been mentioned, Flinn and Henry could be suitable goon replacements should it be determined that a replacement enforcer is required if Laraque goes down.

The organization did everything they could to get Bonneau to improve his hockey skills, even getting Alain Vigneault (he was coaching the PEI Rocket back then) to use him in an offensive role on the top lines alongside Lapierre, Lambert and/or Urquhart.

The guy just isn't much of a hockey player... in today's NHL, enforcers must be able to skate and be somewhat reliable in all three zones.