Soccer

Dutch_Habs_Fan

• 2 weeks later...

Doktor Kosmos and ch_nl, tell me more what I need to know about Elfsborg, we are on our 3rd coach in 3 years, fans are beating up players, finally won a league game at home against our arch rivals Hajduk Split, do we stand a chance?

• 2 weeks later...

SO the whole Dutch league is going 2 change. To make it more exciting and for clubs to make more money.

Next year it will be: The number one on the standings will be the champion, and will play in the Champions league. Number 2 till 5 will play in playoffs against eachother and there will be 3 teams play in europe. The 1 that lost will play in Playoffs against no. 6-9. 1 europe spot will be available. (i hope it's right what i said)

They just told it on the news, it's quite confusing, but i think it will be exciting!!

(playoff games are fun!!)

LOL,

I wonder how good he is going to be when Steven Gerrard gets back from his broken foot, and breaks Rooney's leg, (although it would never happen, i'll bet the Anfield faithful will be screeming for some blood). Cheers to that lucky SOB, he's probably getting laid twice as much since he left Merseyside. I was actually hoping that Fergie would put him in the at the end of the L'POOL match. I never saw any highlights, how were his goals?

• 3 weeks later...

Has anbody see Liechtenstein playing? The guys are really crazy - first they tied Portugal 2-2 at home and last week the won vs. Luxemburg 4-0 on the road!! This country has a population of about 30.000 people. The players have a normal job like for e.g. baker, mechanic and so on and then the play 2-2 vs. Portugal ... :king:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?...=313647&cc=5901

ZAGREB, Oct 19 (Reuters) - Dinamo Zagreb fans angry at their team's poor league showing stripped the players of their shirts at a training session.

Some 50 members of Dinamo's hard-core supporters' club, the Bad Blue Boys (BBB), showed up at training on Monday and demanded the players hand over their blue shirts, saying they were not worthy of wearing the team's colours.

The players finished training in plain shirts.

'I understand our supporters and their disappointment, but this is definitely too much,' one of the players, who wished to remain anonymous, told daily newspaper Novi List on Tuesday.

Dinamo president Mirko Barisic said the supporters were only venting their frustration but added he was worried that none of the players put up any resistance.

'That tells you something about their mentality and that is also the way they are behaving on the pitch,' Barisic told daily, Vecernji List, referring to the team's poor run this season.

Dinamo spokesman Ado Kozul said there were no plans to increase security for the players after the incident.

'Security guards are always present. They would have intervened if (the BBB) had gotten violent', he added.

Dinamo, who have earned seven league titles since Croatia's independence in 1991, have won only three of their 11 matches and are eighth in the table, eight points behind leaders Inter Zapresic.

The team will wear their trademark blue shirts for Tuesday's Croatian cup match against second division Belisce as the fans only took away training gear.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Fans in that part of europe are stupid crazy...

The BBB are just a gang...and the fact that the organization, police, security guards, players, government and other fans tolerate them is ridiculous in the extreme. Sorry but it's true...

I've got nothing against Dinamo as a team, or it's players, but obviously they weren't going to refuse handing over those jersey's because they would've gotten the crap kicked out of them and security WOULD NOT have done much. The fact that the organization and ownership turns a blind eye to these incidents and then proceeds to blame the owner just shows how screwed up the whole world is over there. IMHO.

Originally posted by dinamo

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?...=313647&cc=5901

ZAGREB, Oct 19 (Reuters) - Dinamo Zagreb fans angry at their team's poor league showing stripped the players of their shirts at a training session.

Some 50 members of Dinamo's hard-core supporters' club, the Bad Blue Boys (BBB), showed up at training on Monday and demanded the players hand over their blue shirts, saying they were not worthy of wearing the team's colours.

The players finished training in plain shirts.

'I understand our supporters and their disappointment, but this is definitely too much,' one of the players, who wished to remain anonymous, told daily newspaper Novi List on Tuesday.

Dinamo president Mirko Barisic said the supporters were only venting their frustration but added he was worried that none of the players put up any resistance.

'That tells you something about their mentality and that is also the way they are behaving on the pitch,' Barisic told daily, Vecernji List, referring to the team's poor run this season.

Dinamo spokesman Ado Kozul said there were no plans to increase security for the players after the incident.

'Security guards are always present. They would have intervened if (the BBB) had gotten violent', he added.

Dinamo, who have earned seven league titles since Croatia's independence in 1991, have won only three of their 11 matches and are eighth in the table, eight points behind leaders Inter Zapresic.

The team will wear their trademark blue shirts for Tuesday's Croatian cup match against second division Belisce as the fans only took away training gear.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Wow thats crazy, I am surprised that the players agreed to hand over the shirts and acted as if the incident was nothing. I wish I was able to tell Patrick Traverse (while he was a habs) that he sucked and should hand his jersey over to me...

But the whole team would probably kick my ass if I tried such a thing.

Originally posted by Zowpeb

Fans in that part of europe are stupid crazy...

The BBB are just a gang...and the fact that the organization, police, security guards, players, government and other fans tolerate them is ridiculous in the extreme. Sorry but it's true...

I've got nothing against Dinamo as a team, or it's players, but obviously they weren't going to refuse handing over those jersey's because they would've gotten the crap kicked out of them and security WOULD NOT have done much. The fact that the organization and ownership turns a blind eye to these incidents and then proceeds to blame the owner just shows how screwed up the whole world is over there. IMHO.

Zowpeb, I understand what you are saying, however, I have attended a couple of their games, it is 110% pure passion for the team, and the game. Football is bigger in Croatia than hockey is in Montreal (not possible you say, believe it!!!)

They sing, chant prior to kickoff, and depending on the result, through the night, all night. Everybody knows the tiny country unfortunately is deep in corruption, I have lots of family there that I obviously visit, and it is very unfortunate, scandals everywhere, people trying to make a quick buck on others backs, but more of them are trying to establish themselves as a nation among others in Europe....this is going to take more time than the population wants.

I've paid $2.50 CAD to watch a game.....that is a joke in itself. the quality of the game has gone to crap, and for a traditional team like that to watch them go down in flames is intolerable. Those fans are kind of like the equivalent to the habs fans....if you don't perform, you'll hear about it....ala Patrice Brisbois, but take it a step further. For many people football is their life, sad you say, but the country is working to stand on its own feet, create jobs, establish law etc.

You also said that the organization turns a blind eye, not really so. These "gangs" are the same people who were part of the Croatian Army that liberated itself from communist dictatorship, they have been sick of all the BS before, and they aren't going to stand for it anymore. Many fear them, others cheer them. It is Europe, almost every country is engulfed with hooliganism.

They just want their team, and mine :/) to WIN BABY!!!!

Sorry this reply is so long, but I could go on for hours about the team and its people who have stuggled, and spilled blood for many, many centuries to become a nation among others.

[Edited on 2004/10/22 by dinamo]

Dinamo, I know many of the stories behind the "fans". Both the Serbs and Croats have similar gangs roaming around who fought for their respective nations during the war.

However, booing and being passionate is one thing. Hooliganism is one thing. What these guys do is something entirely different. I don't think you are looking closely enough at the issue...either that or you're turning a biased eye towards it. Violence against your own players is beyond hooliganism IMO.

I have no doubt that these guys are incredibly passionate about their team...in fact, as in most football nations, they put Habs fans to shame in their passion for their teams. That is no slight to Habs fans, but football is even more an integral part of their culture. I have no doubt that these guys participate in hooliganism against opposing teams fans either. BUT attacking players, threatening violence against them or their families is something entirely different. Unfortunately those actions are tolerated too much by FIFA, the teams themselves, the players, security, police, gov't, etc...

I've played football for 25 years, almost as soon as I could walk. I've been to europe to watch games. I know the sport, it's culture and how well it is ingrained in cultures. It's by far my favorite sport to play and watch(which isn't easy here...thank god for Fox SW and Sportsnet). I am even friends(and have played soccer) with a number of Croatians. I understand the culture and game there from their perspective. There is no excuse for violence against players, organizations or opposing teams fans. I understand why it happens but it doesn't make it right. These forms of violence are often even promoted by the organizations...THAT'S how much it's tolerated.

There's a good book out called How Soccer Explains the World - An {Unlikely} theory of Globalization. Writen by Franklin Foer...it basically talks about how entrenched the game is in various countries/regions and how it affects/shapes various political/social causes. It's pretty good, I recommend it...

The FIFA can't do anything against these things, the UEFA has to do something in Europe ... and I don't think that the UEFA isn't doing anything aginst it. All the clubs have to pay fines or for e.g. supporters aren't allowed to attend games for some time (like it's usual in Rom *fg*). For example the Hool scene in England isn't as big as it was 5-10 years before, the supporters really learn from such "fines". In countries like Croatia the fans have to pay nearly their full salary to get tickets for the games or for the whole season, it's simply their life. And when the rich players don't show anything then I fully understand such actions.

• 3 months later...
Originally posted by HABS Fan Nr.1

Ajax has such a great merchandising market, they have lots of fans arround Europe and they also have a great history. But in the last 10-15 years they began to struggle ... meanwhile they are in a rebuilding mode, but to move someone like Zlatan doesn't fit in ... ;)

[Edited on 2-9-04 by habsfannr1]

We beat ajax today. 1-2 in the arena, an awaygame. Really great. Carnaval and a win for Twente, what a day!!

Btw we signed another swedish player. Sharbel Touma, he made the game winner today. Majstorovic and Touma, 2 great players we have now.

[Edited on 2005/2/6 by Dutch_Habs_Fan]

Originally posted by Dutch_Habs_Fan

We beat ajax today. 1-2 in the arena, an awaygame. Really great. Carnaval and a win for Twente, what a day!!

Btw we signed another swedish player. Sharbel Touma, he made the game winner today. Majstorovic and Touma, 2 great players we have now.  

[Edited on 2005/2/6 by Dutch_Habs_Fan]  

Not bad, a win vs. Ajax is always great.

Majstorovic ... I've heard the name but I think it isn't the one who played for Unterhaching in Germany?

So Majstorovich is doing OK? I'm glad to hear it. (See my previous posts in this thread.)

I was thinking. I believe it's safe to assume all of us are Montreal Canadiens fans when it comes to hockey. But which team do you root for when it comes to soccer? And which league do you think is most enjoyable to watch?

My favourite team is Tottenham Hotspur FC, and the league I prefer to watch is the Premier League.

[Edited on 2005/2/12 by Doktor Kosmos]

Originally posted by Doktor Kosmos

I was thinking. I believe it's safe to assume all of us are Montreal Canadiens fans when it comes to hockey. But which team do you root for when it comes to soccer? And which league do you think is most enjoyable to watch?

My favourite team is Tottenham Hotspur FC, and the league I prefer to watch is the Premier League.

[Edited on 2005/2/12 by Doktor Kosmos]  

The same here, Premier League is the one I'm interested in ... I'm a die hard Gunners fan, hopefully they'll finally win the CL this year.

In Austria I'm rooting for LASK, my hometown club, but they were relegated to the 2nd division a couple of years ago.

My Favo team is offcourse the local team FcTwente(Touma and Majstorovic scored this weekend in the 3-1 home game, the touma goal was a beauty)

Premier league is most fun to watch. Favorite teams! Man U and West Ham united(second league unfortunate)

I also can say that the Spurs are fun to watch now since Martin Jol took over, especially when Defoe and Kanouté are playing (former Hammers!)

• 3 weeks later...

Majstorovic is charged with a 7 games penalty because of a double elbowincident in the game with Groningen. The second time he hit a striker on the head and there was some blood. The prosecutor demanded 7 games, but Majstro (as we call him) did not accept so they went to court.

They are still working on it, and Majstro thinks he will be pleaded free, i think the same. On both incidents he never saw the player. First one the guy jumped from behind and both tried to make the header. He never saw the guy coming, so not his fault. Second one, majstro was already in the air and the striker jumped to late and jumped under his elbow.

My opinion is not guilty. But 7 is so much for elbowing. A guy was sentences to 10 games, he made a tackle on a guy. The guy broke his leg and cant play football ever again. So 7 is way to high!

Originally posted by Dutch_Habs_Fan

A guy was sentences to 10 games, he made a tackle on a guy. The guy broke his leg and cant play football ever again. So 7 is way to high!

It reminds me of Luc Nilis - just look at his right leg, man that hurts ...

nilis.jpg

BTW. When was that incident with Majstorovic? Perhaps they show it in the next EuroGoals on Eurosport.

no it was not last weekend, but the weekend before. But the court thing was yesterday, but they didn't finish yesterday. To be continued. (at least he will be in the line-up for the next hard away game, we need him) He's already one of the best defenders in the dutch league!