Habs to ranked 12th from HN

Easy Ryder

:rolleyes: The same so call experts who ranked us out of the playoffs last year.

The score goes along this saying the pressure of the centennial will affect the Habs

in the first games.

And pressure doesn't affect athletes, it motivates them.

What a bunch of morons, they should hide behind their desk and feared to be pointed as

ekclowns.

I was out to buy it, i threw it away like garbage.

I beleive it was 12th overall. By the way who cares what people think. The proved last year they can be a top team, over the last 15 years they proved they can't make the playoffs.

Every year is a different year, if the Habs play up to there potential they are a playoff team, if not, they'll be golfing early.

Here's an article I found on RDS.ca

They basically say that according to the Hockey News, the Habs will finish 1st in the east!! It also says that the Hens will finish 5th in the east while the penguins will be 2nd. They go on to say that it's not the additions of Ryder and Finger that will help the Bruins and the Leafs get any better!

In the end, they say not to take this "ranking" too seriously, cause it was the Hockey news that had ranked the habs to finish 13th last year...and we all know where our Habs actually finished!!

IN the west, Detroit is favored.

Le CH 1er selon le Hockey News

Jeudi 14 août 2008

RDS.ca

La troupe de Guy Carbonneau terminera au 1er rang dans l'Est selon le Hockey News. (Photo Getty) Dans son édition annuelle, le Magazine Hockey News prédit que le Canadien terminera au 1er rang de l'Association de l'Est.

Selon le réputé magazine, les Sénateurs termineront au 5e échelon et les Penguins prendront la 2e place.

Le magazine soutient que dans la Division Nord-Est, à part le Canadien, les équipes ont des lacunes dans leur alignement. Et ce n'est pas les signatures de Michael Ryder chez les Bruins et Jeff Finger chez les Leafs qui vont changer quelque chose.

Mais attention, rappelons que ces mêmes experts avaient prédit une 13e place au Canadien la saison dernière et la troupe de Guy Carbonneau avait devancé tous ses rivaux dans l'Est.

Dans l'Ouest, Detroit est favori.

Edited by Habsfan

Mais attention, rappelons que ces mêmes experts avaient prédit une 13e place au Canadien la saison dernière et la troupe de Guy Carbonneau avait devancé tous ses rivaux dans l'Est.

Funny thing the mention since their experts pretty much predicted the exact same thing...

Well, although I suppose some "experts" will continue to express doubts about the solidity of the Habs due to their lack of a superstar, the Habs will have to get used to being respected and even favourites now. That could result in some psychological hiccups - witness the nearly-disasterous Bruins series - but I think we've got enough vets (Koivu, Tanguay, Kovy) to help with it.

I expect a season in which we finish solidly in playoff position, but a 1st-place finish is asking a bit much, and might even suggest a team overly directed to the regular season instead of the playoffs (c.f. the Senators). This year, to me, is fundamentally about learning how to be league leaders instead of upstarts. The young guys need to learn how to carry themselves like real contenders, to think of themselves as champions, and to pace themselves and perform like it. We have the talent. If we're lucky, the lessons will have been fully absorbed before the playoffs and we can make a serious run.

(You know, there is also an outside chance that we will hit another level, become totally dominant, and outclass the Conference. That can happen with a highly talented young team like this. If it does happen, expect a triumphant first half and a stuttery second half as overconfidence sets in.)

One way or the other it will be a memorable year :clap: but I couldn't give a rat's ass what the "we-always-predict-that-what-happened-last-year-will-happen-this-year experts" think.

I think we'll be fine this year, but remember boys. The league is fairly equal these days. One little slip and the season is kaput's! We are young, will Kovalev show up? Will the kids step up another notch? What kind of season will Koivu have? Is Carey Price ready to take on #1 role? Lot's of question marks on this team. Last year had we not swept Boston we would have been in about 12th overall. It doesn't take much to look shlt in this nhl.

Anyways, those forecasts are complete bull. I believe the Habs will have a great year but it doesn't surprise me some don't feel the same way. It's o.k. If we really knew the answer watching wouldn't be as much fun ...right.

My big ? this season is Carey and Kovalev. If they show up everyone else will follow.

I think we'll be fine this year, but remember boys. The league is fairly equal these days. One little slip and the season is kaput's! We are young, will Kovalev show up? Will the kids step up another notch? What kind of season will Koivu have? Is Carey Price ready to take on #1 role? Lot's of question marks on this team. Last year had we not swept Boston we would have been in about 12th overall. It doesn't take much to look shlt in this nhl.

Anyways, those forecasts are complete bull. I believe the Habs will have a great year but it doesn't surprise me some don't feel the same way. It's o.k. If we really knew the answer watching wouldn't be as much fun ...right.

My big ? this season is Carey and Kovalev. If they show up everyone else will follow.

That's why I've never liked the fact that we bet so much on Alex Kovalev (pretty big contract at that time, now it looks a lot better), he should not be our "go to" guy. He was average and inconsistent the first year, mediocre the second, quite dominant last season... so what will he do this season?

Same goes for Koivu, which one will show up? The fatigued and unmotivated Koivu we've seen a lot of since the lockout or the warrior and near impact player we saw for here and there, for example when he was first united with Higgins or in last season's playoffs?

Like that wasn't enough, our other new veteran leader, Alex Tanguay, also is somewhat of a question mark since except for one season (his last with the Avalanche), he's never proved to be able to produce without a top superstar player on his line. His production dropped dramatically whenever Forsberg would get injured, and he had a mediocre last season without being on the Iginla line.

Yet... I'm very optimisic about next season... hopefully Kovalev and Tanguay will have huge season, and I'm thinking Koivu could have his best season ever now that - for proabably the first time - he should play with two talented offensive wingers.

I think this season will be tougher on Carbo and the coaching staff then last year. Coming out of nowhere to stun everyone can be easy. Being expected and maintaining your dominance is harder.

Players leadership will be key. I expect that Tanguay and Laraque - being home boys coming home - will feel some pressure and help keep some seriousness in the lineup.

Starting the season with Price & Halak as the goaltending tandem will be interesting. I dont remember the Habs having this young a tandem since... T-Bo/Theo? Hopefully we've got Denis with NHL experience who can come up and calm things down if necessary.

There's lot of kids who should be on the verge of taking a step up. Gorges & O'Byrne will need to solidify their regular spot with constant play because the next wave of D-men are coming soon. Bouillon could be added here, but he's 32 and has always been in that position.

On offense, Latendresse also needs to take that step up. He's putting tons of pressure on himself but he should be good for a jump in PPG avg. He was around 0.36 in his first two seasons. I see him jump to about 0.50 (about 40+ pts, I think 20+ goals too) which should be good production for a 3rd liner. S.Kostitsyn also needs to avoid the sophomore jinx and just stay a consistent winger. He played at 0.52 and 0.67 PPG avg (reg and playoffs) in his rookie year, should bode well for his 2nd season since he always took a huge step up every time he had to (doubled his PPG avg in juniors, was a PPG player in the AHL, etc.) so a 50+ pts season shouldnt be too much to expect from him.

What we need to be watching for is Kovy taking a year off. I dont expect him to stay a point-per-game player this season. But the coaching staff has to keep him interested and motivated so it doesnt rub off on Plex, Markov, the Kostitsyns, etc. If Kovy stays near his level of consistency from last year, then you can expect Andrei Kostitsyn to keep improving. The older Kosty is also the kiind of player who has had a good progress curve, although not as steep as Sergei. His PPG avg progression in the AHL was 0.35-0.75-1.04 and in the NHL 0.25-0.50-0.68 PPG. To expect him to be around 0.75 this season (60+ pts) isnt too much.

Koivu is pretty much peaked. At this point, we can only hope that he doesn't decline too fast. He showed he could still be an above-average player in the playoffs, but over the course of a long regular season he showed signs of age and weariness last season. Hopefully the emergence of all the kids, the arrival of Tanguay and a legit bodyguard like Laraque should take loads of pressure off Koivu so he can keep his best for the playoffs.

Then you have guys who are already giving you good hockey but can still give more. How much more dominant can Komisarek become? How much offense can Plex & Higgins give? Can Plex reach PPG level? Can Higgins break the 30-goals mark? Markov at 29 is just entering his prime as a D. How much more than his past season's 58 pts can he give? Can he reach 60, 65, 70?

All in all, I think there is too much players in full progression in this lineup for the team to take a huge step back from last year. This team is still heading up. We haven't lost any significant part over the summer: Streit & Ryder were spare parts. The only real thing Habs will miss is Streit at the point on the PP; but then you've got Tanguay who was added to that PP so it's a draw.

Well you brought up some good points Kozed, in regards to goaltending remember the current D is far better then at any time in the last 15 years, so the goalies just need to be good.

I think the youth movement will push the vets to stay hungry and perform. GC will have no problem benching people to get them motivated. There are several vets looking for contracts who should step up.

I also agree about seeing which Kovy and Koivu will show up. Tanguay will arguably be the best winger he has had in years.

Koivu is pretty much peaked. At this point, we can only hope that he doesn't decline too fast. He showed he could still be an above-average player in the playoffs, but over the course of a long regular season he showed signs of age and weariness last season. Hopefully the emergence of all the kids, the arrival of Tanguay and a legit bodyguard like Laraque should take loads of pressure off Koivu so he can keep his best for the playoffs.

What we really need is for Captain Hook to stay at home and Captain Koivu to show up. Koivu spent way too much time in the penalty box last season, especially for the leader of this team.

What we really need is for Captain Hook to stay at home and Captain Koivu to show up. Koivu spent way too much time in the penalty box last season, especially for the leader of this team.

Well, like chris said in the post above, Tanguay will be the best winger Koivu has ever had. I'm hoping that us Habs fans will get to see somewhat of a career year from the guy. Geez it's about time that Koivu gets some quality players around him. He's bound to have a great year. We deserve it and so does He!

GO KOIVU GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One way or the other it will be a memorable year :clap: but I couldn't give a rat's ass what the "we-always-predict-that-what-happened-last-year-will-happen-this-year experts" think.
A+ post!

The game of hockey is too unpredictable. Who are experts anyway? A term I invented for hockey amongst my friends to describe unpredictability is the "Refrigerator rule" also known to everyone else as "s___ happens".

Eg. Some time keeper drops a puck out of the refrigerator at the bench in the 1st period. In overtime he finds it on the floor and gives it to the ref. Too bad it's warm and bounces over the goalies shoulder like a ping pong bounce. I call it this rule because it's one of the most wacky examples of madness that happens in this unpredictable game. The 1994 playoffs are a good example. The Rangers scored a key goal on a warm bouncing puck. Poor Marty because it was his Calder year, what a way to go - by fridge :puke: .

This year the Canadiens ought to be contenders and should finish high. But who finishes where and why is decided by 82 games per team. That's a lot of games to predict. New Jersey can bounce back. Carolina is pissed about missing the playoffs and wants redemption. There's dangerous Washington-GR8. Tampa Bay is interesting. I don't understand how we are going to have a major shift from 2008 parody to 2009 ultimate sheriffs. The UFA period isn't even over yet. There's likely to be trades still.

I hope there's no bumps in the road. But, our depth is solid and can withstand the test of injuries. Hopefully they are low. The team should be able to focus. Gainey-Carbo-Muller-Jarvis-Melanson is a good support system for all of the aspects of what problems we may face. That system will weather the storm I believe. Tanguay is nice too. In the 6-5 comeback game against the Rag$ this year had Ryder getting a trick. I think the last time before that was game 82 in 2007 against Toronto :( Ryder floated sometimes too much though. He's there but not consistent. Tanguay is consistent and he's going to make some noise :clap: Maybe Ryder will score more but Tanguay is better on the clutch IMO.

Laraque helps too. :) And, we have Chipchura, Pacioretty, Stewart, D'Agostini and options on D with Belle, Anderson and Valentenko in our depth. Maybe Weber.

We'll see. And so will HN - whatever it is.

GO HABS GO :hlogo:

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien