Olympics

Ribeiro

Canada is doing poorly in the Olympics. They have 1 Bronze medal, tied for 33rd place. :nono:

Canada should be doing better. A few reasons why I think they aren't:

1. Unlike other countries, Canada doesn't reward $$$ for medals.

2. The athletes don't get sponsorships. Most of them have regular jobs and must train on their own time. Unlike other countries which offer housing, food and money for Olympians. :nono:

3. Okay, so the athletes aren't as good as Russia, China or America's. I admit it.

4. Too much concentration on our "national game" hockey.

Since this is a hockey forum, I wish to address #4, and I'm sure some Canadians are sure to get angry after reading this.

The "Who cares about baseball? Hockey rules!"" attitude is screwed up, and if that's your mentality, you're an idiot.

Who really gives a shit about hockey outside of Canada really? No seriously, who actually focuses on just one sport like Canada does?

Not Germany - they do decently at Olympics. Do not even mention Russia as just a hockey country, they are extremely strong in gymnastics as well as competitors in swimming and basketball (at least were). Can you name a Country the size of Canada that focused on a single sport?

You can't, and that's why Canada is doing so damn poorly.

I for one, love the Habs, but could care less about anything else NHL, better known to American sports analysts as "Soccer-On-Ice".

The fact that Canada focuses so strongly on hockey while our basketball team doesn't even qualify pisses me off. Or the fact that our Olympic swimmers struggle in competitions, due to the fact that they have to keep jobs and train on their own time while competing with athletes will paid and taken cared of.

I bet most people here can't even name the 4 Canadians in the NBA. 3 of them don't even show up for our basketball team, and if they did, we would be strong medal contenders. All they need is a pure shooter...like me. :D

How about baseball? We're doing extremely well, but how much do people care about this great sport? The 'Spos are dying and the 2 time Champions, Blue Jays are following in their footsteps. Gagne even says that in places like Quebec, few play baseball.

Again, some Canadians would say, "Who cares, it's baseball?". It's a slow, boring and lazy sport right? We can put Bonds, Gagne, Walker or some other MLB star on the ice playing hockey. Sooner or later, whether it be years, they'll likely eventually score a goal. Whether it bounces off their skate or stick or they shove it in an empty net. Put Naslund or Theodore in an MLB game. Let's see if they can hit a home run off a major league pitcher.

It's Canada's sad, "hockey only" attitude that makes it struggle at the summer Olympics.

Canada's other athletes deserve to be funded and supported.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, a lot of American athletes get funded from sponsoships and such, but a lot of them do it through hard work and their own money. Some of the better known athletes get lots of money, but I seriously doubt people spend any money funding the US crew teams and such. Sure, some companies sponsor teams, but you are silly if you think countries like the US win because of money. The athletes win because they train hard and put everything they have into it. A great number if athletes in America work jobs and train on their on time, while others have to balance school and training.

Anyways, the Olympics is no longer the showcase of amateur talent. Almost every athlete out there is a professional.

And I think a hockey player could hit a homer of a pro pitcher. All he has to do is play against the Cincinnati Reds.

[Edited on 8-19-04 by Fanpuck33]

<i>Put Naslund or Theodore in an MLB game. Let's see if they can hit a home run off a major league pitcher.

</i>

lol what does this have to do with anything? Zdeno Chara could probably dunk a basketball, who cares?

You can't say that Canada is a one sport country. We may not have a swim team (in these olympics) or a basketball team to speak of, but we are certainly a force in rowing and diving, not to mention speed skating and curling in the winter olympics.

Even if i were to agree that Canada is a one sport country, who cares? Would you rather have the best swimmers in the world or the best hockey players? I say we picked the best sport in the world to be the best at.

I say we picked the best sport in the world to be the best at.

The best sport to be the best at would probably be soccer. You get complete world fame for that.

You probably get more attention if you're good at basketball (Argentina).

Would you rather have the best swimmers in the world or the best hockey players?

In the US, they have great hockey players, great swimmers, great basketball players etc.

You can't say that Canada is a one sport country.

The mentality is pretty close. 1 Bronze.

Most of the Canadians that are sports fan are pretty disappointed. :nono:

[Edited on 2004/8/20 by Ribeiro]

Originally posted by Ribeiro
I say we picked the best sport in the world to be the best at.

The best sport to be the best at would probably be soccer. You get complete world fame for that.

I agree with Q60. We picked the best sport in the world to be the best at it. Soccer is great and I enjoy watching, but I don't remember when I watched a whole game. Replays are great (like Baseball).. but come on! Nothing is like hockey. Hockey has it all, and there's always something happening.

BTW Ribeiro, soccer is really popular in Canada, especially in Quebec. Montreal's Elite team is getting really really popular; our Women national team is getting really stronger with new phenomens like Sinclair and Lang. Soccer is surely the #1 sport in the world, since everyone can play that game anytime. But besides soccer, name a sport as much international as Hockey.. I'm very proud that Canada is famous for hockey.

As for Canada's Olympics results so far, maybe we don't support them enough. But is it the only factor? Is it down to a money question, again?

The best canadians are in pretty much all competitions. It's already an honour to be part of it. Only to be part of the 100m race for example. There's so little difference between the 1st and the 10th. We can't win a medal in each competition.

I'm very proud for each canadian participants, medal or not.

I agree with Q60. We picked the best sport in the world to be the best at it. Soccer is great and I enjoy watching, but I don't remember when I watched a whole game. Replays are great (like Baseball).. but come on! Nothing is like hockey. Hockey has it all, and there's always something happening.  

That's an opinion, not a fact.

Being the best at soccer or basketball puts you on the map globally. Winning the World Cup is a lot more beneficial to your Country than winning the Stanley Cup.

Whether you are in Europe, Asia, North America - it is the most beneficial to rule the game of soccer.

We are talking facts here - not opinions. Hockey doesn't rank that high globally compared to soccer or basketball.

Basketball doesn't always have something happening? Basketball is a lot more exciting than hockey. Any unbiased sports analysts or broadcasters will tell you that. The ratings themselves tell you that.

It's much more exciting watching a .7 second shot sink to win a playoff game than it is watching a 1-0 game, the only goal in which the puck bounces off the skate of someone and rolls into the net.

Even if i were to agree that Canada is a one sport country, who cares? Would you rather have the best swimmers in the world or the best hockey players?

Countries like Australia would much rather have better swimmers. It depends on where you live, but globally, swimmers are more recognized.

But besides soccer, name a sport as much international as Hockey.. I'm very proud that Canada is famous for hockey.  

Badminton are both more international than hockey. Basketball, tennis and golf.

Don't even try to deny it.

Badminton is the second most popular sport on Earth.

Basketball is played in Asia, North America and Europe. Russians have won at basketball (Olympics). Argentena and America are also strong. The NBA has stars from Canada, US, Argentina, Germany, China, France, and Croatia. Those are just the popular players. I can name mediocre to back-up players from across the globe. You can't match that with the NHL.

Both Golf and Tennis have contenders from all over the World.

The best canadians are in pretty much all competitions. It's already an honour to be part of it. Only to be part of the 100m race for example. There's so little difference between the 1st and the 10th. We can't win a medal in each competition.  

I'm very proud for each canadian participants, medal or not.

But just 1 bronze?! We're tied with Mongolia! How many more athletes did we send?

You can't tell me that 1 bronze for Canada is not a disappointment.

Ok first: Badminton isn't the second most popular sport in the world ... 1. Basketball, 2. Soccer, 3. Tennis ... anywhere Badminton, I would go with that. ;)

And basketball is more exciting than hockey?? It's just YOUR opinion. Why do the Americans say that basketball is becoming so boring from year to year, TV ratings and the attendance is also slipping in the NBA.

And you can't compare the Stanley Cup with the soccer World Cup ... perhaps you can compare winning Olympic Gold in hockey with winning the World Cup. You can't even compare winning the Gold medal in soccer at the olympics with the Gold medal in hockey during the Winter Olympics. Because in the Summer Olympics there's only the Under23 team who plays and so there isn't any interest for this medal ... everyone says that they also want to see the big names playing for their country or they should completly skip such a tournament. In the Winter Olympics you'll see the big names in hockey and the winner also will get attention form around the world.

I also doubt that Boxing, Judo and Tae Kwon is more popular than hockey ... more people can do this sport and it's more international but it mustn't mean that this sport is more popular.

[Edited on 20-8-04 by habsfannr1]

For a little country we're doing quite allright. It's not like in the wintergames that we only win medals @ one sport (speedskating).

We win medals @ many sports.

I already thought by myself why Canada was so low on the medal ranking, but now i know why.

In holland we have a great Athlete support system, and thats getting better and better. (but we will never compete with the big countries)

I feel sorry for all you Canadians... You're one of the biggest countries in the world but still lousy in the summer olympics.

But look at it from the bright sight: It could have been worse. India is a bigger country but they are worse than you. And second, Canada is a wintersports country. And hockey is equals Canada. You don't need another sport. Who cares about cheeting american sprinters and up-beaten-12-years-east-block-athlets?

When Wayne Gretzky had a red maple leaf on his jersey?

And no, hockey isn't a big sport like soccer or as international like tennis. But it sure is of the most refined. North america, scandinavia and the countries in the alps. (And some lost aussies and dutchs).

Just look how many nationalities this site has gathered!

Frankly, I think it is quite obvious, to a point, why lets say, America has MANY more Medals than Canada.

Population.

Canada has merely 30 million ppl. America has what... 300 million?... I'm not sure on exact numbers but, I'm sure its a ton more.

In this world, most athletes are born. By that I simply mean, there are ppl who are capable of being champions, and those who are not. When you only have 30 million ppl, the chances of you having many ppl able to be great at certain sports, im much less than that of a country with 100s of millions of ppl.

Throw in the fact that we only have summer in most part of canada for 3 months?... Then the weather starts to dip. (sure you can do indoor activities, but, the outside world has an effect on the psychy of the population.

As much as I'd like to see Canada bringing in a ton of medals, It is not always going to be possible. But I say we congradulate the ones who can during this time.

Either way, If our time at the olympics continues this way until the end, and we only pick up a couple more medals, then, sure it will be a dissapointment. BUT, Just more reason for ALL of our athletes to pick it up over the next 4 years, and train harder than they ever had before, because, the real disapointment, would to not learn from the problems we had here, and improve for 2008.

Badminton are both more international than hockey.  Basketball, tennis and golf.  

Don't even try to deny it.

You want facts?

Basketball

From http://www.nba.com/players/

Global Influence on the Rise

As of March 15, 2004, NBA team rosters featured 67 international players from 33 countries and territories, including two-time MVP Tim Duncan...

Now Hockey

From http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/intl/fact_sheet.html

Quick Facts about the NHL's international profile:

More than 33 percent of NHL players hail from outside North America from 14 nations

Last season there were 71 NHL players from the Czech Republic, 64 players from Russia, 50 from Sweden, 38 from Finland, 25 from Slovakia...

There are more NHL players from Czech Rep than there is non-US players in the NBA.

World Cup will begin August 30 and it'll be a nice opportunity for Canada to show his domination.

"It's Canada vs The World", like titles ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/worldcup04/c...tory?id=1863188

:can:

Talking about population, India has over a billion but still they won't win more medals than Sweden who has 9 million

(Acctually Sweden just got their ninth million person last week accorind to our governments statisic bureau)

Ok first: Badminton isn't the second most popular sport in the world ... 1. Basketball, 2. Soccer, 3. Tennis ... anywhere Badminton, I would go with that.

Wrong

You really waste my time when you deny the facts. Either recognize them or don't reply at all.

And basketball is more exciting than hockey?? It's just YOUR opinion. Why do the Americans say that basketball is becoming so boring from year to year, TV ratings and the attendance is also slipping in the NBA.  

During Christmas day it's the NBA on NBC and ABC - not hockey. The ratings are much higher than the NHL.

The difference in popularity between the NBA and NHL is substantial. The NBA is more popular and more exciting. The ratings prove it.

In the Winter Olympics you'll see the big names in hockey and the winner also will get attention form around the world.  

They could really give less of a shit in Asia.

When it comes to basketball, you can gurantee they care around the world.

I also doubt that Boxing, Judo and Tae Kwon is more popular than hockey ... more people can do this sport and it's more international but it mustn't mean that this sport is more popular.  

You were wrong about Badminton after I told you not to deny the facts. Again, don't reply if you won't recognize that you're wrong.

For a little country we're doing quite allright.

We're tied with Mongolia. We send a lot more athletes than Mongolia.

Who cares about cheeting american sprinters and up-beaten-12-years-east-block-athlets?

Canada was incredibly excited when they had the #1 sprinter in Donovan Bailey, and the cheater Ben Johnson.

There are more NHL players from Czech Rep than there is non-US players in the NBA.    

That doesn't show anything except that there are two significant countries to the NHL, as opposed to 33 Countries like in the NBA.

Canada only 30 million?

32,507,874 as of 2004.

Mongolia has 2,751,314

We're both tied with 1 Bronze.

It's not like in the wintergames that we only win medals @ one sport (speedskating).

We win medals @ many sports.  

Saying Canada is a great Winter Olympics Country is false. Until the last Olympics, Canada has been dominated by Russia in hockey - even more than the US.

In the Winter Olympics Canada has had 94 medals in 19 Games for an average of just under 5, the high being 17 in Salt Lake City and winning 1 happened four times.

If you're going to post, do it based on facts. It annoys me when I tell you not to deny the facts, but you still do it anyways. It's make the thread go around in a circle.

Claiming that the Winter Olympics is owned by Canada is Bullshit.

A poor nation like North Korea has 3 times more medals than us in the Summer Olympics. That shouldn't me happening.

Edit: Canada has a silver now! :D

[Edited on 2004/8/20 by Ribeiro]

If you're going to post, do it based on facts.  It annoys me when I tell you not to deny the facts, but you still do it anyways.  It's make the thread go around in a circle.

Claiming that the Winter Olympics is owned by Canada is Bullshit.

A poor nation like North Korea has 3 times more medals than us in the Summer Olympics.  That shouldn't me happening.

quote:

For a little country we're doing quite allright.

We're tied with Mongolia. We send a lot more athletes than Mongolia.

Euhm you have a quote from me in your post, but i think your quoting the wrong person.

[Edited on 2004/8/20 by Dutch_Hab_Fan]

lol what does this have to do with anything? Zdeno Chara could probably dunk a basketball, who cares?  

In the NBA? Probably not.

There are plenty of players in the NBA that are Chara's height. In fact, unless the players step aside and let Chara waltz to the net, he's not going to be able to dunk. He's just going to try to dunk but get stuffed in the process.

My point was to make a statement about hockey compared to other sports since hockey fans seem to think sports like baseball are so easy and dull (false).

Ah yes the great sport of basketball. The one where a couple of individuals per team is enough to start a dynasty. The sport that takes half an hour to play the last minute. The sport where timeouts are used strategically to cool down momentum, just when the action is getting exciting. the NBA is not a team sport at all, to make a quick generalization, it is a sport of whiny, over-paid athletes of which a large portion of them are on drugs.

And yes we are a great winter olympics country. The last 2 olympics we have been near the top of the medal standings. Since the Calgary Olympics, our medal count has risen every year, to a point where we end up with one of the best totals. don't point to the 1972 olympics in Saporro and talk about Canada's one olympics medal.

<i>

During Christmas day it's the NBA on NBC and ABC - not hockey. The ratings are much higher than the NHL.

</i>

I live in Canada, i don't care what americans are watching as much as i care about what Canadians are watching. Why don't you check which sport gets higher ratings in our country?

<i>Until the last Olympics, Canada has been dominated by Russia in hockey - even more than the US. </i>

Check the results for all the best on best tourneys that have been staged in the past 30 years and then come back and talk to me.

<i>You really waste my time when you deny the facts. Either recognize them or don't reply at all.</i>

I would hardly call that 2-bit geocities site that you posted a credible source. Show me some numbers from a decent source and then you can call it a fact.

All in all Ribeiro, if you want to follow what the rest of the world does, then join a basketball/soccer/judo message board. To me, it seems like you like sports based purely on their worldwide popularity.

The one where a couple of individuals per team is enough to start a dynasty.

So? That comment doesn't support anything besides the fact that the NBA has had great players. Yes, when you have Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Toni Kukoc, Steve Kerr and Dennis Rodman you'll have a dynasty. What's your point?

Name a dynasty in the NBA with a couple (2) of individuals that made it.

That is your 1st statement in your post.

The sport that takes half an hour to play the last minute.

That makes it so much more exciting. Every second is used. The NFL tries to do this but since they have less time outs it's harder.

If you don't like time-outs, watch soccer.

. The sport where timeouts are used strategically to cool down momentum, just when the action is getting exciting.

The action is always exciting. The problem with your posts are that they are completely opinionated as opposed to based on facts.

That's your 2nd unbacked comment.

the NBA is not a team sport at all, to make a quick generalization,

Basketball is not a sport? Maybe you should read your posts before submitting them online.

3rd false comment.

it is a sport of whiny, over-paid athletes of which a large portion of them are on drugs.  

As opposed to the NHL, which is a sport full of morons that try to injure and fight each other to the point of legal conviction?

NHL athletes are just as whiny as NBA athletes. At least they don't punch each other in the back of the heads.

I could care less what the NBA players do off the court as long as they don't beat the crap out of each other on it.

don't point to the 1972 olympics in Saporro and talk about Canada's one olympics medal.  

Since when did 4 equal 1? (4th wrong comment) It's sad that you tell us not to point to the 4 times that it has happened.

Would you like us to ignore all of our Countries disappointments?

I live in Canada, i don't care what americans are watching as much as i care about what Canadians are watching. Why don't you check which sport gets higher ratings in our country?  

Do I need to note that NBC and ABC are broadcasted in Canada or is that just too damn obvious? What even hurts your case more is that NBC and ABC aren't on cable. They are broadcasted on basic television in Canada right next to CBC.

That would be your 5th incorrrect statement in your short post.

Maybe you should stop making comments like that.

Why don't you? You haven't backed up any of your 'facts' with links yet. I've done this, you haven't. Do your own research.

All in all Ribeiro, if you want to follow what the rest of the world does, then join a basketball/soccer/judo message board. To me, it seems like you like sports based purely on their worldwide popularity.

I'm an advocator of all sports.

You're interest in hockey lies solely for the fact that Canada is the best at it (noted in an earlier post written by you). You asked if I'd rather have the best swimmers or best hockey team.

If you're interests in sports didn't like solely in nationalistic accomplishments, you wouldn't have asked that.

Check the results for all the best on best tourneys that have been staged in the past 30 years and then come back and talk to me.  

You're saying that Russia hasn't dominated Olympic hockey? :nono:

6th unproven comment.

I would hardly call that 2-bit geocities site that you posted a credible source. Show me some numbers from a decent source and then you can call it a fact.  

In other words, you're wrong. Do you even know what UCLA is?! :lol:

I already found you a link. You haven't proved any of your comments. The only person in this thread that has is Fanpuck33 (which he does consistently).

Mine are backed by sources, yours are not. You basically indirectly insulted yourself and your post.

[Edited on 2004/8/21 by Ribeiro]

LA Lakers.

If you don't like time-outs, watch soccer.  

So you would rather have time outs and commercials than the actual sport? What a testament to the excitement of basketball then.

Basketball is not a sport? Maybe you should read your posts before submitting them online.  

I said NBA Basketball is not a team sport. NBA basketball is about individuals, there is no team play involved for the most part. Maybe you should read my posts before submitting your responses.

Most people would say that Australia is a top team in the summer olympics. they rank 10th in the all time standings.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipsa/A0115108.html

So why isn't Canada a top team in the winter olympics? They rank 10th in all time medal standings.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipsa/A0115207.html

Notice Australia finished 4th at the sydney games, and 7th in the Atlanta games.

Canada was 5th at the Salt Lake Games, 4th at the Nagano games.

<i>Do I need to note that NBC and ABC are broadcasted in Canada or is that just too damn obvious? What even hurts your case more is that NBC and ABC aren't on cable. They are broadcasted on basic television in Canada right next to CBC. That would be your 5th incorrrect statement in your short post.

</i>

Doesn't change the fact that they are American channels, viewed by mostly American viewers. CBC is viewed by mostly Canadian viewers. I really don't see your point here. How is it incorrect to say that i don't care what americans are watching.

<i>Do your own research.

</i>

I don't need to research if hockey gets higher ratings than basketball in this country. I'm surprised you need actual numbers to know this.

<i>You're saying that Russia hasn't dominated Olympic hockey?</i>

I said that Canada has dominated international hockey in best on best situations.

Only the last two olympics have been best on best, Russia has hardly dominated those tourney's with a silver and bronze medal. Best on best tourney's would be the last two olympics, the world cup of 96, and the five Canada Cups, 4 of which were won by Canada. So in best on best tourney's, Canada has 5 wins out of 8. USSR has 1, Czech Republic has 1 and USA has 1.

Hmm, ever heard of the LA Lakers?

That makes it so much more exciting.  Every second is used.  The NFL tries to do this but since they have less time outs it's harder.

They use every second in a ll sports, but in basketball it takes forever to do so. It is the single most annoying thing in sports. In most sports when time is running out, everyone is pumped and on the edge of their seats waiting to see what happens before the final buzzer sounds. In the NBA, people are forced to get excited, then wait, get excited, the wait, etc. How do you call this stop-and-go crap exciting? It completely breaks the flow of a game.

The [NBA]action is always exciting.  The problem with your posts are that they are completely opinionated as opposed to based on facts.

No sport is always exciting. There are lulls in the action of any sport. And I would definitely rank hockey as the sport with the most excitement. When there isn't offense happening, there are still body checks and such. A goal in hockey is much more exciting than hitting a jump shot.

Basketball is not a sport?  Maybe you should read your posts before submitting them online.

Maybe YOU should read people's posts before you comment. He clearly said it is not a TEAM sport, which is completely true. This is another reason why the NBA sucks, and college basketball is on the decline. So few teams play team basketball. Too many teams are based on a collection of individual talent rather than working together.

As opposed to the NHL, which is a sport full of morons that try to injure and fight each other to the point of legal conviction? NHL athletes are just as whiny as NBA athletes.  At least they don't punch each other in the back of the heads. I could care less what the NBA players do off the court as long as they don't beat the crap out of each other on it.  

(I combined a few different statements to save space)

Yeah, everyone in the NHL is an idiot like Bertuzzi. That is an idiotic statement.

And let's see here, have you ever heard of guys like Rodman and Sprewell? Rodman kicked reporters and elbowed players all the time. Sprewell tried to stangle his coach.

By the way, if you read your post closely, you actually accuse NBA players of attacking each other.;)

You're saying that Russia hasn't dominated Olympic hockey?

Again, you make a comment without paying attention to the post you are responding to. He clearly does not say Russia hasn't dominated Olympic hockey, but any international hockey tournament, such as the World Cup and World Championships.

Do you even know what UCLA is?

It doesn't matter that the site is about the UCLA club badminton team, it is still a geocities site. That means it is not officially affiliated with the university. This is a homemade site by the team. The site is no different than a site I would make for the club volleyball team at my college. I could put any statistics up I wanted and make people think they are true because they are on the internet. Be careful what you use as facts. Look at this http://www.johann-sandra.com/popular.htm

This site says both of you a wrong. Who are we to believe? Note at the bottom of the site, they admit the numbers on basketball and volleyball may be too high, but both are still likely higher than badminton. I admit, I don't know how credible their site is. But it shows you can find any stat you want on the internet.

My point was to make a statement about hockey compared to other sports since hockey fans seem to think sports like baseball are so easy and dull (false).

I like baseball, but compared to hockey, it is dull. There is only action every couple minutes. It is so choppy that many find it difficult to to stay interested in. The same can be said for football, where there are 30 seconds between each play. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy baseball and love football, but you cannot deny that the NHL has more constant action, making it more exciting overall.

The NBA would be close, except for the timeouts in the last minute. But I cannot watch the NBA for more than 10 minutes at a time. The referees no longer call penalties based on the rule book. Now, I realize the NHL refs aren't exactly great, but the NBA is the worst. Watch the Olympic US basketball team in their early games. They got called for travelling and charging constantly. This is because they get away with travelling in the NBA, and they always call blocking, even when it is a charge. And not to mention the pushign and shoving in the paint on rebounds.

[Edited on 8-21-04 by Fanpuck33]

I think I read somewhere that volleyball is the Olymnpic sport that the most countries participate in. This was some time ago though, so it may have changed.

Sweden won its first Gold Medal today when our national treasure Carolina Klüft easily won the heptathlon competition. :/):clap::king:

We also got a bronze in the womens 470 sailing race.

[Edited on 2004/8/21 by Doktor Kosmos]