Olympics

Ribeiro

Australia's 4th in medals!

Your swimmers are amazing.

LA Lakers.  

Wrong.

In the process of their Championship victories, players such as Mitch Richmond, Horance Grant, Horry, Glen Rice, John Salley, Karl Malone, Gary Payton and one of the best NBA Coaches in history Phil jackson had apart in their Championships.

All of which listed were either All-stars or had previous Championships before joining the Lakers.

Get your facts straight, dumbass.

So you would rather have time outs and commercials than the actual sport? What a testament to the excitement of basketball then.

Timeouts are apart of the stratergy and planning. The fact that you still don't understand that exposes your ignorance.

I'd rather have great shots, even greater players and brilliant plays over 1 to nothing games and fights.

Hmm, ever heard of the LA Lakers?  

Wrong.

In the NBA, people are forced to get excited, then wait, get excited, the wait, etc.  How do you call this stop-and-go crap exciting?  It completely breaks the flow of a game.  

It's completely exciting watching buzzer beaters and 1 second left in the game. They try to do the same in the NFL with timeouts.

It's extremely exciting and nerve wrecking when your team is down by 1 and someone like Ben Wallace is up to take the Free Throws. All the pressure is directed on him.

A goal in hockey is much more exciting than hitting a jump shot.

According to sports analysts such as Jim Rome and the two hosts of PTI on ESPN, goals in hockey are boring. It's horrible watching a goal deciding the game when it bounces off a players skate and into the net.

I'd much rather watch the two buzzer beaters during the game against Spurs and Lakers than a puck going off Brad May's skate into the net to decide a game or watch someone swing his stick into another players eye.

He clearly said it is not a TEAM sport, which is completely true.

Unless you are talking about 1 on 1 basketball, basketball is a team sport.

The fact that you believe it isn't puts you on a whole new level of stupidity. "basketball isn't a team sport". - Classic.

And let's see here, have you ever heard of guys like Rodman and Sprewell?  Rodman kicked reporters and elbowed players all the time.  Sprewell tried to stangle his coach.  

Rodman kicked a reporter. You're using one of the worst behaving players in the NBA, what's your point?

He elbows players? Are you kidding me? You, a fan of the NHL, complaining about elbows? Would you like to retract that comment since it completely destroys your case.

Fights break out every hockey game.

A push or punch in an NBA gets an ejection and suspension. You don't get any of that in the NHL.

If you believe the NBA is more violent than the NHL, you're even more of a dumbass than Quebecois.

And yes, there are a lot of players like Bertuzzi on the ice. Some players fight even more often than Bertuzzi.

Elbows lol! Classic. An NHL fan complaining about elbowing in the NBA! Absolutely hilarious how that bites you right back in the ass!

This site says both of you a wrong.  Who are we to believe

I was still more correct than both of you. Basketball and Badminton, like I claimed, are more popular than hockey.

Thanks for proving yourself wrong!

Now, I realize the NHL refs aren't exactly great, but the NBA is the worst.

At least then NBA officals don't stand for fighting. The NHL unlike the NBA and NFL is packed full of fights and cheap shots.

In the NHL a fight is a 5 minute penalty. Sick. A whack to the eye with a hockey stick is 2 minutes. Disgusting.

In the NBA, it's an ejection and a suspension.

[Edited on 2004/8/22 by Ribeiro]

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrong.  

In the process of their Championship victories, players such as Mitch Richmond, Horance Grant, Horry, Glen Rice, John Salley, Karl Malone, Gary Payton and one of the best NBA Coaches in history Phil jackson had apart in their Championships.  

All of which listed were either All-stars or had previous Championships before joining the Lakers.  

I just want to point out that Payton and Malone didn't actually win a championship with the Lakers - they lost 4-1 to Detroit in the Finals this year. (And Malone is still searching for a championship as far as I know - don't really know much about the old Utah days.)

The rest of your comment is true though, although Robert Horry was never the contributor like Rice or Richmond then, or Shaq and Kobe (at least until now.)

Anyways back to on topic, we're up to 3 medals now and counting! Woo!

Oh well, win or lose, it makes for decent TV watching.

Originally posted by Ribeiro

Let's see here, how many championships have Payton and Malone won? That's right sero. The guys you listed went to the Lakers in the twilights of their careers becuase they knew that Shaq and Kobe would carry them deep into the playoffs. Sure, they contributed, but it was Shaq and Kobe under Phil Jackson who won the championships.

Timeouts are a part of the stratergy and planning. The fact that you still don't understand that exposes your ignorance.

I'd rather have great shots, even greater players and brilliant plays over 1 to nothing games and fights.

I perfectly undertand this, don't assume that I don't, it simply shows your own ignorance. It's a horrible part of the game though. Give them one or two timeouts near the end to try to set up a winning shot, not 5 or 6. I completely slows down the pace of an otherwise quick game. And do you think basketball players are better athletes than hockey players?

It's completely exciting watching buzzer beaters and 1 second left in the game. They try to do the same in the NFL with timeouts.

It's extremely exciting and nerve wrecking when your team is down by 1 and someone like Ben Wallace is up to take the Free Throws. All the pressure is directed on him.

Of course buzzer beaters are exciting, but having to sit through 4-5 timeouts before it happens is annoying, frustrating, and boring. Isn't it exciting in hockey when a team pulls their goalie and scores in the final seconds? And you only have to sit through one time out, if that.

Unless you are talking about 1 on 1 basketball, basketball is a team sport.

Come on, pay attention to an NBA game. They do not play as a team, but as a collection of individuals. Too many guys a guy brings the ball down the court, takes it in himself and misses a shot. He easily could have passed to an open teammate or set up some offense. Teams like Bird's Celtics and Magic's Lakers are gone. Those were teams who succeeded because they played as a team. There is very little team play left in the NBA.

Rodman kicked a reporter. You're using one of the worst behaving players in the NBA, what's your point?

It's no different than you talking about Bertuzzi hitting Moore, one of the worst events in hockey. And what about guys like Sprewell who tried to kill his coach and Karl Malone, who is famous for his elbows? There are cheapshot artists in any sport, so don't try to convince us it only happens in hockey.

You, a fan of the NHL, complaining about elbows? Would you like to retract that comment since it completely destroys your case. Fights break out every hockey game.

Fighting is a part of hockey, it is not a part of basketball. There is a ridiculous amount of illegal pushing and shoving that goes on in the paint and doesn't get called. Players are all over each and get away with it. Physical play is a part of hockey, it should not be a part of basketball, which is definitely the case.

If you believe the NBA is more violent than the NHL, you're even more of a dumbass than Quebecois.

Putting words in my mouth? I never once said this. I simply stated that NBA players behave poorly, in an attempt to show you that the NHL is not the only league with blemishes on its record.

And yes, there are a lot of players like Bertuzzi on the ice. Some players fight even more often than Bertuzzi.

There is nothing wrong with fighting in the NHL. And there are not many players on the ice like Bertuzzi. How often do you see a guy viciously attack another guy like that? McSorely is the only other NHL incident that is like this.

I was still more correct than both of you. Basketball and Badminton, like I claimed, are more popular than hockey.

Neither of us tried to say this. Quebecois simply stated hockey was the second most international sport. He did not say that hockey was the 2nd most popular sport around the world. He still may be incorrect, but not for what you accuse him of. And I NEVER stated anything this this. I simply showed a site that contradicted your site.

At least then NBA officals don't stand for fighting. The NHL unlike the NBA and NFL is packed full of fights and cheap shots. In the NHL a fight is a 5 minute penalty. Sick. A whack to the eye with a hockey stick is 2 minutes. Disgusting. In the NBA, it's an ejection and a suspension.

A high stick to the eye draws more than a 2 minute penalty. If it was intentional, the ref will eject the player for intent to injure, and will then be suspended. What is so sick about 5 minutes for fighting? Fighting is a part of the game, that is tolerated but not encouraged. In a sport as physical as hockey, there are times when people have to stand up and defend their teammates. The NBA is not supposed to be a physical sport, therefore there is not to be any fighting.

Anyways, this has nothing to do with the officials, they do not make the rules. The NBA refs allow far too much physical play and do not call traveling and charging nearly as much as they happen. The lack of rules in the NBA makes it sick to watch. Why do I want to see LeBron take 3 steps to make a dunk or watch a guy standing perfectly still get called for blocking time and time again? If they called fouls, the NBA would be much better. It would be even better if they played it as a team, the way it was meant to be played.

Think about it, players get away with so much, but scoring is still down. Why? Because there is no team play. In the days of Bird and Magic, teams almost always scored 90-110 points. Now, half the time I think I am looking at WNBA scores. Players play for their own stats. Big deal if Tracy McGrady scores 50 points and loses because he didn't let others have a chance. Bird could score 50 points and have 10+ assists.

The fact that you include Gary Payton and Karl Malone on this list is rather pathetic. Oh of course, Robert Horry of the career 7.7 Pts per game average.

Glen Rice played well for the one championship year that he was in LA, they won 3 in a row so he was barely part of the "dynasty" His PPG average fell from around 15 to 12.4 during their championship year.

Mitch Richmond was a top notch NBA player...until he got to La where he averaged 4.1 PPG and started a whopping 2 games in the 2001-2002 season.

He averaged a rather low 1.5 PPG in 4 playoff minutes.

Horace Grant averaged 8.5 PPG in his lone season in LA. He did average 7.1 rebs so he was a decent contributor, for a season. In the playoffs he dropped to 6 ppg and 6 rpg.

John Salley had a decent career but in 1999-2000 he had just 1.6 PPG, dropping down to 0.9 PPG.

During the Lakers 3 championship seasons, Kobe and Shaq together totaled more than 50% of the team's points during that season. In 1999-2000 shaq averaged 29.7, Kobe 22.5. together that is 52.2 or 52% of the Lakers 100.8 average.

In 2000-2001 they combined for 57.2 PPG or 57% of the Lakers 100.6 average.

In 2001-2002 they combined for 52.4 PPG or 52% of the Lakers 101.3 average.

In the playoffs the percentage of points scored by Kobe and Shaq were 52%, 58% and 56%.

In 84-85 Gretzky and Kurri had a combined total of 144 goals, which was still only good enough for a combined percentage of 36%.

The fact that you believe it isn't puts you on a whole new level of stupidity. "basketball isn't a team sport". - Classic.

It is technically, but not in reality. If NBA players knew how to play as a team then the USA Mens basketball team would not have lost 2 games to Puerto Rico and Lithuainia (sp?)

According to sports analysts such as Jim Rome and the two hosts of PTI on ESPN, goals in hockey are boring. It's horrible watching a goal deciding the game when it bounces off a players skate and into the net.

Wow 3 sports analysts believe that hockey goals are boring. I want to alert this message board that we have been following the wrong sport this whole time! Let's follow Dragon boat racing and badminton because they have more participants worldwide!

By the way show me where i said hockey was the 2nd most international sport.

To get back on track a little, The men's four race this morning was very exciting. I woke up to watch it and im going to do the same for tomorrow mornings men's eights and lightweight fours. Mark Boswell looked great in the qualification round, a medal would be nice in that.

Nick Macrozonaris's showing was a bit disappointing for me. I thought he would be inspired and would at least make the semi-finals, if not the finals.

GO CANADA!

[Edited on 22/8/04 by Quebecois]

Originally posted by Quebecois

By the way show me where i said hockey was the 2nd most international sport.]

Sorry, it was sakiqc who said that shortly after he said he agreed with you, but you were not the one who originally said it.

I guess I missed that in my effort to refute Ribeiro's claims.

Let's see here, how many championships have Payton and Malone won?

They just finished winning a Conference Championship last season.

Plus, I said all of the stars I listed either won a Championship or were All-stars. Last time I checked, both Payton and Malone were All-stars.

Isn't it exciting in hockey when a team pulls their goalie and scores in the final seconds?

No, because that rarely happens. A lot less than buzzer beaters do in the NBA.

The ratings tell you the NHL is boring. Admit it.

They do not play as a team, but as a collection of individuals.

Like the Lakers dynasty? The team you claimed had only 2 stars? I guess Glen Rice and Mitch Richmond aren't stars? I guess the multiple time Champion John Salley and Horace Grant (2 dynasties) means nothing?

I think you should stop with the idiotic comments.

Teams like Bird's Celtics and Magic's Lakers are gone.

The former Champions of the East the New Jersey Nets, San Antionio Spurs, Sacramento Kings and the Detroit Pistons are examples of successful teams not based on 1 superstar.

The only team that fits your description are the current 76ers based on Iverson. However, when they made the Finals the 76ers had the Coach of The Year, Defensive Player of The Year, and Best 6th Man.

So really, basketball is a team sport. Wrong assumption by you.

? There are cheapshot artists in any sport, so don't try to convince us it only happens in hockey.

Again, you're embarassing yourself. You're talking about elbows in the NBA? They happen every game in the NHL so shutup about elbows.

Malone and Rodman get technical fouls and ejections for elbows. You get 2 minute minors in the NHL at best.

Mentioning elbows just makes your defense for the NHL even more idiotic.

There is a ridiculous amount of illegal pushing and shoving that goes on in the paint and doesn't get called.

Again, you're making a stupid comment.

That's even worse than you complaining about elbows in the NBA.

Elbows and shoving happen multiple times every game in the NHL, just look at the concussions that happen. Stop embarassing your league.

Please compare an elbow from Malone to an elbow that 95% of the NHL players will throw.

You're proving how inferior the NHL is.

There is nothing wrong with fighting in the NHL. And there are not many players on the ice like Bertuzzi. How often do you see a guy viciously attack another guy like that? McSorely is the only other NHL incident that is like this.

Every game with a concussion causing hit or elbow, something that happens all the time in the NHL that you seem to be so against.

1 player does it in the NBA, and he's the only player you mention.

In fact, I'm going to quote your comment just to put the irony on display:

Fanpuck compares frequent elbows, slashes, concussions, fighting and cheapshots in the NHL to an elbow thrown in the NBA:

Rodman kicked reporters and elbowed players all the time.

Again, thanks for embarassing your league.

It's no different than you talking about Bertuzzi hitting Moore, one of the worst events in hockey.

When has an event like that ever happened in the NBA?

The worse you can compare up with is an elbow. Something that is all too common in the NHL.

Fighting is a part of the game

Wrong.

It is part of the NHL. It isn't apart of international play like the Olympics.

Fighting is not apart of the game, that's why a penalty is assessed. Except that the NHL is the only league dumb enough to be so easy on it.

At least in the NFL and NBA, players aren't dumb enough to punch the hell out of each other.

They don't try to blind each other with sticks or give each other concussions with elbows either.

If NBA players knew how to play as a team then the USA Mens basketball team would not have lost 2 games to Puerto Rico and Lithuainia (sp?)

They're just a bunch of stars put together. You can't expect immediate team play.

How would you know they would win if they played as a team? That's just another wrong comment from you.

According to ESPN and Brown, the problem is they haven't gotten enough practice time like the rest of the Countries do.

Look at Germany and Canada's team. You can't just stick a star in there and expect success.

Wow 3 sports analysts believe that hockey goals are boring.

You could look at the ratings like I told you to.

Oh of course, Robert Horry of the career 7.7 Pts per game average.

Glen Rice played well for the one championship year that he was in LA

Mitch Richmond was a top notch NBA player...until he got to La where he averaged 4.1 PPG and started a whopping 2 games in the 2001-2002 season.

Horace Grant averaged 8.5 PPG in his lone season in LA. He did average 7.1 rebs so he was a decent contributor, for a season. In the playoffs he dropped to 6 ppg and 6 rpg.

John Salley had a decent career but in 1999-2000 he had just 1.6 PPG, dropping down to 0.9 PPG.

Again you decide not to actually understand the post, but jump to a reply and to waste everyone's time.

I will mention it to you one last time, if you don't get it - too bad. Everyone I mentioned in my previous post were either All-stars or have won Championships previous to joining the Lakers.

NBA.com:

He and Scottie Pippen are the only two active players with five-or-more NBA Championships (Horry has five while Pippen has six)

2 were from before he jointed the Lakers, with the Rockets. Horry had a tremendous career with the Lakers. It's obvious you don't know shit about this game when you make dumbass comments like that. he started every game of the finals. He set a playoff record for most 3 pointers made in a game without missing. Kobe calls him, "Mr. Big Shot".

Yes, Glen Rice was a member of the Lakers during the time they won a Championship. Thank you for repeating what I said and making the thread go in a needless circle like I told you to stop doing.

Yes, Mitch Richmond was a member of the Lakers during the time they won a Championship. See above.

Horance Grant and John Salley are both great role players that have won Championships before joining the Lakers. Exactly what I said. What are you trying to prove besides the fact that I'm right and you don't pay attention to what you write.

Do you even like the NHL? All you are doing here is saying how horrible the NHL is and calling it "my league."

Physical play is a part of hockey, no matter where it is played. Playing physical is part of the rules, which is why body checks are legal. In basketball, the only time players should touch are when they are boxing out. But this is not the case. Players like Shaq simply use their size to "back people down." How is puching a guy out of your way legal within the confines of basketball? And when people guard a guy, they practically molest the guy with the ball. This is not how basketball is to be played.

And you keep complaining about me talking about elbows in the NBA, when I mentioned it breifly, not part of my main argument. But I will still defend my argument. Sometimes when NHL players hit people, they let their elbow get up, most of the time accidentally, and are sent to the box. Accidentall elbows will happen when you play physically. But what excuse is there for NBA players. Many times when players come down with a rebound, they swing their arms wildly to prevent others from getting it. How is this legal? Since when is it legal to protect the ball by trying to hit people. Sure, they call it sometimes, but not often. And it is purely deliberate, since there is not supposed to be physical play in the NBA.

You keep talking about how the NBA suspends people for elbows. Then explain this: why does the NBA not give a guy like Karl Malone a severe suspension for being a multiple offender. If they really wanted to stop him, wouldn't they give him more than just a couple games each time he does it? In the NHL, players like Marchment get a longer suspension each time they commit dirty plays. I don't see this at all in the NBA.

Anyway, what about my arguments about traveling and charging calls? You completely ignore them, which leads me to believe you agree with me. Face it, the NBA would be infinitely better if the players played together and the refs called the fouls as they are written in the rule book.

I will mention it to you one last time, if you don't get it - too bad. Everyone I mentioned in my previous post were either All-stars or have won Championships previous to joining the Lakers.

I made the statement, and Quebecois showed the facts that showed these were players who used to be great, then went to the Lakers late in their careers so they could be on a team with Shaq and Kobe. Yes, they are fine players, but the teams would be nothing without Shaq and Kobe, making it a 2 man team. Just watch the Lakers this season. They are not the same without Shaq.

Concerning the USA basketball team. I am sick of the excuses. People say the other countries have caught up to the US in terms of skill. If this were true, the NBA would be drafting all of these international players. But most teams in this Olympics have at most 2-3 NBA caliber players on them. But the US team has all NBA caliber players. So why do they lose? It is because they cannot compare to the teamwork of the other countries. The other nations play as a team, while the US players whine about playing time and try to make themselves look good. The only real team players I see on the US team are Tim Duncan and Dwayne Wade, maybe LeBron James. It just goes to show that most NBA stars do not understand the true meaning of team.

By the way, back to the original topic of this thread, the US now has 45 medals, 4 more than the closest competition, China.:clap:

[Edited on 8-22-04 by Fanpuck33]

Do you even like the NHL?

Not that much.

It's really not that great a brand of hockey.

Anyway, what about my arguments about traveling and charging calls?

I would reply to them if you and Quebecois wouldn't go in circles and compare Malone's elbow to the NHL's concussion causing elbows, hits and slashes.

Again - wasting my time. Until you stop doing that, I can't reply to all your comments.

Charging is used as a stratergy. A good defender can get an offender to charge.

I see more than enough traveling calls. I loved the Officiating in the NBA finals. Finally, they were tough on Shaq and there calls were very accurate to Laker fans dismay (3 in the Key).

I made the statement, and Quebecois showed the facts that showed these were players who used to be great, then went to the Lakers late in their careers so they could be on a team with Shaq and Kobe.

They are free agents, they can go wherever they want. Glen Rice didn't join the Lakers just to be with Kobe, he joined because they offered him lots of cash. The same with Richmond.

Yes, they are fine players, but the teams would be nothing without Shaq and Kobe, making it a 2 man team.

When you take the two best players off a team, it causes a devesating effect.

It's sad that you don't realize this.

If you took Richard Zednik and Saku Koivu from the Canadiens, they wouldn't be as good, just like the Lakers without Shaq and Kobe.

What's your point?

But most teams in this Olympics have at most 2-3 NBA caliber players on them. But the US team has all NBA caliber players. So why do they lose? It is because they cannot compare to the teamwork of the other countries. The other nations play as a team, while the US players whine about playing time and try to make themselves look good.

ESPN and Brown will be first to jump on the Dream Team's mistakes, but they didn't because they played as a team. They missed shots and they haven't had enough practice - simple.

Christ, you guys need to cool down. Why don't you take it elsewhere and let us who are interested in the Olympics discuss things in this one?

Unfortunately our Swedish table tennis player Jan Ove Waldner lost the semifinal to Ryu Seung Min (South Korea). Hopefully, he can win the bronze medal game though.

I am completely devastated that the Canadian men's eights didn't even win a medal. They had a 17 race win streak going into Athens and they come out with a 5th place finish, unbelievable. Another disapointment for Canada, hopefully Emilie Heymans gets us a gold later today because i am rather depressed right now.

I would reply to them if you and Quebecois wouldn't go in circles and compare Malone's elbow to the NHL's concussion causing elbows, hits and slashes.

I brought up elbows in the NBA, you were the one who compared them to hits in hockey.

Anyone see how Michael Phelps got his 8th medal last night? He swam in the semi-final, but not the final. He still got a medal. I see why he gets a medal, but it still doesn't seem quite right.

Shewfelt with a nice gold in men's floor exercise. Heymans blew it on her final dive and finished a disapointing fourth. Felicien made it past the opening heats in the hurdles. Canada's baseball team is up 11-0 on the Aussies, will face Cuba in the semis.

<i>Ahem, how's Canada doing? </i>

One medal ahead of Sweden at the time of this post.

[Edited on 22/8/04 by Quebecois]

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

[Anyone see how Michael Phelps got his 8th medal last night? He swam in the semi-final, but not the final. He still got a medal. I see why he gets a medal, but it still doesn't seem quite right.

It's fine with me... it is clear they would have won gold either way and he was simply allowing one of his teammates to share in the fun.

Btw.. as this has become a thread in which all other nationalities are are shoving it in our faces that we suck and they are doing better than us... ever think of just closing the thread?

j/k ;)

Right about now we need a version of this smiley :can: with a little paper bad on his head.... hehe

Another abysmal day... despite the lone brightspot in gymnastics.

The vaunted rowing team got 1 silver total, when 5 or 6 were expected.

The men's 8 had been the kings for years... finished 5th.

Both volleyball teams should have won, it was both within their reach... but they couldn't come up with the big performance when the chips were down.

Boswell did what he does every time, show promise then finishes out of the medals.

And last but not least, Heymans is in silver medal position, in striking distance of the gold... then flops her last dive, a dive she almost never misses.

It's called a classic choke, she finishes 4th.

I have a few recommendation on where we go from here:

- have roots design a nice paper bag as part of the next uniform for our athletes, and fans alike.

- petition the IOC to institute a 4th medal, let's call the nickel medal... to get our medal count up (we've collected a ton of 4th & 5th places)

- or more seriously, use these Games as a major wake up call... and get our act together, whether it's too late for the 2010 games or not.

On a whole it really is embarrassing, although generalizing isn't fair... as some individuals have done very well.

That lone gold medal so far was a brilliant, and clutch performance... very happy for him, I hope the run that performance on a loop in the Olympic village: show 'em how it's done.

And also congrats to Peticlerc who won the gold in the wheelchair race... even if it doesn't officially count as a medal I couldn't care less.

She's one of the VERY few athletes who delivered for us, she deserves no less praise.

<i> or more seriously, use these Games as a major wake up call... and get our act together, whether it's too late for the 2010 games or not.

</i>

I don't see why your worried about the 2010 games, remember the winter games aren't our problem. In Salt Lake we had our best medal total ever, and have improved our medal total every year. It's pretty tough to tell who will represent Canada in 6 years, but i expect a nice medal count for 2010.

I still think these games can be salvaged somewhat if a few athletes actually put in clutch performances. Felicien, Despatie and Simon Whitfield to name a few.

The summer olympic program does need an overhaul though, i don't know how they are gonna clean it up, but something has to be done. Too many athletes are simply underperforming.

Think about it, players get away with so much, but scoring is still down. Why? Because there is no team play. In the days of Bird and Magic, teams almost always scored 90-110 points. Now, half the time I think I am looking at WNBA scores. Players play for their own stats. Big deal if Tracy McGrady scores 50 points and loses because he didn't let others have a chance. Bird could score 50 points and have 10+ assists.

How come it says that I edited Fanpuck33's post?

I brought up elbows in the NBA, you were the one who compared them to hits in hockey.

Because it's pathetic that you, a fan of the most violent major League in sports is complaining about elbows in the NBA. Elbows happen every week in the NHL. You're just insulting indirectly insulting the NHL.

It's fine with me... it is clear they would have won gold either way and he was simply allowing one of his teammates to share in the fun.

Phelps is not only a great athlete but has awesome sportsmanship letting his teammate have a chance at a medal.

Phelps has more medals himself than most Countries.

The Dream Team isn't looking so sharp...

Phelps has more medals himself than most Countries.

Most sports in the olympics doesn't have 32 medals to share.

If Christian Olsson was alowed to compete in octo-jump, tripple jump, doubble jump, quadra jump and hexa jump I think he could have beaten Phelps.

The Dream Team isn't looking so sharp...

Which can easily be explained. Team USA is a bunch of NBA players who are not used to playing against players who play together as a team. They are also not used to using teamwork, something that is needed to defeat other teams who work together.

And I hate people calling this the Dream Team. There was only one Dream Team, and it was the original Dream Team from 1992. The 2004 squad may be younger and have as much individual talent, but the 1992 squad were almost all veterans who knew how the game was supposed to be played.

Which can easily be explained. Team USA is a bunch of NBA players who are not used to playing against players who play together as a team. They are also not used to using teamwork, something that is needed to defeat other teams who work together.

Lack of practice and time together is the reason for their unsharp play - nothing else.

. There was only one Dream Team, and it was the original Dream Team from 1992.

And 1996

I think that the finals of the 100 m hurdles race sums up the olympics so far for Canada. Felicien went down at the first hurdle after being the heavy favourite for this event. At least Canada did enjoy some success elsewhere with Munsen getting a gold in track cycling and Despatie getting a silver in 3 m springboard.

This reminds me of Jeremy Weatherspoon's tumble in speed skating at Salt Lake in 2002.

Ouch, Japan hammered Canada 11-2 in the bronze medal baseball game. Surprsing they went that far though.

Here's a bit of an article about why the US is dominating:

"Increasingly, the USA is becoming a nation of achievers and non-achievers. Those who are motivated and disciplined can succeed in a huge way.

We are the most powerful nation in the history of the world. And individual Americans are the reason why. Unlike China, which has five times as many people as America, all our Olympic training is privately funded. Our athletes are subjected to intense competition from a very young age, but that competition is voluntary. Nobody here is forced to do anything.

Totalitarian regimes are able to motivate athletes as we saw in the old Soviet Union. As long as you perform well, you live well. Fail, and it's back to the harsh life.

But here in the USA, our athletes have to motivate themselves. And that's why this country has been successful. Many Americans will suffer the pain of hard work to achieve their potential. And hard work always wins.

In other countries, the emphasis on self-reliance has been beaten down by nanny states and entitlement cultures. Just take a look at Australia and Canada, for example. The Aussies have 20 million people to draw from. Canada has 30 million. Yet the Aussies have 35 Olympic medals, Canada just five.

"Talking Points" believes this is reflective of the systems in those countries. Australia is a place where self-reliance is emphasized and competition is celebrated. Canada has become increasingly socialistic, as big government programs ensure everyone is marginally taken care of. I may be wrong here, but I see the entitlement culture as a force against self-discipline and motivation.

Americans should be very proud of our Olympic people, and we largely are. Politicians could learn a lot from the competitive forces that have resulted in our success. We are a great nation because individual Americans have worked insanely hard to develop their God-given abilities. I'm one of them, and you probably are as well.

Together, we the people have demonstrated to the world that freedom and achievement are a matched set. The USA dominates in technology, science, higher education, the arts, and in protecting the oppressed of the world. We are a strong country because of individual achievement.

We need to keep emphasizing personal responsibility and discipline. If we do, we'll get even stronger. If we don't, the specter of a decadent Western Europe beckons. Congratulations to our Olympic athletes. And that's the memo."

-Bill O'Reilly

[Edited on 8-25-04 by Fanpuck33]