Olympics

Ribeiro

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

The Aussies have 20 million people to draw from. Canada has 30 million. Yet the Aussies have 35 Olympic medals, Canada just five...

Australia is a place where self-reliance is emphasized and competition is celebrated.

[Edited on 8-25-04 by Fanpuck33]

GO THE AUSSIES!

YAH!

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!

OI OI OI!

Canada and Australia are brothers in arms, we should throw down the Evil Queen, unite as one country, and rule the world with Ice Hockey and Kangaroos.

Sound plausible? :D

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Australia is really good at sports that no one ever heard of...

When did Australia won a medal in a soccer tournament last time? Or Hockey? Or how about handball or basket?

I think this is why the Olympics are still so important. It shows a more neutral side of a countrys athletic side.

When it's time for Olympics both China and Australia are big nations. But when it's time for more comercial sports-event they aren't a nation to count on. And I think that's cool.

Hope anybody could understand what I just wrote...

i was not aware that australia was so much more right-wing than canada... they have a public medicare system. Although they allow for private care, if you are rich they charge you a levy tax for the privilege. This is less socialized than canada, but much more left wing than the US system. Their prime minister is a member of the liberals. They have mandatory voting.

China is left wing like I'm a leafs fan.

Per capita medal acquisition is much higher in australia than in the USA. I definitely agree with Mr. O'reilly that the US should adopt many of the government reforms extant in Australia.

Out of curiosity, how does the general funding for olympic athletes in australia work? BTW - the US government drops a ton of cash on training americans, none the least of which is giving them athletic scholarships at public universities such as UCLA and UMich to get a constant training in their disciplines.

[Edited on 8/26/2004 by simonus]

But you have to work your ass off on your own money to be able to even have a chance to go to those kind of schools on athletic scholarships. And then they have the challenge of not only doing schoolwork and training, but to do well enough to keep the scholarship both academically and physically.

And let's see here. Would you call requiring women to abort all but their first child right-wing? I was not aware communism was right-wing.

[Edited on 8-26-04 by Fanpuck33]

communism is neither left-wing or right-wing. To equate a totalitarian dictatorship with a social democracy is misleading and baseless. I've never heard a democrat push for requiring abortions. they are libertarians on this issue - do as thou wilt.

Of course, everybody knows that nobody has to work in canada to acheive their dreams. We just hand everything to everybody on a silver platter. That is why nobody in canada has ever acheived anything. By the way - how do you like that jet you fly in, that subway you ride on, that graphics card that you are using to view my post and all those canadian athletes that you have written about. Of course American athletes have to work in some respect to get their scholarships, but it is the government, not 3M and Nike, that give it to them.

Originally posted by ch_nl

Yeah, Australia is really good at sports that no one ever heard of...

When did Australia won a medal in a soccer tournament last time? Or Hockey? Or how about handball or basket?

I think this is why the Olympics are still so important. It shows a more neutral side of a countrys athletic side.

LMAO, so true :D. We excel in Rugby Union, Cricket, Rugby League (a different type), Swimming, Australian Football League (like Rugby, but more kicking-oriented).

But don't get on my case about soccer - the Socceroos (mens) did well this year, being defeated by Iraq in the quarterfinals in the Olympics. And our women's team was knocked out by Sweden (boooo :nono: ) also in the Q-Finals.

Our hockey team (not ice) is playing in the gold medal game. You expecting us to play ice hockey and do well is like us expecting you to play field hockey and play well - it's not going to happen.

We don't have a handball team, but handball really isn't popular outside of Europe - and seeing as that is 6 other continents...

Australia > Sweden except in ice hockey - and unfortunately that's all that matters :(

Or is it you just want part of the Canada-Australia alliance? You have an attractive heiress to the throne, she can rule instead of Queen Elizabeth. THEN we'll have the best ice hockey team (OMG, Lemieux-Forsberg-Iginla :idea: ), the most liberal-thinking and attractive government in the world (legalized marijuana, legal prostitution and a low drinking age), and the best tourist spots on the globe

"Oh Aus-sweeee-da, our home and native land/s..."

[Edited on 2004/8/27 by TheAussiePosse]

And USA's "dream team" is out of gold medal contention. Just goes to show you how important teamwork is to the average NBA player.

2 medals for Canada today, a silver in mountain biking and a bronze in kayak.

:can::can::can:

[Edited on 28/8/04 by Quebecois]

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

When your captain shows up late for practice and than complains about it, you know you're going nowhere. Thats what AI did and it looks damn good on the cocky, self-rightouts, thinking-they-own-the-game Americans.

Go Argentina!

So? Canadians think they own the game of hockey. When in reality, Canada has been a lot less sucessful than the Americans have at dominating basketball these past 2 decades. Whether it be at the World Championships or Olympics.

Just goes to show you how important teamwork is to the average NBA player.

You shouldn't be making any comments about basketball.

You've shown in previous threads that you know little about the NBA.

You made comments such as, "The Lakers are a 2-man Dynasty" completely ignoring the huge list of Champions and All-stars that have played along side Kobe and Shaq.

You made comments about lack of team work, completely disregarding the NJ Nets, Detroit Pistons, Spurs, and Kings.

Stop making things up about the NBA.

[Edited on 2004/8/28 by Ribeiro]

Originally posted by Ribeiro

You made comments such as, "The Lakers are a 2-man Dynasty" completely ignoring the huge list of Champions and All-stars that have played along side Kobe and Shaq.

Those same players whom we have shown were beyond their prime and not contributors, but not key contributors.

Hmm holland lost 2 hockey finals (men and women), so 2 zilver medals. I watched both games, and for me it's so hard 2 watch. In Icehockey, so much is allowed, here you can't do shit! Makes it kinda boring. Only one site of the stick is allowed, can't touch the ball with the foot, and all contact is forbidden.

Congratz Australia for winning the men final

[Edited on 2004/8/28 by Dutch_Hab_Fan]

Those same players whom we have shown were beyond their prime and not contributors, but not key contributors.

They served their roles PERFECTLY. The Lakers could not have won their last NBA Championship without Robert Horry or Derek Fisher's spectacular 3 point shooting. The fact that you completely ignore them shows how little you know about the game.

Weren't you the guy that said the last minutes of the NBA are boring? I guess you missed the Spurs/Lakers playoff game. You must have, or you're completely delusional.

I never said that NBA games can't be exciting in the end. I said that the time-outs take away from the flow of the game, frustrate awaiting fans, and piss most people off.

Without Shaq or Kobe the Lakers would not have won anything. A good TEAM can overcome the loss of a star with good team play. The Lakers could not have won without either of those two.

Disappointing night for Despatie. He had folded in the last few rounds and got 4th.

[Edited on 8-29-04 by Fanpuck33]

Without Shaq or Kobe the Lakers would not have won anything. A good TEAM can overcome the loss of a star with good team play. The Lakers could not have won without either of those two.

No team can win a Championship win they are missing their two biggest stars. What kind of f-ed up comment was that? No shit you can't win a Championship when two superstars are gone. Just like the Bulls couldn't have won without Pippen or Jordan, or Jazz without Malone/Stockon.

With an ignorant comment like that, you should really stop talking about a sport you know nothing about

[Edited on 2004/8/30 by Ribeiro]

I never said they would lose without both players, so YOU stop making the ignorant comments. I said if EITHER had been injured they would have been nothing. The "team" revolves around those two so much that without either one they are a decent "team" at best. A good team could overcome the loss of a star. Sure, they would not be as good, but they would still be a good team. The Lakers, however, would not have won anything without EITHER Kobe or Shaq, and unless they build a new team atmosphere, they will be terrible this season. If you had ever seen the Celtics and Lakers of the 80's you would know what a team really is.

By the way, doesn't ANYBODY have anything to say about Paul Hamm?

[Edited on 8-30-04 by Fanpuck33]

I said if EITHER had been injured they would have been nothing.

You can't lose a superstar and be the same team. IT'S COMMON SENSE. Especially superstars as powerful as either Kobe or Shaq. And Shaq and Kobe were both either injured or busy this season during a few games, and the Lakers still won.

Edmonton won the cup without Gretzky and Coffey.

You can't compare Gretzky to Shaq. Shaq is the most dominant player in the game both on the offensive and defensive side.

You have it backwards Ribeiro, you cannont compare Shaq to Gretzky. Gretzky is arguably the best hockey player of ALL-TIME. He holds the single season and career scoring records in almost every category. He is 10 times a better hockey player than Shaq is a basketball player.

This is because Shaq is not a good basketball player. He is only good at the game because he is bigger than everyone else. He can't shoot worth crap, and scores nearly all his points within 7 feet of the basket. If he is so great, why has he never scored 100 points like Wilt? How many offensive records does he have? He gets away with so much it is digusting. He just stands in the paint, pushing and shoving all the smaller people around so that he can get the rebound and such. He is one of the many things wrong with the NBA.

[Edited on 8-31-04 by Fanpuck33]

You'd give your right arm to have Shaq as your centre. He can't shoot, so what? He is a centre, not a shooting guard. His job is to get rebounds and put the ball in when in close. 21.5 points per game with 11.5 rebounds. Who cares if he scores all his shots inclose, thats what a centre is supposed to do! Name me a centre who is a great 3-point shooter? Ming, Wallace, Miller are all similiar to Shaq.

Brad Miller is a good shooter and Ben Wallace uses skill to be a good defensive player. And when did I say Shaq should be able to shoot threes? I said he can't hit anything outside of 7 feet, including his terrible free throw shooting. I am terrible at basketball, but I can make a freaking free throw more often than Shaq. I never said he doesn't put up good numbers, because he he does. But he does not do it because of skill. He does it because he is bigger than everyone else. Shaq just pushes people out of his way and dunks. That takes zero skill. I would not want him on my team.