Canadiens DVD box set coming in NOV.

House11

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cant wait for this...Any guesses on the games?

Definitely illegal stick, too many men, new years eve

maybe the miracle comeback of last season?

Ive been hoping for a nice Habs DVD set for a while :clap:

It will depend on how the online voting went, but there were 15 candidates. Link

If the Habs make a habit of releasing these kinds of DVDs, it could bankrupt me. As it is, this one will make an ideal Christmas present.

I'll assume these games are on there:

1977 Game 4, Stanley Cup Final - Lemaire's OT Cup winner

1966 Game 6, Stanley Cup Final - Henri Richard's OT Cup Winner

1971.... either a game from the Cup Final (Game 6 or 7 wins), or the big comeback against Boston in Game 2 (Down 5-1, 5-2 going into the 3rd, winning 7-5).

Too bad there likely aren't tapes of Richard's 5 goal performance in 1944 kicking around somewhere. Anyone know if there are any of the 1952 game where he scored the series winner vs. Boston with blood dripping down his face?

Possible inclusion? 1986 SCF Game 2 - Skrewie's record for quickest OT winner.

cant wait for this...Any guesses on the games?

Definitely illegal stick, too many men, new years eve

maybe the miracle comeback of last season?

Ive been hoping for a nice Habs DVD set for a while :clap:

Wow... only one game I mentioned is on there (Lemaire's 1977 OT winner). Is the tape quality just that poor for the 1960s/1971 games?

Wow... only one game I mentioned is on there (Lemaire's 1977 OT winner). Is the tape quality just that poor for the 1960s/1971 games?

http://wwwrealitycheckeyesontheprize.blogs...ssic-games.html

Apparently the CBC wiped the games to tape over them. Apparently there are only 3 games from 1968 to 1974.

The 71 playoffs do exist but the rights are owned by NESN and CBS.

Unfortunate, but still a must have for the collection.

If they need anything from 1993 I have the Finals on tape :)

Canadiens - Whalers 86' Game 7 Adams Division Finals

Greatest playoff game I can remember (and I'm 32..)

I bet u a bottle of ouzo, a souvlaki and a signed autographed picture of Tom the Bomb dancing to Zorba the Greek that that game will be on.. :popcorn:

Canadiens - Whalers 86' Game 7 Adams Division Finals

Greatest playoff game I can remember (and I'm 32..)

I bet u a bottle of ouzo, a souvlaki and a signed autographed picture of Tom the Bomb dancing to Zorba the Greek that that game will be on.. :popcorn:

Have you rewatched it since? I have seen it on ESPN classic and it is a pretty boring 1-0 defensive game until

Babych scored with less than 5 minutes to go.

The Lemieux winner is a classic, but the whole game itself does not hold up.

Compare it to Game 3 in MSG a week later.

Bobby Smith scoring late to tie the game followed by Roy standing on his head and Lemieux roofing one of the Beezer

to essentially clinch a trip to the Cup final.

That game should be on there but unfortunately will not.

Edited by Wamsley01

Have you rewatched it since? I have seen it on ESPN classic and it is a pretty boring 1-0 defensive game until

Babych scored with less than 5 minutes to go.

The Lemieux winner is a classic, but the whole game itself does not hold up.

Compare it to Game 3 in MSG a week later.

Bobby Smith scoring late to tie the game followed by Roy standing on his head and Lemieux roofing one of the Beezer

to essentially clinch a trip to the Cup final.

That game should be on there but unfortunately will not.

I haven't rewatched it, but I've replayed it in my head over and over again.

The problem here is that you have to understand the greatness of the game taking into consideration how crucial it was to that Cup run in 86'. Hartford had an amazing team, and was really giving us a hard time. This was the series which made me eternally hate Ray Ferraro and Kevin Dineen. Oh, and u could easily add Ulf Samuelson to that list. Think about it...it was the only time that the Habs had their backs against the wall during those playoffs.

Now, I fully agree with you about Game 3 in MSG. I've been trying to find that game online (or even some highlights) but I have not been successful. Had we lost that game to the Rangers, I think we would have lost the series. Roy stymied the Rangers, and almost singlehandedly (with some help from Lemieux) tore the Rangers a new one..

On a side note, I was lucky enough to be in the Forum during Game 5 of that series when Montreal won the Prince of Wales trophy... :)

Edited by Helmethead

How do you know which games are on the DVD, there isnt any details on the WB site (which sucks major balls) BTW Amazon seels it for just 41.99.

The Montreal vs Red Army New Years Eve tie is considered by many to be perhaps the best single hockey game in history. I dont see how it cant be on there...

And I agree with Wamsley (must be the goalie love) that game 3 at MSG (May 5th 1986, I remember the date!) was the best game of that playoffs and one of the best goalie performances I've ever seen. Cant believe its not on YouTube (the closest I could find is this:

)

Desjardins' hat-trick game in Game 2 of the 93 playoffs (the illegal stick) could also be on there.

Game 2 of the 93 Finals absolutely MUST be there. I don't understand why that game isn't more firmly entrenched in hockey lore, frankly. If it had been the Leafs, it'd be universally heralded as one of the most astonishing games in NHL history. The McSorely Stick should be an icon.

The 1976 Red Army game - which the Habs dominated, incidentally - is a no-brainer. If it's not there, then the compilation isn't worth a damn.

Game 7 against Boston in 1979 - the Lafleur goal - is also mandatory, if you ask me. We came within one blistering last-minute slapshot of NOT winning that 4th Cup. Scary how that dynasty had begun to unravel that year, how close they cam to losing.

There are other games that could be included more for historical significance than the actual on-ice events, e.g., the last game at the Forum, Koivu's first game back, etc..

Last season's 5-goal comeback against the Rangers might also be a dark horse candidate. Nothing was on the line, but it *was* the greatest comeback in team history... ^_^

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I haven't rewatched it, but I've replayed it in my head over and over again.

The problem here is that you have to understand the greatness of the game taking into consideration how crucial it was to that Cup run in 86'. Hartford had an amazing team, and was really giving us a hard time. This was the series which made me eternally hate Ray Ferraro and Kevin Dineen. Oh, and u could easily add Ulf Samuelson to that list. Think about it...it was the only time that the Habs had their backs against the wall during those playoffs.

Now, I fully agree with you about Game 3 in MSG. I've been trying to find that game online (or even some highlights) but I have not been successful. Had we lost that game to the Rangers, I think we would have lost the series. Roy stymied the Rangers, and almost singlehandedly (with some help from Lemieux) tore the Rangers a new one..

On a side note, I was lucky enough to be in the Forum during Game 5 of that series when Montreal won the Prince of Wales trophy... :)

I saw the game in 1986 and remember the tension of trying to hold onto the 1 goal lead after McPhee had scored on his breakaway.

I also remember the relief after Lemiuex scored. One of the greatest shifts I have ever seen by a forward, talk about determination.

It was a great game.

I have rewatched that game as well as Roy standing on his head in MSG and neither retain the impact. I remember Roy being incredible

in OT, but on second viewing was disappointed. Not that he was not incredible, but when you know the result the panic does not

resonate with every scramble.

The only game that still gets me emotionally EVERY TIME I see it is Desjardins game tying goal and OT winner.

It is the greatest game in terms of impact on me as a habs fan. From going from the depression of being down 2-0

in the Stanley Cup Final to renewed life to OT winner is essentially the perfect package. It is also why the Lafleur goal

against the Bruins is so famous.

I will always remember the call from Bob Cole "Here he is again, Scores............DESJARDINS!!!!!

I agree with Cucumber, if that was the Leafs coming back to win the Cup it would be talked about every season when

the playoffs began and the highlight would be on loop in April through June.

Edited by Wamsley01

The only game that still gets me emotionally EVERY TIME I see it is Desjardins game tying goal and OT winner.

It is the greatest game in terms of impact on me as a habs fan. From going from the depression of being down 2-0

in the Stanley Cup Final to renewed life to OT winner is essentially the perfect package. It is also why the Lafleur goal

against the Bruins is so famous.

I will always remember the call from Bob Cole "Here he is again, Scores............DESJARDINS!!!!!

I agree with Cucumber, if that was the Leafs coming back to win the Cup it would be talked about every season when

the playoffs began and the highlight would be on loop in April through June.

What irks me about that game is when it's talked about, they refer to the McSorley illegal stick, and how that came about. The context of the situation was so intense, however.... if that call doesn't go the Habs' way, that's it. That's the series. Coming back from 2-0 against Gretzky, with the Kings going home? Yikes.

And the fact that Desjardins got a hat trick... not often a d-man gets a hat trick in the NHL, let alone the SCF.

How do you know which games are on the DVD, there isnt any details on the WB site (which sucks major balls) BTW Amazon seels it for just 41.99.

All I know is the 15 that made the final cut. If it is not on this list, I don't think it will make the final set.

http://wwwrealitycheckeyesontheprize.blogs...es-on-habs.html

All I know is the 15 that made the final cut. If it is not on this list, I don't think it will make the final set.

The Game 3 in MSG isnt there, bummer...

Lot of recent games that dont really mean crap. 3-1 rally vs Boston, bleah. Saku Koivu game back from cancer? The game itself was nothing special. Guy Lafleur's first game in the Forum after coming back with the Rangers (and scoring 2 goals) was on par with that.

Also notice that no game predates 1960. You could put a whole lot of Rockets games in there. The 5 pts game vs Toronto for example... or his 50th goal in 50 games one...

Looking at that list, I don't see any major omissions. The ones I would exclude at all costs would be the Heritage Classic and the 2004 series win against Boston. I'd also omit the god-awful Cup-winning game in 1993 (great event, horrible hockey game), and possibly the 60th win in 1977, and the Good Friday massacre. The rest of these I have no objection to at all.

I'm a bit nervous that fan voting determined the result. Such voting tends to favour recent memories (e.g., the 2004 series win, the Heritage Classic) over the stuff that's truly historically significant - which is why a blithering no-account flake like Lady Di could be voted the third-greatest Briton of all time, over such trifling personalities as Shakespeare, Newton, and Darwin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Greatest_Britons

Hopefully Habs fans have more sense...

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Lot of recent games that dont really mean crap. 3-1 rally vs Boston, bleah. Saku Koivu game back from cancer? The game itself was nothing special. Guy Lafleur's first game in the Forum after coming back with the Rangers (and scoring 2 goals) was on par with that.

Also notice that no game predates 1960. You could put a whole lot of Rockets games in there. The 5 pts game vs Toronto for example... or his 50th goal in 50 games one...

Uh, Koivu's return was a vastly more meaningful event than the Flower's comeback. No offence, but the man almost died.

Yeah I dont like having games on there because of their significance. I want exciting games only WITH significance. Our history is rich enough to do that. Even the last game at the Forum, 4-1 win over Dallas? ho-hum...

If they want a game from 2002 and Koivu's comeback from cancer, go with Game 3 of the Bruins series, down 3-1 heading into the third, A couple of quick goals to tie it at 3 and then Koivu with a beauty to give us the lead.

Edited by Quebecois

Yeah I dont like having games on there because of their significance. I want exciting games only WITH significance. Our history is rich enough to do that. Even the last game at the Forum, 4-1 win over Dallas? ho-hum...

If they want a game from 2002 and Koivu's comeback from cancer, go with Game 3 of the Bruins series, down 3-1 heading into the third, A couple of quick goals to tie it at 3 and then Koivu with a beauty to give us the lead.

I agree. That goal blew the roof of the Molson Centre (at the time :lol: ).

The pregame ovation could have been added as an extra. The only thing of signifigance that happened in that

game was Rivet scoring and going straight to the bench to hug Koivu.

The Roy game in 1986 was a huge game for the franchise. It was the coming out moment for a Hall of Famer.

I am hoping that the extras package contains at least a clip package of the rest of the great games.

I agree with you Cucumber about the newer games getting attention because they are fresh in our memory,

but that 5-0 comeback last season was an amazing experience and for sheer thrills should be on there.

Preferably with the RDS feed.

Actually, I agree that the 5-goal comeback should be on there. ^_^ The greatest comeback in team history has a valid claim, and the game itself was just mind-boggling entertainment. Nuff said.

• 3 weeks later...

As posted on Habsinsideout.com

Thanks to the irrepressible Robert L for this list of games that will be in the DVD box set coming out in October – in plenty of time for Christmas shopping:

1960, April 24 - Canadiens beat the Toronto Maple Leafs to win their fifth consecutive Stanley Cup. This is the only disc in black-and-white.

1975, December 31 - The famous New Year's Eve 3-3 tie against the Central Red Army team.

1977, May 14 - Canadiens edge Boston 2-1 in overtime to claim their 20th Stanley Cup.

1979, May 10 - The 5-4 overtime, infamous "too many men on the ice game" against the Bruins. That was the one that produced the clip of a bemused Don Cherry saluting Forum fans.

1984, April 20 - The Good Friday game against the Nordiques, featuring wild brawling.

1986, May 24 - The clinching of the team's 23rd Cup against the Flames.

1993, June 9 - The most recent Cup against Gretzky's Kings.

1996, March 11 - The Forum's final game against the Dallas Stars.

2003, November 23 - The Heritage classic outdoor game at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton. Red Fisher still gripes about how cold it was.

2008, February 16 - Habs come back from a 5-0 deficit to beat the Rangers 6-5 in overtime.

I am shocked at the exclusion of Game 2 of the 93 finals and Game 7 vs the Whalers in 86.

The Heritage Classic? Really? Booooring

Edited by Wamsley01

[/i]

I am shocked at the exclusion of Game 2 of the 93 finals and Game 7 vs the Whalers in 86.

The Heritage Classic? Really? Booooring

I concur. If memory serves, the only thing noteworthy about that game was Theo's toque. Unless they package the old-timers game along with the disc, I'm gonna be disappointed.