Champions League

dinamo

Ha, you got one right with PSV Eindhoven - good job. :P

The Real-Juve game was a 50-50 bet ... Juve will always play 1-0, yesterday they lost 1-0. ;)

Man the Gunners match was sooooo frustrating ... such a good team and in the CL they never show their real talent ...

argh, without Campbell and Cole they had quite a lot of problems in the defence, hopefully Campbell will be back in 2 weeks.

Today's games:

FC Porto - Inter Mailand 0-3

FC Barcelono - Chelsea London 2-2

Manchester United - AC Milan 2-1

Werder Bremen - Olympique Lyon 1-1

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So guess what was on ESPN instead of one of the Champions League games last night....

Freaking ARM WRESTLING! Why did ESPN even bother buying the rights to Champions League games. Of the 8 games in 3 days, they are showing only one.

(I myself am not a big soccer fan, I'm just relaying the feelings of a friend who follows the CL.)

[Edited on 2-23-05 by Fanpuck33]

Ah, another bad day for my predictions ... :wall::P

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

So guess what was on ESPN instead of one of the Champions League games last night....

Freaking ARM WRESTLING! Why did ESPN even bother buying the rights to Champions League games. Of the 8 games in 3 days, they are showing only one.

(I myself am not a big soccer fan, I'm just relaying the feelings of a friend who follows the CL.)

[Edited on 2-23-05 by Fanpuck33]

*lol* Wrestling .... that can be only a US tv-station. They have the rights of the best soccer club tournament in the world and they don't show a game - that's ridicilous.

BTW. Do they show highlights or a delayed record of the game?

Not just wrestling, but ARM wrestling. Seriously, does anybody actually watch arm wrestling?

About the only time they show soccer highlights on Sportscenter is when there is an amazing play that makes the "Top 10 Plays of the Day"

You sit opposite each at a table, place your elbow on the table. Then you grip each other's hand and try to force the other person's hand to hit the table. The elbow on the table must stay on the table at all times.

Kids usually play for fun to see who the strongest is, I had no idea there were people getting paid for it.

Here's a clip I found on the internet:

http://www.proarm.com/video2/Bath_Brzenk.wmv

You sit opposite each at a table, place your elbow on the table. Then you grip each other's hand and try to force the other person's hand to hit the table. The elbow on the table must stay on the table at all times.

Kids usually play for fun to see who the strongest is, I had no idea there were people getting paid for it.

Here's a clip I found on the internet:

http://www.proarm.com/video2/Bath_Brzenk.wmv

Wow, that childish crap is on ESPN instead of the CL?! As I said before - simply ridicilous ... :wall:

I could understand if ESPN didn't show the CL, since it isn't North American centered and therefore will not have high ratings. But then why buy the rights and then not show it? At least let another network buy the rights and show it.

It is amazing that soccer isn't more popular in the US. Every kid plays it growing up.

I could understand if ESPN didn't show the CL, since it isn't North American centered and therefore will not have high ratings. But then why buy the rights and then not show it? At least let another network buy the rights and show it.

It is amazing that soccer isn't more popular in the US. Every kid plays it growing up.

Yes it's a pity that soccer isn't more popular in the US ... btw. though I'm a bit surprised that ESPN shows wrestling instead of the CL. They have one of the best soccer websites, with a great coverage from soccer all around the world, and then they don't show the best club tournament. Perhaps it's been shown on ESPN2 or something like that?

PS.: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/

[Edited on 26-2-05 by HABS Fan Nr.1]

Hmm beside the win of PSV and AZ it was not a good week for holland. We lost Ajax/Feyenoord(disgrace those fans!!) and Heerenveen(they realy put up a good fight with Newcastle).

Man U, millions the are spending on players. WHY NOT BUYING A GOOD GOALKEEPER. what a noob, the guy is a joke! Seen it Habs Fan nr1?

Originally posted by Dutch_Habs_Fan

Hmm beside the win of PSV and AZ it was not a good week for holland. We lost Ajax/Feyenoord(disgrace those fans!!) and Heerenveen(they realy put up a good fight with Newcastle).

Man U, millions the are spending on players. WHY NOT BUYING A GOOD GOALKEEPER. what a noob, the guy is a joke! Seen it Habs Fan nr1?

Yes, I've said the same as Carroll made that mistake - they should finally spend some money on a good goalie. Only Chelsea has a very good goalie with Czech but the other English CL clubs all have floaters in goal. Argh ... :lol:

The AJ-Ajax game was also sweet ... their fans are simply horrible, lots of racists. They have chanted the whole game against Kalou ... then he scored a goal and Auxerre won the game - great answer to such idiots.

Normally you don't hear them at all. Ajaxaudience, it's a saying, and not very positive when they call you that. They only sing when they are leading.

(they have a lot of players with african origin, so i don't know why they were chanting against Kalou. I don't think it was a racial thing, he played for FEyenoord, there biggest rivals!)

Normally you don't hear them at all. Ajaxaudience, it's a saying, and not very positive when they call you that. They only sing when they are leading.

(they have a lot of players with african origin, so i don't know why they were chanting against Kalou. I don't think it was a racial thing, he played for FEyenoord, there biggest rivals!)

At the first game in Ajax they even throw lots of bananas at him, chanting all the time against him.

Of course Ajax also has lots of African players, but it's the same as everywhere. As long as the Africans are playing for your team, the world is ok - but if there's one from the other team, the racists are coming up. Very sad ... :eyes:

As far as I know, Kalou's brother is playing with Rotterdam.

[Edited on 27-2-05 by HABS Fan Nr.1]

Bonaventure Kalou was with with Rotterdam before he joined Auxerre. Now only his brother plays there, and he's even a bigger talent!

Wow, even better than Bonaventure - he must be a little Zidane. *fg*

BTW. AJ Auxerre won yesterday 3-2 vs. PSG and Kalou again scored a nice header. They're quite a good team at home and if they continue their strong game, I wouldn't be surprised if they can reach the UEFA Cup final this year.

Ah my, the Gunners 1-0 win wasn't enough to beat Bayern. They have such good players but they never show their real potential in the CL. Besides that, they really should look for a new goalie.

Here are the rest of the scores from the games on Tuesday/Wednesday:

Chelsea - Barcelona 4:2

AC Milan - ManU 1:0

Lyon - Werder Bremen 7:2

Juve - Real 2:0

Bayer - Liverpool 1:3

Monaco - PSV 0:2

Great that Juve kicked out Real ... they spent lots of money for nothing - won't win anything in Spain and in Europe this year. :clap::P

The Chelsea game was also great ... 3-0 after 20 minutes, then Ronaldinho scored 2 goals before halftime but Terry finally made a nice header to win it for the Blues. :/)

Werder got trashed by Lyon - nice to see the Krauts lose like that. *fg*

I watched FC Milan-Manchester United. Milan won the game 1-0 after a wonderful header from Crespo. Tim Howard (is his name Tim? I'm always uncertain what his first name is) was in goal for United, but I have to say that even if ManU lost, Howard wasn't bad. There was nothing he could do on the goal. Milan was clearly the better team and United really only created one good scoring chance throughout the whole game; Giggs hit the goal-post after a quick counter attack by United. Milan won both games 1-0 and deserves to be through to the quarterfinals IMO.

It was a pretty boring game last night though. Felt like key players on the United roster are past their prime (Keane, Scholes to name the most important ones). Rooney was invisible all night and so was Van Nistelrooy. Meanwhile, Milan had to make do without Shevshenko (sp?). I was most impressed with Milan's defense, which says something about the game. Paolo Maldini has still "got it". IMO he is still the big cahuna in Milan. Nesta was good too and Jaap Stam even showed rarely seen offensive skills with a very nice 60-yard pass to Crespo (think it was Crespo). Cafu was also good on his right flank. But like I said, it was a boring game. I had hoped for a lot more.

Lyon on the other hand totally annihilated Werder Bremen, winning the game 7-2, 10-2 combining both games' results. Sylvain Wiltord scored a hat trick. Lyon has scored 27 goals in 8 Champions League games this season

Also, the Juventus-Real Madrid game was marvelous!

Zlatan was probably the best forward in the game. I can only think of one single scoring chance for Juve that he was not directly involved in (which was BTW the winning goal scored by Zalayeta in the second overtime quarter). He played a few tricks on Gravesen. Still Gravesen was very good IMO. He was very accurate in his passing game. Impressive!

In retrospect Madrid came out playing a little bit too defensively - they won the first game 1-0 so thay had that to build on. In the end, maybe that came back to bite them in the as$. They had good controll of things until Juventus scored the 1-0 goal (a bicycle shot by that French guy, uhm, what's his name... eh... blackout, sorry Trezeguet!), but since the goal was scored so late in the game (relatively late - 75th minute), I think it was difficult for them to get back on top and go on the offensive. At that time Juventus sort of got the initiative. The final score of 2-0 after extra time was a fair result if you ask me. Juventus deserved the win. Not that Real Madrid didn't play well, it's just that I think their overly defensive strategy cost them too much. But it was a very entertaining game. Much more entertaining than the Milan-ManU game.

I watched the Chelsea-Barca game, and it is the game of the season so far. WHat a match, everything in it, only sad that chelsea won! Don't like Mourinho!

i also think it's great Real is out! PSV Eindhoven is still in, so we have a dutch team in the quarter finals, finally again!

WHat a match, everything in it, only sad that chelsea won! Don't like Mourinho!  
Yeah, me neither. I think he's a real jackass.

Perhaps as you know our best friend Anders "Sissi" Frisk retired this week because of death threats. Man how I like that news that this blind ref won't be on the soccer grounds anymore.

Anyways, now all the refs blame Maurinho for that because of the Barcelona-Chelsea incident (Barcelona coach Rijkaard talked to ref Frisk during the halftime break - wtf. is this guy talking to him? "Hey your new mercedes is waiting in front of the Nou Camp buddy."). If Frisk would be in his locker room and not talking to Rijkaard, nothing would have been happen - your mistake Frisk!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?...=327623&cc=5739

Originally posted by Doktor Kosmos

You think Mourinho ius cool? Oh man... :wall:  

With cool I don't meant that I really like this guy ... Maurinho knows what he's doing, he knows when he has to be arrogant. Just look at the Barcelona game ... all the Barcelona players, fans, etc got crazy when he said all those things about them. Then of course the Spanish press wrote lot's of ugly things about Maurinho and Chelsea and that's what Chelsea "needed". They were so pushed and you really saw it in that last game. The only losers in this case are Barcelona and especially Ronaldinho ... how he acted after the game, characterless! I don't really like the Blues and Maurinho but after this series I even more dislike Barcelona. ;)

[Edited on 13-3-05 by HABS Fan Nr.1]

Oh, OK, I see your point. But I don't know what Ronaldinho has said and done, so I can't comment on that. I heard though that Eto'o was insulted by arena staff and that UEFA has started an investigation.

This is what Frisk himself had to say about the incident in Barcelona:

From an interview in Aftonbladet

Quote:

Och hoten kommer från England och av engelska supportrar?

– Låt mig säga så här; Chelsea har supportrar även i andra delar av världen, så det har inte bara varit från England.

Free translation:

Q: And the threats come from England and English fans?

A: Let me put it this way; Chelsea also has fans from other parts of the world, so it hasn't been only from England.

More from the interview:

Quote:

Hur ser du idag tillbaka på det som hände i Barcelona?

– När jag åkte därifrån förstod jag inte vidden av det som hänt. Att en korrekt andra varning som ledde till en utvisning skulle få såna konsekvenser, att ett vänligt handslag med en hemmatränare upprörde så mycket. Jag hälsade ju även på José Mourinho, men före matchen. Jag är är uppfostrad att vara artig och när någon som jag även träffat som spelare hälsar på mig för första gången under en match så besvarar jag handslaget. Men det finns tydligen inte plats för sån artighet.

– Jag blev dessutom anklagad för att ha släppt in hemmatränaren i omklädningsrummet. Jag är så erfaren att alla borde förstå att jag aldrig släpper in en tränare i mitt rum under en match. Det känns väldigt tråkigt att ha anklagats för det, efter så många år i den internationella fotbollen.

– Jag hävdar fortfarande att det jag gjorde i Barcelona var korrekt, men jag kunde inte i mina vildaste fantasier förstå vad det skulle leda till.

Q: Looking back, what do you think about what happened in Barcelona?

A: When I left I didn't understand the extent of what had transpired. That a correct second yellow card that led to a red card would have such consequences, that a friendly handshake with the coach of the home team would stir up such strong emotions. I said "Hello" to José Mourinho too, but before the game. I was raised to be polite and when someone, who I have also met before as a player, says hello to me for the first time during a game, I return the gesture. But evidently, there is no room for such courtesy.

A: Furthermore, I was accused of letting the coach of the home team into the locker room. I am so experienced that everyone should understand that I would never let a coach into my room during a game. It makes me sad to be accused of that, after so many years in international soccer.

A: I still maintain that what I did in Barcelona was correct, but never could I imagine in my wildest dreams what it would lead to.

Personally I think Mourinho is an idiot. This only makes me hate him even more. He has been involved in quite a lot of controversial incidents this season. Only a Russian mobster would hire such an idiot to coach his team. I don't care how good a coach you are or how impressive your resumé may be, there is no excuse for the behaviour Mourinho has displayed.

Maybe it's time Abramovich took action against these extremist elements that are associated with his team, who call themselves fans of his team. What responsabilities does Abramovich have in all of this?

Furthermore, I'm shocked! I have always held Frisk in the highest regard. Sure, he's just a human being and makes mistakes too from time to time, but I think he has always been a great PR man for Swedish soccer in general and referees in particular.

[Edited on 2005/3/13 by Doktor Kosmos]