The Official NFL Thread

jetsniper

Press conference today in NYC. your wish will become reality !!

:o, seriously? I haven't even checked any Jets news today or yesterday.

Oh, I just went to TSN and saw "Mangini out as Jets coach"

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Edit: Also want to say I hope we get Cowher instead of the Browns.

Edited by jetsniper

Dolphins - check.

Steelers - check.

San Diego - check.

Chicago - uncheck.

Beware the Colts. Manning is finally really healthy and they're undefeated in nine, I think.

He's already spoken to Browns management and said he has no intention of coaching in 2009. I'll lose my respect for him if he then signs elsewhere.

A lot can happen in the next 6-7 months but the Jets are definitely going to give it a shot. Him and Spagnuolo are at the top of the list. I've read a few articles that have said the only team that Cowher will come out of retirement for is the Jets. Parcells name is being batted around as well.

Newsday is reporting Sutton and Schottenheimer have been fired as well. Any Jets article right now is about Cowher and if the coordinators have actually been fired (haven't seen word anywhere else) then it's probably another ploy to lure him in. Hire Bill Cowher and allow him total control of the team.

The problem with the Cowher to the Jets rumour is that he is going to want full control. There is no way that he agrees to go to NY and hand over personnel decision making authority to Tannenbaum. The rumours that Ive heard are thet Tannenbaum has tried (successfully in the past) to dissuade the owner (woody johnston?) to move away from any potential hires that would threaten his territory and hold over the team.

I just cant see Cowher moving to a team unless he can get it and I dont think the Jets are that scenario. On the flip side if Ralph Wilson cleans house like I hope he will then brining in Cowher to run the whole show in Buffalo might make sense. Cowher is an old school, smash mouth football type of guy which would fit in great in Buffalo.

Spags however would be a great hire for the Jets. Hes familiar with NY, respected in the city, plus it never hurts to steal some thunder from the cross town rivals.

Better luck next time Noah, Buffalo signed Jauron to a one year extension.

As for your other concerns, Cowher is going to meet with the Jets about the coaching vacancy and they are willing to give him full control. It's an obvious requirement but one I don't think the team would have a problem with. I'm not sure what rumors you heard but Mangini was hired before Tannenbaum was promoted to GM (mind you, it was at Tannenbaum's insistence they hire Mangina) but from there let him pick up his own staff.

Theres a good article on the Post's website saying Tannenbaum is willing to suck it up for the sake of the team and let go of some of his duties if it means we get to hire Bill Cowher, I'll find it.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12302008/sport...talk_146540.htm

The tone I'm getting is that the Jets are willing to do anything to accommodate Cowher. He has a daughter that lives in New York and another that goes to Princeton so family wise, the Jets are a good fit as well. He'd be in New York all the time anyway working for CBS.

Also, Denver fired Mike Shanahan today after 14 seasons with the team. Another guy I'd look at along with Spagnuolo if Cowher really doesn't want to coach in 2009.

Also, Denver fired Mike Shanahan today after 14 seasons with the team. Another guy I'd look at along with Spagnuolo if Cowher really doesn't want to coach in 2009.

I don't know how to feel, Shanahan is the only coach I have known since I've been a Broncos fan. I am tired of the inconsistency and playing down to the opponents the Broncos have been famous for. I wonder if Jeremy Bates will get consideration. I am obviously hoping for Cowher or Schottenheimer.

yah definitely looks like Cowher will wait until next year. When he left the Steelers he apparently told his family he wouldn't take a new job until his youngest daughter was done high school. She is a year away from finishing now, so come next offseason he'll be ready to get back to work.

I'm pissed that we're stuck with another year of Jauron. I just can't stand his conservative approach to the game, very clearly the wrong fit in buffalo. I can only hope that after next year the team will smarten up and make a run at cowher themselves.

yah definitely looks like Cowher will wait until next year. When he left the Steelers he apparently told his family he wouldn't take a new job until his youngest daughter was done high school. She is a year away from finishing now, so come next offseason he'll be ready to get back to work.

I'm pissed that we're stuck with another year of Jauron. I just can't stand his conservative approach to the game, very clearly the wrong fit in buffalo. I can only hope that after next year the team will smarten up and make a run at cowher themselves.

Think of it this way: if they had fired Jauron and hired a new guy, they'd be more unlikely to go after Cowher after next season. ;)

Cardinals, Chargers, Ravens, and Eagles move on to the next round.

I'm starting to like the Cards more and more over the years, likely because I've had a prominent offensive player on my fantasy team over the last 3 or 4 seasons. Being a CFL fan, I can appreciate the all out aerial attack that their offence poses.

I must say I'm the most surprised with SD beating Indy - with the Colts on a roll and LT going down early, home field or not, that's still an upset in my books.

Cardinals, Chargers, Ravens, and Eagles move on to the next round.

I'm starting to like the Cards more and more over the years, likely because I've had a prominent offensive player on my fantasy team over the last 3 or 4 seasons. Being a CFL fan, I can appreciate the all out aerial attack that their offence poses.

I must say I'm the most surprised with SD beating Indy - with the Colts on a roll and LT going down early, home field or not, that's still an upset in my books.

Go Chargers!

Shame about the 'Phins, though. Great turnaround season, however.

Yeah, Eagles baby! That was a sweet game, especially Westbrook's TD. He's so elusive, it's a treat to watch.

The Jets failed me horribly this season but my other two teams have got playoff games next week and I think they'll both win. A nice Eagles/Panthers NFC final where I don't have to worry about who wins.

Glad Baltimore kicked the Dolphins around too, they could slide into the Super Bowl with that D alone. I'm still not a believer in the Titans either, see if they can prove me wrong next week.

Yeah, Eagles baby! That was a sweet game, especially Westbrook's TD. He's so elusive, it's a treat to watch.

The Jets failed me horribly this season but my other two teams have got playoff games next week and I think they'll both win. A nice Eagles/Panthers NFC final where I don't have to worry about who wins.

Glad Baltimore kicked the Dolphins around too, they could slide into the Super Bowl with that D alone. I'm still not a believer in the Titans either, see if they can prove me wrong next week.

Gotta love Westbrook. If he could ever stay healthy he could prove to be one of the NHL's best backs.

May a deranged Dolphin find its way into your Corn Flakes.

And finally... I haven't commented on this much before because I tried so hard to gloss over it considering who you were, but I can't keep this down anymore. I am so very deeply disappointed in you being a Jets fan. First, it's New York, and they should be anathema to any real sporting fan. Secondly, they're the Jets and the ONLY time they should ever be interesting is when they're playing a Marino-led Fish team - and Marino takes the game 58-52 in a last-minute drive.

I urge you deeply to find another team and ditch the Jets, Sniper.

Gotta love Westbrook. If he could ever stay healthy he could prove to be one of the NHL's best backs.

I might take your comments seriously Colin if stuff like this didn't prove you're just a crazy old man.

I can just picture you yesterday grasping onto your cane, yelling at your nurse with the TV on.

"I like running on ice! Is this hockey? Wheres my meatloaf!? Rainbows are pretty. Back in 1920, I hit a golf ball! I need a nap"

*sigh*

I might take your comments seriously Colin if stuff like this didn't prove you're just a crazy old man.

I can just picture you yesterday grasping onto your cane, yelling at your nurse with the TV on.

"I like running on ice! Is this hockey? Wheres my meatloaf!? Rainbows are pretty. Back in 1920, I hit a golf ball! I need a nap"

*sigh*

Don't make me put my teeth in at you.

*sigh*

By the way, I think I'm old enough to be your father. Show your elders some respect. Mail me a few PS3 games. That'll cover it.

By the way, I think I'm old enough to be your father. Show your elders some respect. Mail me a few PS3 games. That'll cover it.

Haha, I think you're only a little older then my sister. I don't think you want any PS3 games I have, right now it's only Prince of Persia, Resistance 2 and NHL 09.

Which one did you pick up btw?