The Official NFL Thread

jetsniper

Haha, I think you're only a little older then my sister. I don't think you want any PS3 games I have, right now it's only Prince of Persia, Resistance 2 and NHL 09.

Which one did you pick up btw?

How old is your sister. And is she hot. :P

Haven't picked up a game yet, I've been doing research on a bunch. Resistance 2 is one that I'm considering, however. I think, though, I might go with one of the two highest rated games that I've found: MGS4 (yes, even though I haven't played the others) or GTAIV.

But then again, I won't get anywhere near an EB until the weekend, so I could change my mind before then. Also on my shortlist are (in no specific order): Deadspace, Bioshock 2, Valkyria Chronicles, Call of Duty WaW, Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Elder Scrolls 4, and of course Formula 1 - but I think I'll wait until the new one comes out. From what I understand, the company that took over production of the F1 game is particularly good and should release a stunning product. And if I don't like it, I'll just buy the old one when the price drops. I'll vaguely consider NHL09, but only because my brother-in-law has it and wants to play online with me. I'm not really into that, but it's good family bonding I guess.

How old is your sister. And is she hot. :P

She's 30, happily married and has a 9 month old baby girl. :P

And now I'll just pick out all the games you mentioned (this should probably get moved to the PS3 thread, if anyone has that power)

Resistance 2 - I was going to suggest this but you said no FPS. I got it for Christmas though and it was a lot of fun. I beat solo on New Year's but my PS3 isn't hooked up to the net so I haven't played multi yet but apparently it's very good as well.

MGS4 - No no no no no. Half of the game is cutscenes with storytelling where you absolutely must know what went on in the other 3 games. Some are as long as 20-30 minutes, theres a reason people refer to it as an interactive movie. Despite the high scores, you'll regret buying this game until you play 1-3. No no no. Bad Colin, bad.

GTAIV - Eh. It was certainly fun but it got old pretty quickly. Probably the most overrated game of 2008 though with all the perfect scores it got. It didn't even make my year end top 10 list.

Deadspace - This was a hell of a game. I can't decide what the best new IP was, Dead Space or LittleBigPlanet but Dead Space was really awesome. Solid choice.

Bioshock 2 - lol, 2 comes out this year, it's just a port of the 360 version. I forgot it was out on the PS3 though, also a very good choice. One of the best games from 2007 and some of the best story telling I've ever seen in a game.

Valkyria Chronicles - Still on my to buy list but I have heard very, very good things about it. I got a gift certificate for EB from my sister, I can't decide between Valkyria or Chrono Trigger on the DS.

Call of Duty WaW - Man, this game was really dissapointing. Mostly because it went back to Treyarch instead of Infinity Ward who made the INFINITELY better Call of Duty 4. If you want a CoD game, get 4, it's the best in the series. Infinity Ward is back too making a sequel to 4, due out this year. Can't wait to see what they do with it, Call of Duty 4 was awesome.

Fallout 3 - Another good choice. I certainly didn't think it was as good as some of the critics out there since it's getting most of the GOTY awards. It was the best game on the 360 for sure but the PS3 had some exclusives which I thought were better. I think it's still in my top 5 for '08 so you're still not going wrong here.

Far Cry 2 - NOOOOOOOOOO...This game got great reviews and no one can figure out why. The FPS enthusiasts hate it, it has to be one of the most boring FPS's ever made. A jeep driving simulator is more like it. Far Cry 2 was AWFUL, I hated it.

Elder Scrolls 4 - A really good game but the PS3 is probably the least ideal console to get it on since it's got really bad framerate issues and you get jaggies like...a lot. If your PC can handle it and you really want to play it, go that route.

She's 30, happily married and has a 9 month old baby girl. :P

And now I'll just pick out all the games you mentioned (this should probably get moved to the PS3 thread, if anyone has that power)

Can someone with super special powers move this last bit into the PS3 thread? Pretty please with a puck-moving defenseman on top?

So we see 3 road upsets this week, as the Steelers are the only home team to move on.

Eagles/Cardinals

Ravens/Steelers

In the NFC, I'd love to see the Cards keep up the winning, as for the AFC...2 heavy defences...go Ravens just since they have a rookie QB.

what an unpredictable playoffs thus far. Who'd have thought that 3 out of 4 teams left would be seeded 4 and lower. The NFC champion will be a team that only won 9 games this season. Hell Arizona only beat 3 teams outside of their own division.

It certainly is exciting although you hate to have the regular season appear to be so meaningless in determining the winner. How about that number one seed, seems to be more of a curse than a blessing.

I'm thinking we should expect to see a battle of Pennsylvania for the Superbowl as the Steelers and Eagles should win next week.

reports are pretty heavy right now that the Jets are willing to wait it out to hire Rex Ryan to be their new head coach. This is probably one of the choices that scares me the most (minus the big names, cowher, holmgren, shanahan). Ryan has run arguably one of the best defences of all time in Baltimore over the last decade or so. He runs a 3-4 which the Jets are already set up for, and is a hot commodity with the Ravens exceeding expectations this year (based mostly on the staunch defensive team play).

I'm still hoping that they shit the bed and hire someone like Brian Schottenheimer or Jeff Jagodzinski.

Meanwhile, Denver's hiring of Josh McDaniels can only weaken the Patriots who will need a new offensive coordinator and QB coach and are also likely to lose defensive assistant and coaching veteran Dom Capers. Should be interesting if McDaniels can have more success than past Belichek deciples Crennel, Mangini and Weis.

Yeah, I saw the Ravens gave us permission to talk to Ryan a while back. I like the Ravens so I don't want them to lose but no news is good news. Technically we can hire Spags now but I'd rather wait for Rex Ryan. I told my dad yesterday if I was a QB going up against the Ravens D, I'd crap my pants. They take no prisoners. Suggs, Reed, Lewis....lot of fun to watch.

Well, any Super Bowl that contains the Arizona Cardinals is the stupidest Super Bowl ever.

It's like I'm living in crazy bizarro world. Go Pittsburgh/Baltimore.

Go Pit. Superbowl in reach. Gotta love that the Cards are there, though. Kurt Warner, baby. LOVE IT.

I'm too lazy to look it up: what's encroachment in football?

When a player makes contact with another player in the neutral zone before the ball is snapped.

I thought it was just a defensive penalty so I looked it up and the NFL's website apparently says no.

When a player makes contact with another player in the neutral zone before the ball is snapped.

I thought it was just a defensive penalty so I looked it up and the NFL's website apparently says no.

yeah, weird. How an encroachement from a OL cannot be considered a false start ??

yeah, weird. How an encroachement from a OL cannot be considered a false start ??

Yeah, I know. I guess if a receiver moves and touches a CB? Could've sworn it was only a defensive penalty but I guess not.

Anyway, the Jets hired Rex Ryan as their new head coach yesterday so I'm really excited to see what he does. With the recent comments from Julius Peppers, I'm wondering if he wants to join Jenkins in New York.

The Dolphins also signed CFL sackmaster Cam Wake to the largest contract ever given to a CFL player from an NFL team. I forget the exact specs but I do remember someone saying it's larger then the entire cap for one team in the CFL.

Also my dad and I are wondering when exactly the real Super Bowl is going to start after Pittsburgh and Arizona stop their flag football game. I'm excited to find out who actually made it. :wacko:

Edited by jetsniper

Anyway, the Jets hired Rex Ryan ...

...Also my dad and I are wondering when exactly the real Super Bowl is going to start after Pittsburgh and Arizona stop their flag football game. I'm excited to find out who actually made it. :wacko:

Rex Ryan? Really? Is that a Superman villain?

And what do you mean by flag football? That's a curious comment.

Rex Ryan? Really? Is that a Superman villain?

And what do you mean by flag football? That's a curious comment.

Well you can't tell me the Arizona Cardinals are going to play in the ACTUAL Super Bowl, are they? I mean, it's just like a pre-game thing, right? Or is the NFL playing a massive practical joke on everyone?

(Psst...I'm making fun of Arizona)

Well you can't tell me the Arizona Cardinals are going to play in the ACTUAL Super Bowl, are they? I mean, it's just like a pre-game thing, right? Or is the NFL playing a massive practical joke on everyone?

(Psst...I'm making fun of Arizona)

But they have Kurt Warner whose previous job was stuffing groceries! That alone should make this Stupor Bowl remotely interesting - and that's before you even get to the Steelers.

But they have Kurt Warner whose previous job was stuffing groceries! That alone should make this Stupor Bowl remotely interesting - and that's before you even get to the Steelers.

I'm more excited for the Transformers 2 trailer and the episode of The Office on right after it.

I'm more excited for the Transformers 2 trailer and the episode of The Office on right after it.

Well, then I guess I won't fly you here to Ottawa to watch the game on a massive high def screen, feed you everything under the sun, and open the best bar you can imagine. To say nothing of the dancing girls. Anyone else interested?