The Official NFL Thread

jetsniper

Apparently he had a good meeting with the Vikes though so I'm not ruling it out yet.

Yeah, I guess he left with a Vikings jersey.

I bet he wants to see if theres still a starting gig out there for him before resigning himself as a back-up though. Hard to say if he'd get more time in New York then in Minnesota when Shonn Greene will probably have an expanded role after his incredible run in the playoffs. Then of course theres Leon, if we can get him under contract.

I knew things weren't getting off to a good start with Holmgren when he decided to keep Mangini as the coach. I started getting more worried when they traded for Holmgren's boy Seneca Wallace. The final nail in the coffin comes with signing Jake Delhomme. Seriously, who in their right mind thinks it's a better idea to bring in a washed up veteran (who just got ran out of Carolina less than a year after signing a huge extension) than to actually give Quinn a full season to show if he's got what it takes? How do you judge a guy on fewer than 16 starts?

Mangini had it out for Quinn since the beginning and set him up to fail. He acts like a tool and waits until the day before the season to name the starter. They started the season against the Vikings (very strong D), the Broncos (their D played great early in the season), and Baltimore (another stout D). After just 6 quarters against those strong defenses, he gets blamed for the lack of offense (not the lack of viable targets or the awful play calling). Anderson comes out and performs FAR worse than Quinn and throws 3 picks in a half. And what do those picks earn Anderson? Despite this performance that was so much worse than Quinn, Anderson is given the next start and it takes four HORRIBLE starts to convince him to finally go back to Quinn. I had hoped next season would make up for this terrible mismanagement, but that obviously won't be the case.

I knew things weren't getting off to a good start with Holmgren when he decided to keep Mangini as the coach. I started getting more worried when they traded for Holmgren's boy Seneca Wallace. The final nail in the coffin comes with signing Jake Delhomme. Seriously, who in their right mind thinks it's a better idea to bring in a washed up veteran (who just got ran out of Carolina less than a year after signing a huge extension) than to actually give Quinn a full season to show if he's got what it takes? How do you judge a guy on fewer than 16 starts?

Mangini had it out for Quinn since the beginning and set him up to fail. He acts like a tool and waits until the day before the season to name the starter. They started the season against the Vikings (very strong D), the Broncos (their D played great early in the season), and Baltimore (another stout D). After just 6 quarters against those strong defenses, he gets blamed for the lack of offense (not the lack of viable targets or the awful play calling). Anderson comes out and performs FAR worse than Quinn and throws 3 picks in a half. And what do those picks earn Anderson? Despite this performance that was so much worse than Quinn, Anderson is given the next start and it takes four HORRIBLE starts to convince him to finally go back to Quinn. I had hoped next season would make up for this terrible mismanagement, but that obviously won't be the case.

Yeah it really bites for Quinn. I really liked him coming out of college and I think he can be a great game-manager QB but won't get the chance. It looks like he'll end up being traded or released with the way it's going now.

Yeah it really bites for Quinn. I really liked him coming out of college and I think he can be a great game-manager QB but won't get the chance. It looks like he'll end up being traded or released with the way it's going now.

Well, I guess you're happy now, haha.

Quinn reportedly traded to the Broncos for Peyton Hills, a 2011 6th round pick and a conditional pick in 2012.

Conflicting reports on Tomlinson. Some say he hasn't made his mind up, others saying it's pretty much a done deal that he goes to the Jets. Meanwhile the Jets put a full page ad in a Kansas City paper thanking Thomas Jones for his service, I thought that was classy.

Well, I guess you're happy now, haha.

Quinn reportedly traded to the Broncos for Peyton Hills, a 2011 6th round pick and a conditional pick in 2012.

Conflicting reports on Tomlinson. Some say he hasn't made his mind up, others saying it's pretty much a done deal that he goes to the Jets. Meanwhile the Jets put a full page ad in a Kansas City paper thanking Thomas Jones for his service, I thought that was classy.

Oh wow yes I am pretty happy. Going to be an interesting training camp battle between Kyle Orton, Tom Brandstater and Brady Quinn. What I really am looking forward to is McDaniels is known for coaching up QB's. And Quinn played a similar system in college. I really am excited about this. Peyton Hillis sucks to lose was one of my favourites that got into McDaniels doghouse early on and wasn't let out all season.

Jets agreed to terms with RB LaDainian Tomlinson on a two-year contract.

Tomlinson, 31 in June, does give the Jets another option at the goal line, but his addition is probably more of a threat to Leon Washington's 2010 fantasy outlook than Shonn Greene's. Greene is clearly the team's new go-to back, while Washington may now be primarily counted on to return kicks as opposed to change-of-pace and third-down duties as he comes off a compound leg fracture. LT obviously doesn't have much left, but he could perhaps still offer some value on 8-10 touches per game off the bench.

There you go Jets.

Woohoo!

Shonn Greene, Ladanian Tomlinson and hopefully Leon Washington. I like. Our O-Line is 10x better then the one in San Diego, I'm not worried about LT's drop in production.

It's a nice signing, but in what way are you not worried about his drop in production? He is on a steep decline regardless of the oline differences, it is simply what RBs do when they reach 30 years old, particularly if they have been a number 1 back for most of their careers.

This is Greene's backfield IMO, LT will probably get 10 touches or less on most weeks, hopefully for the Jets he can make the most of them.

It's a nice signing, but in what way are you not worried about his drop in production? He is on a steep decline regardless of the oline differences, it is simply what RBs do when they reach 30 years old, particularly if they have been a number 1 back for most of their careers.

This is Greene's backfield IMO, LT will probably get 10 touches or less on most weeks, hopefully for the Jets he can make the most of them.

You're mistaking what I'm saying, of course it's Greene's team. Leon will be higher on the depth chart too if we re-sign him. If we wanted another guy to run the ball, we would've just re-signed Jones. Tomlinson is coming in for his pass catching abilities, we basically added another receiver.

10 touches or less is pushing it though. We're a rushing by committee team, touches will be spread fairly evenly. Tomlinson won't be riding the bench a lot. Not when our Offensive Coordinator is the reason he's here.

Oh and I just remembered LT hates the Pats. Hopefully he can stir the pot with them. :lol:

*electric slides out of topic*

Edited by jetsniper

Go Broncos! Well, only if Quinn starts. If Orton is the starter, I'm rooting against them till they put Quinn in!

My best guess is Brady Quinn has the playbook in his hand at this very second trying to learn our new complicated playbook. I've heard he is a hard worker so I don't doubt he'll be deep in the playbook and giving it his all in OTA and TC. I think Orton played well enough to start this season barring a complete colapse or Quinn dominating in camp. Broncos fans are very excited about this in general but not many expect him to be the starter week 1. We're all just hoping McDaniels can help Quinn reach his potential and become a very good starter in the NFL.

LT signing with the Jets is interesting. Granted I hate them, but I just dont see what LT brings that they didn't already have in Thomas Jones. Not to mention that Jones has way less wear on his body than LT does.

Bills have Dwan Edwards and Andra Davis in buffalo today, hopefully we can look these two guys up. Two experienced vets who have played in the 3-4 are key in making the defensive transition.

LT signing with the Jets is interesting. Granted I hate them, but I just dont see what LT brings that they didn't already have in Thomas Jones. Not to mention that Jones has way less wear on his body than LT does.

Bills have Dwan Edwards and Andra Davis in buffalo today, hopefully we can look these two guys up. Two experienced vets who have played in the 3-4 are key in making the defensive transition.

Tomlinson and Jones aren't even the same kind of running back. LT has exceptional pass-catching and route running skills whereas Thomas Jones is just a power runner. Two different dynamics. We've got a better Thomas Jones in Shonn Greene so no point in keeping TJ.

Greene is the starter so wear and tear doesn't matter.

I still wonder why LT chose the Jets over the Vikings. Seems like he'd have a much better chance to make an impact in Minny, unless the Jets told him they weren't going to be keeping Washington.

I think it was Brian Schottenheimer, he was the QB coach in San Diego for a few years (02-05 I think). LT might've just preferred the familiarity.

Although Washington sticking around doesn't seem likely because Alvin Keels is a dick.

From what I read LT didn't want to sign with the Vikings because of the uncertainty at quarterback. Favre wouldn't commit to him that he was coming back or not, and he didn't want to end up on a team with Tarvaris Jackson as its starting QB.

I'm not saying that LT is a bad fit with the Jets, I just think TJ could've filled the same role. You also have to wonder where they're going to be fining enough carries for their starter (Greene), their backup (LT) and their change of pace guy (Washington).

I wonder if the Jets would let washington walk if he were to get signed to an offer sheet and just take the 2nd rounder.

Also Bills signed Andra Davis today which makes me very happy. Very underrated inside linebacker in the 3-4 and solid against the run. Buffalo's run defence has been putrid the last few years so hopefully this is a step in the right direction.

It was pretty much the exact reason I said

“I had two places that wanted me and I think the major decision it came down to was playing in a new offense or playing in an offense I already know with Brian Schottenheimer … it was pretty tough but when it comes down to it you’ve got to go with your gut and go with what you feel,” Tomlinson said.

I know you're not saying he's a bad fit but TJ couldn't fill the same role. TJ is a one-dimensional power runner, Tomlinson is far more versatile in the passing game. He opens up more options for Sanchez since it's well known our receiving depth is weak, Jones couldn't do that. Tomlinson has basically double Jones' career receiving stats.This wasn't a signing that had the running game in mind (although it doesn't hurt there either).

Speaking of which, Tony Richardson was re-signed today. The guy is getting up there but is still one of the best blocking FBs in the league. I thought he did a great job last season.

From what I read LT didn't want to sign with the Vikings because of the uncertainty at quarterback. Favre wouldn't commit to him that he was coming back or not, and he didn't want to end up on a team with Tarvaris Jackson as its starting QB.

I'm not saying that LT is a bad fit with the Jets, I just think TJ could've filled the same role. You also have to wonder where they're going to be fining enough carries for their starter (Greene), their backup (LT) and their change of pace guy (Washington).

I wonder if the Jets would let washington walk if he were to get signed to an offer sheet and just take the 2nd rounder.

Also Bills signed Andra Davis today which makes me very happy. Very underrated inside linebacker in the 3-4 and solid against the run. Buffalo's run defence has been putrid the last few years so hopefully this is a step in the right direction.

You should be pretty happy with Andra Davis. Not great in coverage but tell him to get after the ball and he will make some plays.

Yeah I don't see how TJ could bring what LT can bring, despite the fact that TJ is the far superior runner at this point, LT still has the receiving skills that make him attractive as a third down back. I'd imagine his pass protection is still quite good as well.

Speaking of which, Tony Richardson was re-signed today. The guy is getting up there but is still one of the best blocking FBs in the league. I thought he did a great job last season.

Richardson, man he must be late 30s. Great blocking FB indeed, but I still laugh at the year he made the Pro Bowl as the Vikes FB. He was used very sparingly out of the I-form if I recall correctly.

Wooo Bills signed Dwan Edwards too, arguably the 2nd best DE available on the open market, and easily the best 3-4 DE. Defence is getting better against the run, that's for sure.

Great. In playoffs, each team will have at least one possession in OT.

I haven't read the official announcment yet but I thought they said if the first team scores a touchdown it was over. But if they made a field goal the other team got one possession.

I haven't read the official announcment yet but I thought they said if the first team scores a touchdown it was over. But if they made a field goal the other team got one possession.

Just went on NFL.com and I think you're right. So that makes RDS.ca totally wrong. They are bs, they totally wrote (and it is still there) that each team would have a possession and don't mention the fg vs td thing.