The Official NFL Thread

jetsniper

• 1 month later...

Peyton Manning winds up in Denver, this will make the offseason really interesting while they decide on what to do with Tebow. I think they'd be wise to keep both and let Manning help teach Tebow a bit.

Also, screwiest deal of the offseason, QB Matt Flynn to the Seahawks for give or take $8 million per year (depending on reports). He has 2 career starts. I get that he was blocked by Rodgers in Green Bay but that's a beyond gutsy risk.

Peyton Manning winds up in Denver, this will make the offseason really interesting while they decide on what to do with Tebow. I think they'd be wise to keep both and let Manning help teach Tebow a bit.

I don't know football very well but I thought the same. Some football fans educated me that Peyton Manning's playbook is worlds apart from Tebows and keeping both would mean players would have to know how to play for two very different quarterbacks.

I don't know football very well but I thought the same. Some football fans educated me that Peyton Manning's playbook is worlds apart from Tebows and keeping both would mean players would have to know how to play for two very different quarterbacks.

That's no different from last season. Kyle Orton's offense was totally different from the one Tebow ran and the team had no trouble adjusting to it. I'm quite upset with the Broncos over this whole QB situation. They pass over Brady Quinn for Tebow because of the fans. I was ok with that, because Tebow was the one guy in the league I could tolerate stealing Quinn's chance. Tebow proves his worth, albeit in an unorthodox way, yet he still ends up cast aside. Now he and Quinn are both searching for a job. Ugh.

Also, screwiest deal of the offseason, QB Matt Flynn to the Seahawks for give or take $8 million per year (depending on reports). He has 2 career starts. I get that he was blocked by Rodgers in Green Bay but that's a beyond gutsy risk.

I think the Cardinals getting Kolb was worse than the Seahawks signing Flynn. In addition to the larger contract Kolb got, the Cards had to give up a starting corner and a 2nd rounder to get him. At the time, he had what, half a dozen starts?

I think the Cardinals getting Kolb was worse than the Seahawks signing Flynn. In addition to the larger contract Kolb got, the Cards had to give up a starting corner and a 2nd rounder to get him. At the time, he had what, half a dozen starts?

I was referring to this offseason, Kolb will be entering his second season with the Cardinals. That deal was dumb too though.

The Manning deal is $96 million over 5 years. I don't follow the numbers in football as much as I do the other 3 big North American ones (MLB, NBA, and of course the NHL) but I didn't think he'd come anywhere near there given that he didn't play a game last year.

I was referring to this offseason, Kolb will be entering his second season with the Cardinals. That deal was dumb too though.

The Manning deal is $96 million over 5 years. I don't follow the numbers in football as much as I do the other 3 big North American ones (MLB, NBA, and of course the NHL) but I didn't think he'd come anywhere near there given that he didn't play a game last year.

I know, I was just saying it wasn't the screwiest in recent memory.

As for the money, let's not forget that this is the NFL. All that matters is the guaranteed money. The only money the Broncos are 100% on the hook for is 18 million. Then there's another 40 million over the next two years if his neck is still fine after the season. I'd say chances are good he never sees the other 38 million. Still, I would agree that 3 years 58 million guaranteed if his neck is fine is more than expected.

That's no different from last season. Kyle Orton's offense was totally different from the one Tebow ran and the team had no trouble adjusting to it. I'm quite upset with the Broncos over this whole QB situation. They pass over Brady Quinn for Tebow because of the fans. I was ok with that, because Tebow was the one guy in the league I could tolerate stealing Quinn's chance. Tebow proves his worth, albeit in an unorthodox way, yet he still ends up cast aside. Now he and Quinn are both searching for a job. Ugh.

I knew you wouldn't be happy about this. I love Tebow, he seems like a great kid and he's got the heart of a lion. But he just isn't a good quarterback. I would be ecstatic if Tebow switched positions because he is definitely a football player and could excel at numerous positions. But he wants to stay at QB and I can understand that.

What I would like to see happen is send him to New England to reunite with Josh McDaniels and let him sit behind Brady to learn and let Josh coach him up. And New England will send Ryan Mallett in return for Tebow. Mallett is similar to Manning in playing style, big tall QB who is immobile and can sling the ball. But I don't see that trade happening.

I know for one thing as long as he doesn't go to the Raiders, Chargers or Chiefs I will continue to be a Tim Tebow fan.

Tebow and a 7th to the Jets (who just extended Mark Sanchez for some odd reason) for a 4th and 6th. Again, I'm not familiar with Denver's salary situation but if that's the best they could get, they'd have been better off keeping him.

NO coach Sean Payton suspended for the year for 'Bounty-gate' while the defensive coordinator gets suspended indefinitely while the GM gets 8 games. Methinks the message will be received around the league...although I'll be curious to see how they enforce a GM suspension. Also, one other assistant got 6 games, the team was fined $500k, while being stripped of their next two 2nd rounders.

Just looked, it appears Tebow makes just under $2 million this year. Surely they could have afforded to keep him money wise; heck, I suspect most backups that are worth anything (off their first contract) get at least that much.

NO coach Sean Payton suspended for the year for 'Bounty-gate' while the defensive coordinator gets suspended indefinitely while the GM gets 8 games. Methinks the message will be received around the league...although I'll be curious to see how they enforce a GM suspension. Also, one other assistant got 6 games, the team was fined $500k, while being stripped of their next two 2nd rounders.

Yeah, wtf ? "Ok Sir, you'll have to hand me your computer, your cell phone, your iPad and take a flight to Thaïland and stay there in the jungle for 8 weeks."

Just looked, it appears Tebow makes just under $2 million this year.  Surely they could have afforded to keep him money wise; heck, I suspect most backups that are worth anything (off their first contract) get at least that much.

There is over $5mil he's qualified in bonus money this year based on what he did last year. The Jets didnt realize they'd be on the hook for it until they saw his contract and now the deal is in jeopardy.

The Jets? Really? WTF? I hate the Jets.

Agreed, terrible fit. Lets put one of the nicest guys in the league into a cancerous locker room with a rude, obnoxious and just plain asshole coach. This should work over well.

But according to the news the Broncos gave Tebow the choice between the Jets and Jags.

Bills sign Mark Anderson (10 sacks for Patriots last year).

Adding him and Mario Williams to bookend Kyle Williams and Marcel Dareus makes for a very scary defensive line.

Yeah I really like the D-line they are building. Dareus and Williams were beasts on their own now add Mario Williams and Anderson. I think that's on par with the Lions D-line.

Kelsay, spencer johnson and torrell troup are good players in rotation on that dline too.

Kelsay will be in on first and ten and running downs as he's not as good as Anderson rushing the passer, but is a better run stopper.

Yeah I really like the D-line they are building. Dareus and Williams were beasts on their own now add Mario Williams and Anderson. I think that's on par with the Lions D-line.

I've been thrilled with our offseason thus far. Our biggest weakness was by far our D-line and now adding Anderson to Mario Williams we should have a top 5 Dline (if not best in the league). Greatest part of this is that as we get more pressure on the QB it makes the rest of our D look better. I've felt for a while that we have an underrated secondary who gets exposed because the QB normally has a ton of time to throw, this will no longer be the case.

The issue now is having too many players on the Dline (Mario, Anderson, Kelsay, S. Johnson, Dwan Edwards, Carrington, Dareus, K. Williams, Troup, Heard, Merriman, and others). Sombody's going to have to be cut.

Unless you can get Merriman to take his roids again I would cut him.  He's been borderline useless since.

Merriman will be cut, I almost guarantee that.  He wasnt included in my list of 7 for that reason.  His money and spot goes to the new guys. As for the rest of Farbe's list they are all nothing more than depth. The best guys in camp will make it, the others will get cut.

I feel the team is a LT and WR away from contending and one of those should be available at 10th overall

I keep hearing Riley Reiff is who you guys are targeting at 10. As for WR there isn't much left in top 2 WR's as free agents but Alshon Jeffrey, Stephen Hill or Mohamed Sanu should be available at your second pick.