The Official NFL Thread

jetsniper

I think in terms of pure talent and ability, there's little doubt that Randy Moss is the best of all time. It pains me to say that because I can't stand him. Of course, people other than Moss realize that talent and ability do not necessarily make one the best. His work ethic, attitude, and moping prevented him from being consistently great. When he felt like playing, he was amazing. As we all know, however, that was certainly not the case. Just imagine if he had been a true professional and not a total ass...

I think that while a player is still playing, he should believe he's the best, if thats what he needs to have the confidence to perform.

Doesn't make it true.... but if it helps Moss, it needs to be done.

Flacco did the same this year, calling himself elite.

• 1 month later...

Free agency moves fast in the NFL, that's for sure. It started just yesterday afternoon and there has to be at least 40+ signings/re-signings by now. Wes Welker to Denver and Mike Wallace to Miami are the biggest surprises so far. Reggie Bush to Detroit also was another interesting one since they have a boatload of RB's already.

Free agency moves fast in the NFL, that's for sure. It started just yesterday afternoon and there has to be at least 40+ signings/re-signings by now. Wes Welker to Denver and Mike Wallace to Miami are the biggest surprises so far. Reggie Bush to Detroit also was another interesting one since they have a boatload of RB's already.

Welker to Denver was really the only surprise. There was lots of talk heading in that Miami would be in play for Wallace and most people were predicting Bush to Detroit. Lots of people were in love with the 49ers getting Boldin and while he fits the team's mentality perfectly, he wasn't really the guy they needed, in my opinion. They've already got a good possession type receiver in Crabtree. They needed more of a deep threat. Goldson loss is big, but I'm guessing they fill that with the draft.

Welker to Denver was really the only surprise. There was lots of talk heading in that Miami would be in play for Wallace and most people were predicting Bush to Detroit. Lots of people were in love with the 49ers getting Boldin and while he fits the team's mentality perfectly, he wasn't really the guy they needed, in my opinion. They've already got a good possession type receiver in Crabtree. They needed more of a deep threat. Goldson loss is big, but I'm guessing they fill that with the draft.

I don't follow any of the speculation so Wallace/Bush were still surprises to me. New England did well replacing Welker with Danny Amendola too, St. Louis is in dire need of a replacement top WR...they could probably use a new #2 guy as well.

• 5 months later...

The NFL season kicks off tonight. As always, my team to root for is my fantasy squad (for whatever reason, I can't find a team to really follow with interest). Denver seems to be the popular team to pick to win it all but is their defence due for a regression after a strong 2012 campaign?

• 1 month later...

What's up with this "shoes color" rule in the NFL. Brandon Marshall received a 10k+ fine for wearing green shoes last weekend...

Historically, teams could only wear black or white coloured shoes. Last year, the NFL expanded that to allow that a shoe could be coloured as long as it matches the teams' uniform colour. The Bears don't wear green, so it's a uniform violation.

Historically, teams could only wear black or white coloured shoes. Last year, the NFL expanded that to allow that a shoe could be coloured as long as it matches the teams' uniform colour. The Bears don't wear green, so it's a uniform violation.

Okay. That's got to be part of my top 3 most stupid rules of all sports list.

• 1 month later...

Wow, what a day in the NFL. We had the 'Snow Bowl' in Philly where no extra points or field goals were made (but 8 TD's were scored), the Baltimore game had 5 TD's (and 5 lead changes) in the final 2:05, and New England came back from down 12 with 1:01 to go (and nearly lost on a last gasp FG try).

ya it was a heck of a week for sure. Though not so happy watching it since my Lions lost. They still barely control their own destiny but I have a feeling they are going to continue choking and miss the playoffs.

ya it was a heck of a week for sure. Though not so happy watching it since my Lions lost. They still barely control their own destiny but I have a feeling they are going to continue choking and miss the playoffs.

They looked brutal in the 2nd half. I know McCoy's a top RB but when everyone knows they're running the ball, he shouldn't have been allowed to break that many runs.

I can't recall a worse shoot-themselves-in-the-foot team than the Lions. Maybe the Cowboys. But Detroit has controlled its own destiny for a while now and continues to give the ball away in the worst situations several times a game. They're so talented but they can never get it together.

They looked brutal in the 2nd half. I know McCoy's a top RB but when everyone knows they're running the ball, he shouldn't have been allowed to break that many runs.

Ya I'm not sure how they can be so dominate in the first half and then just implode in the 2nd half. And your absolutely right most of them were simple tackles that they just couldnt get done.

I can't recall a worse shoot-themselves-in-the-foot team than the Lions. Maybe the Cowboys. But Detroit has controlled its own destiny for a while now and continues to give the ball away in the worst situations several times a game. They're so talented but they can never get it together.

Ya that was pretty evident when the Cowboys and Lions met up this year. Lions had so many turnovers and if they wouldnt of had those tehy would of won the game handedly. Cowboys should have been able to capitalize on them but just couldnt. The Lions are just such a frustrating team to watch. You'd think one day they would find a way to reward their fans for sticking around when the Lions ahve given them no reason to.

What a collapse by the Cowboys yesterday as they blew a 26-3 halftime lead at home against Green Bay...a team using their 4th different QB of the season in Matt Flynn (who has a similar number of times released/traded than starts in recent years). Ouch.

• 3 weeks later...

Mike Munchak took a bullet for the Titans, reinforcing the adage that a football team can not be run from the peanut gallery (ownership). Fisher succumbed to that same disease. I thought Bud Adams was dead, but alas he lives on.

• 7 months later...

Seeking some help here.

Trying to get back in touch with NFL football with 1 or 2 fantasy pools (one on this board, the other being a live draft).

Just want to know who are the projected

1. Offensive powerhouse (teams)

2. Defensive powerhouse (teams)

Then I could check out what their schedules are and somewhat base my picks on them.

I wouldn't worry too much with the defensive powerhouses. Many pools (including the HW one) only have one defensive spot and that's for a team and not one particular player. Personally, I find there's little difference in value between the #10 defensive team and the #20 so I often leave picking that spot until near the end of the draft and I usually change team defences at least 7-8 times a season. There are a few powerhouse defences but they always go earlier than they should (often to teams that don't pre-rank).

I wouldn't worry too much with the defensive powerhouses. Many pools (including the HW one) only have one defensive spot and that's for a team and not one particular player. Personally, I find there's little difference in value between the #10 defensive team and the #20 so I often leave picking that spot until near the end of the draft and I usually change team defences at least 7-8 times a season. There are a few powerhouse defences but they always go earlier than they should (often to teams that don't pre-rank).

I like how you totally ignored the "offensive powerhouse" part of my post.

But I'll run a Yahoo Mock Draft per day until the 28th and see who are the top players. :)

I like how you totally ignored the "offensive powerhouse" part of my post.

But I'll run a Yahoo Mock Draft per day until the 28th and see who are the top players. :)

I can't give away everything. :) In all seriousness, if you're looking for teams in general, I'd start with the highest scoring teams from last year to find your offensive powerhouses. I'm too lazy to look those up.

• 4 weeks later...