• Bégin
    • Bouillon
    • Dandenault
    • Koivu
    • komisarek
    • Kovalev
    • Kostopoulos
    • Tanguay

According to HW habs Montreal Canadiens Salary Information page 12 players will be playing for a new contract next year.

In an ideal world all would sign discount contracts so the core of the team wouldn't touched. In a cap space world though, decisions need to be taken, tough decisions.

Kovy over koivu ??

Komisarek over 5M ??

Tanguay long term ??

Trade some players at the deadline for picks and prospects??

Go all in and take the risk of losing key players without return ??

How I would love to Be Gainey right now:rolleyes:

I know I wouldn't be a popular lad but I'd try to re-sing UFAs Komisarek and Tanguay and RFA Plekanec ASAP at the risk of losing a still-potent scorer and a great captain at the end of the season.

I don't think that guys like Bégin, dandy, kostopoulos and Bouillon are would be great losses since we have many decent guys in Hamilton waiting to prove what they can do: Dagostini, carle, valentenko, emelin( if he decides to come), stewart...

Edited by marky_and_komi

Of all the players mentioned, I think you start with Komisarek and build on out. I also voted for Plekanec, because besides being a C, I think he's the most versatile of the bunch, still young and still some upside (Tender potentially has more, but is not that player just yet). Kovy (and IMO Koivu) are the ones Gainey will have to replace sooner rather than later, though the addition of Laraque should add to their "longevity" somewhat.

Begin, Dandy, Kosto and Boullon, it's like you said, they all get edged out by the kids if not this, definitely next year. Tanguay? Lets see what he does this year, I'm hopefully excited, but also (cough)samsonov(cough) apprehensive.

With Komi and Higgins being such good friends, I wander how much of a factor that is in both (reportedly) loving it here....and conversely, if a potential Higgins trade has any bearing on that? Hopefully he we will back to his rookie year form this year and makes those speculations a little more far-fetched.

I would not welcome Bouillon and Dandenault back.

I would possibly not ask Begin to come back.

Could not let Kostopoulos be back if he's taking up a roster spot from Chipchura or D'agostini or Paccioretty.

I'd hope to bring everyone else back including all of Koivu, Kovalev and Tanguay (barring some Samsonovish disaster).

I would not welcome Bouillon and Dandenault back.

I would possibly not ask Begin to come back.

Could not let Kostopoulos be back if he's taking up a roster spot from Chipchura or D'agostini or Paccioretty.

I'd hope to bring everyone else back including all of Koivu, Kovalev and Tanguay (barring some Samsonovish disaster).

Agreed, but I would add deleting those 4 players saves

us approx 5.5M to bring everyone else back :clap:

And bring in some new blood :hlogo:

I wish I could have checked off two in the UFA box: Kovalev (short term) AND Komisarek (long term)

The RFA was a no-brainer for me: Plekanec

Yeah, the reality is : there is more than 1 priority signing per category. But I chose Komi and Higgins, the dynamic duo. I'm thinking about a 4-5 years chemistry with McDonagh and the other Americans we drafted.

Yeah, the reality is : there is more than 1 priority signing per category. But I chose Komi and Higgins, the dynamic duo. I'm thinking about a 4-5 years chemistry with McDonagh and the other Americans we drafted.

Excellent point. Let,s not forget that the Habs have drafted ALOT of young americans over the past 6 years. Having young veterans like Komi and Higgins with the Habs for a long time can be beneficial for the newer young americans who will be playing on this team in the future.

That's why I voted for Komi(no-brainer) and Higgins. If these two guys are good buddies, i wouldn'T want to trade one away, which would give the other guy some motivation to get traded out of Montreal. If they both really like it here, offer them 6 year deal.

Agreed, but I would add deleting those 4 players saves

us approx 5.5M to bring everyone else back

The problem is that it will cost the Habs a heckuva lot more to sign everyone else. Guys like Komisarek will triple their pay. Higgins will most like double his pay. Players like Kovy, Koivu and Tanguay will be looking for 5.5 million$ + per year. Plekanec will see his salary go up by about 250%. If Guillaume has a relatively good year (ie: 25 goals or more) he can expect to double his pay as well.

This season will be extremely crucial for the future of the Habs. That is why I sincerely hope Bob will forget about his stupid rule about not negotiating during the season. The longer he waits to sign guys like Komi, Plex and Higgins, the more it'll cost us!

Edited by Habsfan

I've said before...if it comes down to a cap crunch, you let Kovalev walk.

WHat if Kovy has another 80+ point season and Saku has another disappointing year(ie: less than 60 points)? Who do you keep?

Edited by Habsfan

I've said before...if it comes down to a cap crunch, you let Kovalev walk.

It won't get that desperate that we'd be forced to let Kovalev walk - not unless he asked for something crazy like 7 or more million, or a long-term deal. If he's reasonable, we'll have the capspace to bring all of Kovalev (5-6 million), Koivu (4.5-5.5 million), Tanguay (4.5-5.5 million), Komisarek (5-5.75 million) and then up all the RFA. We already have about 6 million in capspace and then letting go of Bouillon, Dandenault, probably Begin and possibly Kostopoulos will free up about 5 million more.

I don't expect Higgins to get too big a raise unless he improves his numbers, so far he has the point totals of a third liner. I'd see him geting 2-3 million. Plekanec will be the only major raise from our RFAs - his cap hit can go from 1.6 up to 4 or 5 million.

After reading this article this morning I couldn't help think should Gainey focus on Gaborik. Maybe we could steal this guy in March. Would it be worth it? and who would you trade?

"

MINNEAPOLIS STAR-TRIBUNE: Michael Russo recently reported on Marian Gaborik's contract situation, noting that he wants to be paid as if he were a free agent. The Wild believe offering him "north of $8.5 million" per season is more than reasonable and want to pay him in line with the extensions being paid out now. Russo also doubts that the Wild could land a comparable player in return in today's salary cap era if the club decides to trade him. "Sure, the Wild could likely get a strong package of players/picks back, but you’re not going to get fair value back — at least for the short-term", writes Russo.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Russo's right. One only has to look at the return the Thrashers got for Marian Hossa or the Blues received for Keith Tkachuk. Again, it's my opinion that if the Wild do decide to trade Gaborik it won't be until mid-season.

UFA priorties:

1. Komi

2. Higgins

3. Tangauy (younger then Kovalev)

4. Koivu (if they can't land a big centre)

All RFA's get re signed

The rest can leave the roster, regardless of what Kaovalev says about wanting to stay, IF he has a big year he'll ask for a huge contract. You need to resign the youth.

The Kosty brothers will more then make up for Kovalev's talent.

I voted Komisarek and Placenecs (I'm sure I spelled both of their names wrong ;) )

I also think that we can sign some of the top guys back at a discount if the team does well, and they love their experience here in Montreal (no shredding by media). A good team environment often leads to players wanting to stick around longer.

Anyway, time will tell. This season ought to be break out years for many of our younger guys ... so some players may become obsolete.

SAks, As much as I'd love to pick up Gaborik, rumors are that he'll be asking for 11 million $ per year. For a guy who has never cracked the 90 point mark and who is always injured, I think that would be too much!

SAks, As much as I'd love to pick up Gaborik, rumors are that he'll be asking for 11 million $ per year. For a guy who has never cracked the 90 point mark and who is always injured, I think that would be too much!

Ya, I hear ya. I did not hear 11 million but if he is offered 8.5 and not flinching he wants payday this summer. I wonder if the Laffs will pick him up. Boy, that would interesting.

Ya, I hear ya. I did not hear 11 million but if he is offered 8.5 and not flinching he wants payday this summer. I wonder if the Laffs will pick him up. Boy, that would interesting.

maybe he could go to

Russia. they seem to be giving ridiculous contracts to attract star players.

Edited by marky_and_komi