Do we have any solid prospects who play centre?

REV-G

A few years back we were in short supply of quality defensemen on the farm. Gainey and Timmins said they would be drafting defencemen to fill the void, and now we have a number of very solid propects who play defence. Only time will tell if they make it as solid NHL'ers.

But we now seem to be quite short of quality centermen. So my qustion is, have we drafted or do we have any promising prospects in our system who play centre?

Other than Chipchura whom I don't consider a prospect anymore, the only decent ones we have at centre are Maxwell and Trotter, but none of them should be referred to as solid prospects. Trotter has some offensive potential, but has a long way to go before even being considered for an NHL spot. As for Maxwell, he could perhaps become a decent 2nd liner centre, but his multiple injuries in the last 2 years have no doubt affected his development, and he also has a lot to prove this season.

Both should play a prominent role in Hamilton, most likely as the second and third line centers (unless we move Lehoux to the wing), and we should have a much better idea of their true NHL potential at the end of this season. In the best case scenario, Maxwell might even get called-up for a few games (although that would mean we have injuries in Montreal).

On Hockey's Future's list of the Habs' top 20 prospects, the writer seemed to be under the impression that Maxwell will be sent back to junior for his overage season. I hadn't heard of that possibility discussed before. If so, that means Trotter will get lots of opportunities to play in an offensive capacity this coming season.

Ryan White is expected to be a winger here as a professional, but that assumption was also made of Grabovski.

After that... boy it's thin. Olivier Fortier is a decent QMJHL prospect that's better known for his defensive abilities. Then we have marginal AHLers/good ECHLers like Mathieu Aubin, Olivier Latendresse, and Ryan Russell, and our last pick in the most recent draft, Patrick Johnson.

Hmmm, Lehoux might be too old to be considered a prospect, but he might actually be our best all-around C outside of Montreal right now (PPG player in the AHL with NHL upside and a developing defensive game). If Chips doesnt show significant progress, Lehoux might get the call-up first.

David Desharnais might also get good ice in Hamilton after dominating the ECHL in his first pro season. I'd put him ahead of any other C in Hamilton (Trotter et al.) His size is a huge handicap though.

Hmmm, Lehoux might be too old to be considered a prospect, but he might actually be our best all-around C outside of Montreal right now (PPG player in the AHL with NHL upside and a developing defensive game). If Chips doesnt show significant progress, Lehoux might get the call-up first.

David Desharnais might also get good ice in Hamilton after dominating the ECHL in his first pro season. I'd put him ahead of any other C in Hamilton (Trotter et al.) His size is a huge handicap though.

Desharnais would have to be signed by Montreal first. Unless he's leaps and bounds ahead of Trotter, then he won't get the opportunity this year.

Ek has the Habs talking deal with the Kings. Exchange of prospects. Are there any centers on their farm?

Never can tell. Since we've drafted so much D. Gainey can only thicken us up through trade .......hmmmmmm

I would love for us to get Brian Boyle, but with Johnson, Doughty, Teubert, and Hickey, the Kings might have other priorities than defensive prospects at this point... although they could sure use some immediate help.

Desharnais deserves a look after his great ECHL season, but considering he was mediocre both times he was called-up to the AHL, I wouldn't put him ahead of Trotter and especially not Maxwell. Ben Maxwell is the player we need to focus on, and we have to make sure he fulfills his potential.

Help us Ben Maxwell, you're our only hope... ;)

As for the others, we should keep an eye on the undrafted Trotter, but he's nowhere near the NHL level; he'll need to be dominating the AHL before we even consider him. As somebody else mentionned, Fortier is solid defensive centre in the QMJHL, but he hasn't put up much points without Frolik holding his hand; almost all good defensive forwards in the NHL were star players at the junior levels. Finally, Ryan White should be moved to the RW while Matieu Aubin is having a hard time maintaining a roster spot in the AHL.

I still consider Chipchura and Lapierre as prospects...and at least 1 of them will be in the AHL this year.

Considering Plekanec's age, Chipchura, Lapierre, Maxwell and Trotter I don't think Centre is an overly pressing need NOW but is certainly one that needs addressed in the next draft.

I think it's also worth noting that D-men typically develop at a slower pace then forwards. So drafting a core of d-men and then drafting forwards MAY allow this team to see a good crop of youth impacting in the NHL, all at once, in about 4-5 years time. With the youth currently on the team this could mean that the Habs remain truly competitive for the next decade or more...

I think Maxwell is our best hope to become a 2nd line C.

He's been injuried the past 2 seasons, not sure if it was

just bad luck or if he's injury prone. But, Timmins is high

on Maxwell and thats ok for me. He does have some size,

I've read he's 6'1 and 195lbs.

Not sure what to think about Ryan White. I heard his

skating is a issue, but I wonder if its on a par to Chips

or Latendresse's. I've read White is good on FO's and

he has put up some nice numbers. Last I read he was

like 6'2 and 215lbs with an edge to his game.

I think we need to upgrade that depth through a trade

or through the draft.

I still consider Chipchura and Lapierre as prospects...and at least 1 of them will be in the AHL this year.

Considering Plekanec's age, Chipchura, Lapierre, Maxwell and Trotter I don't think Centre is an overly pressing need NOW but is certainly one that needs addressed in the next draft.

I think it's also worth noting that D-men typically develop at a slower pace then forwards. So drafting a core of d-men and then drafting forwards MAY allow this team to see a good crop of youth impacting in the NHL, all at once, in about 4-5 years time. With the youth currently on the team this could mean that the Habs remain truly competitive for the next decade or more...

Lapierre needs to clear waivers and he never will so sending him down to the AHL isn't an option.