Paul Hamm

Fanpuck33_

Why are assholes calling for him give back his gold medal? Sure, the judges scored the Korean gymnast's score wrong, but the truth is that they scored him too HIGH! They improperly deducted him a tenth of a point based on difficulty level, but they failed to dock him .2 points for an illegal 4th hold during his routine. This brings his total score down by .1 points. Not to mention the Koreans did not even file their protest on time. And to top it all off, video replay isn't even allowed in gymnastics.

If anyone should return his medal, the Korean should give his bronze medal to person in 4th place, who would have won bronze had the judges down their jobs correctly.

Errr... I think only an American can agree with you.

I haven't seen any of this but from what I've heard pretty much everybody expect the Americans thinks that he should let go of his gold medal.

This is the kind of problems you get when you have a system that is overly subjective.

A sport like hockey is simple. The team who scores the most goals wins the game.

In gymnastics there are judges who determine who's made the best effort. Since opinions differ, there will always be this kind of controversy.

I'm not saying hockey refs are not making subjective calls. I'm saying it doesn't effect the outcome of a competition in the same way.

But look at the facts, how can anyone expect him to give it back? The judges messed up, but the Koreans didn't follow the proper procedure and missed their appeal deadline. Then they used video replay to get their case heard, and video replay isn't allowed in gymnastics. And even if they use replay, that just opens up all kinds of cans of worms. If they use replay to show the judges scored him too low, then how can they ignore the fact that the judges did not deduct the Korean gymnast for his illegal 4th hold maneuver? And then if they review his routine, then all the gymnasts will ask for a re-evaluation of their routines.

Hamm is taking a lot of crap for no good reasons. The Koreans screwed up, the judges screwed up, and the IOC screwed up. Hamm is about the only person that shouldn't be taking any of the blame, but he is taking almost all of it.

Oh I don't think he should give back the medal.

Hamm is taking a lot of crap for no good reasons. The Koreans screwed up, the judges screwed up, and the IOC screwed up. Hamm is about the only person that shouldn't be taking any of the blame, but he is taking almost all of it.
I agree. It's not like it's his fault everybody else screwed up.

[Edited on 2004/8/31 by Doktor Kosmos]

I am sure if the American was cheated out of the gold medal, he'd be demanding the Korean give it up.

A Canadian was cheated out of a medal this year by similiar circumstances. You don't see Canadians pissing and moaning about it. It happenes, get over it.

[Edited on 2004/9/2 by Leafs Suck]

That's the thing though, the South Korean ended up having a score higher than he deserved, so he did not get screwed. That's what makes this whole thing such B.S. I am just pissing and moaning about it because Hamm is getting a raw deal. He did nothing wrong, yet during the rest of the competitions he was booed and harassed.