Schneider on waivers

JoeLassister

or the roster space

Actually we have Bouillon and Gorges on the roster, and only Andrei Markov who's a proven powerplay performer (Hamrlik can probably do a lot better than last season if given a better opportunity). We can always hope that a forward or a Komisarek/Gorges does well if given the opportunity, but nothing is certain.

If we forget about the salary cap, the Canadiens would be much better off with Mathieu Schneider than a guy like Bouillon. However, we're not even close to being able to afford Schneider's salary at this point, so that's not even an issue. Even if somehow we traded Begin, Bouillon, and Dandeneault for no salary in return, we still couldn't afford Schneider (not with a 23 men roster anyways).

couldn't we make an agreement with them?

bouillon and dandy for schneider?

they free up 2.2M...

and we get Schneider :D

I think the whole point for them is to get pure cap space without adding to the roster. I don't think it's much of a coincidence that roughly 72 hours after the Habs made their move (Lang) that Schneider hit the waiver wire; if this was the be all end all, it would've been done much sooner. I think Anaheim's Plan A was to move him to Montreal, and they were unable to secure a Plan B so he's waived à la Bryzgalov.

I expect him to clear this go-round, which means he'll be subjected to re-entry waivers, and quickly be scooped by either TB (who'd then in turn turf a forward) or LA. This way, Anaheim saves $2.8 million and change, which is more than the 2.2. The Ducks have the players to fill the depth roles and don't need/want someone back; otherwise, I think he'd have been moved much sooner.

If we forget about the salary cap, the Canadiens would be much better off with Mathieu Schneider than a guy like Bouillon. However, we're not even close to being able to afford Schneider's salary at this point, so that's not even an issue. Even if somehow we traded Begin, Bouillon, and Dandeneault for no salary in return, we still couldn't afford Schneider (not with a 23 men roster anyways).

At a 23 man roster, you could do it, but you'd be pushing it in a big way (less than $100,000 in cap space.) Using the contract page on HW (I need to get the plug in when I can), the 3 contracts you mention equals $4.657 M. The Habs (assuming Chipchura doesn't make the opening night roster), have just over $2.007 M in space; combine the 2 and you're looking at 6.6 and change, 1 M more than Schneider's deal. Should the Habs want to carry 22 players, there's plenty of Bulldogs that you could keep up and have as the spare forward leaving a safe amount of cap space.

Of course, this is all moot, since he's waived and likely not traded, but I've typed this far anyways...

Makes me slightly regret just signing Brisebois but if we can come come to some sort of agreement where we give them Bouillon and Dandenault... someone would probably beat out our claim anyway, but Schneider would be a great addition to our D. A perfect addition, really.

We should sign Schneider. The upside is significant and this year, we're clearly going for it.

There's definitely upside, but note that Schneider was waived, not bought out. He's making $5.75 M this season with a $5.625 M cap hit, and as has been discussed in this thread, several moves would need to be made before they could pick him up.

Schneider has cleared waivers, let's see if he gets placed on re-entry waivers.

Schneider has cleared waivers, let's see if he gets placed on re-entry waivers.

at ~$2.8M, I can't imagine he'd fall all the way to the Canadiens... but then again the market keeps surprising me.

Even if he feel to the Habs, I doubt they'd be able to fit him into the roster. Not to say that he isn't superior to some of the D-men currently on the team, I just think there would be too many players/contracts to move around in order to get him a place here.

at ~$2.8M, I can't imagine he'd fall all the way to the Canadiens... but then again the market keeps surprising me.

Even if he feel to the Habs, I doubt they'd be able to fit him into the roster. Not to say that he isn't superior to some of the D-men currently on the team, I just think there would be too many players/contracts to move around in order to get him a place here.

Like I predicted yesterday, I think he'll go well before the Habs as well, to either LA/TB. If he were to fall to the club, they'd be over the cap by about $875,000, so hypothetically, space could be cleared out by moving a guy like Bouillon/Dandenault for a pick/prospect, should such a deal actually be available (and that's certainly debatable.)

I don't think Bob thinks he wants the shnide probably just tooo much money and tooo difficult to make happen. He has already said he is done dealing for now. He wants to see what happens in training camp. Now if we COULD dump Dandy and claim him on re-entry it just might work ok maybe 1 more move like boullion for a draft choice to some team. I have always like mathieu and would love to see him finish his career in La belle province

I don't think Bob thinks he wants the shnide probably just tooo much money and tooo difficult to make happen. He has already said he is done dealing for now. He wants to see what happens in training camp. Now if we COULD dump Dandy and claim him on re-entry it just might work ok maybe 1 more move like boullion for a draft choice to some team. I have always like mathieu and would love to see him finish his career in La belle province

Much smarter to see what some of the rookies can do before making another trade. It wouldnt be a bad idea to have some cap room when the trading deadline rolls around.

The only way it could work would be to claim him on re-entry waivers, however I doubt Brian Burke wants to be responsible for half os Schneider's salary. If that's the case, he won't be able to resign Selanne and keep Bobby Ryan on his NHL roster.

Otherwise, at his full salary, we would basically have to send both Chipchura (he's already going down to make room for Brisebois and Lang) and Dandeneault to Hamilton, and either trade Bouillon and Begin for no roster player in return or also send them to Hamtilon. Then we bring up either Greg Stewart or Matt D'Agostini as a reserve forward, and only keep a 22-man roster.

However even with that plan, that only leaves us with a little more than 500K in cap space... I don't think it's worth it...

• 2 weeks later...

They need to make it look like they're trying to Kovalchuk. Otherwise they'll have another disgruntled superstar on his way out of town by the end of the season.

Kovalchuk playing on an actual hockey team would scare the bejeesus out of me.

A waste for the Thrashers, I think. All he can do is make their draft pick worse.

schneider was picked for scraps and will be traded at the deadline for a good draft pick and/or prospect.

schneider will probably better the PP while helping the younger guys.

schneider was picked for scraps and will be traded at the deadline for a good draft pick and/or prospect.

schneider will probably better the PP while helping the younger guys.

yeh that would make some sense.