Jason Missiaen

simonus

While the goalie is 6-foot-8, his muscle group and tendons are still at 6-foot-4, Melanson said.

"It's very important for his improvement the next few years in junior to stay healthy," he said. "He's experiencing a period of stiffness and soreness that's not normal with other goalies.

"We're going to keep a close watch on him with Scott Livingston (the Canadiens strength and conditioning co-ordinator) and our training staff."

from the Gazette.

Anybody know what is meant by this? Is this just some hyperbole? Does this kid have some sort of pituitary problem?

I don't think it's an actual health problem. He's 18 and 6'8, he says in the article he only started getting huge in the 9th grade which would make him about 14-15. He just hasn't grown into his frame yet.

His lower body probably has a hard time with the amount of force being applied against it from his enormous size. Very tall men are always subject to greater problems with their joints.

When they say he needs to grow into his size, they mean it. He needs to add significant muscle mass to help his body out for the very demanding physical toll he puts on it by playing goal.

Missiaen was sent back to the Peterborough Petes yesterday, but unfortunately so was Trevor Cann a few days ago. So Jason should be the number 2 all season long again, although I hope the Canadiens put a little pressure on the Petes to give him more starts during the regular season... if he's playing well of course.

Missiaen was sent back to the Peterborough Petes yesterday, but unfortunately so was Trevor Cann a few days ago. So Jason should be the number 2 all season long again, although I hope the Canadiens put a little pressure on the Petes to give him more starts during the regular season... if he's playing well of course.

what kind of pressure could the Habs possibly place on the Petes?

I think he was referring to his flexibility...maybe he's sore because he's being stretched beyond what he typically did.

BTW, the Habs can put SOME pressure on the Pete's but it won't amount to much. They could try to help them broker a deal and even potentially financially compensate the Pete's to deal him to another city...but any financial compensation would be a dangerous precedent if it's not already done typically.

I'm not sure who follows the OHL here, but Missiaen played in the Petes season opener. He was the 3rd star in a 4-1 victory over Kingston and stopped 31 of 32 shots. Not a bad start to the season. Cann wasn't on the roster so maybe he didn't make it back from Colorado's camp in time. I guess we'll see what happens when they play Belleville on Saturday.

I'm not sure who follows the OHL here, but Missiaen played in the Petes season opener. He was the 3rd star in a 4-1 victory over Kingston and stopped 31 of 32 shots. Not a bad start to the season. Cann wasn't on the roster so maybe he didn't make it back from Colorado's camp in time. I guess we'll see what happens when they play Belleville on Saturday.

Thanks for the info.

Were you at the game ?

How did he look?

Welcome to HabsWorld :clap:

from the Gazette.

Anybody know what is meant by this? Is this just some hyperbole? Does this kid have some sort of pituitary problem?

It means that the kid better hit the gym and fill out his frame because right now he's susceptible to injuries.

In short, you know how they always tell athletes "make sure you do your warm ups because you could get hurt if you don't"? Well, this guy really has to take that very seriously since one bad move and he could strain/pull a muscle.

Edited by Tony

I saw Missiaen on Saturday vs Belleville.

He looked ok, nothing special on this night. Jason needs to concentrate more on seeing the play develop in front of him. His anticipation of the plays/pass is a little off but he did just come back from camp too. The Petes lost 4-2

For some people who are super tall like that the term growing pains is literal. I had several high school friends who were 6'6"+ who would literally feel themselves growing during the night. :blink:

For them their bones felt like they were stretching and it was quite painfull for them.

In Missiaens case I think what they are refering to is that his bones grew faster than soft tissue like tendons etc. His tendons would be under more pressure and stress (stretched farther) than other people his own age and it will take some time for his tendons to catch up with his bone structure. I think Melanson is over exagerating the problem when he said 6'4" though.

I'm going to have to go check out a Petes game at some point this year. I will have to pay attention and try to see a game with him in it and it would be even better if it could be against the Bulls. I wouldnt mind seeing PK either if he is still with the Bulls.

• 4 weeks later...

Jeebus. I saw him play tonight and that aboot sums it up. :lol:

Petes won 4-3 in OT. It sucked because they scored with just a few seconds left and at that point I was wanting to see how he would fair in a shootout.

2 of the goals werent overly good goals and for sure on the one a regular sized goalie would have had it. Overall a lot of the fans around me seemed as neverous as I was whenever the Sting would take a shot. He really looks uncoordinated out there but the fact he is there does say a lot. When he get used to being this size he should loose that and become pretty good. He isnt bad he just looks kinda strange and out of place out there. The Petes did give up 50 shots and they only scored 3 so thats not to bad. Surprisingly there wasnt lots of good chances either way. None of the players looked overly impressive or NHL caliber yet anyway.

Just his size makes him look odd because his blocker and trapper look like little kids equipment compared to his huge leg pads. No clue how he can even play goal, who makes equipment that big? That sort of why it looks funny too because he's so large it make his glove like really small but its has to be regular size its just not porportional to his size.

Whenever there was a scrum around his net and he stood up he towered over everybody and by quite a bit. It was totally noticable. My buddy had the tickets given to him by his boss and isnt into hockey and it didnt take him long to say holy crap how tall is that guy. It doesnt look like he puts up with sh*t either. On several occaisions when he was poked he would shove the guy back or stand up and everytime the Sting player would vacate the area fast.

I knew he was tall but damn you dont realize what that means untill you actually see the guy and standing by the net. Its crazy sick how large this guy is. The people who beleive that all butterfly goalies are susceptable to top shelf over the shoulder shots have clearly never seen Missiaen. Even when on his knees in a butterfly this guys shoulders are still at or above the crossbar. :puke:

Only when he is bending over forward could you get the puck over his shoulders.

One of the Sting actually managed to do it with Kovalevesque precision. I was sitting by the halfboards at that end when he did it and all of us literally gasped and were like what just happened, how the hell did he do that because Missiaen takes up that much room in the net. Nobody thought there was room for the puck to get through but buddy somehow managed to do it.

By the time Missiaen is in his mid 20's his career should be interesting. It should only be a matter of time before he stops looking so uncoordinated and when that happens he could be crazy because its almost impossible to get the puck over his shoulders when he is on his knees. He could just hang off the one post and wave his glove hand around and cover 99% of the net. :blink:

Thanks for the update, SB.

The Record in Kitchener indicated that the Pete's other goalie could be traded to make Missiaen the #1. For the sake of his development, hopefully that happens.

Link

"London and Windsor... are interested in Petes veteran Trevor Cann, with Peterborough poised to turn to 6-foot-7 Jason Missiaen in goal.

Word was Cann could be a Windsor Spitfire by week's end. However, Petes' general manager Jeff Twohey suggested to The Record this week that nothing was inevitable or imminent regarding the 19-year-old Cann."

• 2 weeks later...