Need Advice

ForumGhost

Me and a couple friends want to start a small, simple fantasy hockey pool.

We understand the basics, but what we want to know is how to tabulate the scoring? What factors should be taken into account from forwards, defensemen and goalies and how should we assign points to each factor? Is there anything else we should know? We want to do a simple fantasy draft using a full 20 player team.

I guess it's up to you guys.

Mine goes like this : 1 pt for 1pt. Goalies receive 2pts for a win + 1pt for a shotout. Teams receive 2pts for a win and 1pt for an OT or Sh loss.

I know some pools use 2pts for a pk goal and 2pts for a Dman goal...

it's up to those in the pool i guess.

We understand the basics, but what we want to know is how to tabulate the scoring? What factors should be taken into account from forwards, defensemen and goalies and how should we assign points to each factor? Is there anything else we should know? We want to do a simple fantasy draft using a full 20 player team.

Why don't you just do a simple rotisseree pool instead of a points based system?

Rank which teams have the most Goals, Assists, Total Points, +/- for each category. You do a reverse ranking (ie. so the most assists is 1st in the category, most goals is 1st, etc...then total the ranks (ie. 1 in A, 1 in G, 1 in TP and 3rd in +/1 would be a total of 6...lowest total is in the lead). For goalies you want to typically use the same number of categories, like: GAA, SV%, W, SO. You need to make the goalies be "as rare" as the players...since there are really only 30 goalies to choose from and they're category rankings are worth as much as the players. This is the typical pool most people use.

Just jump on Yahoo and set up a free league and you can see how they structure it and you can also see how they structure a general points league...if you don't use the leagues then it's no big deal as they're free and I also think you can delete them too.

Couple more things: the draft can often be the most entertaining part of a pool...unless you allow trades or waiver pick-ups/drops.

I would recommend a "snake style" draft order...ie. Round 1 goes: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and Round 2 goes backwards 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and then snake back again for Round 3.

If you want to do trades and waiver pick-ups I'd set up your pool in Yahoo so people can go on-line and manage the teams easier...it's pretty simple to set up if you do an on-line or off-line draft. It also calculates the stats automatically so you don't have to scour the papers every week to provide updates...like I used to do 17 years ago.

Here's the squad:

C - Sidney Crosby

C - Anze Kopitar

LW - Patrick Sharp

LW - Vaclav Prospal

RW - Marian Gaborik

RW - Shane Doan

D - Tomas Kaberle

D - Mathieu Schneider

D - Marek Zidlicky

D - Tobias Enstrom

BN - Daymond Langkow

BN - Kristian Huselius

BN - Mike Knuble

BN - Ruslan Salei

G - Marc-Andre Fleury

G - Cam Ward

How's it look to you guys? I'm pretty happy with the guys I got and that I managed to get Gaborik and Kopitar after Crosby and Fleury picking 2nd.

Here's the squad:

C - Sidney Crosby

C - Anze Kopitar

LW - Patrick Sharp

LW - Vaclav Prospal

RW - Marian Gaborik

RW - Shane Doan

D - Tomas Kaberle

D - Mathieu Schneider

D - Marek Zidlicky

D - Tobias Enstrom

BN - Daymond Langkow

BN - Kristian Huselius

BN - Mike Knuble

BN - Ruslan Salei

G - Marc-Andre Fleury

G - Cam Ward

How's it look to you guys? I'm pretty happy with the guys I got and that I managed to get Gaborik and Kopitar after Crosby and Fleury picking 2nd.

How many teams are in your pool and what's your scoring?

Did you have a salary cap?

How many teams are in your pool and what's your scoring?

Did you have a salary cap?

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, W, GAA, SV%, SHO

Rotisserie style, 12 teams.

I since joined another pool, this one points.

G (2), A (1), P (1), +/- (1), PIM (0.5), PPG (3), PPA (1), PPP (1.5), SHG (4), SHA (1), SHP (1), GWG (2), SOG (0.4), FW (0.5), W (4), GA (-1), SV (0.2), SHO (3)

I think this will be my winning team:

C - Derek Roy

C - Anze Kopitar

LW - Dany Heatly

LW - Zach Parise

RW - Daniel Alfredsson

RW - Marian Gaborik

D - Joe Corvo

D - Kimmo Timonen

D - Mathieu Schneider

D - Pavel Kubina

G - Roberto Luongo

G - Chris Osgood

BN - Andrei Kostitsyn

BN - Mike Modano

BN - Daniel Carcillo

BN - Ruslan Salei

BN - Nik Antropov

BN - Keith Tkachuk

BN - Chuck Kobasew

BN - Mats Sundin

BN - Christobal Huet

BN - Manny Legace

Lot's of bench warmers, I know. 10 teams here.

I was thinking of putting Carcillo in for Parise, just for the PIMs. What do you think?

Edited by ForumGhost

Hello,

I'm a pool organizer (for the 15 last years). I have tryed a lot of different ways, but the best one for me is 1 =1 meaning that 1 =goal is good for 1 point and 1 pass is also good for 1 point

For the Golies: 2 points for a victory in regular time, 1 point if a tie match (before shoot out) and 3 extra points if no goals allowed.

By the way, take a look at poolerkits.com for a great way to improve your pool. I have been using it for my last 3 pools.The method is easy to download and it's worth it.

Hope that this post will help you. feel free to ask more advise if necessary :)

We played with a 62,000,000$ salary cap, 12 forwards, 4 dmen and 1 goalie, 1 team as well. 14 participants, 40$ each.

My team in order of selection (was picked 9th oa (1 to 14, 14 to 1, etc) :

1. Vinny Lecavalier

2. Peter Mueller

3. Brian Campbell D

4. Thomas Plekanec

5. Mike Cammalleri

6. Brandon Morrow

7. Martin Biron G

8. Milan Hejduk

9. Wayde Redden Alexander Edler D

10. Dallas Stars T

11. Patrick Marleau

12. Colby Armstrong (money wise pick after choosing Hejduk, Redden and Marleau back to back...)

13. Christophe Schubert D

14. Travor Daley D

15. Michael Ryder

16. Ryan Smyth

17. Mikhail Grabovsky (yes i have Ryder AND Grabov)

18. Matt Sundin Mike Fisher

the strickethrough players resulted from a HUGE mistake i made when I was calculating my salaries. I thought I had 1.2M$ left for the last pick while I had 0,250M$ left. Had to pick Sundin and hope I could trade Redden if he would sign a decent contract. My plan was to finish with Grabovsky and Tlusty...

BUT, on sunday (pool was on saturday), without 6 beers in my blood, I decided to use 2 of my 3 allowed trades and pick Edler and Fisher instead of Redden and Sundin. I prefer playing with a full roster and hope for a SOLID season from Edler, Schubert and Daley.