The Kyle Wellwood appreciation thread!

Even back in junior there were problems with his conditioning and weight. Before and after Bulls games you would constantly see him eating chips and was always the last on the ice at practice and first off.

Like an article in the Gazette mentionned, Wellwood would be a shoe-in if this was the NHL 30 years ago, coming to training camp after a lazy summer, hoping to get back in game shape after a couple games. Unfortunately for Wellwood, things have changed, and players have become machines.

It used to be that the few players who worked really hard over the summer had a big edge over the others, now it is the norm. Not only it becomes hard to keep up, but his injuries in the past are probably a good indication that Wellwood doesn't take conditionning nearly as seriously as he should.

Ans people wondered why the Leafs let him go...

I think everybody is over reacting a tad bit. The article says he broke his foot in May and it typically takes 2 months to heal. Wellwood has only had 6 weeks in which he could train (possibly less if he broke it in late May). Sure you wouldnt want a guy with a gut on your hockey team but he really only has a ponch. Everybody seems to be making moutains out of mole hills.

I have no doubt Wellwood will have a good year as long as the Nucks play him. Dont forget the Laffs waived him Eh. Ya, the same team that signed McCabe to a billion $ NTC. When do the Laffs ever do anything smart. Wellwood didnt fit into their tanking for Tavares plans. :lol:

I think everybody is over reacting a tad bit. The article says he broke his foot in May and it typically takes 2 months to heal. Wellwood has only had 6 weeks in which he could train (possibly less if he broke it in late May). Sure you wouldnt want a guy with a gut on your hockey team but he really only has a ponch. Everybody seems to be making moutains out of mole hills.

I have no doubt Wellwood will have a good year as long as the Nucks play him. Dont forget the Laffs waived him Eh. Ya, the same team that signed McCabe to a billion $ NTC. When do the Laffs ever do anything smart. Wellwood didnt fit into their tanking for Tavares plans. :lol:

No, it's not a ponch...he's fat. No muscle definition and you can see that he's carrying fat everywhere, not just his gut.

I've broken my foot, he could at least be weight training and even riding a bike after just a 2-3 weeks...Wellwood has loads of skill and could still be a very good 2nd line C but he's got crap for brains and it seems he just doesn't care. Of course, this is always a possibility when he's getting paid some big bucks either way.

• 3 weeks later...
and he is now once again on waivers, remember it can all be gone so fast. If he wants to remain in the NHL apparently 8 lbs ain't gonna do it.

That's strange, I thought he had a pretty good training camp... at least statistically... and the Canucks are not actually loaded with offensive talent.

That's strange, I thought he had a pretty good training camp... at least statistically... and the Canucks are not actually loaded with offensive talent.

They're scoring at will so far this season... Having healthy D and a transition game has helped greatly in that aspect. I agree that Wellwood has talent, but I think his lack of work ethic stands out from the others.

They're scoring at will so far this season... Having healthy D and a transition game has helped greatly in that aspect. I agree that Wellwood has talent, but I think his lack of work ethic stands out from the others.

I agree, and he's not a player I would want on my team personally... but the Canucks can't be expected to score like this all season long...

I agree, and he's not a player I would want on my team personally... but the Canucks can't be expected to score like this all season long...

Yeh, not likely, but it's been fun to watch this far. And there's a bunch of players I'd take over Wellwood.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him pull a mini-Daigle and return at some point. He's too offensively talented for some talent-starved team to NOT take a chance on him again, if he starts to actually act like a professional.