Montreal Canadiens vs Detroit Red Wings

Athlétique.Canadien

You know they are NOT going to cut lats. And that is the only guy to cut because it doesn't make sense cutting Begin and putting PAC on line 4 and/or pressbox some nights.

If you don't put him on Lines 2 or 3, then he is being wasted and a year in Hamilton would be better for him. My choice would be cut Lats, open the door for MaxPac :huh:

Crazy Depth :hlogo:

Anyway here are my thoughts on the game:

Max- pretty speechless

Lang shootout goal- as slick as a backhand gets

Pierre actually said cut Lats

I hate Downey

Great game by Carey

O'byrne (as much as i like him) had an awful game

Gorges was a shot blocking machine as was Komi

Marky was missed on PP

Was Weber just a 1 shot wonder? Bad game

Diago was respectable

Sergie was flying

Crowd :clap::clap::clap: Greatest crowd in the league, hands down.

Boston is going to be a blood bath... Dress some toughness.

With all due respect, I thought Sergei stunk... as he has for all the pre-season (except maybe one game). I'm concerned ... there's something up with him. He could be the cut that lets MaxPac stay.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all due respect, I thought Sergei stunk... as he has for all the pre-season (except maybe one game). I'm concerned ... there's something up with him. He could be the cut that lets MaxPac stay.

I don't mind you disagreing with me.

Sergie may have had a bad game but just the pace the game was going influenced me to give Sergie some credit.

It will be interesting to see if he can have another good year.

In another thread it was said that both Lats and Laps have to clear waivers to be sent down.

I think anybody who says S.K. should be sent down is absolutely nutterz. Lil A.K started to take off last year when S.K. was brought up. The bros clearly have a strong sibling rivalry going on which drives them to always want to out do the other. This happens even wen they are on different lines. It would be crazy to split them up on different teams.

I always said that I wanted S.K. to play the full year last year and was thrilled to death when I heard they had brought him up. For the same reason I wanted S.K. to start the season last year is the exact same reason why MaxPac has to this year. Look at all the really competative teams now and you will notice a pattern on pretty much all of them. They all have multiple prospects who have bipassed the AHL entirely. Players who went straight from Junior to NHL or fastracked through college etc. This is highly required for several reasons. The game is faster in the new NHL and most of the older vets cant keep up to the kids. However the most important reason is that the kids only make $450-850K so it creates a lot of cap space so a team can actually aquire more and better UFAs. Too bad this isnt possible but in theory if the Habs could dump Begin, Dandy and 1 D (Brisbois or Bullion) and bring up MaxPac, Dagostini and Weber they would easily have been able pick up Schnieder and still pretty much have same cap room left as right now. Having 3 young kids can basically get any team 1 more quality journeyman vet. That line up would be sick.

Can Lats still go down without passing through waivers?

They said last night that Lats can be sent down without clearing waivers. He is something like 7 games under the cutoff.

That game last night was frigging amazing. The speed, the hits, the grit, the effort, the skill...An absolute joy to watch. Pacman was all over the place and is very impressive. Kovy set him up a couple of times with beauty passes. I like Chipchura a lot more than Lappierre. He looks to be an all around player, sort of like Higgins only not as good.

Lang looked like garbage, at least until the shootout.

Price was out of control. Positioning and lateral movement are amazing.

I can't wait for next week.

Edited by Prime Minister Koivu

What would you prefer? Begin-Lapierre-Kostopoulos or Pacioretty-Chipchura-Lapierre/Pacioretty-Lapierre-D'Agostini/Chipchura-Lapierre-Laraque/etc.

Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev

Higgins - Koivu - Tanguay

Latendresse - Lang - Kostitsyn

Pacioretty - Chipchura/Lapierre - Laraque/D'agostini

Dont that look extremely scary for an opposing defense?

Like others have said wouldn't it be a waste of time to put Patch on the 4th line? He needs to develop in Hamilton instead of 6 minutes a game in the NHL. His time will come. Man he was good. He's better then Latendresse that's for sure.

remember that after the first Latendresse awesome preseason, Lats got sent back down to juniors. I'm sure that was something of a hard decision.

In this case the decision is easier as Pacioretty can be sent to the far superior AHL. I really doubt he stays.

Some of you guys are going a little crazy here, Sk sent down? He is a top 6 forward, gritty, tough, excellent passer, sticks up for team mates, great speed. He would have 2 assists last night if players could finish his passes.

The difference between Lats and Pacioretty is a few things, weaker team for Lats, like it or not being french canadien changes people's outlook good or bad. Pacioretty is already a much more comlete player then lats, great speed, knows all 3 zones, Plays the PK, uses his body well.

I don't know if he will stay or go down but all this competition should be making some players nervous, Lats included. Trading someone is a possibiliy but playong Pacioretty on the 4th line doesn't make much sense.

Trading Lats for the same age prospect centre wouldn't be a bad idea (Shremo) example

O'Byrne was brutal last night, as were most of the other D, Gorges was the only solid player back there.

Alot of dumb penalties and turnovers, those need to start shrinking before the season starts, you can't be short handed all night,

Good effort, good hockey for a pre season game.

Has Higgins, Koivu, Laraque even played a game yet?

Pacioretty is the 2008 Latendresse. Fired up kid full of talent who wants to impressed everybody. Gets the same hype Lats got in his first and second camp. Calling for Lats to be cut is ludicrous and should be filed under "Things one blurts out when having an orgasm from seeing a great prospect perform well in preseason".

Agreed!

Yes, no, no!

What I liked about Pac over Lats is that Pacman has a more complete game and a ton of speed. Lats still looks to me like he can't keep up with the Habs attack, although on the 3rd or 4th line he fits in well. Pacman didn't just go to the net for some goals, but also showed much better overall play (good forecheck, back to defense, coming back hard, using his linemates).

It is true that one game doesn't make a player, but his progress is far above expectations. If they can keep him up for a few games it would be interesting.

Some of you guys are going a little crazy here, Sk sent down? He is a top 6 forward, gritty, tough, excellent passer, sticks up for team mates, great speed. He would have 2 assists last night if players could finish his passes.

The difference between Lats and Pacioretty is a few things, weaker team for Lats, like it or not being french canadien changes people's outlook good or bad. Pacioretty is already a much more comlete player then lats, great speed, knows all 3 zones, Plays the PK, uses his body well.

I don't know if he will stay or go down but all this competition should be making some players nervous, Lats included. Trading someone is a possibiliy but playong Pacioretty on the 4th line doesn't make much sense.

Trading Lats for the same age prospect centre wouldn't be a bad idea (Shremo) example

O'Byrne was brutal last night, as were most of the other D, Gorges was the only solid player back there.

Alot of dumb penalties and turnovers, those need to start shrinking before the season starts, you can't be short handed all night,

Good effort, good hockey for a pre season game.

I agree, I can't believe people are placing established NHLers positions on the line because of the results of pre-season games.

Sergei Kostitsyn did not just come up and barely crack the roster, you cannot judge a player's performance in the pre-season

based on 4-5 games and ignore the 50+ regular season and playoff games when everything was on the line.

Latendresse as well. The guy was hurt for the beginning of camp, did EVERYTHING that could be asked of him in terms of improving

fitness and working on his skating and because the new kid has looked good people want to dump him?

This is why BOB GAINEY RUNS THE TEAM and not fans.

I thought Boullion worth a mention. Solid physical effort!

remember that after the first Latendresse awesome preseason, Lats got sent back down to juniors. I'm sure that was something of a hard decision.

In this case the decision is easier as Pacioretty can be sent to the far superior AHL. I really doubt he stays.

There's a big difference between Latendresse's first training camps and Pacioretty's, Latendresse wasn't playing his true game during his first training camps - many Q observers including his coach mentionned that he didn't play the physical power-forward game during the regular season but rather a softer, almost finesse, offensive game - while Pacioretty is currently playing his game, just like he did in the USHL and the NCAA.

With that said, I still have high hopes for Latendresse (I'm not criticizing him), and I still believe that Pacioretty needs to go to Hamilton, where he'll have more time to work on his overall game, play regularly (including through his ups and downs), take on a leadership role (whether vocal on mostly on the ice), and become an even better player. He might ready now, but he'll be an even bigger force in 2-3 months from now. We can afford to let him develop properly, and we should take that opportunity.

There's a big difference between Latendresse's first training camps and Pacioretty's, Latendresse wasn't playing his true game during his first training camps - many Q observers including his coach mentionned that he didn't play the physical power-forward game during the regular season but rather a softer, almost finesse, offensive game - while Pacioretty is currently playing his game, just like he did in the USHL and the NCAA.

With that said, I still have high hopes for Latendresse (I'm not criticizing him), and I still believe that Pacioretty needs to go to Hamilton, where he'll have more time to work on his overall game, play regularly (including through his ups and downs), take on a leadership role (whether vocal on mostly on the ice), and become an even better player. He might ready now, but he'll be an even bigger force in 2-3 months from now. We can afford to let him develop properly, and we should take that opportunity.

ala Sergei Kostitysn last year.

Let him go down and dominate down there. Then bring him up mid season when you know what you have on both levels.

Concering Pacioretty, and it is a Italian name, his

father is Italian and his mother is both Italian/Mexican,

the last name was changed from an I ending, to a Y.

Only in America !!!!

If he's good enough to play on your top 3 lines, then

you might want to trade someone to make it happen.

We're blessed with depth on wing, maybe we might

use some of that depth to upgrade another position

we're weaker at?

I've seen Pacioretty, he's last years S.Kostitsyn or

Latendresse the previous year. He's a player you

make room for.

Just my opinions, but I think I'm right. :lol:

I can't believe people are placing established NHLers positions on the line because of the results of pre-season games.

Sergei Kostitsyn did not just come up and barely crack the roster, you cannot judge a player's performance in the pre-season

based on 4-5 games and ignore the 50+ regular season and playoff games when everything was on the line.

Latendresse as well. The guy was hurt for the beginning of camp, did EVERYTHING that could be asked of him in terms of improving

fitness and working on his skating and because the new kid has looked good people want to dump him?

Agreed! Luckily Bob is in charge of this team and not some short-sighted fans! Paccioretty has ahd an impressive training camp, but let's give him time to work on his defensive game and also give him time to get used to a LOOONNNGGGG season. The kid is used to playing 36 game seasons. In the AHL he will play twice that number, and he can come to Montreal in 09-10 and stay with the big club!

Agreed! Luckily Bob is in charge of this team and not some short-sighted fans! Paccioretty has ahd an impressive training camp, but let's give him time to work on his defensive game and also give him time to get used to a LOOONNNGGGG season. The kid is used to playing 36 game seasons. In the AHL he will play twice that number, and he can come to Montreal in 09-10 and stay with the big club!

Weber had an impressive training camp.

Pacioretty was amongst our best forwards in

every game he played.

Thats a huge difference, IMHO !!!

I agree, I can't believe people are placing established NHLers positions on the line because of the results of pre-season games.

:clap::clap::clap:

Amen brother.

In publicity & advertisement, there's a time-tested trick to sell something: call it "New". You slap "New" on a product and it'll sell. Because masses automatically assume that "New" means "Better" or "Improved".

This is the case here. Because Pacioretty is new, all in a sudden the masses are ready to thrust him on a top line over players who established themselves. "Hey, Pac is new, he must be better"...

Yeah, and Vista was also new compared than XP...

Nothing wrong with being excited by the new kid. But wanting to put him ahead of Lats or Lil Kost reeks of teenage crush.

:clap::clap::clap:

Amen brother.

In publicity & advertisement, there's a time-tested trick to sell something: call it "New". You slap "New" on a product and it'll sell. Because masses automatically assume that "New" means "Better" or "Improved".

This is the case here. Because Pacioretty is new, all in a sudden the masses are ready to thrust him on a top line over players who established themselves. "Hey, Pac is new, he must be better"...

Yeah, and Vista was also new compared than XP...

Nothing wrong with being excited by the new kid. But wanting to put him ahead of Lats or Lil Kost reeks of teenage crush.

Fully agree with you, there is no reason at this point to remove either Latendresse or S.Kostsitsyn from the lineup. However, Latendresse needs to step up, and become more than the marginal depth player he's been so far with the Canadiens. We all know about his potential, but despite his consecutive 16-goal seasons on paper, he's shown very little on the ice over the last 2 years to indicate that he can be an effective top liner , or even an effective forth liner.

He needs to start fulfilling his potential because if Pacioretty dominates in Hamilton, and forces his way up, Latendresse could be the one getting the axe.

However, Latendresse needs to step up, and become more than the marginal depth player he's been so far with the Canadiens. We all know about his potential, but despite his consecutive 16-goal seasons on paper, he's shown very little on the ice over the last 2 years to indicate that he can be an effective top liner , or even an effective forth liner.

Jeez, the bad faith on some of you...

:rolleyes:

Name ONE other 4th liner in the league who:

1. - scored 16 goals (optionnal: 16 goals twice before they reached 21 yrs old)...
  2. - AND was 4th on his team in even-strength goals...
  3. - AND lead all forwards in hits on his team...
  4. - DESPITE playing no more than 12 mins per game.

A young winger who hits and can score goals without PP time can't be an effective 4th liner? Are you kidding me?

Jeez, the bad faith on some of you...

:rolleyes:

Name ONE other 4th liner in the league who:

1. - scored 16 goals (optionnal: 16 goals twice before they reached 21 yrs old)...
  2. - AND was 4th on his team in even-strength goals...
  3. - AND lead all forwards in hits on his team...
  4. - DESPITE playing no more than 12 mins per game.
When you do that, then you can say that Lats "can't be an effective 4th liner"...

I agree, let's not forget that his +/- also improved by almost 15 pts. I think that if he's given time on the 2nd PP unit, the guy can definitely hit 20-25 goals

I agree, let's not forget that his +/- also improved by almost 15 pts. I think that if he's given time on the 2nd PP unit, the guy can definitely hit 20-25 goals

His +/- at home was actually better than AKost...

Every once in a while a player like Pacioretty

comes along.

And, you want him to play in the AHL?

I don't get it, and don't tell me he needs seasoning,

he's already better than our top 6 wings.

Are you guys blind or just ignorant, either that

or my eye-sight is worse than I thought it was? :lol:

And I never thought the same way about either

Latendresse or S.Kostitsyn as I do about Pacioretty.

The kids a keeper :hlogo:

Every once in a while a player like Pacioretty

comes along.

And, you want him to play in the AHL?

I don't get it, and don't tell me he needs seasoning,

he's already better than our top 6 wings.

Are you guys blind or just ignorant, either that

or my eye-sight is worse than I thought it was? :lol:

And I never thought the same way about either

Latendresse or S.Kostitsyn as I do about Pacioretty.

The kids a keeper :hlogo:

Latendresse was by far our Best player in the 2 pre-seasons b4 he made the NHL. He was physically dominant and was scoring goals left and right. A year or two in the AHL might have given him time to work on his skating and confidence b4 making the jump. Now, if Latendresse had a good year this year, he'll cost more money to resign as he'll be a 3 year vet. Let's not make the same mistake with Pacioretty

Edited by markierung