MLB 2008 Postseason

MMPL

Red Sox and Braves. And anywhere Greg Maddux plays.

The days of Maddux/Smoltz/Glavine were something else :clap:

Edited by MMPL

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

2 strikeouts from Paps to close it out. 7 strong innings from Lester. Clutch insurance added in the 9th. A home run from the newest Sawk to give us a lead we wouldn't relinquish.

Great game.

The days of Maddux/Smoltz/Glavine were something else :clap:

Why I became a fan of the Braves. Well, that and the Tomahawk Chop which I did most enthusiastically in bars in Toronto back during the World Series so long ago. I wasn't particularly popular...

Honestly, I'm a fan of great, consistent pitchers. With a little luck and some timely hitting from teammates, any good pitcher can have a really good season. It's guys like Maddux who, year in and year out, produce some outstanding quality that really gets me pumped. I'm also a fan of guys who actually know how to PITCH as opposed to hurling the ball as hard as they can. No doubt, heavy hurlers are great to have, but mastery of the ball? Lost art. Maddux never tossed fastballs with zip, but every pitched moved. A lot. He paints corners of the plate. Just a joy to watch him work. Shame he's on the tailing end of his career, but every once in a while he tosses one of those games where he's nigh-on untouchable.

Course, since I don't follow the game much anymore (lost interest when Alomar spit on an Ump and didn't get penalized for the playoffs, but next season - complete disrespect which was allowed) but if anyone can point me in the direction of a few more really good control pitchers, that'd be great. Those are the only games worth watching to me. A homer is a homer (unless you watch Ken Griffey Jr's swing - is that art or what??) but quality pitching? That's where the game is at for me.

If Dice can pitch as well as his stats say he can, we should be fine.

You think JD Drew plays? (Crisp has played well lately, and Kotsay can play right)

This year Casey has only 69 plate appearences. Hitting a solid .322

Kotsay has 436 plate appearences, batting a respectable .276

If Casey was a regular I would expect his batting numbers to be similar to Kotsay. But Mark is a better fielder so I'd give it to Mark.

It's just an opinion, and maybe I'm biased because Casey's weird batting stance throws me off (but then again look at Youk)

Edited by MMPL

And better hitter in my opinion.

If Casey was a regular I would expect his batting numbers to be similar to Kotsay. But Mark is a better fielder so I'd give it to Mark.

It's just an opinion, and maybe I'm biased because Casey's weird batting stance throws me off (but then again look at Youk)

jesus... stop only using batting average... please.

Casey gets on base a lot more than Kotsay and over his career has only slightly lower slugging percentage. This season (and especially late in the season), Casey has been right up there with (or past) Kotsay as far as slugging is concerned. On base percentage is much more important than slugging, so you have to give the clear edge to Casey.

If you want to talk about small sample sizes - Kotsay is a .226/.286/.345 with the Sox. Lugo hits better than that. If you ant to talk about big sample sizes, in his last full season (last year) Casey had a .353 OBP.

jesus... stop only using batting average... please.

Casey gets on base a lot more than Kotsay and over his career has only slightly lower slugging percentage. This season (and especially late in the season), Casey has been right up there with (or past) Kotsay as far as slugging is concerned. On base percentage is much more important than slugging, so you have to give the clear edge to Casey.

If you want to talk about small sample sizes - Kotsay is a .226/.286/.345 with the Sox. Lugo hits better than that. If you ant to talk about big sample sizes, in his last full season (last year) Casey had a .353 OBP.

New theory...

Lowell--> Out Youk takes his place at 3rd

1st base then belongs to Ortiz

DH then belongs to Crisp as he is more valuable at the plate than Casey and Kotsay

(I know Terry won't use this lineup but I'm just throwing it out there)

Casey gets on base a lot more than Kotsay and over his career has only slightly lower slugging percentage.

Actually, as the stats I posted indicate, Casey's career slugging percentage is 30 points higher than Kotsay's.

Dude, your stats aren't even correct. Casey had over 200 plate appearances this season.

As for defense, Casey may not get to as many balls, but he's a better 1st baseman than Kotsay. What Casey lacks in mobility, he more than makes up for with consistency. Casey's career fielding percentage is .995. On top of that, Casey has spent his entire career at 1st, Kotsay has only played 34 games there his entire career.

Kotsay's fielding numbers at first stink though (even Papi has a better career fielding %) , I'd rather see Casey play at first if Lowell can't go.

Ortiz hasn't touched first in over a year too, the DH spot needs to stay with him. I don't want to all of a sudden throw him out there at the most important time of the year. He can play first in the WS but thats it (and if Lowell is healthy, I'd probably prefer Youk's bat).

Dude, your stats aren't even correct. Casey had over 200 plate appearances this season.

:huh:

My bad

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Too bad Brewers are losing.

Lidge will shut it down :(

Edited by MMPL

i know i might get in trouble for this, but screw lou

Really, not a Lou fan. I find crazy coaches/managers funny and interestin.

Ozzie Guillen, Lou, Tortorella (sp) all fall under that category.

Really, not a Lou fan. I find crazy coaches/managers funny and interestin.

Ozzie Guillen, Lou, Tortorella (sp) all fall under that category.

I generally prefer calm managers (I have definitely liked Carbo more as he has become a bit more reserved) and I HATE managers that over-insinuate themselves into the game by calling for (what I consider) gimmick strategies. Ozzie has gotten a little better about that. Lou has not.