2008-09 NHL Season Thread

but his he worthy of franchise player money ??

Considering he's already a franchise player, yes.

He'll be our next captain as early as next season. It seems like only Avs fans know how good this kid really is. He's struggling right now but so is our entire offense. He's got 164 points in 164 games, was on pace for a 90 point season last year until injuries hit and was the only Avalanche named to the all-star team last year (didn't play though because of his spleen) and without Malkin would've been the runaway Calder winner in 2007.

This is a great deal.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering he's already a franchise player, yes.

He'll be our next captain as early as next season. It seems like only Avs fans know how good this kid really is. He's struggling right now but so is our entire offense. He's got 164 points in 164 games, was on pace for a 90 point season last year until injuries hit and was the only Avalanche named to the all-star team last year (didn't play though because of his spleen) and without Malkin would've been the runaway Calder winner in 2007.

This is a great deal.

so hes good for 82 pts per season..thats worth 6.6 M ??

so hes good for 82 pts per season..thats worth 6.6 M ??

Oh give me a break, he's only a quarter of a way into his third season. This contract is right in line with the rest of the league (and a bit of a bargain compared to other players). He'll break 100 points a few times, no doubt about it. Most of the NHL "experts" have already recognized Staz as an elite player.

Oh give me a break, he's only a quarter of a way into his third season. This contract is right in line with the rest of the league (and a bit of a bargain compared to other players). He'll break 100 points a few times, no doubt about it. Most of the NHL "experts" have already recognized Staz as an elite player.

I agree he's a great player but he's no malkin or lecavalier.

I agree he's a great player but he's no malkin or lecavalier.

No and thats why Malkin is getting 9 mil a year. He's going to be as good as Lecavalier though very, very soon. You could argue he's just as good now. If Paul doesn't run into that spleen injury last season, he puts up the same numbers as Lecavalier. The difference is Lecavalier is in his prime at 28 while Staz is just a kid at 21 meaning he's going to get better. Much better.

Look at other guys around the league. You've got Richards earning 7.8, Drury earning 7, Gomez earning 7.5, Vanek earning 7 Staz is better then all of them not only in production but just overall skill.

No and thats why Malkin is getting 9 mil a year. He's going to be as good as Lecavalier though very, very soon. You could argue he's just as good now. If Paul doesn't run into that spleen injury last season, he puts up the same numbers as Lecavalier. The difference is Lecavalier is in his prime at 28 while Staz is just a kid at 21 meaning he's going to get better. Much better.

Look at other guys around the league. You've got Richards earning 7.8, Drury earning 7, Gomez earning 7.5, Vanek earning 7 Staz is better then all of them not only in production but just overall skill.

all 4 of them weren't great signings.

the difference is that these players got the money on point production after many years( excep for vanek) while stastny gets his money on prediction. I will give you that he should reach expectations.

Richards was an conn smythe winner. hans't lived up to his contract.

Drury, one of the greatest 2 way players ever( overpaid IMO)..stanley cup winner

Gomez stanley cup winner. above average player. over paid... but its the Rangers...

Vanek is another case since lowe made him a bonehead offer sheet. not deserving his money...yet.

all 4 of them weren't great signings.

the difference is that these players got the money on point production after many years( excep for vanek) while stastny gets his money on prediction. I will give you that he should reach expectations.

Richards was an conn smythe winner. hans't lived up to his contract.

Drury, one of the greatest 2 way players ever( overpaid IMO)..stanley cup winner

Gomez stanley cup winner. above average player. over paid... but its the Rangers...

Vanek is another case since lowe made him a bonehead offer sheet. not deserving his money...yet.

It doesn't matter if they were good signings or not, the fact is someone out there was willing to pay them that much based on their past production. Vanek is extremely relevant because if we let Staz get to the RFA market, another team would've been all over him with a 7mil+ offer.

Fine, you want to talk future guys then why not talk about Phanuef or Kopitar? Same level of elite player with the same upside getting the same amount of money. Colorado had to re-sign their best player (thats right, our best player) and did so at market value.

I'm curious how much you've actually seen Stastny play to say this is too much. He's not going to get on highlight reels because he's not a flashy player. However at the age of 21, he's a PPG player. How is that not elite?

Last case: http://forums.coloradoavalanche.com/index....showtopic=43077

Look how many people say the deal is perfect in the poll. And thats based on people who watch him night in and night out. You're either crazy or don't see him enough to think this is a bad deal.

Fine, you want to talk future guys then why not talk about Phanuef or Kopitar? Same level of elite player with the same upside getting the same amount of money. Colorado had to re-sign their best player (thats right, our best player) and did so at market value.

I'm curious how much you've actually seen Stastny play to say this is too much. He's not going to get on highlight reels because he's not a flashy player. However at the age of 21, he's a PPG player. How is that not elite?

Last case: http://forums.coloradoavalanche.com/index....showtopic=43077

Look how many people say the deal is perfect in the poll. And thats based on people who watch him night in and night out. You're either crazy or don't see him enough to think this is a bad deal.

hahaha I like how you take it personnaly !! :lol:

geez what will it be on monday when you horse will be defeated by my bird !!