Oct. 11/08 | Habs vs. Maple Leafs | Game Thread

Habsfan84

Well...i yelled go habs go for all i was worth...despite coming down with a cold;

I cheered as hard as i could until the final horn...and I got some great ole chants going post-game!!!

A few things from the game: Live

1-Koivus line got too much icetime...Kovys has to stay on the number one PP unit!!

2-Koivu-Lang-Kovalev (LD) tanguay (RD) markov should be our first PP unit

3-Tanguay looked solid on the PP; seemed like hes found line chemistry with saks

4- Halak played wonderful....give him the nod anytime we play back to back nights

5-Chips participated in warmup but didn't play :wacko:

6-Obyrne played a lot better than last night in buffalo (as I also was there live)

7- Collective effort to remain disciplined and stay out of the box

:hlogo:

You sure picked a good one to go to!

I agree that O'byrne played better, but he still needs to be smarter with and without the puck

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember last year when the team was ahead by 3 or 4 goals, they would try to slow the game down, and we would end up giving them a come back. It happened several times. This team has to stay on the gas. Respect or no respect

That's the part people used to whine the most about, and he worked on it.

What will really set him apart though is his skills with the puck. Beautiful cross-ice pass to Hamrlik for a goal; and great shot on a feed by Koivu.

Notice: both plays happened when Lats was on the right half of the rink. I'll always maintain my position that Lats is more dangerous on the right-wing than the left.

I agree. I almost wonder if it wouldn't be better to have Lats stay on the 2nd and Higgins play with Lang. Lang has good finish and Sergie and Higgins could work hard to feed him as well as shoot. As far as Lat's skating, I have seen a vast improvement this year.

That was so much fun to watch!

I agree with those that have suggested Higgins on the Lang line. Tangs, Koivu and Lats were really on fire.

Joseph made some amazing saves in the third or this would of been a 10-1 game.

If we see this kind of result in Philly I will be one happy fan :clap:

That was so much fun to watch!

I agree with those that have suggested Higgins on the Lang line. Tangs, Koivu and Lats were really on fire.

Joseph made some amazing saves in the third or this would of been a 10-1 game.

If we see this kind of result in Philly I will be one happy fan :clap:

Don't know about that, Higgins & Koivu also have chemistry....with Tanguay, it might actually be Line 1b once they gel.................Tender did have a very good game, and I do like him on the PP at times in front of their net (apparently he's been studying game film of Holmstrom)

To further complicate matters, I've watched both games, and Tommy K. has just been awesome playing w/Lang & SK.....his hustle & forecheck has given Lang the time & room (which he needs) to make plays........Dropping him down to the 4th line when Higgins returns is inevitable, but .................boy, I like our team!!!

Whoever it was that got into that midseason spat with Spidey should go kiss his butt!

He is and has been missed, and his threads should not be hijcked by this sites users in the future. He puts alot of work into them and stopped posting here for a reason!

Ya it really does suck that Spidey had to leave here because of some ###### atacking him for no reason. I sure do miss him and now we really have no body to make our game threads.

In response to your opinion of Hijacking his threads i have been in contact with him on another forum and i told him that i used his Toronto Game thread. I asked him if i could use his threads in the Future and he said that he would rather I not because of the way he was treated over here.

I am currently in contact with someone from another Forum to see if i could use his game threads in the Future for Habsworld.

Edited by Fanpuck33
Removed language

Ya it really does suck that Spidey had to leave here because of some ###### atacking him for no reason. I sure do miss him and now we really have no body to make our game threads.

Nobody attacked him, I think he was going on about Price was mediocre and hadn't proven anything to anyone. Obviously, he's going to get a lot of people disagreeing with him for saying that about someone who had such an impressive season.

Don't know about that, Higgins & Koivu also have chemistry....with Tanguay, it might actually be Line 1b once they gel.................Tender did have a very good game, and I do like him on the PP at times in front of their net (apparently he's been studying game film of Holmstrom)

To further complicate matters, I've watched both games, and Tommy K. has just been awesome playing w/Lang & SK.....his hustle & forecheck has given Lang the time & room (which he needs) to make plays........Dropping him down to the 4th line when Higgins returns is inevitable, but .................boy, I like our team!!!

Yes, Kostopoulos was fantastic, he's probably the best fourth liner we've had in a decade or more (better than Begin in the 05-06 season) and I expect us to re-sign him after the season. When you play such a quick brand of hockey, your grinders have to be quick and aggressive as well, that's why I love having him out on the fourth line with Begin, Lapierre and even Dandenault.

Carbo isn't one to break up successful lines, it looks like Latendresse is going to stay on the top line for now and Higgins will be on the third line with Lang and Sergei. That's amazing, all we could really use is another shutdown defenceman; every game about 3-5 times, there's a quick moment in our zone where the entire team stops and gets lost and nobody's in the right place. A perfect example would be on Antropov's non-goal (I would have called it a goal but it would have been a meaningless one, so no big deal), we let the Leafs pass through our D.

Also - once again, Gorges is the man. He's hardly noticeable, but like Kostopoulos, I think he's one of the most underrated players we've had in years.

Nobody attacked him, I think he was going on about Price was mediocre and hadn't proven anything to anyone. Obviously, he's going to get a lot of people disagreeing with him for saying that about someone who had such an impressive season.

Thats all. Then i dont know why he'd leave here just because of that.

Yes, Kostopoulos was fantastic, he's probably the best fourth liner we've had in a decade or more (better than Begin in the 05-06 season) and I expect us to re-sign him after the season.

When you play such a quick brand of hockey, your grinders have to be quick and aggressive as well.

Also - once again, Gorges is the man. He's hardly noticeable, but like Kostopoulos, I think he's one of the most underrated players we've had in years.

Thank you very much BTH. Your spot on about TK. A lot of people get excited about the fancy players on our team but tend to overlook other ingredients which are needed in order to have a successful team. I'm gonna take the liberty to re-post something which i wrote a couple of weeks ago.....

Listen,

I know I'm a little bit biased cause he's Greek, but Kostopoulos has a lot of attributes that every successful winning team needs.

A) He doesn't complain, doesn't need to play a lot of minutes, or dress every game

B) He'll lay his body in front of a truck if he has to

C) He's cheap

D) Will stand up for his teammates even when they do something foolish like steal a purse..

Yet his most important intangible is that he has the heart of lion. And he proved it time and time again last year. Just remember that when a lot of his teammates were turtleing during the Playoffs, he wore his heart on his sleeve.

Every successful team needs at least one player like this. Look at Detroit's success. You think Detroit doesn't have better players/prospects than Chris Chelios and Sandy McCarthy? They do, but Detroit has understood what these guys bring to the team. I know it's a little ludicrous to compare McCarthy and Chelios to Kostopoulos since they don't quite add up, however they are players whom teammates feed positive energy off of.

If the Habs expect to contend for the Cup (and trust me they will), they have to find players who can do this. (and by this I mean bring positive energy, lead by example, speak from experience, take a bullet for the team etc.) Unfortunately, they don't have one person who brings all these attributes to the table. However they have the likes of Begin and Kostopoulos who bring heart, energy and teamspirit. You think they needed to sign Brisebois? No way in hell. They could have used one of the many defensive prospects which would have been a cheaper and wiser investment. They kept him on board because Brisebois has certain intangibles which are necessary for the Habs. He's a proud French Canadien who understands the significance of winning a Cup in Montreal. Some could argue that Carbonneau could fill that role as well, however, as a teammate it is sometimes easier to relate to a teammate than a coach. Consider Brisebois a mentor to the younger players, especially Latendresse and Lapierre.

Bottom line is that although I think it's great to have a team filled with talented players throughout the ranks, it is still important to hold a proper balance. These intanbigles are NOT EASILY REPLACED! And on a team with very talented players, they become even more necessary and useful.

:hlogo:

Ya it really does suck that Spidey had to leave here because of some faggot atacking him for no reason. I sure do miss him and now we really have no body to make our game threads.

In response to your opinion of Hijacking his threads i have been in contact with him on another forum and i told him that i used his Toronto Game thread. I asked him if i could use his threads in the Future and he said that he would rather I not because of the way he was treated over here.

I am currently in contact with someone from another Forum to see if i could use his game threads in the Future for Habsworld.

game threads original posts are irrelevant. Your homophobia is embarrassing.

Thats all. Then i dont know why he'd leave here just because of that.

He left because he was a self-important @$$ who thought his shit didnt stink just because he's made it a specialty of starting the same exact game threads on every Habs board the Internet has to offer. We dont need him or his groupies.

Case closed.

I agree about Tommy K. This guy has really grown on me over the past year. He is like Stevie B., except he doesn't get injured as often. Tommy K and Stevie B. are the types of players every team needs on their 4th lines. Good grinders, who aren't afraid to get their noses dirty, aren't afraid to throw themselves infront of shots, and aren't gonna cause any problems in the dressing room.

I hope we'll be able to resign both of them, but i know one of them will most probably leave after this year. Maybe if we finally trade Dandeneault, we'll be able to keep'em both next year???

I agree about Tommy K. This guy has really grown on me over the past year. He is like Stevie B., except he doesn't get injured as often. Tommy K and Stevie B. are the types of players every team needs on their 4th lines. Good grinders, who aren't afraid to get their noses dirty, aren't afraid to throw themselves infront of shots, and aren't gonna cause any problems in the dressing room.

Both really showed their worth in the last playoffs. Guys like them are a pain on the forecheck because they've got speed and throw their bodies around with reckless abandon.

Thing is, however, that with the added experience up front and the talent in the pipeline, guys like Begin & Kosto will eventually be replaced with guys like Chips, Pacioretty & Co.

How did you guys like Lapierre work. I know this kid works hard, but he doesnt get me excited at all. He's a mediocre jack of all trade centre, yet in my mind he's better on the wing...

I think i judge him too hard but still...he leaves me indifferent even for a quebecer...kinda like Dandenault

How did you guys like Lapierre work. I know this kid works hard, but he doesnt get me excited at all. He's a mediocre jack of all trade centre, yet in my mind he's better on the wing...

I think i judge him too hard but still...he leaves me indifferent even for a quebecer...kinda like Dandenault

I feel the same way...I don't think he's good at much of anything. Not physical enough to be a true grinder, not tough enough to be a really good pest.

I agree that LaPierre hasn't done much this year to impress me, but I'm willing to be patient with him. He did add 15 ponds of muscle over the summer, and hopefully it will serve him well!

He left because he was a self-important @$$ who thought his shit didnt stink just because he's made it a specialty of starting the same exact game threads on every Habs board the Internet has to offer. We dont need him or his groupies.

Case closed.

Dude, i find that you are a little harsh with Spidey! He was a good guy!

Edited by Habsfan

Found a good joke when I was perusing the press articles about last night's game:

Q & A from Health Canada

Q: The Stanley Cup was recently on tour in my town, and I kissed it. Do I have to worry about being infected by listeria?

A: You are safe. The Stanley Cup has not been in contact with any Maple Leaf product in over 40 years.

:lol:

Edited by sbhatt

Found a good joke when I was perusing the press articles about last night's game:

Q & A from Health Canada

Q: The Stanley Cup was recently on tour in my town, and I kissed it. Do I have to worry about being infected by listeria?

A: You are safe. The Stanley Cup has not been in contact with any Maple Leaf product in over 40 years.

:lol:

BEST JOKE EVER

For some reason he seem to play much better when paired with Latendresse. I'd like to see Carbo giving it a shot sometimes.

But right now he's just.. they're. Not doing any glaring mistakes but he wont be the one who make us win, either. For a 4th liner, I guess thats alright.