Habs @ Flyers | Game Thread

Fanpuck33

I only caught the third period, which was fun. Very sloppy play on both sides, and we have Upshall to thank for that boneheaded play on Komi's goal. We didn't really dominate the period as much the score would indicate; Philly missed some open nets and easy chances, we were lucky in that regard. Price was solid, and I think he's just getting comfortable at this point and will improve as the season progresses. He definitely outplayed Biron in this one, which should usually be enough for our team to beat theirs.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Philly missed some open nets and easy chances, we were lucky in that regard.

To be fair, we hitted 2 posts as well (Kovy and I dont remenber who else)

If i can say anything, im getting more and more impressed so far with Lang and Tanguay... Remember they come from the western league which play a totally different playstyle yet are adapting very well. I sort of expected alot from Tanguay ( so he doesnt get a point every game, but you see him working the plays ) but Lang is just blowing me away. Lang is always there up front and i think that is someone who Montreal has been missing for a long time, someone who isnt affraid to get infront of the net and fight for those " Garbage Goals ". So it doesnt make the highlights, but it gives you the two points, and for me someone like that is hella appreciated in my book.

True enough. Pouliot and Brule were supposed to be the 2 best French players available at the original position that the Habs were supposed to draft in. However the Habs lucked right out that year and actually moved up the maximum amount possible in the draft lottery. There were really 2 winners in that draft lottery. :D

The Habs probably didnt give it much thought of who to pick at 5th overall because they would have never expected moving that far ahead in the draft lottery. They might have been forced to select Price because they might not have known that much aboot anybody else at the higher positions because they never thought they would be able to pick from them. It probably caught them off guard drafting that high that year.

I consider Roy to be a lot better goalie than Hasek. I have seen Roy make way more real saves than Hasek and Roy with less snow angel saves than Hasek.

I hope S.K. keeps it up. Its starting to look like S.K. might be the Habs Datsyuk/Zetterburg late round jem of a find and was an absolute steal drafting him in the 7th rnd 200th overall. :wacko:

Lil A.K. should start tearing it up soon I imagine because S.K. is making a machery of him if he doesnt turn it up a notch. I'm sure he doesnt want his lil bro razzing him aboot it.

The Habs probably didnt give it much thought of who to pick at 5th overall because they would have never expected moving that far ahead in the draft lottery. They might have been forced to select Price because they might not have known that much aboot anybody else at the higher positions because they never thought they would be able to pick from them. It probably caught them off guard drafting that high that year.

I consider Roy to be a lot better goalie than Hasek. I have seen Roy make way more real saves than Hasek and Roy with less snow angel saves than Hasek.

I would disagree with every words in bold. I just can't believe that professional scouts would not scout every players they think would fit with the team, and obviously, every players between 1 and 100 oa have to be scouted.

I would agree with every words that are not in bold. Roy is the King !

I would disagree with every words in bold. I just can't believe that professional scouts would not scout every players they think would fit with the team, and obviously, every players between 1 and 100 oa have to be scouted.

I would agree with every words that are not in bold. Roy is the King !

Gainey said they took the top guy left on their board. Pouliot was ahead of Price, but

once he was gone Price was in the number one slot.

THANK GOD FOR MINNESOTA'S MISTAKE

Gainey said they took the top guy left on their board. Pouliot was ahead of Price, but

No kidding.

Also, thank God for us putting Price so high ^_^

Pouliot has been a late bloomer his entire career at every level, his slow progress should suprise no one.

Price making the NHL so soon was not expected by anyone let alone the Habs brass. The average time for a goalie from draft day to NHL is around 5 years so Gainey looks like a God right now. Even still, when Pouliot fully develops he still could be the better pick (in a few more years.)

Pouliot has been a late bloomer his entire career at every level, his slow progress should suprise no one.

Price making the NHL so soon was not expected by anyone let alone the Habs brass. The average time for a goalie from draft day to NHL is around 5 years so Gainey looks like a God right now. Even still, when Pouliot fully develops he still could be the better pick (in a few more years.)

I'll take that bet, I highly doubt the Habs will regret taking Price over Benoit Pouliot.

No team has the time or the resources to scout every available player at any and all draft positions to be able to make the best decision for any given pick. Dont forget that there is a general consenus as to who should be picked where and every team doesnt need to scout this out for themselves. That simply isnt possible.

For example I highly dont think Timmins or any of his underlings have scouted Tavares at all. Theres no real point because the Habs wont be in the bottom 5 teams and if they do miraculously win the lottery and get 1st overall (2% chance) they will just go with the general consenus and pick Tavares.

Also dont forget that the Habs dont pick like you said at all. The Habs pick the best player at that draft position, not the best player at that position that they actually need or the Habs wouldnt have Price. Like the Habs needed a goalie. That was why the entire room gasped in shock when Bob announced they were picking Price and Pierre McGuire made his infamous racial slur slip of it "being right off the reservation". :lol:

I'll take that bet, I highly doubt the Habs will regret taking Price over Benoit Pouliot.

Yep, for sure. The only player that I might argue the Habs should have drafted instead of Price would be Kopitar. Thats it. Kopitar fits the bill almost perfectly for the big power Centerman that the Habs have needed pretty much since 93.

I do think that the Habs should actually start drafting the best players who they need instead of just best player at that draft position. It would really make more sense because the Habs have had the same needs for a long time and nobody is interested in just handing over the Habs another Cup. Instead of looking for a non existing trade partner just draft what you need yourself.

No team has the time or the resources to scout every available player at any and all draft positions to be able to make the best decision for any given pick. Dont forget that there is a general consenus as to who should be picked where and every team doesnt need to scout this out for themselves. That simply isnt possible.

For example I highly dont think Timmins or any of his underlings have scouted Tavares at all. Theres no real point because the Habs wont be in the bottom 5 teams and if they do miraculously win the lottery and get 1st overall (2% chance) they will just go with the general consenus and pick Tavares.

Also dont forget that the Habs dont pick like you said at all. The Habs pick the best player at that draft position, not the best player at that position that they actually need or the Habs wouldnt have Price. Like the Habs needed a goalie. That was why the entire room gasped in shock when Bob announced they were picking Price and Pierre McGuire made his infamous racial slur slip of it "being right off the reservation". :lol:

I will not believe that until Timmins himself says that his scouts team didn't scouted AND met : Brule, Pouliot, Ryan, Price, J. Johnson, Skille, Kopitar, Bourdon and Brian Lee.

What I liked most about this game.....every line scored a goal......IN THE THIRD PERIOD!!

Really? I hadn't noticed! ( guess the Hamrlik goal was scored while the Plex line was on the ice!)

True enough. Pouliot and Brule were supposed to be the 2 best French players available at the original position that the Habs were supposed to draft in. However the Habs lucked right out that year and actually moved up the maximum amount possible in the draft lottery. There were really 2 winners in that draft lottery. :D

By the way, neither Pouliot nor Brule are francophones.

Yep, for sure. The only player that I might argue the Habs should have drafted instead of Price would be Kopitar. Thats it. Kopitar fits the bill almost perfectly for the big power Centerman that the Habs have needed pretty much since 93.

And still, I doubt the Canadiens regret selecting Carey Price even over Kopitar. Kopitar can become a very good star offensive centre in the NHL if he improves his overall game, however Price can become an elite goaltender; not only are such goaltenders much harder to find, but they play the position that has the most impact during a game.

And still, I doubt the Canadiens regret selecting Carey Price even over Kopitar. Kopitar can become a very good star offensive centre in the NHL if he improves his overall game, however Price can become an elite goaltender; not only are such goaltenders much harder to find, but they play the position that has the most impact during a game.

Different discussion (and this Game Thread probably should be wrapped up) but if we had taken Kopitar #5 instead of Price, we might've ended up with the same lineup going forward, with Halak as our starter and no need to acquire Robert Lang. Down the middle, our depth chart would be Kopitar, Plekanec, Koivu and Lapierre. The whole need for a big offensively gifted C would've been taken care of.

The question would then be if Halak has the potential to be an elite goalie. We probably won't find out that answer as long as he's in a Montreal uniform (though maybe we still will).