Habs vs. Coyotes | Game Thread

Fanpuck33

Heading into Monday, the Habs have played 5 games. April is a long way off. I personally believe that the big picture in any capacity can't be figured out until the 20 game point. Who knows what is going to happen?

Last night Montreal utterly destroyed Phoenix by and large. Phoenix did have their good chances and Price did bail the players out. Still, a team has to get the puck over the blueline for 60 minutes. Any team must make one timers complete. Maybe the one timers don't result in goals, but a team has to connect.

But, sorry Phoenix. The majority of the play was determined by intercepting the puck with active pokes from the Habs. Sometimes the pokes were simply interceptions that resulted in a Montreal rush. Carbo had three players (2 wing and one D) standing low, medium and high slot defensively (when defending a rush) for most of the evening. Lateral passes to our opponents is closed for business (Coyotes or not!). By and large throughout the night the Phoenix attempt to gain the Montreal zone created a turnover in our favour. We owned the neutral zone.

Again, I know. I've predicted this 09 Cup win for the Habs since 2005 and I'm still convinced it's going to happen.

BUT

Our general quality of play in the first 5 games was mediocre.

It doesn't mean anything, it's just a comment on how we've been doing.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, I know. I've predicted this 09 Cup win for the Habs since 2005 and I'm still convinced it's going to happen.

BUT

Our general quality of play in the first 5 games was mediocre.

It doesn't mean anything, it's just a comment on how we've been doing.

No worries. I am really impressed with our all zone play in all games. Even though there is a lack of coordination by our players, in the big picture we are very very active in poke checks and being in the right place at the right time. It's Carbo-Muller-Jarvis coming through in many ways too. Even in the games we've been lazy there is still poke checking going on. Could Carbo's dream of 18 Carbo like thinking clone players on the ice for him be coming true? (lol)

If true, watch out!

Whether it be pressure on the opposing puck possesser or the active pokes, standing up on the blueline diligently or good cycling, I feel the coaches have them clicking. Overall it looks sweet. Too bad it's only 5 games. :lol:

:hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo:

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

They did play a better game on Saturday, the played a good 20 minutes, an average 20 and a poor 20. Phoenix really dominated them for a bit after it was 2-0. Thank goodness Price kept them in it.

I thought the hit on AK was a 2 minute roughing, the angles i saw it was more damage when his head hit the ice. Good to hear he is doing ok.

It was even better to finally watch a team that actually will stand up to other players running around. I think it's been about 10-15 years since i have seen that. It makes teams closer, they seem to be getting tougher, i like the way GC is using Laraque, something happens (hi stick on Kovy) Laraque comes out.

The D zone and turnovers are still really bad. Good thing Price was there to make those saves. Sooner or later one of the goalies won't make those saves and people will be all over the goalie when in fact it's really bad D.

Looking forward to see what kind of effort is brought out tonight.