2009 World Junior Championship thread

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read that again. He didn't make the WJC team, he made a US team for a tournament of Junior A players. This is a tournament of players that are playing at a level below major junior (so the BCHL, AJHL, SJHL, OPJHL, etc.). The USHL is considered equivelant to those leagues, and no NCAA players would be part of this tournament.

Read that again. He didn't make the WJC team, he made a US team for a tournament of Junior A players. This is a tournament of players that are playing at a level below major junior (so the BCHL, AJHL, SJHL, OPJHL, etc.). The USHL is considered equivelant to those leagues, and no NCAA players would be part of this tournament.
Thanks saskhab. At least this is a good thread to start nonetheless.

I should have read more. This is my just desserts for posting quickly at work. :lol:

My hometown of Yorkton Saskatchewan (15,000 peps) hosted the Junior A World Challenge last year.

Biggest event in the history of our town. I talked to a few scouts (there were at least 3 from each team).

And I got Bob Macenzie's autograph because his son was playing there.

The only notable there was Kyle Turris who played in the BCJHL at the time.

But it ain't close to the calibur of World Juniors.

• 1 month later...
My hometown of Yorkton Saskatchewan (15,000 peps) hosted the Junior A World Challenge last year.

Biggest event in the history of our town. I talked to a few scouts (there were at least 3 from each team).

And I got Bob Macenzie's autograph because his son was playing there.

The only notable there was Kyle Turris who played in the BCJHL at the time.

But it ain't close to the calibur of World Juniors.

Hometown is Yorktom?

I did grade 10 in Balcarres, just down the road!

The Swiss were apparently relegated last year and aren't at this year's tournament, so no Robert Mayer in Ottawa.

Torp is on Team Sweden, Russia hasn't announced their roster yet.

As for all the Yorkton connections, I was born in Canora and raised in Buchanan, just north of Yorkton. Yorkton was the "city" until my family moved closer to Saskatoon when I was 12.

The Swiss were apparently relegated last year and aren't at this year's tournament, so no Robert Mayer in Ottawa.

No Robert Mayer anywhere (aside from his junior team), as he was not named to the roster for what's essentially the Group B tournament. Interesting to note that Philly's Luca Sbisa is on that roster though...

http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/201/IHM2010SUI_32E_1_0.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

4 Hab prospects officially on the WJHC rosters (based on the rosters from the IIHF website):

CAN - Subban

SWE - Torp

USA - Kristo, McDonagh

There's some hope for Trunev, although I haven't heard his name linked much with the Russian team yet.

With all the PP troubles, one wonders if the Habs should sign Subban if he has a great tourney and give him his 9 game trial... :blink:

I don't think that you can do that to a kid at that point of the season. besides would it do him any good besides making a few bucks ??

his team is 3rd in the OHL, he would benefit of going to the memorial cup more than playing 9 games in theNHL.

I don't think that you can do that to a kid at that point of the season. besides would it do him any good besides making a few bucks ??

his team is 3rd in the OHL, he would benefit of going to the memorial cup more than playing 9 games in theNHL.

You can do it (Florida did it last year with Shawn Matthias) but it's generally not done, probably for good reason. I just kind of made the comment about the level of desperation on the PP right now more than actually promoting the idea.

Matthias was an emergency call up last year. Anyway, wouldn't the smartest thing be use someone in the AHL if the Habs are that desperate to improve the PP ?

Jeeze, the whole world must have a grudge against the Belleville Bulls. Let him finish the season here, WE NEED HIM!!!

Heck, didn't the Habs have to do the mid-season callup with Michaud a few years back?

They were very similar situations. Michaud signed mid-season as an undrafted FA while playing in the Q (like Robert Mayer did earlier this year) because everyone not named Mathieu Garon was hurt at the time. Heck, he even played for that one game he dressed in...

Matthias was an emergency call up last year. Anyway, wouldn't the smartest thing be use someone in the AHL if the Habs are that desperate to improve the PP ?

I don't think that was fully it. I'm sure they had a couple injuries, but they chose Matthias over players in the AHL because of his performance at the WJC's. They could've called up professionals, but they didn't. Just like how Mason got called up last year as well... the Blue Jackets had Dan LaCosta in the AHL, but chose to call up Mason when they needed a goalie.

We could sign Subban and call him up. And we could keep him if we wanted to. I remember that Jokinen last year made a statement that he hoped that Florida would keep Matthias up, because he had played so well.

All that being said, I'm just raising this outside possibility out of frustration. I'm not endorsing such a move. Apparently PK is only on the 3rd D pairing to begin the tournament, so it's not like he's this year's Karl Alzner or Shea Weber. Besides, if we need to call someone up, Carle and Weber are both available and Weber was a better OHL d-man last year than even Subban was.

I saw the US vs Latvia pre-competition World Junior Game in Kingston last night.

The final score was 13-2 for the US with the shots 63-12. Such a lopsided game

can make it difficult to evaluate players but here are my impressions.

The US team has 2 habs prospects: defenceman Ryan McDonagh and forward

Danny Kristo.

McDonagh looked solid but not spectacular. He played a conservative error-free game.

He did seize a few chances to start offensive rushes and showed flashes of real

offensive flair. He did demonstrate good instincts and read the play very well.

On the whole though I was hoping to see more from him.

Conversely, I wasn't expecting much from Kristo. I was surprised when he made the team.

He had only 1 shift in the first period and 3 more in the 2nd with two of those three on the

penalty kill. He made a very nice play to set up an even strength goal in the second.

In the third period he played a regular shift.

I was very impressed with his speed, his skating and his stick handling. His vision was

excellent and he suffered from his linemates inability to read the play as well as he did.

He is not very big and needs to fill out but he wasn't afraid of contact. His shot needs

work as it lacks both accuracy and strength. But his skating, stick handling and vision mean he could be a 1st or 2nd line NHL player. I can really see why the Habs drafted him so high (2nd round last year).

I'll see the US vs Russia game tomorrow. This will be a closer game and I am hoping it will give McDonagh more of a chance to whow his skills.

That is pretty much what you'll get from McDonagh. Error free, physical, cool under pressure. A good passer in his own end. Decent shot, ok on the O end. Very good skater. It will be interesting how those guys do with stiffer competition.

Good job with the updates.