Fischer?

zumpano21

Does anyone know what is going on with David Fischer? He was our first round pick a few years ago and I haven't heard squat about him lately. Is he a writeoff?

Far from a writeoff despite the frustrations of a lot of fans. He remains at the University of Minnesota in his 3rd year and has an assist in the lone game he's played (team has played 2). Each year, he's getting more ice time and more responsibility, and he's improving, albeit slowly. He's certainly a project and may be a player who plays out his college eligibility before joining the Habs organization, and would certainly have to spend time in the AHL before coming to the Habs.

In our rankings that were posted on the main HW site a few weeks back, Fischer was 6th in the prospect list, having a range of ratings from 2 to 12. He'll be a player, but still may be 3 years away.

when you have a 6'4 right handed D man, you take your time. he wasn't Mr hockey for nothing(ditto McDonagh)

he's been battling illness over the last few years which as slowed his development. he'll need at least another year to fill out his frame.

what I've about him is that he's a smooth skater and a good passer. I don't think that we can expect him to ever be physical.

Edited by marky_and_komi

anyone think the Habs are stupid for rushing Price? Like what?

Price wasn't rushed at first, when he showed signs of letting down he was sent to hamilton.

The problem wit Schenn is that I don't see any D that can play thebig brother with like

Schneider to Bogosian , O'Donnell with Doughty. Pietrangelo is surrounded by Good vets as well.

Well, it's still concievable that Schenn might get sent down. The Leafs have plenty of mediocre D on one-way contracts. It's a dumb idea to keep him around if he's not ready, but if he is, why not? Although the Leafs better hope he turns out better than Luke Richardson.

If you think Schenn should not have been kept up then what did you think about Latendresse?

He's a closer comparison to Schenn's ability then Price...obviously there are some young players who can step in right away and succeed. Those cases are usually clear cut. Like Crosby, Ovechkin, Price, etc.

Neither Lats nor Schenn were in that elite group of prospects.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice particle on Fischer. I like how the Gophers and the coach campare him to Paul Martin (senior Gopher as well)

If he's a projected player in the Paul Martin calibre but possibly better than I'm delighted!!!

Well I hope he is better.

Martin is only a top 4 on a team with bad defense.

Martin was a top 4 back in 2003-04 when Jersey had both Niedermeyer and Rafalski still. He just hasn't made the jump to a legit top pairing guy.

I'd take him on a second pairing any day of the week. Unless, of course, I can fill the second pairing with top pairing caliber guys, haha. I think on most teams Martin would be second pairing. And then, of course, there is Columbus who would see a 30 point D-man as their puck moving savior! Oh wait, they already let go of their only good puck moving D so they could sign Mike Commodore? My bad.

I'd take him on a second pairing any day of the week. Unless, of course, I can fill the second pairing with top pairing caliber guys, haha. I think on most teams Martin would be second pairing. And then, of course, there is Columbus who would see a 30 point D-man as their puck moving savior! Oh wait, they already let go of their only good puck moving D so they could sign Mike Commodore? My bad.

how about that zherdev trade ?? Howson's most questionnable move IMO.

The guy is exaggerating a little bit, there's no doubt anout it, but here's a quote from Minnesota radio host Bruce Ciskie about David Fischer:

Schroeder wasn't the only player to put on an impressive performance Saturday in St. Paul. Here is a partial list of the players who caught my eye during the doubleheader:

Minnesota defenseman David Fischer (NHL rights: Montreal) scored a power-play goal and tacked on an assist against MSU. Fischer is a big kid (six-three and around 200 pounds) who flashes a big shot and is strong with the puck. I hate making NHL comparisons, but if he continues to develop and puts on a bit more muscle, he could be a Pronger-type player, minus the suspensions (we hope).

Obviously no one is expecting Fischer to become anywhere near as dominant as Chris Pronger, arguably one of the top 15/20 best defensemen in NHL history, but the mere fact that fairly knowledgeable people such as Ciskie are making such connections shows that Fischer is right back on track. Also what his coach was saying about him in that cyberpresse article is also very encouraging.

I remember that near the time of the draft people were also making comparisons with Scott Niedermayer... again this tells something about his potential and skill set, and why the Canadiens were so eager to draft him.

nodody's Christ Pronger.

I don't think he'll ever be a top pairing Dman. maybe a good puck moving 4th. Maybe a poor man's Bouwmeester.

nodody's Christ Pronger.

I don't think he'll ever be a top pairing Dman. maybe a good puck moving 4th. Maybe a poor man's Bouwmeester.

The young man is still playing University level hockey, give him a break, nobody and I mean nobody can predict how this young man will turn out. The scouts and team experts see potential and that is all POTENTIAL until that time when the player becomes a pro player.

The young man is still playing University level hockey, give him a break, nobody and I mean nobody can predict how this young man will turn out. The scouts and team experts see potential and that is all POTENTIAL until that time when the player becomes a pro player.

I completely agree with you. Anyway we'll need very good young defensemen in the upcomming 2-3 years and hopefully they'll be solid and be at ease with the team whenever they arrive.

The main factors are potentiel development and adaptation.

Hopefully Fischer, McDonnaugh, Subban, Weber all make it in the end. Then there's always some dissapointments and surprises...However for drafted prospects...dissapointments only come often from a very subjective and word to mouth comments by having very high hopes like every prospect will be at his summum at 18-20 years old instead of at 24-25...and that is a world of difference for 95% of the players who are being drafted.

Comments do seem encouraging.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little info on some of the college prospects i got to watch over the weekend.

Can someone varify the Conboy at Michigan state is the Conboy the habs drafted. He is a big physical guy who plays in front of the net and corners. He looked good and bad over the weekend. He definitely needs to work on his skating, his hockey sense isn't the best either. If i remeber correctly, he was a later pick anyway. He's a bit of a project. He does win alot of battles and plays physical.

McDonagh, looked good again over the weekend. I thought he had an assist or 2. He is still on the top PK, 2nd PP. Plays alot of minutes. Very good skater and even more physical then i saw him last year. Real good player.

Fisher looked good again. He looks more physical then i saw him last year. He also seems to be jumping in, skating with the puck more. He is a great skater with a real good first pass. He plays on the top pair, top Pk, and 2nd PP units. He looks like he bulked up as well. I think the broadcast had him listed at 6'2 205.

I don't know who else plays in the US colleges from the habs.