Baseball

dlbalr

I know I know, what a topic especially on a hockey board, but I felt like telling everyone that my first baseball game is tomorrow, please wish me luck, we're going to need it! :)

(I'm playing in a men's league, where many players are twice my age, we're going to get creamed most nights and we all know it)

I know I know, what a topic especially on a hockey board, but I felt like telling everyone that my first baseball game is tomorrow, please wish me luck, we're going to need it!  

(I'm playing in a men's league, where many players are twice my age, we're going to get creamed most nights and we all know it)

Cool !

Have a good season

Thanks for the kind words sakiqc.

Thankfully, the success of our season doesn't all lie within our regular season/playoff performance. If we win the tournament we're hosting in August, and do half-decent in the one in June, our coaching/managerial staff will consider this season to be a good one.

Break a leg! (Wait scratch that , does it only work when you say it to entertainers?)  

Don't worry puck, someone always breaks or injures their leg at some point during the season! :)

Also, thanks for the well-wishing.

Good luck in your baseball league, dlbalr!

I'm finally able to play in my hockey league tonight, too, after traveling the last 3 weeks. I managed 10 (7g 3a)pts in the first two games (gotta love racking up pts in a 12-2 win, hehe) , only to lose my scoring lead...sigh. I also had 14 PIMs...woohoo.

I went to the game today...completed the sweep!!!....team is playing great.....hopefully they stay in it long enough to make some acquisitions before the trade deadline

Vlad Rules!!!

This team won't be able to afford any help at the deadline.. they'll have to do it on their own.

Their only shot at getting some help is if El Duque recovers fom surgery in time to help the team in late August... or in the playoffs if we make it that far.

The biggest concern is that this is Vlady's last year on his contract :c< ... and if he refuses to sign an extension the team might be forced to trade him at the deadline... how ugly would that be. :nono:

[Edited on 15-5-03 by Habs77]

It was a heartbreaker, a 4-3 loss to the Wyevale COIS Tribe. We scored once in the top of the 1st (allowed 2 in the bottom), and scored twice in the 7th, however, we allowed 2 in the home-half as well, ending the game (we only play 7 innings.)

Next action for my ballclub is May 22nd vs Perkinsfield (I get the start in that one.)

Well last time I checked Vladdy will decide whether he signs or not... the Expos or MLB have no say in the matter.

But if the Expos are in the hunt and I were Vladdy, I'd accept a 1-year deal just so the club isn't forced to trade me at the deadline and I can help the Xpos make it this year.

In the end it's all up to Vlad.

WE WON!!!

It was a slug-fest, with my team winning 13-10. I only threw 4 innings (67 pitches) due to a mild shoulder strain. I allowed 6 runs in that span, allowing 5 hits and 4 walks, while striking out 4. I also went 1 for 2 at the plate, with a double, 2 RBI and a stolen base.

Despite the lousy outing, I can safely say that I got the first win in franchise history!

Next week, we have a pair of games (actually, it should be a pair of losses), Monday vs Wyebridge and Thursday vs Minesing.

Throw at someone for me please. I think i set a record for doing that.

JEREMY BURNIT GRAND SLAM OFF RUSS ORTIZ. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

[Edited on 2003-5-27 by sakiqc]

The strangest thing happened...we didn't lose. However, we didn't win either, we tied 3-3. (In the regular season, games are over after 7 innings regardless of the score.)

We blew yet another lead, we were up 3-1 in the 7th inning before an error turned a routine groundball into a triple, scoring 1 and allowing the other runner to score on a sac fly.

Our record currently stands at 1-1-1, which is a lot better than we thought it would be at this time.

Next up for us is a loss vs Minesing (I can say this, because I can see the future :) Also, they're the reigning champs and are undefeated this year.)

PS: Why are there 3 forums merged into 1? (My baseball forum + MLB forum + F1 forum)

What a disaster! We lost 10-0 to the reigning league champs. Strangely enough, we did better than I thought. The starting pitcher threw just 4 innings, allowing 6 runs on 8 hits, while walking 4. I didn't do much better, allowing 4 runs (only 1 earned however) on 1 hit, walking 2 in 1 ⅓ innings. 3 errors were made by my team in the 6th inning alone, after I threw a 3 up 3 down inning.

This week, we are against the Toanche Brooklea Eagles (we're the Toanche Junior Eagles BTW) tomorrow night, and we're in Vasey on Thursday.

This week, we went from bad to UGLY! We lost on Monday night 6-4 (I threw 4 innings in the no-decision), and on Thursday, we lost a "close" one 14-0 to Vasey (THIS IS NOT A TYPO). The last few games we've really found out that we're nowheres near as good as the other teams, and that we'll need a few years to get better.

This week, our Monday game vs Base Borden has been cancelled, so our only league game is Thursday vs Wyebridge. (We tied them 3-3 earlier in the season.) This weekend, we're entered in a tournament out in Rama, Ontario, where the winning team wins $15,000. Obviously, that won't be us, but we're supposed to get a guaranteed 3 games, so it's well worth the trip.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I was hoping to wait until we won another league game before posting again in this thread, however, I'm beginning to feel this may not happen, so I'm posting now. We've lost our last 4 games by a combined score of (26-8).

Our record in the previously mentionned tournament was 1-2, finishing 6th overall out of 9, but winning no money. :(

This coming weekend, we're in yet another tournament, the national qualification tournament for players aged 16/17. It's a 21 team tourney, and the top 2 make the nationals. Our first game is Friday afternoon vs Grafton at 3:00 PM, so I won't be around for a few days starting then. (if we lose, I'll be back on Saturday, so you never know.)

Click here for the full tournament schedule.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's another update, and in these past few weeks, something out of the ordinary happened-we won! Twice at that! About 3 weeks ago, we beat C.F.B. Borden Athletics (who are currently last) 5-3, and just last night, we pulled off the biggest upset of the season, defeating the current league leaders Minesing by a score of 6-2. (We lost the first 2 games versus them by a combined score of 17-0.) Through 18 games, our record is a humiliating 3-14-1 for 7 points, good for 7th overall (out of 8 teams). However, we have 2 games left vs C.F.B. Borden (a double-header Monday) and our final game is against the new league leaders-Vasey before the playoffs begin. This weekend, we travel to Meaford, Ontario for another ball tournament, where first prize wins $1200. So needless to say, I won't be around for a day or two because of it.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of things to update this time, firstly, the results of our most recent tournament. We qualified for the 'C' semi-finals, that's all I'm going to say about that. The way we got there is quite strange...

As for league play, the regular season ended this past Thursday, and to no one's surprise, we ended on a losing streak. Here are the final standings:

Team Wins Loss Ties Pts

Vasey 15 3 3 33

Wyevale 15 5 1 31

Minesing 15 5 1 31

Toanche 11 9 1 23

Wyebridge 10 10 1 21

Base Borden 5 15 1 11

Perkinsfield 4 14 3 11

Toanche Jr's 3 17 1 7

(Sorry for the poor quality of the standings, I can't align the colums.)

Playoffs begin tonight, we're in a best 3 of 5 series vs Vasey. So when we're swept and humiliated, we'll then focus on our final tournament, the provincial championships, which we're hosting by the way. The tourney runs from August 15th-17th.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this should be the last update, as the season is now over, we did lose our first 3 playoff games and therefore were eliminated. We lost Game #1 7-1, Game #2 4-1, and Game #3 5-1, which is a lot better than we did against them in the regular season.

Now, on to the tournament. We did better than many expected here, finishing 2nd overall out of the 9 teams that participated in it. We ended up with a 4-2 record. These are the tournament results:

Games played on August 16:

Game 1: Toanche Eagles 12 New Dundee Reds 11

Game 2: Jordan Red Sox 18 Hamilton Blue Devils 4

Game 3: Central Cyclones 10 Port Dalhousie Cardinals 1

Game 4: Springbrook Royals 6 Milverton Millwrights 3

Game 5: Toanche Eagles 5 Smithville Blue Sox 4

Game 6: New Dundee Reds 12 Hamilton Blue Devils 8 *

Game 7: New Dundee Reds 16 Port Dalhousie Cardinals 7 *

Game 8: Milverton Millwrights 11 Smithville Blue Sox 6 *

Game 9: Toanche Eagles 6 Springbrook Royals 2

Game 10: Central Cyclones 5 Jordan Red Sox 0

Game 11: New Dundee Reds 4 Springbrook Royals 2 *

Game 12: Milverton Millwrights 13 Jordan Red Sox 6 *

Games played on August 17:

Game 13: Toanche Eagles 4Central Cyclones 1

Game 14: Milverton Millwrights 6 New Dundee Reds 3 *

Game 15: Central Cyclones 16 Milverton Millwrights 1 *

Game 16: Central Cyclones 6 Toanche Eagles 4

Game 17: Central Cyclones 6 Toanche Eagles 5 *

In order for a team to be eliminated, they must have 2 losses, that's why Toanche and Central played 2 games back to back, the 1st gave each team 1 loss each, the second eliminated Toanche. :(

*The team was eliminated after that game.

In case anyone wanted to know, I batted .500 for the tournament, and pitched in 2 games, going 0-0 with a 5.24 ERA (good for 3rd on the team).

[Edited on 2003/8/19 by dlbalr]