Necessary line change

Easy Ryder

The injury of Andrei Kost did show something clear. The key combination

for the Kovy line is not Kovy-Plek but Andrei-Kovy. Andrei is a lot more defensively

and ice smart than people give him credit for. In fact Plek has become a liability for

this line from trying to do too much and get out of his game.

Lang could fill his skates with those two and it would make a stronger 5-5.

Higgins-Plek and Sergei would be the other line with three player with equal

speed to mature up together as a line.

I find it's a bit too early to make any changes. Give Kovy-Plex-Andrei K. another 10 games...they'll get out of this funk!!

7 games, only 1 loss in regulation and the Habs still haven't had a games with their top 9 forwards in the lineup. Before any major shakeups, let the 9 man crew have some time to see what they can do.

I see lotsa firepower and 3 lines that should be able to consistently score.

To say that Plex is a liability is just :wacko: Kovy is also trying to do too much fancy stuff. But Kovy is so moody, you never know what you can or cant do with his line.

I agree though that Higgins-Plex always have had natural chemistry together.

I'd give the Andrei - Pleks - Kovy line a few more games to prove themselves... but I have to admit that a Higgins - Pleks - Sergei line has piqued my interest. It's great to have such talent and depth.

Offense isn't a problem. It's defense and work ethic.

The defense has been soft and out to lunch in several games but goaltending covered it up except Saturday.

The D, effort and back checking is what needs to be addressed.

As others said, relax. They are 5-1-1

They'll get it together

Offense isn't a problem. It's defense and work ethic.

It is somewhat worrysome that Kovy's line is slumping; Saku's line is carrying the weight right now with the D coming up Big for us (Markov/Hammer) and the odd chip in from the other lines. If Saku's line goes cold..we may have a problem; better to experiment with it now as opposed to later.

Plex is one of the team's best defensive players (or rather, hockey smart if you will). If the line is struggling because of Plekanec, it's because his confidence had dipped. He was on fire during the pre-season - maybe he's a streaky player. Either way, I fully expect the Plek line to get rolling shortly. Also, our third line consisting of Higgins/Sergei/Lang is going to be a great third wave taking some pressure off the Kovy line.

Speaking of defense - sorry to raise a long dead issue and pick on such an oft-maligned player, but I thought that Brisebois looked horrendous against Anahiem. I'd rather give O'Byrne a shot. That's about the only line change we'd need right now.

I gotta admit that Lang and Kovalev is definitely something that would work nicely though, but right now it's still early.

One loss indeed - but if you look at the Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev's line production over all 7 games, you'll see that their stats aren't exactly up to par with the expectations (which are a tad high). With that said, I don't think it's time to start ragging on Pleks yet.

Hello, everyone. Its one loss dont over-react.

Agreed! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

The boys have lost one game and people are already asking to change the lines...i can't believe this! The Kovy, PLex and AK46 line have played 4 games together, give them some time, they'll break through!

I've been saying this all summer and am still saying it now. the A.K.'s shouldnt be played together.

Lil A.K. should have had 30+ goals last year but just missed that mark. Why? because he passes to Kovy way too much when he himself should just shoot. Lil A.K. idolizes Kovy and Kovy is the well known veteran sniper so instead of lil A.K. shooting he wants to pass to Kovy. Lil A.K. will never become a 40 goal guy as long as he plays with Kovy because he passes to his sniper idol to much. It seriosuly hinders lil A.K.'s progression playing him with Kovy.

I am stunned that I seem to be the only one who wants to see the Habs best line in the year they barely missed the playoffs put back together. :wacko:

i.e. Higs - Pleks - lil A.K.

Over a 15 game span that year the all were avg 1 pt/game so why not let them see if they could all each get 80 pts in 80 games. I seriously dont think Higs will hit 80 on any other line, Pleks might, lil A.K. probaly could but together they all might be able to hit 80.

Kovy should play with Sergei instead. Plus playing the A.K.'s together is basically putting all your eggs in 1 basket. Why play the 2 guys who have the hardest fastest and most accurate shots on the same line? It makes no sense.

Agreed! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

The boys have lost one game and people are already asking to change the lines...i can't believe this! The Kovy, PLex and AK46 line have played 4 games together, give them some time, they'll break through!

Yes its only four games they have played together. We will see how they do when they get there chemistry back from last season.

Also welcome to a balanced team Habs Fans. Unlike last season with only one line getting the points we have three good lines that will produce points. Dont expect the Plex, AK 27 and A.Kost to have to get every point this year for the Habs.

I am stunned that I seem to be the only one who wants to see the Habs best line in the year they barely missed the playoffs put back together. :wacko:

It's not so stunning when you realize it means breaking up the Habs best line in the year they finished first in east. You're also talking about a 15 game span, compared to the success AK-Pleks-AK had over 82 games last year.

Your proposal may have some merit, but it's not surprising that Carbo is going with the tried and true to start the season. I'm sure there will be plenty of tinkering if the Kovalev line can't get it going.

The Sergei-Plex-Kovy line had 17 shots on goal vs. Anaheim, and the team fired 51 on goal. The team actually played better than in a lot of other games that ended as wins (or the shootout loss to Buffalo), but that was mainly because they were forced to play that way since they fell behind quickly.

No need to panic, the team is doing fine and is getting healthy. Let's let the team as envisioned get going together as a group for a few games. This road trip upcoming is probably a great thing for the team to start working together.

Well i read the habs have a full lineup in tonight.

AK Pleks AK

Tanguay Koivu Lats

Higgins Lang Sk

Dandenault Lapierre Kosto

Markov Komi

Hamrlik O'Byrne

Bouillon Gorges

Updated

I am stunned that I seem to be the only one who wants to see the Habs best line in the year they barely missed the playoffs put back together.

Over a 15 game span that year the all were avg 1 pt/game

You answered your own question there. The Higgins-Plex-AK46 line worked well for 15 games 2 years ago, whereas the AK-Plex-AK line worked well for 82 games last year. I think that should be proof enough that they will stay together for a little while longer this year.

Edited by Habsfan

Little girl can't wear big shoes.

Plek has himself playing like a little girl in the playoffs last year and this 8 game streak

is showing that he is still stuck there.

It's not just the points, it's the overall play said Carbonneau after the game.

His overall play in face-off is weak, if he can't win a face off in the opponent zone on power

play he has nothing to do there.

Little girl can't wear big shoes.

Plek has himself playing like a little girl in the playoffs last year and this 8 game streak

is showing that he is still stuck there.

It's not just the points, it's the overall play said Carbonneau after the game.

His overall play in face-off is weak, if he can't win a face off in the opponent zone on power

play he has nothing to do there.

Well then Carbo is being a bit of a Jackk-Ass . Last night both Pleks and Koivu killed in the face-off circle except against Brind'Amour, who happens to be the king of face-offs. I wouldn't go making Pleks feel like crap over that. He'll get his shit together, we all know that.

Well then Carbo is being a bit of a Jackk-Ass . Last night both Pleks and Koivu killed in the face-off circle except against Brind'Amour, who happens to be the king of face-offs. I wouldn't go making Pleks feel like crap over that. He'll get his shit together, we all know that.

Sorry all Carbo said that it's not only the points but his overall play was ok.

The crap about the face off and the power play is all mine.

I should have change the typo.

I have nothing against Plekanek but i am deceived with him, being use with gritty players instead of finesse

players would help him shake him out of that hockey style that he plays now that is not working. He simply

plays fancy when he should keep it simple.