Hockey drills/tips (defense)

huzer

Howdy, it's been a while! Just wanted to ask if anyone here has any good defense drills for practice. I'm trying to drill into my team that not all 5 people out there are forwards...we've got a couple that actually try and play D, but end up chasing the puck around and getting outta position. I've tried many many things and I'm looking for new ideas (other than benching some guys).

Here are the pts I've come up with so far (some stolen from some coaching sites)...

* Closest defenseman play the puck carrier low staying on defensive side and keeping a tight gap.

* Second defenseman cover the front of the net - always one man in front - tough.

* Be alert for opposition face-off plays.

* Finish all checks in the corners and beat your man back to the net.

* On 3 on 3's and 4 on 4's one man take the shooter.

* Avoid backing in.

* When the puck at the point - clear the front of the net and control the opposition sticks by sealing them to the outside.

And I don't even want to talk about my forwards getting back to backcheck, that's another thing altogether!

Play Manager

Download the demo, there are a few good drills there.

And for only $199.99, you can make your own, and access the entire database of drills and plays :/)

Call now, and you'll also receive a free set of... Steak Knives!!!!

When I played hockey our coach drilled powerplays. 5 on 3.

And no defencemen was allowed to leave their spot. This forced the defencemen to stay on the offensive blueline and not to chase the puck.

Forwards job was to play the puck up to the d´s so they could take a shot.

I think this worked verry well, but I don't know if it's of any use to you.

How old are the kids you're coaching?

And another think is that european rinks are so much bigger so everybody really had the time they needed to learn this.

To be honest, it was easier coaching kids...unfortunately, I'm coaching adults...and all any of them want to do is score. It's tough getting these guys to play positionally, as everyone has their own idea ("down play the body, just poke check the guy every time" grrr). The problem is none of them want to practice at all, just show up, play, lose, and go home whining that they lost again. Oh well, I may have to finally give up on these guys and actually just worry about joining a team with some guys that already know what they're doing. I'm almost 2 years into the venture with this group, and although they've improved, they still suck. We'll see...