I'm bored so I'll do a projected line-up...

Zowpeb

This topic always gets people talking...

Looking over our prospect depth charts and current players I think we can get a pretty good idea of what our line-up will be next year...here's my thoughts:

Only using players we have the rights to...

Zednik-Koivu-Perezhogin

Higgins-Ribeiro-Ryder

Bulis-Bonk-Sundstrom

Begin-Plekanec-Ward

Seeing as there won't be an NHL season, we're likely to see more rookies in the NHL when it resumes. The reasoning is that their development will be that much further along and some older players will be retiring...as well as they'll be cheaper which may come into play if/when there is some sort of cap in place.

I believe those 3 rookies have earned their shot at the NHL...

Potential problems are:

1) lack of experience - although many teams may have this issue depending on when the league resumes.

2) Lack of scoring punch on Bonk's wings...

3) How will Perezhogin return? Kovalev makes that line-up look much better but Zhog looked close to deserving a legit shot.

4) 4th line is a little soft/small...

If Kovalev was signed he drops into Koivu's line and I'd move Perezhogin to Bonks line...dropping Sundstrom to the 4th with Plekanec and Begin. Not only that but Kostsitsyn would probably be more then ready within another year(2 years from today) meaning even more available scoring.

Another possibilty is to trade some of our young talent for help on defense. Package up guys like Hossa, Plekanec with guys like Brisebois and Rivet for upgrades on defense. Using good prospects and picks with solid d-men means we'd, hopefully, be able to turn that into premier d-men. 2 premier d-men combined with Komi, Souray and Markov would mean a stellar defence corps. Anyone think this is feasible??

In fact, in 2 years we could see our top 3 lines looking something like this if we played our cards right and got some of these guys experience next year.

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev

Kostsitsyn-Ribeiro-Perezhogin

Higgins-Bonk-Ryder

That is potentially a killer top 3 lines...soo much talent there. That type of forward group with the right deals made for our defence and Theodore in net and this could be a cup contender within 2 years time.

Whaddaya all think? Too optimistic? Too soon for all the rooks?

[Edited on 2004-12-29 by puck7x]

Well.. I really dislike your lines so.. as I'm also bored over here.. I'll chuck in my opinions just for the hell of it. Not to say your line-ups don't make sense or anything like that - they're just not what I would pick so.. here are mine!

Zednik - Koivu - Plekanec/Perezhogin/Kostsitsyn

Hossa - Ribeiro - Ryder

Bulis - Bonk - Sundstrom

Begin - Higgins - Ward

Dagenais to the AHL to learn to skate! Perhaps try and gear him up to play a more defensive game and to have a shot at a third-line spot. He was the weakest link on the Habs O team as far as I'm concerned. Great shot, no aim and terrible skating skills.

Anyway, I don't know why Sundstrom was re-signed after being bought out of group II free agency.. was thinking or hoping that Gainey was going to use him as waiver fodder to draw attention away from some other players. To my line-ups.. this is all condsidering Kovalev dosen't return, if he does.. he takes the spot on line one and the three names I have fighting for the spot head back to the Bulldogs.

Zednik and Koivu know each other well and play together with great results. A speedy, talented offensive-minded player like Kovalev or any of the three players I have mention wuld fit, I think.

Hossa has the talent but lacks the desire - providing he wants the spot, I think it's his. He showed great skills when he was first called up and then not a lot the second time around. I think he was disapointed in something (Not sure what) and lacked the effort. He, along with with Ribeiro and Ryder (Who I don't think was a fluke) could be some serious damage despite being small in size.

Bonk is a solid two-way player as are Bulis and Sundstrom and I think the three could do some good together. Sundstrom showed a lot of scoring talent early in his carear and then lost it once he was asked to play more of a defensive role. Bulis is fast and has a wicked shot with poor aim - I'm hoping playing with a guy like Bonk will rekindle their offensie abilities and give the team the needed third line attack.

Begin, Ward and Higgins may not be big, but all three have the heart to make up for it. Begin showed he can chip in a few goals (Notching 10 last year) and Ward (with 5 goals) was a good scorer in the juniors. Higgins, too, can score and all three players love to employ a physical game and belt the living snot out of the other teams players. This would be an energy line! The guys that get the team but into focus, back inthe game and back to throwing the W's up on the board. (see Begin's hit on Nylander for an example of what I mean)

A major trade has to be in the air within the next two seasons. Too many good young players coming up and not enough open spots. Chipcharra, Kostsitsyn, Plekanec, Perezhogin, Higgins, Hossa, Locke, Urqhart for example.. and only 12 spots availible.

Ohh.. and as far as trading Brisebois or Rivet, I don't think that is a good idea at all. Quintal needed to be dealt to make room for Komisarek. Markov, Souray, Bouillon make up a great six with Hainsey looking in. Hopefully, Gainey finds a way to bring Beauchemin back, too.

Will Huet be able to beat out Michaud for the back-up spot? For now.. but for how long?

Originally posted by Zowpeb

4) 4th line is a little soft/small...

It is? Its not the roughest line in the league, but its definitely not soft. Begin is the grittiest player around, Ward aint bad himself, and Plekanec has been known to mix it up when he has to. Plus the 3 of them arent small, they arent giants, but they arent small.

I disagree with having Perezhogin on the first line, in my opinion from seeing them both play Kostitsyn is more NHL ready right now then Perezhogin is, the skills are about even (difference in style) , but Kostitsyn already has the NHL body. This isnt to say that Zhog can never make it, I would just put Kostitsyn ahead of him at the moment.

Habs13 ---  

Dagenais to the AHL to learn to skate! Perhaps try and gear him up to play a more defensive game and to have a shot at a third-line spot. He was the weakest link on the Habs O team as far as I'm concerned. Great shot, no aim and terrible skating skills.

Dagenais spent part of the summer trying to improve his skating, I saw it with my own eyes every day at the summer development camp. Dagenais showed up every day to take part in the power skating drills, like him or not at least he's trying to better himself.

Will Huet be able to beat out Michaud for the back-up spot? For now.. but for how long?

I dont think Michaud is the one Huet should be worrying about, I think its Danis. Danis is older then Michaud, and definitely (imo) a better goaltender then Michaud, I think Danis is awesome and could be a real steal for the habs in the long term... Michaud hasnt really been progressing for years.

Dagenais spent part of the summer trying to improve his skating, I saw it with my own eyes every day at the summer development camp. Dagenais showed up every day to take part in the power skating drills, like him or not at least he's trying to better himself.

He's doing it because it is his job!

If he doesn't learn to skate, he gets cut. Quite simple.

Originally posted by Ribeiro

He's doing it because it is his job!

If he doesn't learn to skate, he gets cut. Quite simple.

What I meant was that the summer is usually free time for the players, Dagenais didnt have to spend his summer improving his skating, he could have waiting for training camp (which never happened because of the lockout anyways) ... You are right when you say that if he doesnt improve he gets cut, so I'll give credit to Dagenais for trying to save his own ass :)

Here's what I would like to see:

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev

Hossa-Ribeiro-Ryder

Bulis-Bonk-Ward

Higs/Plek-Begin-Sundstrom

These pairings have nothing to do with the lines I use on NHL 2005, haha. But seriously, the top line should be the desire of most Habs fans after what they did in the playoffs. 2/3 of the second line is a given, and I think this line will allow Hossa to have his last shot, as Ribeiro did last season. 3rd line has grit and some punch, so I like it. 4th line is a bit small, but solid on D, and it gives Higgins or Plekanec a shot to show what they have. Down the line, I'd like to see Kostitsyn replace Kovalev, and Perezhogin replace Hossa, if he doesn't step up.

Souray-Rivet

Markov-Hainesy

Brisebois-Komisarek

The D pairings I have set up are based on a couple of things. I like these because each pairing has a veteran and a good checker, and each also has some offensive punch. Down the line is hard to think about, since our depth there is not that great.

Theodore

Huet

And down the line Danis looks like a stud.

I couldn't disagree more about our defence Habs13. I think our defence needs some upgrades...

I'm happy with:

Komisarek - he's a scary talent

Markov - loads of upside if he can put it all together he could be a consistent 45 point type d-man...

Souray - I think many Habs fans will be disappointed in him next season. He is NOT going to put up 40 points a year regularily. But he's still a good all around d-man.

Brisebois is okay but not for his pricetag. Same with Rivet. If we could get some upgrades over these 2 guys we wouldn't be increasing payroll by much, if at all, and we could be getting much better players.

Puck, I said the 4th line is small just because 4th lines are usually tough, physical, high energy lines...while the players I had on it can be gritty and high energy they're not physical in the classical sense of what 4th line players are expected to be. No fighter type, none are all that big(in fact, Begin and Plekanec are on the small side IMO).

[Edited on 2004/10/2 by Zowpeb]

HABS13...with all due respect Higgins never came remotely close to hitting anyone in Hamilton last year and was no where close to being physical at the best of times

He was a permitter player for most of the year who at times showed real talent and capitalized on scoring opportunities.