Habs @ Maple Leafs

Fanpuck33

Well, 6-3 for the leafs...

If this is not a wake up call for the habs I don't know what is... they really have not been a very good team this year... perhaps the biggest waste of talent in the league...

Talent plus HARD WORK makes you a contender... They have the talent...

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:puke: :puke: :puke:

I need more booze to forget this atrocity of a game

Could it be than this team is becoming a bit arrogant and is relying too much on their talent?

Could it be than this team is becoming a bit arrogant and is relying too much on their talent?

yes I do believe they think if they show up they win. Maybe this will show em.

yes I do believe they think if they show up they win. Maybe this will show em.

Maybe. Not many bright spots in this game, other than maybe the Tanguay-Koivu SH effort (which maybe, maybe could have been a penalty call anyway, at least if you believe HNC!).

I honestly think this is what the habs needed. Maybe they'll realize talent cant get them points in every game, they actually gotta work for the points.

And Grabs man what a little bitch. Maybe there was more to him being shipped out than was said. Saku gave him a hard time, and Sergie seemed like he wanted to tear him apart.

This was as sickening as any game I've watched this team play. They played badly to a man...but some stood out more than others.

Price: Junior B level goaltending at times....sitting on his ass deep in the net. Garbage

Kovalev: Skated like he had a 50lb bag of potatoes strapped to his back, and passed like he had the hands of Lapierre on several occasions (see below)

Lapierre: Hands of stone...just skating around out there with no real purpose

Latendresse: Does this guy ever make anything happen out there? Wasted minutes.

O'Byrne: 'Bambi' looked as shaky as ever. Christ, do we need a D-man...wake up Bob!

Markov: Apperently, there was a 2-for-1 deal on those 50lb sacks of potatoes...and Kovalev and Markov went shopping together. Couldn't tell if he was playing hurt, or just lazy.

They were all bad, but these guys just stood out more to me than some of the others. A couple of them, because they are usually very good for us. Others, becuase they always seem to be shit and I'm getting sick of seeing them out there. Overall, this game made me want to puke. So much so that I hope Coach Carbonneau puts these lazy bastards through a 'no pucks' practice that makes them all want to puke around 9am tomorrow morning. :puke: :puke: :puke:

This was as sickening as any game I've watched this team play. They played badly to a man...but some stood out more than others.

Price: Junior B level goaltending at times....sitting on his ass deep in the net. Garbage

Kovalev: Skated like he had a 50lb bag of potatoes strapped to his back, and passed like he had the hands of Lapierre on several occasions (see below)

Lapierre: Hands of stone...just skating around out there with no real purpose

Latendresse: Does this guy ever make anything happen out there? Wasted minutes.

O'Byrne: 'Bambi' looked as shaky as ever. Christ, do we need a D-man...wake up Bob!

Markov: Apperently, there was a 2-for-1 deal on those 50lb sacks of potatoes...and Kovalev and Markov went shopping together. Couldn't tell if he was playing hurt, or just lazy.

They were all bad, but these guys just stood out more to me than some of the others. A couple of them, because they are usually very good for us. Others, becuase they always seem to be shit and I'm getting sick of seeing them out there. Overall, this game made me want to puke. So much so that I hope Coach Carbonneau puts these lazy bastards through a 'no pucks' practice that makes them all want to puke around 9am tomorrow morning. :puke: :puke: :puke:

Great Idea! Edited by brboo

Well, part of what went on there is the absence of Hamrlik. People don't realize that he is almost as essential as Markov to the overall functioning of our defence. However, this isn't just a one-game thing.

It is OBVIOUS to me - has been for a while - that these guys know full well that they are better, as in more talented, than 90% of teams. And as a result they have trouble getting motivated to play their "A" game on most nights. I'll concede that it's hard to get too fired up when you know you're better than the other guy. Especially if experience shows, as it does with this team, that you really CAN win a lot of games by playing for 20 minutes a night. Nonetheless, if you want to win in the NHL, you have to be a professional and deliver night after night. Especially when you haven`t won a single g*damned thing. Not one thing.

They should have learned this against Boston in the playoffs. There, too, they thought they could float along and whup an inferior team on sheer talent. Instead they barely survived. In a way it would have been better to have lost Game 7. Like I said earlier in this thread, there`s nothing like playoff humiliation to teach teams how to win.

Should Carbo crack the whip...I might give them 1-2 more games. That layoff was, after all, ridiculous. After that, if I`m not seeing serious buckling down, hoo boy, you BET I start laying into them. Benchings, brutal practices, etc., etc..

The only good thing about Kovalev`s dismal play is that, if it continues, it will settle the question of whether we should let him go as a UFA or even trade him at the deadline. That`ll open up more dough for young RFAs. Obviously, though, that`s a silver lining, not the preferred scenario.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I don't think it has anything to do with effort, and I reiterate my concerns about Guy Carbonneau's coaching. This is his third year behind the Canadiens' bench, and I have yet to see anything resembling a system or an identity to this team. I've said it all last year, over the summer, and a couple weeks ago, the Canadiens are very talented, they work hard, but they don't play smart efficient hockey. Mostly I see players improvising out there, especially in the offensive zone; luckily we'll win more game than we'll lose during the regular season because of skills and work ethics, but I'm afraid we'll come short again in the playoffs if things don't change.

The scariest part is that nmot once have I ever heard Carbonneau mention anything about his strategies and his system, every time a player doesn't produce or the team plays badly, it's always a lack of effort... like during the last playoffs, even though there were obvious technical reasons we lost to the Flyers, all we heard from him was a lack of effort and how the players needed to learn from that experience (which is true, but his said nothing about himself)...

the guys played badly they lost. It is not time to fire the coach overhaul the team and re-assign gainey. This will teach them a lesson and yes there is a system guy wants them to play defence first and offence second. i am not too sure what is wrong with improvising in the offensive zone. It is what the very talented do very well. I think Gretzky invented it. any way it is only 1 game and they have had a poor start to the season even if they have a lot of points. This game will prove to them that they have to get their hard hats on go to work. I am really looking forward to the next meeting with princess grabovsky and the rest of the toronto swim team in january.

I don't think it has anything to do with effort, and I reiterate my concerns about Guy Carbonneau's coaching. This is his third year behind the Canadiens' bench, and I have yet to see anything resembling a system or an identity to this team. I've said it all last year, over the summer, and a couple weeks ago, the Canadiens are very talented, they work hard, but they don't play smart efficient hockey. Mostly I see players improvising out there, especially in the offensive zone; luckily we'll win more game than we'll lose during the regular season because of skills and work ethics, but I'm afraid we'll come short again in the playoffs if things don't change.

The scariest part is that nmot once have I ever heard Carbonneau mention anything about his strategies and his system, every time a player doesn't produce or the team plays badly, it's always a lack of effort... like during the last playoffs, even though there were obvious technical reasons we lost to the Flyers, all we heard from him was a lack of effort and how the players needed to learn from that experience (which is true, but his said nothing about himself)...

I respect your opinion, CC, and time will tell. However, I'm not sure it's fair to judge Carbo on what he chooses to say or not say to the media. As for tactics, hey, I don't pretend to have a superior grasp of NHL tactics, but it seems to me that this team does have a very clear identity - they're a freewheeling, high-tempo, quick transition, three-line-attack team. Their system is quite likely identical to that of Detroit.

Why is Detroit so much better, then? First, you watch them play, you'll see that every single Red Wing is personally committed to winning every single one-on-one battle at both ends of the rink every night. It would be an overstatement to say this of our Habs, God love 'em. Second, almost every Wing backchecks, smartly and effectively; there's no big gap (although Zetterberg will float around looking for the breakaway pass, if things look to be in hand in the Wings' end). Third, their D are always well-supported in their zone and are uniformly effective at making a quick, smart, breakout pass. Fourth, Detroit always deploys incredible puck support. That's why they make so many short passes in advancing the rush - there's always another guy there to support the carrier. Fifth, Detroit's D probably don't concede the zone nearly as easily as ours do. We seem to be backing in way too early, or else simply getting beat on the outside.

When we're firing on all cylanders, we look a lot like the Wings. But our D is just not as talented as Detroit's. It will always be shakier and will always be more vulnerable to an aggressive forecheck. That's where you need the other elements of the team to kick in - great puck support, determination one-on-one, tough backchecking, etc.. And this is why I think the problem is ultimately motivation and commitment to a total team game in all three zones. Right now we're a dangerous but a FUN team to play against, win or lose. That's gotta change.

If I were to consider a coaching move, it would be to add someone who specializes in coaching just the defence. A Jacques Lapperiere type. But I think the real issue, for the most part, is in the players' heads.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

well said cucumber!

now on a more positive note, we must always see the positive side, those forking leafs are at the moment in 9th place. This is perfect and exactly where I would like to see them end the season. no playoffs and no good draft pick NOW THAT IS POSITIVE :lol: :ghg: :ghg: :ghg: and fork that sumbitch garbovsky