Habs' System

JLP

What do you like and dislike about the Habs' system this year? I'm interested in HW members' analysis.

I like the PK, staying low to force shots from outside. Price is tall and can see over the traffic in front of the net, shots from beyond the faceoff circles are not so dangerous, and our shot blocking is impressive. Happy with this :clap:

I dislike the way we gain the offensive zone ~ too often a player or two are stuck at the blueline waiting for the puck carrier :angry: Yeah this can work on the PP when we can set up and cycle, but 5-on-5 I'd like to see us play the transition differently ~ after the breakout pass keep the legs (and puck) moving and get attackers in fast, with a trailer going aggressively to the net.

I like our transition game. When everyone is working hard we can move the puck in to the offensive zone with incredible speed.

I dislike the new look PP. Put Markov back on his proper side and let another defenseman take the other point. Part of the magic of our PP was the cross ice passing between Kovalev and Markov which resulted in many PP goals. With the new set up, it is gone.

Problem is the cross pass is now too predictable for the CH now.

They need to add in a mix of more simple plays with more shooting i believe. They try too much to do 3-4 tick tack toe passes before shooting.

I dislike the way we play oByrne and Latendresse plays atm- they loose every single fight for the puck and especially OByrne state of mind is going thru all NHL. If i was any forwards of the other team i would do all my plays to enter the zone on his side, or shoot the puck behind him all the time.

On a more positive note, i do like our PK which is funny because.

The main thing i dislike is the fact that players hide between their victories so far but they have yet to play to their potentiel. I question their ethic of work in a full 60 minutes game.

I dislike the way many players right now(since 2-3 games) simply dont move their feet and dont seem to give their all heart into their playing.

I like : PK, speed, offensive creativity, MARKOV

I hate: 5 on 5, lack of toughness from everybody, not punishing player crashing the net. fowards not paying the price,

carbonneau not punishing his players hard enough. always getting beat on the shot count, goalies giving too many rebounds.

I like : the rallies, the fact that we can win without having great games.

I dislike : the fact that we win even without having great games. At least, if we lost a few, we could have got a slap on the ass and start to play better and HARDER !

What I dislike the most about the habs this year is that whenever an opposing team decides to forecheck aggresively, our d-men seem to have the hardest time getting the puck out of our zone and to one of our forwards. As soon as the other team forechecks hard, it's as if our d-men panic and don't know what to do with the hot potato!

Anther thing that annoys me alot is that whenever we have the puck in the offensive zone, nobody wants to shoot the puck. THe guys are looking for the perfect pass/perfect play, and more often than not, the whole play is screwed because of one too many pass attempts! ...and when they do decide to shoot from the point, 9 out 10 shots don't make it to the net(Blocked by a forward, shot is off target, d-man breaks his stick taking the shot etc.)

What I do like is that we are very good on the PK. We seem to have improved on this aspect of the game alot this year. Then again, alot of that praise needs to go to Carey Price, who has been very good most nights!

What I dislike the most about the habs this year is that whenever an opposing team decides to forecheck aggresively, our d-men seem to have the hardest time getting the puck out of our zone and to one of our forwards. As soon as the other team forechecks hard, it's as if our d-men panic and don't know what to do with the hot potato!

I have noticed that too. The Panthers game made me aware of that problem and fearfull of it. Other teams will be watching every game the Habs loose with a lot of interest to see how some teams managed to shut the Habs down. The Panthers were highly agressive on the forecheck and the Habs offense became non existent. A more experienced 4th Dman should also help with this.

This year the thing that annoys me the most is that whenever Habs have the puck in the offensive zone, and the other team is moving the puck out of their end nobody wants to step up and check the guy. You dont need all 5 guys back to stop the puck carrieir in your own zone. Also you shouldnt have all 5 players skating the same direction. 1 of them should step and and approach the puck carrier. If the player that steps up cant successfully get the puck away from him than one of the close by trailing back checkers should be able to strip the guy of the puck and by that time the rest of the Habs should be out of the offensive zone ready to go back on the attack.

I had the same complaint last year but the Habs definitely have improved this year by not rushing back to their own zone when the other team clears the puck but there is still a lot of improvements that can be made.

With regards to the PP, I find that Carbo doesnt do a good enough job of getting markov out with the plex line. The chemistry between markov and kovy is special, and we are missing too many opportunities to see it.

I know the Koivu line is playing well, but on the PP we cant get better than Plex, Kovy, Kosty, Markov, insert-player-here.