MLB Playoffs

dlbalr

Well, the baseball playoffs start tomorrow, with a trio of games on the sked. As a result, don't expect to be able to watch anything on SNET, who's committed to showing every second of every game of every series, oh goody.

Anyways, why not make some picks?

1st round is a best of 5, 2nd and 3rd best of 7.

Matchups:

AL- Boston (WC) vs Anaheim (ALW)

AL- Minnesota (ALC) vs New York Yankees (ALE)

NL- Houston (WC) vs Atlanta (NLE)

NL- Los Angeles (NLW) vs St. Louis (NLC)

My 1st round picks:

Boston in 4

Yankees in 5

Houston in 4

Los Angeles in 5

I hate to pick Boston and the Yanks, but I have a gut feeling they'll wind up facing each other in the 2nd round. I'm rooting for Anaheim and Minnesota though.

What are your picks?

Boston in 5

New Yrok in 4 (just because you know the Red Sox and Yankees are going to have to meet again... its a great series)

Braves in 5 (they aint choking till a later round imo)

LA in 5

Originally posted by sakiqc

Boston in 3

Minnesota in 3

Atlanta in 3

St Louis in 2

No NYY - BOS matchup this year again

You may want to revise these picks, at least the last one for sure. It's best 3 of 5, not 2 of 3. (Although the first 3 picks could happen if there's sweeps.)

Originally posted by puck7x

Boston in 5

New Yrok in 4 (just because you know the Red Sox and Yankees are going to have to meet again... its a great series)

Braves in 5 (they aint choking till a later round imo)

LA in 5

I got my AL picks right both teams I picked have advanced, and I got the NY pick perfect as they won in 4 games. As for the NL well... I'm not doing as good, it looks like St Louis is going to sweep the Dodgers (at worst win in 4) and Houston is leading Atlanta 2 games to 1.

It should be a great ALCS though.

I got my AL picks right both teams I picked have advanced, and I got the NY pick perfect as they won in 4 games. As for the NL well... I'm not doing as good, it looks like St Louis is going to sweep the Dodgers (at worst win in 4) and Houston is leading Atlanta 2 games to 1.

It should be a great ALCS though.

I got both teams right, but predicted 1 extra game in each. What a lousy way for Minnesota to lose though, A-Rod steals 3rd, and scores on a Pat Borders blunder, trying to make the fancy catch instead of blocking the ball.

As for the ATL/HOU series, it's not over yet, Atlanta's "ace" in Ortiz gets the nod tomorrow, and hasn't yet thrown in the postseason. Clemens goes on 3 days rest tomorrow, and is still not feeling 100%. That being said, I expect Houston to win tomorrow.

I can't wait for the 2nd round to start in the ALCS, Mussina vs Schilling, yee haw. :)

Originally posted by dlbalr

Boston in 3

Minnesota in 3

Atlanta in 3

St Louis in 2

No NYY - BOS matchup this year again

You may want to revise these picks, at least the last one for sure. It's best 3 of 5, not 2 of 3. (Although the first 3 picks could happen if there's sweeps.)

I can revise my picks? Cool, thanks!!

Ok, humm

NYY in 4

Houston in 4

Cards in 4

Boston in 3

:king:

Simonus and I look to be the only 2 who picked all 4 winners correctly, but simonus leads overall, as he picked a series of the correct length and I did not.

Picks for the LCS:

Red Sox over the Yankees in 7

Astros over the Cards in 6

[Edited on 10-12-04 by Fanpuck33]

For the ALCS, I'll take the Sox in 7. The Yankees get game 1, the Sox take game 2 (Who's your daddy now, Pedro? :) ) After that, I'm not going to guess on who wins when, but the Sox break the curse this time.

As for the NLCS, if the series goes to 7 games, Houston takes it, as Clemens or Oswalt would be available for that one. However, it won't get that far, Cards in 6, so yes, Houston will have to lose another home game.

Game 1 of the Sox-Yanks:

Mussina had a perfect game after 6.1 IP, and an 8-0 lead. Now going into the top of the 8th it is 8-5 after the Sox put up 5 runs in the 7th.

Schilling looked terrible, but should now be available for games 4 and possibly 7 if the Sox choose to start him. He has an ankle problem so that may not end up being the case however.

That was a nice comeback try! Go Red Sox!! Beat those Yankees!

As much as I'd like to see the Red Sox beat the evil yankees I doubt its going to happen, the Yanks are just so damn strong, look at the yanks side of the 8th for instance, the Sox had narrowed the lead down to 2, the Yanks have Jeter, A-Rod, Shef, Bernie W. and Matsui hitting... Thats a crazy lineup, and the yanks got 3 runs.

God I hate NYY.

That was a nice comeback try! Go Red Sox!! Beat those Yankees!

As much as I'd like to see the Red Sox beat the evil yankees I doubt its going to happen, the Yanks are just so damn strong, look at the yanks side of the 8th for instance, the Sox had narrowed the lead down to 2, the Yanks have Jeter, A-Rod, Shef, Bernie W. and Matsui hitting... Thats a crazy lineup, and the yanks got 3 runs.

God I hate NYY.

I gotta agree.

People said the Yanks' lacked pitching. Were they wrong.

I want the Sox to win though.

:D:nono:

Incredible comeback by the Sox. They have beat the evil empire, but now the big question is, can they win it all?

Again, i'm on a "believe it when i see it" basis.

As for tonights game, i think the Cardinals will beat Roger Clemens and the Astros.

[Edited on 22/10/04 by Quebecois]