Habs @ Hurricanes | Game Thread

Fanpuck33

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AC is disgusted and really ticked about the staff not figuring out the basics. Dump it!!! Hit!!! Heck, you can't even get away with 2, 3 or 4 metre passes in Bantam (with 2 active enemy sticks in between) and the Habs were doing it over and over and it was turnover city :angry: F#CK

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

they just don't show up to play, we have a few plugs on the 4th line showing a bit of energy, the rest just look like they don't want to play... no one competes for the puck, passing is terrible, there's no passion or desire out there

time to shake things up a little, carbo needs to kick some asses.... give a few kids on the farm a game or two if thats possible

well, cancel the parade. This team needs a huge wakeup call if they are going to contend for the top positions in the east. Frankly, last year was a surprise and i had my doubts they were really as good as they looked last year. Coming back down to earth I guess. I do believe they will be a playoff team, but unless they start showing that they can win games with heart and effort when the skill lets them down, then they are not going to go too far.

The Bruins are a good example of what a hard working team with skill can do, they are going to lead the division this year if they stay healthy and keep playing hard.

This team is atrocious. I've watched the Jackets for years and not even they have ever been this bad. Over half the team was invisible tonight. Koivu, Tanguay, Plekanec, Kostopolous all might as well have been scratches. Kovalev was only not invisible because he was sucking up the place. They are terrible in all phases of the game except goaltending.

AC is disgusted and really ticked about the staff not figuring out the basics. Dump it!!! Hit!!! Heck, you can't even get away with 2, 3 or 4 metre passes in Bantam (with 2 active enemy sticks in between) and the Habs were doing it over and over and it was turnover city :angry: F#CK

You are assuming the staff don't get it.. I suspect it is the players who are not getting it. If i see one more guy whiff a lazy clear for a turn over I am going to scream.

They showed Carbo after a whistle and he sure looked as disgusted as us. :)

I like one... Lang looks good with the booby brothers. The rest is a mess, but I think that has more to do with Kovalev and Pleks sucking...

It's not as simple as that. Koivu, Higgins, and Tanguay were playing uninspired hockey tonight too...not like there were just two guys on those lines botching otherwise stellar play.

Edited by sbhatt

You are assuming the staff don't get it.. I suspect it is the players who are not getting it. If i see one more guy whiff a lazy clear for a turn over I am going to scream.

They showed Carbo after a whistle and he sure looked as disgusted as us. :)

Yeah but one would assume that you instruct your team on a style of play. Carolina played down well low too. We need to defend back there and not just allow them to camp out in Gretzky's office.

Also, the game against Philly was pretty passing that was intercepted and/or pretty passing to gain the line resulting in offsides. It was only when they started dumping it in the last 15 minutes that we came alive. 45 minutes of that systematic problem spells coaches IMO. That is unless none of the forwards listen to him/them.

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

The habs have some serious motivational issues. Something up with this team.

I think it is fairly simple..

Last year they did this a lot as well, but Pleks and Kovalev had great seasons and they won a lot of games they should not have. Streit was a surprise on the PP and helped them continue where they left off last year. When they hit the playoffs and every game was a hard hitting, high energy affair, they faded.

Unfortunately, so far this year Pleks is back to a 3rd line centre, Kovalev is lost in the woods, and we have no PP.

In this league, it is a fine line between winning and losing. Lang is better then Slo Mo and Tanguay has been great, but we are still missing that big centre and another defenseman. Finally, if they can't figure out how to jump start Kovalev, then we need a Brindamour type player that simply won't put up with that kind of shoddy effort.

have they quit on carbo?

even if they did, he wont go away.

half the team will be ufa at the end of the year.

we need real gritty players on the top lines.

Only the second full game I've watched.... what a joke.

If they won 25% of one-on-one battles, I'd be shocked. They were out-worked, out-hustled and out-played in every aspect of the game (except in net, credit where credit is due, Price was other-worldly). The gap between forwards and defense was atrocious, at times I was wondering if they were getting ready for the Grey Cup by going for long bombs. The line combinations showed no chemistry whatsoever. Defensive zone coverage and puck pursuit were almost non-existant.

I mean, you have to credit the Canes for coming out and playing a really good game, but seriously. Seriously? Is that what Montreal has to offer?

I have never seen more lazy passes, pass receptions, and lost pucks due to inattention before in my life in the NHL. Pucks rolling off sticks, stupid lazy receptions leading to turnovers and goals... it was just abysmal. While normally I'd agree with taking Laraque out of the lineup for a game like that, this team needs a spark. It needs something. Maybe taking an instigator to beat the living pulp out of someone is an answer, I don't know. Certainly, I have no clue why Chipper isn't in the lineup, or MaxPac either. I could name a half dozen players who are welcome to sit.

(Yes, I know and understand how the cap works and how waivers work, I'm just pointing out that this team needs something they're badly lacking.)

Where's the motivation? Where's the initiative? Other than the brief yet incisive power play display to start the second period when we scored, Montreal showed pretty much nothing. Does no one shoot on the power plays anymore? What, we've decided that since Streit and Souray are gone we must have to pass it in the net? SHOOT THE FRIKKIN PUCK. It doesn't have to be hard, it just has to hit the net. You don't score on 100% of the pucks you don't shoot. The difference between this year's PP and previous incarnations? NO ONE SHOOTS.

You know what the Habs reminded me of? A team playing shinny. You know, that bull puckey perimeter crap where you wave your stick at the opponent and attempt to keep with them, albeit one step behind. Other than one or two players, there was no physical contact. Carolina was allowed to move at will on the ice. What's even worse than all that, however, is that there just wasn't effort. It's one thing to play shinny and still use your skill to win games (see: early in the season), it's quite another to play shinny and allow pucks to drool off sticks, pass horribly, and look like you generally don't care.

This team needs focus, and it needs it badly. I'll tell you what else it needs, a bonified defensive plan. Raise your hand if you're sick and tired of watching the team run around in the defensive end like chickens sans head. For how many years have we had to put up with a defensively berift team that relies on goaltending? Don't get me wrong, I think we have talented defenders - our top-three rival the best teams in the league... or at least they should in a proper defensive system. Our system, however, is bunk.

Sergei needs to sit. For a while. Or go back to the minors and cede his spot to someone who cares. He's pathetic out there. Has Kovy played like that all year? He needs a smack upside the head. Markov - and I love Markov - was completely unfocused and looked more like Denny than Andrei. And I'm sorry, I love the guy, heart and soul, but Begin? Really? He's good on a team with Witehall and Lind. I'm not saying we don't need his type of player, because we do. But we need the next evolution of his type player. There's a reason he was up for grabs on waivers so many years ago. He should be a heart and soul player on a bottom feeding team. Not one with *snicker* Stanley Cup aspirations.

I felt embarassment for Brisebois because he hasn't lost a step, he's lost a windsprint. Seeing his legs "pump" is like watching an old Dutch windmill in a mild breeze. Pun mildly intended. Oh, and can someone put out an APB on Thomas Plekanec? 5'10, speedy, and supposed to be a top-six forward. Usually wears number 14, but I think his shirt was stolen by a reincarnation of Fat Kyle Wellwood. (Not to be mistaken for Chubby Kyle Wellwood of this season who can actually play.)

The rest of the team was, by and large, varying degrees of "meh." Unfortunately, this is the NHL, and "meh" just doesn't cut it. You can't win games on "meh" alone. There were a few solid plays, some less than stellar. Georges is turning into a very good defensive defender. Cube is Cube - I enjoyed one 15 second sequence where he actually went in two complete 360's behind our own net. Very entertaining. The Russian judge gave a 5.4. Koivu and Tanguay has some ups, some downs, and were mostly held back by Streamy McLazy Hair. You know, that 27 character... reminds one of Malakhov actually. Tons of skill, little motivation.

Incidentally, I can't understand at all why people are on the case of Latendresse. For the situations in which he's being used? Doing a fine job. Fine indeed. In fact, he's even trying to carry the play a little, and what more can you ask of a YOUNG kid still learning his craft and more importantly how to use his body. Here's a suggestion: if you really don't like him because he's French, think of him as Garry Softlove. I mean hey! This Softlove guy can hit! He also controls the puck and it was his line that was the most consistent tonight.

Which reminds me. Kostopoulous? Or however you spell that monstrosity... Why do people want him out of the lineup? Is it because of his hustle? His willingness to hit? Or maybe it's because he keeps opponents accountable to a degree. If it helps, think of him as Guillaume Kostopuolet. Or if you just don't like the Greek bent of his name, how about just Tom Kostan. There. Problem solved.

If only solving the problems of the team were easier. Coach?

Well, another pathetic performance tonight. our boys showed up for moments in teh 2nd period, and our best line out there was teh 4th line(Bégin, Dandy and Tenderness). Obviously, Price did very well, his team just didn't show up again.

Like Colin said so well, I don't remember a team missing soo many passes, fanning on teh puck, passes in the skates etc... They were nonchalant out there, and they didn't seem to care.

I know that we're only 17 games into the season, but I must admit I'm starting to worry a little. I'm not saying that i'm starting to panic, but I am starting to worry a little. This team is just plain lazy...and I find that unacceptable. It'OK to lose if you give 100% every night, but to lose because you simply did not put in any effort, is unacceptable!

Edited by Habsfan

What always annoys me with these slumps is that it always looks like all the "big guns" go quiet all at the same time. Guys that are on the top of the payroll lists never seem to get real angry and play with a vengence. They just keep cruising.

We could use a couple more guys with Komisarek's competitive nature, guys that hates to lose.