Sign in to follow this  
dlbalr

Habs Salary Cap Info and FAQ's

It depends if there are any other teams who claimed the player on waivers.  If there are... you have to offer him to those teams.

Im unclear if you have to offer him back to his first team too... but dlb seems to think you dont when this came up earlier.  I think hes right.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, John B said:

Last year the Penguins claimed Mike Condon on waivers from the Habs and then traded him to Ottawa when his services were no longer needed.  I was under the impression that you couldn't trade a player acquired on waivers unless he were to successfully pass through waivers again.  I don't remember the Penguins placing Condon on waivers prior to dealing him (I'm thinking if they would have, Ottawa would have just claimed him instead of giving up a pick).  I only ask because the Habs are in a similar situation with Niemi.  Could they deal Niemi if they wanted to (if someone would want him)?

Condon didn't go through waivers a second time because no one else had claimed him when Montreal waived him (Pittsburgh was at the back of the waiver priority list) so he was free to be dealt.  If anyone else claimed Niemi, the Habs would have to waive him and have him go unclaimed in order to deal him.  If not, then they should be able to trade him.  That said, does he really have much, if any, trade value?

Bit of a "cart before the horse" situation here, but it looks very much like Mete will hit this milestone. 

It's certainly disappointing - management is prioritizing nine/ten largely meaningless weeks ahead of an entire additional year of team control and RFA status.  It's extremely short-sighted thinking, especially if he's only playing 15 minutes per game.

I'll devil's advocate, even though I agree he might as well play in junior the rest of the season...

Mete's development doesn't appear to have been stunted by low minutes in the NHL vs high minutes in junior, and the Habs need a feel-good story to point to for the future... Mete is pretty much all they have in that department.

That's all I've got.

Id argue 15 minutes of nhl is better than 25 in junior for.his development 

If he wasnt playing that would be different

I don't think that extra year of control means much at this point, that's a long long time away in the hockey world. He could be a bust or even locked up long term before then. I am mostly interested in his development right now, so I'm good with whatever route that is. 

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

Id argue 15 minutes of nhl is better than 25 in junior for.his development 

If he wasnt playing that would be different

Yes, he'll develop a bit more in the NHL playing 15 minutes over 30+ in London but he'd only be in London until late March (they'll be an early out in the playoffs after selling at the deadline).  Then he could go to Laval and he could certainly benefit from some time down there as well.  I don't think that's worth losing a year of team control (and making his next contracts slightly more expensive) over.

The second post of this thread has been updated with the contract scorecard for 2018-19 plus a listing of possible non-tender candidates.  Considering all of the signings there have been lately, it's a guarantee that a few of Montreal's restricted free agents will be let go.

I've also updated the contract page on the main site to shift everything over to next season.

Cracknell/Terry going to be resigned, or is Terry likely pissed at not being called up?

3 minutes ago, DON said:

Cracknell/Terry going to be resigned, or is Terry likely pissed at not being called up?

Don, if the CH improves as the fans expect them to: I think Carr-McCarron-Rychel could be waived (if not traded) and with Zadina(*), Vejdemo, Bitten, Evans, Addison, Alain, Verbeek joining Laval: Do you think there is room in Laval for Terry and Cracknell? 

It seems to me the Habs are moving on from these two

1 hour ago, DON said:

Terry is likely headed to Europe where he can make more money than he can in the AHL... Imo.  

Cracknell i bet comes back, and they sign another journeyman AHLer who can score (or plan to have Froese in the AHL).

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Don, if the CH improves as the fans expect them to: I think Carr-McCarron-Rychel could be waived (if not traded) and with Zadina(*), Vejdemo, Bitten, Evans, Addison, Alain, Verbeek joining Laval: Do you think there is room in Laval for Terry and Cracknell? 

Zadina is not joining laval. 

Some of those guys you mention will be in the ECHL. 

Laval will need some veteran forwards who can put up points if they want to be a playoff team (and provide a better development environment for the youth). 

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

It is the AHL and need a certain chunk of roster to be of experienced guys like a Mike Keane who played over 1100NHL games but then went and finished career with 5 years in AHL, or the journeymen Blunden or Kostopoulous's who may still hold hope of NHL stint but unlikely to happen. All the guys you noted are really just kids who are rookies pros' and cant be expected to lead team.

Thanks Commandant and Don. I've been trying to understand how draft-pick management through the pipe works so that I do not get laughed at when posting :rolleyes:

This helps 

• Like 2